Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

Post by Ares »

Heh, God but we're a bunch of nerds, going on about the RPG stat write-up instead of really discussing the story. I guess this is just an example of how, while a lot of fun, D&D isn't the best system for doing stat-blocks of famous heroes.

And again, it was weird because Sonja BEAT both John Carter and Valeros when they fought, though in both cases there were extenuating circumstances. But in terms of raw skill and fighting ability, it was pretty clear that Sonja, John and Val were all pretty close. If anything I'd say Sonja and Val were pretty evenly matched (Val's strength gets compared to that of a Cimmerian), and John was likely less skilled than the duo, but had his various physical enhancements, leaping abilities and the like to make up for it.

Sonja also challenged Val to a drinking contest, since he'd impressed her so much during the fight, and promised him if he won, she'd impress him right back. As Val just stares at her, she clarifies, "I mean sex." To which Val replies, "No, I got that, I was just picturing it in my head. Let's start." And the two drink each other under the table, to the point where they pass out before any naughty shenanigans can be gotten up to. At least not until the victory party where they decided to give it another go.

What's as funny is watching John Carter and Kyra in the bar with Val and Sonja, listening to their increasingly loud bar songs and piling up bottles of ale. They look EXACTLY like two designated drivers having to babysit two drunk friends, and are completely miserable until they finally decide to cut their losses and get out.

I did like that they actually gave little character moments. John and Kyra talk, and Kyra mentions how she's in a lesbian relationship, and hopes that's not too weird for John. John comments that his wife has red skin and was hatched from an egg, and that love is love, you should treasure it wherever you find it. And he gets a very in character bit where he waxes romantically about his wife, what he's done for her, and how he has faith that if two people love each other, then the universe will always provide a way for them to return to each other, if you're brave enough to take them. Kyra commented about how sweet that was, and I had to agree.

Just one more reason why I HATED the way John was portrayed character wise in his film. They got rid of the brave, romantic southern gentleman and replaced him with some morose, brooding asshole. It was good to see that Pathfinder guys at least get it.

They also limited John's leaping ability to a "three times per day" thing, which was dumb.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Apparently Blizzard is putting out a comic based on Heroes of the Storm, their franchise crossover/hero brawler/MOBA video game. Which is funny because one of Thrall's Poke Quotes essentially goes "What? What do you mean there's LORE in this game? You actually paid someone to write a story about Raynor meeting Diablo? Isn't that what FanFiction is for?" That got a chuckle out of me, even as someone who writes fanfiction.

Still, Blizzard as a company tends to impress me with how much they stress story and lore in their work, and some actual fiction exploring all of those characters interacting could be a lot of fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm Apparently Blizzard is putting out a comic based on Heroes of the Storm, their franchise crossover/hero brawler/MOBA video game. Which is funny because one of Thrall's Poke Quotes essentially goes "What? What do you mean there's LORE in this game? You actually paid someone to write a story about Raynor meeting Diablo? Isn't that what FanFiction is for?" That got a chuckle out of me, even as someone who writes fanfiction.

Still, Blizzard as a company tends to impress me with how much they stress story and lore in their work, and some actual fiction exploring all of those characters interacting could be a lot of fun.
Half the dialogue should be some dialect-appropriate equivalent of "you must be fucking kidding me."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

BriarThrone wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm Apparently Blizzard is putting out a comic based on Heroes of the Storm, their franchise crossover/hero brawler/MOBA video game. Which is funny because one of Thrall's Poke Quotes essentially goes "What? What do you mean there's LORE in this game? You actually paid someone to write a story about Raynor meeting Diablo? Isn't that what FanFiction is for?" That got a chuckle out of me, even as someone who writes fanfiction.

Half the dialogue should be some dialect-appropriate equivalent of "you must be fucking kidding me."
I expect that to be Jim Raynor's initial response, word for word. Then again, given what Raynor's seen, there's even odds he'll just go "So orcs, magic and demons are real, huh? Sure, why not?"

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 pm

I expect that to be Jim Raynor's initial response, word for word. Then again, given what Raynor's seen, there's even odds he'll just go "So orcs, magic and demons are real, huh? Sure, why not?"
My version: "... You gotta be fucking kidding me. Magic? Demons? Weird green pig-monsters? I thought I had found some kind of bottom of the well for weird shit..."
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

BriarThrone wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 pm

My version: "... You gotta be fucking kidding me. Magic? Demons? Weird green pig-monsters? I thought I had found some kind of bottom of the well for weird shit..."
To quote one of the most famous fanfic crossovers I've ever heard of: "Teenage girls with superpowers, invading aliens from another dimension intent on conquering Earth... give me the Romulans or the Klingons any day!" (Bones McCoy, The Dihlitium Dilemma)
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Someone calls out “Doctor McCoy!” And Hank and Leonard simultaneously answer. So obvious, so cheesy, and sooo perfectly done. 😁
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm Someone calls out “Doctor McCoy!” And Hank and Leonard simultaneously answer. So obvious, so cheesy, and sooo perfectly done. 😁
I was kind of bummed that it didn't turn out that Hank was Bones's ancestor ... in a way it would have made sense, Bones was already 137 years old when he toured the Enterprise-D during its maiden voyage, all in all I wouldn't be surprised to discover he was a mutant.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm Someone calls out “Doctor McCoy!” And Hank and Leonard simultaneously answer. So obvious, so cheesy, and sooo perfectly done. 😁
I was kind of bummed that it didn't turn out that Hank was Bones's ancestor ... in a way it would have made sense, Bones was already 137 years old when he toured the Enterprise-D during its maiden voyage, all in all I wouldn't be surprised to discover he was a mutant.
Average lifespan in the 23rd Centurty is into the 130’s, so Admiral McCoy is just above average but within the statistical margin. But I’m totally adopting it as head canon that he has Hank as an ancestor.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 am
Average lifespan in the 23rd Centurty is into the 130’s, so Admiral McCoy is just above average but within the statistical margin. But I’m totally adopting it as head canon that he has Hank as an ancestor.
Favorite part for me was the (remarkably short) fight between Wolverine and Spock,which Spock won!
Ken

Post by Ken »

It was Nurse Chapel.

"Did... he... just... punch... my ship?" Kirk's comment on Gladiator rocking the Enterprise with one blow.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’d love to see a Trek/JLA crossover...

“Why... does Zod... need a starship?”
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 am
It was Nurse Chapel.

"Did... he... just... punch... my ship?" Kirk's comment on Gladiator rocking the Enterprise with one blow.
I loved kirk's response to that too.

"Fire...phaser banks...Mr Chekhov." and it hit Gladiator right in the face!(Ok,it just ticked him off,but so worth getting thrown a beating over....:D)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 am
I'm not sure if that was canon before the reboot movies established that in the alternate timeline Archer lived up to 131 years. From what little I remember from some previous interactions, Bones was considered something of an exception.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The franchise has never really established firm dates of death for any of the principal cast, except for when the deaths have happened on screen. You never know when you’re going to need to bring in a Special Guest Star to boost ratings. But we can extrapolate a few things:

We don’t have a date of birth for her, but Ensign Uhura began her studies at Starfleet Academy in 2257, probably around age 18 or so. Admiral Uhura was still the head of Starfleet Intelligence into the late 2370s (she was a mentor of Curzon Dax). That’s 110 of active duty.

Hikaru Sulu was born in San Francisco, Earth on 2237. He entered the Academy in 2255. He was the Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Excelsior until 2320. That’s 65 years in the fleet... and he was elected President of the United Federation of Planets in the 2330s and served three four-year terms. So that’s 77 years of active work...

Pavel Chekhov was born in 2245, attended the Academy 2263-67, became head commander-in-chief of Starfleet Command in 2360, would continue to serve as an instructor at the Academy through the Dominion War, and was “promoted” to a desk job until at least 2377. That 115 years of active work...

McCoy lived log enough to be seen in the TNG pilot; Kirk and Scotty both got their loved prolonged by means of what TV Tropes would call a Negative Space Wedgie. Spock was an incredibly long-lived Vulcan.