Bendis moving to DC

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
bsdigitalq

Bendis moving to DC

Post by bsdigitalq »

https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-bendi ... &view=list

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy...
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Bendis moving to DC

Post by Ares »

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ah man, I've mostly been enjoying DC since Rebirth... Bendis better not screw it up!
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

Oh fuck.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Well,there goes the Neighborhood.....
Ken

Post by Ken »

I don't know about that. That particular neighbourhood was ground to ruin several years ago. It just means the slow road to recovery has just gotten slower.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Justice League you never knew you wanted- page after page of David Mamet-speak talking heads, with Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman engaging in snarky smack-talk that sounds like it came from the same person!
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Bendis has had some good ideas, but often suffers from poor execution. My major problem with BMB is that characters tend to get twisted until they're unrecognizable to benefit the story as opposed to keeping the characters true to their established personalities and figuring out how to make the stories work under those circumstances. Essentially Bendis is a lazy writer.

That being said...his style of writing ought to be an easier fit in the DCU. DC already changes it's characters on a fairly consistent basis (Superman Red/Superman Blue for example) or gives wild latitude with storytelling (Batman Metal, Scott Snyder's entire Batman run), allowing writers to manipulate personalities, back stories, etc pretty much at will, which suits Bendis' style better than Marvel ever did. DC fans are more okay with it too, after all DC pretty much committed character assassination on Hal Jordan to make him Parallax and it wasn't the fans, but rather Geoff Johns that demanded his rehabilitation.

So while I'm still never going to list Bendis as a favorite creator (though he ranks higher than alt-right heroes like Chuck Dixon), DC is a better "home" for him than Marvel in my opinion.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Sounds like Jonathan Hickman may be doing some work for DC too. Link
Formerly luketheduke86
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay, now I'm concerned.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

L-Space wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm Sounds like Jonathan Hickman may be doing some work for DC too. Link
I don't know weither to be Apalled by this future train wreck or Intriged by the upcoming Carnage.... :shock:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Maybe a new, same but different, version of Wandjina can join the Justice League.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:44 pm Maybe a new, same but different, version of Wandjina can join the Justice League.
I hope your joking,as that whole mess was one of the WORST Justice League stories ever(it was OK in the Detroit years,but not later.....) :(
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 am
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:44 pm Maybe a new, same but different, version of Wandjina can join the Justice League.
I hope your joking,as that whole mess was one of the WORST Justice League stories ever(it was OK in the Detroit years,but not later.....) :(
Funny enough, but when I think of a Bendis Justice League, I think JL Detroit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Horsenhero wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 pm

it wasn't the fans, but rather Geoff Johns that demanded his rehabilitation.
I'm guessing you never heard of HEAT, or Hal's Emerald Advancement Team. Once Hal went full on Parallax, Hal's fans formed a group to try and get him brought back. They basically had a near- decade long combination letter writing campaign and online petition signing, as well as posting on the official DC Message Board.

Now, you can argue how successful they were, but we did see DC reverse their position on their being a single GL, then we got Hal Jordan brought back as the Spectre, we saw the Guardians and Kilowog brought back to life, and basically the return of the Green Lantern Corps. All before Geoff Johns got involved and brought Hal back as a GL.

So yeah, Johns brought Hal back, but there was a concentrated effort by fans to let DC know they wanted Hal back.