Bendis moving to DC

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Horsenhero

Re: Bendis moving to DC

Post by Horsenhero »

Ares wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:14 am
Horsenhero wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 pm

it wasn't the fans, but rather Geoff Johns that demanded his rehabilitation.
I'm guessing you never heard of HEAT, or Hal's Emerald Advancement Team. Once Hal went full on Parallax, Hal's fans formed a group to try and get him brought back. They basically had a near- decade long combination letter writing campaign and online petition signing, as well as posting on the official DC Message Board.

Now, you can argue how successful they were, but we did see DC reverse their position on their being a single GL, then we got Hal Jordan brought back as the Spectre, we saw the Guardians and Kilowog brought back to life, and basically the return of the Green Lantern Corps. All before Geoff Johns got involved and brought Hal back as a GL.

So yeah, Johns brought Hal back, but there was a concentrated effort by fans to let DC know they wanted Hal back.
Nah, I never heard of HEAT and I would have mocked the mercilessly if I had. While it's harder to ignore the haters and whiners and misogynists and racists now, I still manage to do so fairly successfully. Sure I've had to block more than a few people on DA for taking offense at my support of women in the industry, but it hasn't hurt any of my own projects or paying commissions to do so.

At the end of the day, DC has the comic industry's #1 serial sexual harasser and predator on their payroll (Eddie Berganza) as a group editor on the Superman titles, so hiring Bendis seems pretty harmless by comparison. Heck, if anything maybe he'll help marginalize EB further, which can't be anything but good.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Horsenhero wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am
Ares wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:14 am
Horsenhero wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 pm

it wasn't the fans, but rather Geoff Johns that demanded his rehabilitation.
I'm guessing you never heard of HEAT, or Hal's Emerald Advancement Team. Once Hal went full on Parallax, Hal's fans formed a group to try and get him brought back. They basically had a near- decade long combination letter writing campaign and online petition signing, as well as posting on the official DC Message Board.

Now, you can argue how successful they were, but we did see DC reverse their position on their being a single GL, then we got Hal Jordan brought back as the Spectre, we saw the Guardians and Kilowog brought back to life, and basically the return of the Green Lantern Corps. All before Geoff Johns got involved and brought Hal back as a GL.

So yeah, Johns brought Hal back, but there was a concentrated effort by fans to let DC know they wanted Hal back.
Nah, I never heard of HEAT and I would have mocked the mercilessly if I had.
Why? I mean, don't get me wrong, there were segments of that fandom that did deserve ridicule, the same kind of idiots on either side of the Gamer Gate fiasco that start sending threats to people they don't like. But for the most part they were just fans of a character who had a long history at DC that didn't care for him and his mythos to be completely destroyed and the character turned into a gibbering madman. If they hadn't done so much to show that there was still interest in the character, Hal could have remained a villain, remained dead or remained the Spectre.
While it's harder to ignore the haters and whiners and misogynists and racists now, I still manage to do so fairly successfully. Sure I've had to block more than a few people on DA for taking offense at my support of women in the industry, but it hasn't hurt any of my own projects or paying commissions to do so.
Well, I'm glad you manage to avoid the hating-whining-misogynist-racist segments of the internet, know how to use a block button, support women in the industry (which is an admirable cause), and apparently pay people for work they do for you. But apart from virtue signaling, that's not really relevant.
At the end of the day, DC has the comic industry's #1 serial sexual harasser and predator on their payroll (Eddie Berganza) as a group editor on the Superman titles, so hiring Bendis seems pretty harmless by comparison. Heck, if anything maybe he'll help marginalize EB further, which can't be anything but good.
Technically, no, they don't. Eddie has been suspended, possibly soon to be fired from DC. But even if that wasn't the case, it'd be somewhat disingenuous to say that "Company X already has Horrible Person Y working for them, them hiring Pretty Bad Person J isn't a big deal". That just means that DC might have questionable hiring practices.

The problems people have with Bendis (and Hickman) are completely different than those of Eddie. If the allegations are true, the problems with Eddie are much, MUCH worse, and have actual legal repercussions for his actions. But those problems are due to Eddie being a terrible human being. The problems with Bendis is because of his actual work and the impact he's had on his previous company.

Bendis and Hickman both had a major influence on the direction of the Marvel universe for years, and the train wreck they left behind has people worried about what could happen at DC. DC is still trying to dig itself out of the mess that was the Nu-52, and while Rebirth was a course correction, it hasn't completely fixed all of its issues either. I mean, the pair of them literally broke the Marvel Universe and that combined with their own writing quirks has people understandably concerned. Now, if both of them are only given writing duties on books that play to their strengths and not allowed to really shape the direction of the company, this could be fine. Bendis might work fine on a Suicide Squad or Outsiders-type book, Hickman could finally do his Legion of Superheroes story, but if they're given more influence than that, a DCU that hasn't completely fixed itself might wind up getting a different flavor of Disassembled.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'd laugh if Hickman just did his "Avengers LOSH" story with the actual Legion, like he'd always wanted.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

I really think it's just much ado about nothing at this point. Though I have the feeling some people might disagree, I don't consider either Bendis or Hickman to be a "Bad Person". Sure, Hickman might write stuff that's dry and needlessly convoluted but that doesn't make him bad. Similar goes for Bendis. They're hardly the first, nor will they be the last to move characters away from their established centers...I mean at one point Frank Castle was made into an Angel of vengeance and the character survived.

Unless a new wrinkle comes about, he won't be replacing Johns as DC's creative director, so while he might have some contribution in that area, it will still be subject to supervision.

Now, one of the rumored reasons he left Marvel was the dissolution of Marvel's "Creative Committee" which gave the members a chance to kibbitz on television and film projects as well as just comics and DC might give him the chance to do just that. Gossip has it he remains a little miffed at Kevin Feige about that. Also, another rumor has it he'd reached the top of his pay scale at Marvel and at DC he will still have some upward mobility in that department. Having been "poached" before myself for better pay doing a similar job, I can't say I'd blame him if that's true.

So yeah, Bendis might go to DC and "ruin everything"...or not. Whatever the case may be, DC certainly thought it was worth their time and money to woo him away from Marvel.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

He destroyed Marvel. Now he gets to destroy DC.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm He destroyed Marvel. Now he gets to destroy DC.
No, he doesn't. DC was destroyed years ago. All he gets to do is hinder the rebuilding even further than it already is.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm No, he doesn't. DC was destroyed years ago. All he gets to do is hinder the rebuilding even further than it already is.
Both Marvel and DC were destroyed decades ago, When they decided events took precedence over everything else. They stopped being about actual good stories. And became about naked profiteering.

Bendis made things considerably worse with Marvel. Pressing them into amping up the importance of events to an even larger extent than it had been prior to him. What little story quality there was went out the window completely across the board because of Bendis.

DC has been on a minor recovery with Rebirth. A minor one. Adding Bendis to the mix will kill what little recovery that has been going on.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

So does anybody have a guess as to which DC character Kitty Pryde will be dating now?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm So does anybody have a guess as to which DC character Kitty Pryde will be dating now?
Terra.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Wait-what am I missing with that reference? I admit I haven't followed any of the X-books for quite a while, except for the departed Wolverine and the X-Men, which was about, y'know, a school for young mutants (man, what a concept! Why didn't Stan Lee ever think of that?), which had Kitty as an instructor/mentor (and not really dating anyone, IIRC).

How old is she supposed to be, in-universe, anyway? When a young adult Colossus and a high school sophomore age Shadowcat were mutually crushing on each other, it seemed a little...borderline.

All my best.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Well, Fan Favorite Brian Michael Bendis had Peter Parker and Kitty Pryde date in Ultimate Spider-Man, and then regular universe Peter Quill and her got married (I think?) when he was running Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kitty got aged up by Warren Ellis in Excalibur, when he had her hook up with Warren Ellis-expy Pete Wisdom. I think it's acknowledged that she's "over 18" now. Poor Franklin Richards, though...

I just realized! Pete Ross' single days are numbered!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

At least it'll add a little more intrest into Superman's non-powered supporting cast for a change........ :lol:
Ken

Post by Ken »

And my wisecrack about Terra was just a joke based on people saying (before the Big Reveal) that Terra was DC's attempt at giving the Titans their own Kitty Pryde. Since, back in the day, a lot of people said Marv and George were trying to ape the Uncanny X-Men.

Marv Wolfman has said this is false; they were trying to do a pseudo-family book like the Fantastic Four.

However, I feel obliged to point out that the X-Men were Marvel's own attempt at aping the Fantastic Four so...

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So they're going to give Bendis a Superman book? The guy who is best at writing talking heads, flawed protagonists and street level adventures is going to handle . . . SUPERMAN? Why not put him on a Batman book or a new Outsiders book? Let him have his weird ragtag bunch of misfits series that he's better suited for?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.