What are you reading?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
CTPhipps

What are you reading?

Post by CTPhipps »

Pretty much the common mantle of how these sorts of threads work.

Tell us what you're reading and it's any good.

:)

Me? I'm currently reading Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley. It's the prequel novel to the original Bioshock game and actually really good, which I did not expect. Not only is the author clearly familiar with the games on an intimate level but he manages to describe how the city is created and reached its self-destructive phase in a very believable manner.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
Ares
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Ares »

Right now I'm reading an old Doc Savage pulp story called "The Fortress of Solitude", which introduces one of the few people to ever challenge the Man of Bronze twice: John Sunlight.

I love these old pulp stories, everything from the prose to the crazy adventures. Plus Doc had an arctic Fortress of Solitude decades before Superman.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I've been going through the collections of Transformers: More than meets the eye as they come up on Comixology Unlimited.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I haven't been able to get any of the books I'd been wanting to read in awhile, so not much on the reading front. Maybe soon though, my dad recommended to me a book his freind wrote, "The Invisible Library", so I might pick that up later.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I'm currently reading the Locke Lamora books. Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora (which I really liked!) and have barely started the next one, Red Seas Under Red Skies.

I'll have to check out BioShock: Rapture, I loved the BioShock games.
Formerly luketheduke86
CTPhipps

Post by CTPhipps »

Oh, I love The Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's sequels aren't great but they're very very good.

And funny!
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
kingkasara

Post by kingkasara »

Ghosts of Karnak by George Mann. It's part of his Ghost series which features the titular character, who is basically the Shadow in steampunk 1920s New York. It's fun for this alone, but I also like it as its a spin-off from the same author's Newbury & Hobbes series, which features a pair of investigators for Her Majesty in a steampunk Victorian England. Both series also have occult threats (black magic, and extradimensional entities that tend towards the Lovecraftian) that pop up, often in conjunction with the steampunk threats themselves. It's not the most complex of plots, but quite fun, and Mann writes very pulpy action sequences.

I have several other half-finished books in a pile, but that's the one I'm really tackling right now. Highly recommend for anyone who likes that sort of thing.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

CTPhipps wrote:Oh, I love The Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's sequels aren't great but they're very very good.

And funny!
I've heard that about the sequels, but yea Lies was a fantastic read with a great mixture of fun, action, and drama. The last third of that book though :(.
Formerly luketheduke86
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

I'm reading Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie. It's a history of the naval arms race between Britain and Germany in the late 19th to early 20th centuries and its part in the coming of World War One. A thousand pages of dense military and political history but it's still thrilling because of the outlandish characters of the time and the sense of impending disaster that everyone can see coming but nobody is trying to avert.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Slott/Allred Silver Surfer continues to be magnificent. The most-recent issue features Norrin & Dawn going to a dimension of nothing but games & gambling. Naturally, The Grandmaster is the house. The Surfer, egged-on by Dawn, who hates that he's taking her only to safe places, ends up losing his Board in a game.

The climax sees the Grandmaster engage in the ultimate game of poker with the Surfer, with his Board, the Power Cosmic, his ability to say his "B"s and Dawn's ability to see the color red (long story) up against something of equal importance to the Grandmaster. The ending rules, as the Surfer comes up with the greatest solution to the ultimate risk.

Also, Mephisto challenges a fiddle of gold against someone's soul. And the Surfer laughs his ass off.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Finished reading the Hanging Tree which is the latest of the PC Peter Grant novels. Whilst it doesn't quite match up to the end of Broken Homes (Book 4), it is very good and I highly recommend the series.