First Strike: A Hasbro Comic Book Event

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Darrin Kelley

First Strike: A Hasbro Comic Book Event

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I just finished this. Got the final issues of it and its tie-ins just today in the mail.

My general view of it is this:

It's too 'edgy', too bleak, too adult for what is supposed to be a set of kids properties. It forced classic characters to act out of character. And that's a disappointment to me.

I'm also very tired of the habit modern writers have of: Turning heroes into villains. It's not imaginative. It's not amusing. It's not clever. It's just a writer acting out like a spoiled brat. Because they are cynical and hate what they are working on.
Jetstream

Re: First Strike: A Hasbro Comic Book Event

Post by Jetstream »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm I just finished this. Got the final issues of it and its tie-ins just today in the mail.

My general view of it is this:

It's too 'edgy', too bleak, too adult for what is supposed to be a set of kids properties. It forced classic characters to act out of character. And that's a disappointment to me.

I'm also very tired of the habit modern writers have of: Turning heroes into villains. It's not imaginative. It's not amusing. It's not clever. It's just a writer acting out like a spoiled brat. Because they are cynical and hate what they are working on.
Wait, what hero did they turn into a villain? I haven't read the book yet, but I looked up a synopsis and I don't see any heroes becoming villains.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 amWait, what hero did they turn into a villain? I haven't read the book yet, but I looked up a synopsis and I don't see any heroes becoming villains.
Joe "G.I. Joe" Colton himself was revealed just before First Strike started to be the Baron Ironblood. The very founder of G.I. Joe was revealed to be the current leader of Cobra. And was involved in a plot of genocide against all Transforners.

They took the most patriotic character of G.I. Joe and turned him into nothing more than Adolf Hitler.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That sounds depressing. IDW in general hasn't been overly impressing me with their crossover setting. I love the concept, but Revolution was overall "okay", as opposed to the fun/awesome of the He-Man/ThunderCats or Future Quest crossovers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Ares wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 am That sounds depressing. IDW in general hasn't been overly impressing me with their crossover setting. I love the concept, but Revolution was overall "okay", as opposed to the fun/awesome of the He-Man/ThunderCats or Future Quest crossovers.
I followed Revolution. And I liked it well enough. It created an interesting universe.

But First Strike wasn't a worthy follow-up. In my opinion. I think IDW really dropped the ball with it.

I did follow He-Man/Thundercats. And I loved it.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:31 am
Jetstream wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 amWait, what hero did they turn into a villain? I haven't read the book yet, but I looked up a synopsis and I don't see any heroes becoming villains.
Joe "G.I. Joe" Colton himself was revealed just before First Strike started to be the Baron Ironblood. The very founder of G.I. Joe was revealed to be the current leader of Cobra. And was involved in a plot of genocide against all Transforners.

They took the most patriotic character of G.I. Joe and turned him into nothing more than Adolf Hitler.
Ah. I'm not super familiar with GI Joe. I thought maybe you were referring to Merklynn, and I was gonna be all like "Merklynn was never a hero" :D
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Nah, Merklynn was a douchebag who freely aided the villains as well as the heroes. It took like 97 betrayals on the part of the Darkling Lords to get him to FINALLY cut them off :).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

As a MEGA fan of all things Joe related(i can even tell you all the characters' birthday's by rote),i thought IDW would've treated Colton better than what they did.Their current Joe comics weren't bad,a little dark maybe,but it still all fit into the joe continuty nicely.....
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Thank God Sitterton's mess got cancelled before it released, though. Fans that love the franchise enough to memorize birthdays would have flipped their shit over his, uh, "artistic license" changing established characters for no good reason.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

BriarThrone wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 am Thank God Sitterton's mess got cancelled before it released, though. Fans that love the franchise enough to memorize birthdays would have flipped their shit over his, uh, "artistic license" changing established characters for no good reason.
See,in my opinion if you have a reason to change them & it fit's with their Concept(like Mercer being an ex- Cobra Viper but really being a double agent)then It's fine with me as long as it fit's into continuty......Point of intrest: the main reason i know their birthday's is 'cause my birthday happens to be the same as one of them.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I heard about the Sitterson mess long after I ordered the first two issues of Scarlett's Strike Force. And I had really been looking forwaard to that book. Because I like the team of characters.

The people who lose out with the book's cancellation are the ones who were primed to buy it. It's the fans IDW ends up punishing the most with the cancellation.

But we are also talking about First Strike. Which the Sitterson flak directly torpedoed the sales of. Hasbro should be pissed!