Manifest Destiny

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
HalloweenJack

Manifest Destiny

Post by HalloweenJack »

Has anyone else read this?

I just happened upon it the other day and I love it. I'd love to see an HBO series of it.

In a nutshell, the story is of Lewis and Clark's expedition to explore the Louisiana Purchase and finding all sorts of bizarre monsters out in the wilds, ranging from Bison/Centaur creatures to cyclops'.
MacynSnow

Re: Manifest Destiny

Post by MacynSnow »

Sorry to tell,i had no idea it even existed.Is it any good?
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I like it quite a bit. It reminds me of a Vertigo style book.

Probably not something everyone will like because it can be pretty gruesome and the morals of the characters are....questionable...at times, but at least they admit that their morals are questionable at times.

They do do things like the standard crazy preacher guy as it goes on, but some of the men are like "Yeaaaah, I was on board with this guy at first but he's twisting things in the Bible to try and get us to do what he wants".
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I've read the first 2 (or3?) trades of it and enjoyed it quite a bit. The monsters and creatures are really interesting and have cool designs. The characters range from amoral to downright bastards, but they all play off each other really well. I really need to pick up the new trades that came out.
Formerly luketheduke86
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I like the running joke of the men calling the first creatures they encounter Minotaurs (they have buffalo heads, human torsos, and horse or buffalo-like lower bodies like centaurs) for lack of a better term, and that everyone they tell them about and describe them to are like "but....Minotaurs are half man, half bull"