How to fix the DCEU

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: How to fix the DCEU

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:48 pm
Ares wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:36 pm I was actually kind of bummed about Chris Pine's performance in the film, because while it's going on, all I could think was "Damn, he'd actually make a great Hal Jordan".
Hal Jordan is Nathan Fillion. Anything else and I riot.
Then you need to watch the animated film, Justice League: Doom. If you haven't already.

Sadly, Nathan's almost 50 at this point, which is getting a bit up in years to play "young, cocky airforce pilot Hal Jordan". If they'd done this 10 years ago, he'd have been a perfect fit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

my personal favorite version of Hal was Parallax.....

yeah I know it seems like I'm trying to piss in everyone's cheerios and be contrarian today, but seriously it was.

I really enjoyed the idea of a hero falling from grace and becoming the villain. I honestly loved that part of him that he was in his own mind doing the right thing and that others couldn't see that, but there was at least a little nagging feeling that he was wrong. I loved that.

Granted, I also liked Cyclops after he stopped being the boy scout....but then they really screwed the pooch on that by going too far in the other direction
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I don’t want “young and cocky” Hal Jordan, I want “old and gruff” Hal Jordan. I’m sick to death of superhero movies that feature origin stories and rookie heroes. Gimme a confident veteran. I want Raiders of the Lost Ark not Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan, Idris Elba as John Stewart, Anthony Michael Hall as Guy Gardener, Stephen Fry as the voice of CGI Ganthet, with Hugh Laurie as the voice of CGI Sinestro.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I totally see it.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

but no one loves Kyle. not anymore :cry:
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 pm but no one loves Kyle. not anymore :cry:
Kyle is kind of tough one for me. In many ways he's specific to a certain era of GL stories. Hal and Guy are much more universal for being the Cool and the Asshole GLs. John got a big push with JLU, but he's now cemeted as the straight man of the team. Kyle often seem to pale next to them because while he's supposed to be incredibly versatile (giving a weapon based on creativity to an actual creative person, imagine that), he just doesn't seem to cut the deal, as a result every time he's shown to be actually on par with the others (especially Hal) there's always someone that seem ready to start a riot (e.g. the end of Blackest Night when he channeled the White Entity).

To be honest I don't know who would be a good body cast for Kyle, but I'm totally on-board with BGIII's choices.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kyle was always my favourite GL for a time - I agree though, he`s time period specific. For me it was a combo of a certain style of art, the new costume and the aforementioned creative person given a weapon based on creativity.

I googled fancast for Kyle, and I`m kinda partial to Joseph Gordon Levitt
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mark Harmon should play Green Lantern. Alongside John Wesley Shipp as the Flash.

What, it says, right over here that I'm from Earth-Two. Of course I mean Alan Scott and Jay Garrick. =================================>
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 pm but no one loves Kyle. not anymore :cry:
Kyle is kind of tough one for me. In many ways he's specific to a certain era of GL stories. Hal and Guy are much more universal for being the Cool and the Asshole GLs. John got a big push with JLU, but he's now cemeted as the straight man of the team. Kyle often seem to pale next to them because while he's supposed to be incredibly versatile (giving a weapon based on creativity to an actual creative person, imagine that), he just doesn't seem to cut the deal, as a result every time he's shown to be actually on par with the others (especially Hal) there's always someone that seem ready to start a riot (e.g. the end of Blackest Night when he channeled the White Entity).

To be honest I don't know who would be a good body cast for Kyle, but I'm totally on-board with BGIII's choices.

maybe back in the day, Buffy season 2-3 Nicholas Brendon.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Wood, who currently has a recurring role on Supergirl as Mon-El, might be a good fit for Kyle Raynor.

Now, people are going to hate me for this, but I honestly and sincerely think that Ryan Reynolds would be a good Kyle Raynor.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

naw, I can see that.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:20 pm Chris Wood, who currently has a recurring role on Supergirl as Mon-El, might be a good fit for Kyle Raynor.

Now, people are going to hate me for this, but I honestly and sincerely think that Ryan Reynolds would be a good Kyle Raynor.
My only issue with Reynolds is when I watch his Deadpool, and then I watch his Hannibal King and find them to be virtually the same. His Gl was also very similar, just less cussin IMO.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Reynolds is one of those actors who pretty much just has one persona, that he uses in different films. There a a lot of actors who do the same thing: Tom Cruise, Burt Reynolds, Bruce Campbell, John Wayne, Adam Sandler... Not in every movie, sure, and some of these actors are excellent. But let’s face it, if someone says “this is a Tom Cruise movie” you already have an mental picture of what it’s going to be. And it ain’t Magnolia.