Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
User avatar
Scots Dragon
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 pm
Location: Trapped in England

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Scots Dragon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 pm

People on the left hate Nick Spencer's work on the Captain America books, and his political views in general, and are celebrating his being removed from them. The most celebrated Marvel stuff amongst the left I've seen is Al Ewing's stuff, the Angela stuff written by Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennet, and the Ms. Marvel material.

Nick Spencer's stuff and the whole Secret Wars event? Universally reviled.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Ares » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm just going to say this about Anita Sarkeesian. The idea that there is some sexist elements in game design and in the gamer fanbase is not unwarranted. There are some segments of the gamer community that view it as a boys club and a lot of game designers include a lot of fanservice to appeal to male gamers (as well as lesbians and bi-sexuals that find similar things appealing). I've heard stories about how some game developers hard to push much harder to get games with female leads made, If someone were to argue those points well, bring in actual facts, do it in a way that didn't attack gaming as a whole and be willing to meet on some kind of middle ground for open discussion, it could lead towards productive debate.

The problem is that Anita doesn't want a debate, and Anita is about censorship. She went before the United Nations and stated point blank that she doesn't care what the legal definition of harassment is, she believes it should include people telling her that "she sucks" and "she's a liar". She wants "harassment" to be changed to include anyone who criticizes her. Now the problem with her complaining about people telling her that she sucks and that she's a liar is . . . well, the people saying so are factually correct.

Anita is bad at her job. Now, if you were to base this off of how much money she makes, then no, Anita is actually great at her job. She's gotten a ton of money from fans of her videos and through donations. But in terms of actual work done . . .no, she's not very good. She does very poor research with the games she works on, and will often use factually incorrect data to support her argument. She also doesn't seem to actually play the games she reviews herself, and there have been allegations that she actually steals footage from other people to use in her reviews. Which leads to-

Anita is a liar. In several of her videos, Anita has outright lied about the context of a scene solely to further her own argument, often directly contradicting what is happening in the game itself. When talking about Far Cry 3, she get virtually every element of Citra's character wrong, portraying her as some kind of fetishized native girl the hero can win as a reward and who uses exotic tribal powers . . . when in the game, Citra is a villain who uses drugs to manipulate the player, is not actually a native of the island and if the player succumbs to her, will wind up killing his friends and be murdered by her. In her Hitman review, she says the game dehumanizes women and rewards you for killing them, when the game actually goes the extra mile to humanize them and will penalize you for killing them. Anita will outright lie about the topic of discussion and misconstrue facts to help her argument, including whether or not she's actually a gamer herself. You can find a video outlining several of these points here.

Anita is a hypocrite. Anita has claimed to be anti-harassment, owing to her own harassment by people online and specifically citing GamerGate and their supporters as prime examples. It is worth noting, however, the FBI has cleared GamerGate as not being a hate group, nor could they find any substantial evidence of the death threats Antia alleged. Yet in this year at VidCon, Anita harassed a member of her audience, Sargon of Akkad, who admittedly is one of her critics online. However, he was simply sitting in the audience, listening to a panel he paid to attend, and Anita singled him out to insult him. And despite this being against VidCon policy of presenters targeting audience members, she got away with it. And it's worth pointing out that Sargon is not someone who harasses Anita, he does genuinely discourages harassment and his videos rarely feature her, and when they do, it's only to debunk something she's said that is factually incorrect. But despite it being against VidCon rules, when given the opportunity to harass someone who she didn't like, she took it. And as an added bit of hypocrisy, Anita doesn't believe you can be sexist towards men.

I don't believe that the video game industry is perfect, nor is the comic book industry, or the movie industry, or any industry, really. But if you're going to criticize something, and more to the point, monetize that criticism, then there needs to be something factually sound to your critic. Anita makes her living off of factually incorrect arguments, shaming people she doesn't agree with, playing the victim when it suits her, and treating any criticism of her as harassment. No one deserves to be harassed, but that does not mean that anyone or any concept is above criticism, and Anita has done quite a bit that warrants criticism.

It's for all of these reasons I see Anita as a Snakeoil Sales(wo)man. When speaking of Anita, I'm often reminded of a quote by Booker T. Washington, made nearly 100 years ago, and while it was made regarding some members of the black community, it's not hard apply it to the more extreme feminists:

There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs

A story told me by a coloured man in South Carolina will illustrate how people sometimes get into situations where they do not like to part with their grievances. In a certain community there was a coloured doctor of the old school, who knew little about modern ideas of medicine, but who in some way had gained the confidence of the people and had made considerable money by his own peculiar methods of treatment. In this community there was an old lady who happened to be pretty well provided with this world’s goods and who thought that she had a cancer. For twenty years she had enjoyed the luxury of having this old doctor treat her for that cancer. As the old doctor became — thanks to the cancer and to other practice — pretty well-to-do, he decided to send one of his boys to a medical college. After graduating from the medical school, the young man returned home, and his father took a vacation. During this time the old lady who was afflicted with the “cancer” called in the young man, who treated her; within a few weeks the cancer (or what was supposed to be the cancer) disappeared, and the old lady declared herself well.

When the father of the boy returned and found the patient on her feet and perfectly well, he was outraged. He called the young man before him and said: “My son, I find that you have cured that cancer case of mine. Now, son, let me tell you something. I educated you on that cancer. I put you through high school, through college, and finally through the medical school on that cancer. And now you, with your new ideas of practicing medicine, have come here and cured that cancer. Let me tell you, son, you have started all wrong. How do you expect to make a living practicing medicine in that way?”

I am afraid that there is a certain class of race problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public.

User avatar
Scots Dragon
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 pm
Location: Trapped in England

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Scots Dragon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Seems my initial instincts were right.

It's obvious my political instincts are pretty much at odds with basically the entire atmosphere here, and for the sake of my own mental health I'm not sticking around to piss myself off. Just know that I think you're wrong on pretty much every level and are pretty much just mainlining the kool aid there.

Bye.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.

User avatar
M4C8
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by M4C8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Ares wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm
I'm just going to say this about Anita Sarkeesian. The idea that there is some sexist elements in game design and in the gamer fanbase is not unwarranted. There are some segments of the gamer community that view it as a boys club and a lot of game designers include a lot of fanservice to appeal to male gamers (as well as lesbians and bi-sexuals that find similar things appealing). I've heard stories about how some game developers hard to push much harder to get games with female leads made, If someone were to argue those points well, bring in actual facts, do it in a way that didn't attack gaming as a whole and be willing to meet on some kind of middle ground for open discussion, it could lead towards productive debate.

The problem is that Anita doesn't want a debate, and Anita is about censorship. She went before the United Nations and stated point blank that she doesn't care what the legal definition of harassment is, she believes it should include people telling her that "she sucks" and "she's a liar". She wants "harassment" to be changed to include anyone who criticizes her. Now the problem with her complaining about people telling her that she sucks and that she's a liar is . . . well, the people saying so are factually correct.

Anita is bad at her job. Now, if you were to base this off of how much money she makes, then no, Anita is actually great at her job. She's gotten a ton of money from fans of her videos and through donations. But in terms of actual work done . . .no, she's not very good. She does very poor research with the games she works on, and will often use factually incorrect data to support her argument. She also doesn't seem to actually play the games she reviews herself, and there have been allegations that she actually steals footage from other people to use in her reviews. Which leads to-

Anita is a liar. In several of her videos, Anita has outright lied about the context of a scene solely to further her own argument, often directly contradicting what is happening in the game itself. When talking about Far Cry 3, she get virtually every element of Citra's character wrong, portraying her as some kind of fetishized native girl the hero can win as a reward and who uses exotic tribal powers . . . when in the game, Citra is a villain who uses drugs to manipulate the player, is not actually a native of the island and if the player succumbs to her, will wind up killing his friends and be murdered by her. In her Hitman review, she says the game dehumanizes women and rewards you for killing them, when the game actually goes the extra mile to humanize them and will penalize you for killing them. Anita will outright lie about the topic of discussion and misconstrue facts to help her argument, including whether or not she's actually a gamer herself. You can find a video outlining several of these points here.

Anita is a hypocrite. Anita has claimed to be anti-harassment, owing to her own harassment by people online and specifically citing GamerGate and their supporters as prime examples. It is worth noting, however, the FBI has cleared GamerGate as not being a hate group, nor could they find any substantial evidence of the death threats Antia alleged. Yet in this year at VidCon, Anita harassed a member of her audience, Sargon of Akkad, who admittedly is one of her critics online. However, he was simply sitting in the audience, listening to a panel he paid to attend, and Anita singled him out to insult him. And despite this being against VidCon policy of presenters targeting audience members, she got away with it. And it's worth pointing out that Sargon is not someone who harasses Anita, he does genuinely discourages harassment and his videos rarely feature her, and when they do, it's only to debunk something she's said that is factually incorrect. But despite it being against VidCon rules, when given the opportunity to harass someone who she didn't like, she took it. And as an added bit of hypocrisy, Anita doesn't believe you can be sexist towards men.

I don't believe that the video game industry is perfect, nor is the comic book industry, or the movie industry, or any industry, really. But if you're going to criticize something, and more to the point, monetize that criticism, then there needs to be something factually sound to your critic. Anita makes her living off of factually incorrect arguments, shaming people she doesn't agree with, playing the victim when it suits her, and treating any criticism of her as harassment. No one deserves to be harassed, but that does not mean that anyone or any concept is above criticism, and Anita has done quite a bit that warrants criticism.

It's for all of these reasons I see Anita as a Snakeoil Sales(wo)man. When speaking of Anita, I'm often reminded of a quote by Booker T. Washington, made nearly 100 years ago, and while it was made regarding some members of the black community, it's not hard apply it to the more extreme feminists:

There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs

A story told me by a coloured man in South Carolina will illustrate how people sometimes get into situations where they do not like to part with their grievances. In a certain community there was a coloured doctor of the old school, who knew little about modern ideas of medicine, but who in some way had gained the confidence of the people and had made considerable money by his own peculiar methods of treatment. In this community there was an old lady who happened to be pretty well provided with this world’s goods and who thought that she had a cancer. For twenty years she had enjoyed the luxury of having this old doctor treat her for that cancer. As the old doctor became — thanks to the cancer and to other practice — pretty well-to-do, he decided to send one of his boys to a medical college. After graduating from the medical school, the young man returned home, and his father took a vacation. During this time the old lady who was afflicted with the “cancer” called in the young man, who treated her; within a few weeks the cancer (or what was supposed to be the cancer) disappeared, and the old lady declared herself well.

When the father of the boy returned and found the patient on her feet and perfectly well, he was outraged. He called the young man before him and said: “My son, I find that you have cured that cancer case of mine. Now, son, let me tell you something. I educated you on that cancer. I put you through high school, through college, and finally through the medical school on that cancer. And now you, with your new ideas of practicing medicine, have come here and cured that cancer. Let me tell you, son, you have started all wrong. How do you expect to make a living practicing medicine in that way?”

I am afraid that there is a certain class of race problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public.
Modern feminism seem to be the opposite of what the original feminist fought for, they fought for men and women to be treated as equals. I find myself sighing in disbelief at some of things that feminists have chosen to make an issue of in recent years. They've complained that the Princess Leia in the golden bikini is sexist to such an extent that reportedly there will be no new merchandise released featuring that image despite the number one instance that the image is seen today is in cosplay by female fans.
They've made huge issues over silly things such as the Black Widow showing her butt on the poster for the Avengers ignoring that in almost every Marvel movie there's been a gratuitous topless scene featuring the male hero. I really can't take this type of ridiculous overreaction seriously when a movie about male strippers was so successful it got a sequel. One of the worst instances of rampant feminist bullshit in recent years was the complaints over the billboard for the movie X-Men: Apocalypse. The actress Rose McGowan posted a comment that the images showing the character Apocalypse holding up Mystique by the throat was tacit societal acceptance of domestic violence against women, instead of treating the comment as it should have been treated, as the ramblings of a crazy person the movie company removed the billboard and released an apology.

User avatar
M4C8
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by M4C8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Scots Dragon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 pm
Seems my initial instincts were right.

It's obvious my political instincts are pretty much at odds with basically the entire atmosphere here, and for the sake of my own mental health I'm not sticking around to piss myself off. Just know that I think you're wrong on pretty much every level and are pretty much just mainlining the kool aid there.

Bye.
The atmosphere here is usually one of mutual respect and for everyone to have the right to their own opinions without being vilified for them, it's a place where we can remain calm and civil even when engaged in conversations with people who we disagree with.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'll say here what I said to Jab in a private message, I sincerely hope my comments don't anger anyone, I struggle sometimes to find the right words so often my posts seem like a rant, that's not usually my intention.

Ken
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two
Contact:

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 am

As maybe the 8th or 9th person to post in the thread, I think judging "this place" by half a dozen people in a little judgy.
Zack Snyder in the 1940s: Hope vs Crosby, Road to Justice

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Ares » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 am

M4C8 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm
Modern feminism seem to be the opposite of what the original feminist fought for, they fought for men and women to be treated as equals. I find myself sighing in disbelief at some of things that feminists have chosen to make an issue of in recent years. They've complained that the Princess Leia in the golden bikini is sexist to such an extent that reportedly there will be no new merchandise released featuring that image despite the number one instance that the image is seen today is in cosplay by female fans.

They've made huge issues over silly things such as the Black Widow showing her butt on the poster for the Avengers ignoring that in almost every Marvel movie there's been a gratuitous topless scene featuring the male hero. I really can't take this type of ridiculous overreaction seriously when a movie about male strippers was so successful it got a sequel. One of the worst instances of rampant feminist bullshit in recent years was the complaints over the billboard for the movie X-Men: Apocalypse. The actress Rose McGowan posted a comment that the images showing the character Apocalypse holding up Mystique by the throat was tacit societal acceptance of domestic violence against women, instead of treating the comment as it should have been treated, as the ramblings of a crazy person the movie company removed the billboard and released an apology.
I'd never be one to say that racism, sexism and social inequality have been completely stamped out, and that people making strides for actual social justice aren't worthy of respect and admiration. I think a lot of effort had been made towards finding a middle ground where people could potentially be happy and get along better.

Then I'd say about 2013-14, we got what we call the modern Social Justice Warrior movement, where people basically use identity politics, racial issues and the like to "fight oppression" largely by being oppressive. It's why SJW is considered a negative term, because it implies someone who takes social justice to such an extreme that they become a parody, and create conflict instead of actual positive social change.

It's funny, because in a lot of ways they remind me of the folks that started Prohibition, the HUAC trials, who denounced Rock and Roll as evil, that Comics were corrupting the youth of America, that Roleplaying Games were the tools of the devil, and that cartoons and video games were making kids violent. My previous mental image of such people were out of touch folks in their late 60s. Nowadays the people championing those kinds of causes are people in their mid-to-late 20's. It's how we get things like the insanity that happened over in Evergreen University, where the students were basically laying siege to the school and few people got in trouble.

So instead of being about men and women receiving fair and equal treatment under the law (which for the most part they do, though there are inequalities on both sides socially and in certain instances), modern feminism want to dictate what it means to be a woman. And if a woman doesn't conform to their idea, they have internal misogyny or something similar. Instead of being about women having the freedom to do what they want, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is oppressive, and by pointing it out, they get paid a lot of money.

That's one reason why I used the Booker T. Washington quote. Made 100 years ago, it still holds true today for a lot of the "leadership" of various SJW movements, while the "foot soldiers" of the movement . . . well, I think at best they're a "path to Hell is paved with good intentions" lot. In his own way, Bendis perfectly captured Millennial SJWs with Riri Williams. They've heard stories about how people were oppressed, and to give their lives some meaning, they desperately want there to be oppression, especially directed at themselves, so that they can "fight" against it. Which is a shame, because there are places in the world where people ARE oppressed, people are hungry, people are being thrown off of rooftops for their sexuality. But instead of working together and going fight for that OVER THERE where they could conceivably do some good, they want to stay here where they know the cops aren't going to really hurt them, where they can guilt some people into not pressing charges against them, and often times "fight" from the comfort of their computer.

In short, these people are cosplaying as activists and just making things worse for everyone, rather than actually being activists in places where they could do some good.

User avatar
M4C8
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by M4C8 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 am

Ares wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 am
M4C8 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm
Modern feminism seem to be the opposite of what the original feminist fought for, they fought for men and women to be treated as equals. I find myself sighing in disbelief at some of things that feminists have chosen to make an issue of in recent years. They've complained that the Princess Leia in the golden bikini is sexist to such an extent that reportedly there will be no new merchandise released featuring that image despite the number one instance that the image is seen today is in cosplay by female fans.

They've made huge issues over silly things such as the Black Widow showing her butt on the poster for the Avengers ignoring that in almost every Marvel movie there's been a gratuitous topless scene featuring the male hero. I really can't take this type of ridiculous overreaction seriously when a movie about male strippers was so successful it got a sequel. One of the worst instances of rampant feminist bullshit in recent years was the complaints over the billboard for the movie X-Men: Apocalypse. The actress Rose McGowan posted a comment that the images showing the character Apocalypse holding up Mystique by the throat was tacit societal acceptance of domestic violence against women, instead of treating the comment as it should have been treated, as the ramblings of a crazy person the movie company removed the billboard and released an apology.
I'd never be one to say that racism, sexism and social inequality have been completely stamped out, and that people making strides for actual social justice aren't worthy of respect and admiration. I think a lot of effort had been made towards finding a middle ground where people could potentially be happy and get along better.

Then I'd say about 2013-14, we got what we call the modern Social Justice Warrior movement, where people basically use identity politics, racial issues and the like to "fight oppression" largely by being oppressive. It's why SJW is considered a negative term, because it implies someone who takes social justice to such an extreme that they become a parody, and create conflict instead of actual positive social change.

It's funny, because in a lot of ways they remind me of the folks that started Prohibition, the HUAC trials, who denounced Rock and Roll as evil, that Comics were corrupting the youth of America, that Roleplaying Games were the tools of the devil, and that cartoons and video games were making kids violent. My previous mental image of such people were out of touch folks in their late 60s. Nowadays the people championing those kinds of causes are people in their mid-to-late 20's. It's how we get things like the insanity that happened over in Evergreen University, where the students were basically laying siege to the school and few people got in trouble.

So instead of being about men and women receiving fair and equal treatment under the law (which for the most part they do, though there are inequalities on both sides socially and in certain instances), modern feminism want to dictate what it means to be a woman. And if a woman doesn't conform to their idea, they have internal misogyny or something similar. Instead of being about women having the freedom to do what they want, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is oppressive, and by pointing it out, they get paid a lot of money.

That's one reason why I used the Booker T. Washington quote. Made 100 years ago, it still holds true today for a lot of the "leadership" of various SJW movements, while the "foot soldiers" of the movement . . . well, I think at best they're a "path to Hell is paved with good intentions" lot. In his own way, Bendis perfectly captured Millennial SJWs with Riri Williams. They've heard stories about how people were oppressed, and to give their lives some meaning, they desperately want there to be oppression, especially directed at themselves, so that they can "fight" against it. Which is a shame, because there are places in the world where people ARE oppressed, people are hungry, people are being thrown off of rooftops for their sexuality. But instead of working together and going fight for that OVER THERE where they could conceivably do some good, they want to stay here where they know the cops aren't going to really hurt them, where they can guilt some people into not pressing charges against them, and often times "fight" from the comfort of their computer.

In short, these people are cosplaying as activists and just making things worse for everyone, rather than actually being activists in places where they could do some good.
I've never understood how you can 'fight' historical discrimination against one group of people by being discriminatory against another.
I truly believe that screaming racism/sexism over every little thing on a daily basis does a real disservice to those who have suffered genuine discrimination, it's akin to the boy who cried wolf, using those words in such a trivial casual manner gradually chips away at the instinctual shock people feel over them, which can only ultimately lead to apathy towards victims.
The absolute worst thing about those on the extreme left is the blinding hypocrisy of their actions. They openly champion the right to free speech but instantly vilify anyone who has a opinion that differs from their own, spewing vitriolic abuse at anyone who doesn't share their views.
They campaign for the rights of people in other countries to be able to have democratic elections and yet when they don't get the result they want after an election in their own countries they're the ones rioting in the streets, refusing to accept the result and openly stating they will do everything they can to overturn it. Don't get me wrong if I was American I wouldn't have voted for Trump but I certainly understand why many people did, those on the extreme left need to understand that their oppressive actions directly led to Trump's election success. Also can you imagine the outrage if Hillary had won and those on the right had taken to the streets in such a manner and refused to accept the result? there's no way the left would have remotely accepted that type of behaviour.

Shock
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Shock » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am

So much for Marvel comics huh?

I'm curious whether there are any out there I might actually like.

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Ares » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 am

Some of the books are suppose to be good. I've heard good things about Moon Girl and Devil Dinsoaur, Iron Fist, USAvengers, and some others.

Jabroniville
Posts: 4100
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am

Ares wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 am
Some of the books are suppose to be good. I've heard good things about Moon Girl and Devil Dinsoaur, Iron Fist, USAvengers, and some others.
USAvengers is quite good now, though started a bit slow. I REALLY liked Ewing's other two Avengers books- the Cage one and the AIMvengers one- both took great use of Marvel's diverse characters and made a fun, entertaining comic out of them... weird as it is to see SUNSPOT... depicted with FORETHOUGHT.

I'm not sure about the other books as of right now. Honestly, more and more of my stuff is Indie- the creative team of the popular Batgirl run recently have started Motor Crush, which is AMAZING. Great action sequences and character designs (the main character is a butch-looking black chick, and her girlfriend looks like a bustier version of Jem!).

The Jem comic recently ended its run, but is apparently doing "Special Event" comics instead. No idea if that'll be any good. Is Kelly Thompson still writing it? She did good work (hey, I just found out she did the current/recent Hawkeye series! I wonder if I should check that out?).

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Ares » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Heh, yeah, that must be weird when you likely are remembering the New Mutant's original battle cry: " 'Berto! Wait! You're strong, not invulnerable!"

User avatar
L-Space
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by L-Space » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm going to end up getting the Marvel Legacy #1 on-shot because I'm really curious about the "Avengers circa 1,000,000 BC." It sounds a bit weird and possibly silly, but I like my comic books that way and Jason Aaron can pull that off pretty well e.g. Wolverine and the X-men.
Image
Formerly luketheduke86

User avatar
CTPhipps
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by CTPhipps » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: The Hydra- Captain America?

Honestly, I'm of the mind the reaction was a little over-the-top. Then again, I assumed this would never stick and was just an attempt to do what has happened before with superheroes by showing who Captain America IS by showing who Captain America ISN'T. That's why US Agent exists, after all. Also, Azrael to Batman and the Four Superman during the Reign.

i think the issue boiled down to the fact this is a rather turbulent time in America (when isn't it?) and Captain America in any form being a Neo-Nazi was just poor timing.

That's just me, though.

Re: Feminist Frequency and Anita Sarkeesian

*sigh*

Okay, I'm going to make an ass of myself here.

People have made hundreds of pages and dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of video rebutting a woman talking about perceived sexism in video games. I've watched Anita's videos and the majority of them amount to, "Yes, there's a lot of sexy women in scantily clad clothes and getting rescued in video games." Which is an amazing example of "water is wet." I don't actually have much stake in the war against Sarkeesian because I actually disagree with her issues that pacifism and feminism should be linked. I also agree with the work of sex-positive feminist Liana Kerzner (you should look her up if you want a really good rebuttal of Anita's work) that she's focused way too much on "sexy=bad" as well as the fact sexism against cartoons is inherently a different kettle of fish versus sexism against real women.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, is it not true that people getting their knickers in a wad and popping their monocles about a woman complaining there's not enough video game heroines who aren't wearing normal clothes and sold on sex sex sex" is a waste of people's time? OH MY GOD, SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG. The whole thing with Feminist Frequency turned into an enormous embarrassment for the gaming industry, I say this as an independent game reviewer, because a Kickstarter for how "video games are sexist" became "Anita killed Christ." Bad publicity is still publicity and the fact everyone and their brother was up in arms about her tiny internet project made us all look insecure.

This is how all the gamers rushing to defend their hobby from the specter of a pretty girl condemning elements of it looked, except with a lot more gnashing of teeth.

Image

I work in academia or did until I became a full-time author and I can tell you that everything in literature has been accused of being communist, fascist, sexist, feminist, Nazi, or progressive because that's just how academia works. You make a provocative title and hopes someone reads your essay--it's the pre-internet version of clickbait. Michael Moorcock's "Epic Pooh" was a cheap attempt at heat (to co opt a wrestling term) where he called out Tolkien and got a lot of brief fame for it--which is a shame because he's already one of the most influential fantasy authors of all time. Tabletop gaming used to have the same sorts of complaints about it regarding women and we moved on it because some of them were valid.

The irony is the industry was getting better well before these videos became what they are because people are recognizing there's a large minority of women gamers (like 30-40%) due to World of Warcraft and other huge games. Acknowledging them doesn't mean that someone is going to take away Call of Duty or even Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. It's also crazy that, OH MY GOD, male gamers loved Life is Strange.

Did Anita ever do a review of that game? Because it'd be a damn shame if she didn't.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, and The Rules of Supervillainy
Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Voltron64
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 am

Re: Marvel "Legacy", plus other books being cancelled

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

CTPhipps wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 pm
Re: The Hydra- Captain America?

Honestly, I'm of the mind the reaction was a little over-the-top. Then again, I assumed this would never stick and was just an attempt to do what has happened before with superheroes by showing who Captain America IS by showing who Captain America ISN'T. That's why US Agent exists, after all.
Difference is, US Agent is more of a frenemy than anything.

And more importantly, all often too much of a damn hothead! :mrgreen:

Post Reply