Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Post Reply
Hoid
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: The Forever Tree

Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Hoid » Fri May 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Reading through my Alan Moore stuff I’m reminded of the original America’s Best Comics, who’re all public domain characters, now. I have an idea for the Forever Tree, and it involves public domain characters—-characters that are now open to anyone’s fair usage. (Dynamite, for instance, is, I believe, using the very characters Alan Moore appropriated for his version of America’s Best Comics.)

So, I’m compiling a list of such characters, and would love it if others could help out.

Thanks!

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 1762
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Ares » Fri May 11, 2018 4:04 pm


User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Batgirl III » Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm

There’s an entire wikia dedicated to public domain superheroes.

I’m personally the most fond of the Black Terror and Tim; the Owl and Owl-Girl; and the Red Bee*

* (Yellowjacket has the same gimmick and a better costume, but he has the ability to control bees as a superpower. Red Bee trained his bees! How beautifully Golden Age is that?)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Ken
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Ken » Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm

My incomplete list

Ace
-----------------------
Captain Courageous
Flag
Lash Lightning
Lone Warrior & Dicky
Magno the Magnetic Man & Davey
Vulcan

Aviation Press
-------------------
Black Venus

Centaur
-----------
Airman
Amazing Man
Arroe
Fantoman
Man of War
Masked Marvel
the Shark

Columbia
------------
the Face
Skyman

Dell
-----------
Phantasmo

EC
-----------------
Moon Girl & Prince Mengu

Fiction House
-----------------
Super American

Fox Features
------------------
Captain V, the Puppeteer
Eagle & Buddy
Flame & Flame Girl
Green Mask & Domino
Green Mask II
Stardust the Super Wizard
Thor (AKA Grant Farrell)
U.S. Jones
V-Man
Wonder Man (Fred Carson)

Great
-----------------------
Atlas the Mighty

Chesler
-----------------------
Dynamic Man
Major Victory
Mister E
Yankee Girl

Harvey Comics
-----------------------
Black Cat
Captain Freedom
Captain Red Blazer & Spark
Fly-Man
Human Meteor
Pat Parker, War Nurse
Shock Gibson (later version)
the Zebra

Hillman
-----------------------
Airboy
Black Angel

Holyoke
---------------------
Blue Streak (I)
Cat-Man & Kitten
Cyclone
Flagman
the Hood
Shock Gibson (original version)
Strongman

Lev Gleason
-----------------------
Captain Battle & Souvenir
Captain Battle Jr. (who isn't the sidekick)
Crimebuster
Daredevil
Silver Streak & Meteor/Mercury & Whiz (pet falcon)
War Eagle

Nedor/Better
-----------------------
American Crusader
American Eagle
Black Terror & Tim
Captain Future
Doc Strange (no relation)
Fighting Yank
Judy of the Jungle
Liberator
Miss Masque
Princess Pantha
Pyroman
Wonderman, Brad Spencer

Novelty Press
-----------------------
Blue Bolt (the feature that brought Simon & Kirby together)
Sub-Zero Man
Target & the Targeteers

Pelican
-----------------------
the Green Giant

Prize/Crestwood
-----------------------
Airmale & Stampy
Power Nelson
Black Owl II
Black Owl I
Doctor Frost
Green Lama (original)
Yank & Doodle (these last five) even were a superteam briefly to fight...
Frankenstein & his nemesis Bulldog Denny

Regor
-----------------------
Atomic Thunderbolt

Spark
-----------------------
Atoman
Golden Lad
Green Lama (the 'superman' version)

and getting into the 1950s...

Ajax-Farrell
------------------------
Black Cobra
Flame

Magazine Enterprises
-----------------------
the Avenger (NOT the pulp hero)

Metropolitan
-----------------------
Atomaster (recycled Spark Atoman stories)
Green Jet (recycled Spark Green Lama stories)

Prize
-----------------------
Fighting American & Speedboy (probably NOT public domain)

Sterling
-----------------------
Captain Flash & Ricky
On curves ahead...
Remember, sonny...
That's rabbit's foot...
Didn't save the bunny...
Burma-Shave

Ken
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Ken » Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 pm

And some of the heroes that DC might have some limited rights too, but have been largely ignored

Charlton (1940s)
--------------------------
Yellow Jacket
Diana, the Huntress

Charlton (1950s)
--------------------------
Nature Boy
Mister Muscles & Kid Muscles

Quality
--------------------------
Blue Tracer
Chic Carter, the Sword
Ghost of Flanders
Joe Hercules
Marksman
711
Spider Widow & the Raven
Wild Fire
Wonder Boy

Fawcett
--------------------------
Diamond Jack
Master Man

Fawcett liscened
--------------------------
Captain Midnight

Advertisments produced by C.C. Beck's studio
--------------------------
Captain Tootsie
On curves ahead...
Remember, sonny...
That's rabbit's foot...
Didn't save the bunny...
Burma-Shave

User avatar
L-Space
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by L-Space » Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm
There’s an entire wikia dedicated to public domain superheroes.

I’m personally the most fond of the Black Terror and Tim; the Owl and Owl-Girl; and the Red Bee*

* (Yellowjacket has the same gimmick and a better costume, but he has the ability to control bees as a superpower. Red Bee trained his bees! How beautifully Golden Age is that?)
Wouldn't training bees just be a huge time sink? You spend hours training the bees and then as soon as they sting one person they're dead...
Image
Formerly luketheduke86

Hoid
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: The Forever Tree

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Hoid » Fri May 11, 2018 8:51 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks! Off to search through the Intarwebz!

Shock
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Shock » Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 pm

L-Space wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm
Batgirl III wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm
There’s an entire wikia dedicated to public domain superheroes.

I’m personally the most fond of the Black Terror and Tim; the Owl and Owl-Girl; and the Red Bee*

* (Yellowjacket has the same gimmick and a better costume, but he has the ability to control bees as a superpower. Red Bee trained his bees! How beautifully Golden Age is that?)
Wouldn't training bees just be a huge time sink? You spend hours training the bees and then as soon as they sting one person they're dead...
Train the queen and let her delegate

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Batgirl III » Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm

L-Space wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm
Wouldn't training bees just be a huge time sink? You spend hours training the bees and then as soon as they sting one person they're dead...
They also have a life-span of, like, thirty-odd days. Some of which is spent as a larva... I don't know exactly how much and can't be bothered to google it. But, yeah, it's got to be a massive time-sink to constantly be training these buggers to respond to verbal commands, to wait dormant inside your belt buckle (yes, really), and to kamikaze attack bank robbers...

It's so ludicrously impractical that it loops right back around to become glorious.

Image
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

User avatar
L-Space
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by L-Space » Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm
L-Space wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm
Wouldn't training bees just be a huge time sink? You spend hours training the bees and then as soon as they sting one person they're dead...
They also have a life-span of, like, thirty-odd days. Some of which is spent as a larva... I don't know exactly how much and can't be bothered to google it. But, yeah, it's got to be a massive time-sink to constantly be training these buggers to respond to verbal commands, to wait dormant inside your belt buckle (yes, really), and to kamikaze attack bank robbers...

It's so ludicrously impractical that it loops right back around to become glorious.

Image
I just found out he also had a "favorite" bee, named Michael, that he kept in his belt buckle...
Image
Formerly luketheduke86

Hoid
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: The Forever Tree

Re: Public domain superheroes/supervillains?

Post by Hoid » Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm
L-Space wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm
Wouldn't training bees just be a huge time sink? You spend hours training the bees and then as soon as they sting one person they're dead...
They also have a life-span of, like, thirty-odd days. Some of which is spent as a larva... I don't know exactly how much and can't be bothered to google it. But, yeah, it's got to be a massive time-sink to constantly be training these buggers to respond to verbal commands, to wait dormant inside your belt buckle (yes, really), and to kamikaze attack bank robbers...

It's so ludicrously impractical that it loops right back around to become glorious.

Image
Earth-U, here we go!

Post Reply