Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
HalloweenJack

Re: Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

Post by HalloweenJack »

have we mentioned Anno Dracula?

I'd heard of it and then a frat brother of mine gave me a copy of it like 12 years ago and I honestly loved it
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 am have we mentioned Anno Dracula?

I'd heard of it and then a frat brother of mine gave me a copy of it like 12 years ago and I honestly loved it
What's it about?Not familiar....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Is that the Sherlock Holmes / Dracula crossover?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Not even remotely, Sherlock Holmes is only mentioned and plays no role in the tale. Anno Dracula is Kim Newman's rather epic tale of a Victorian Britain where Dracula defeated those who would hunt him and went on to marry Queen Victoria, dragging vampires (from John Polidori's Lord Ruthven to Anne Rice's Lestat) into the public eye. That's the background -- the foreground is the hunt for Jack the Ripper. There've been a number of sequels following this divergent timeline up into the 1990s, which are really only interesting if you find the historical periods where they're set to be interesting and can put up with Mr. Newman's sometimes crankish insistence on certain fictions and historical interpretations. (He really really really hates Buffy, f'rinstance.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:13 am Is that the Sherlock Holmes / Dracula crossover?
Going by my Google-fu, there are at least 5 different stories based on this crossover.

Two novels and a short story
  • "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; or, The Adventures of the Sanguinary Count" by Loren D. Estleman; which was written as happening during the events of Bram Stoker's original novel, with Holmes and Watson actually helping Van Helsing from behind the scenes.
  • "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Fred Saberhagen; a rather weird attempt at explaning the fabled Giant Rat of Sumatra case mentioned by Holmes. The premise is that someone is using Dracula's blood to infect London and it's up to the vampire and the detective to stop him.
  • "Red Sunset" a short story by Bob Madisen, collected in the anthology book "Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes"; which shows an elder Sherlock Holmes that moved to the U.S. at the beginning of WW2 teaming up with a ahrdboiled colleague to stop Dracula (seriously WTF).
And two comics.
  • "Scarlet in Gaslight", a 1987 Eisner Award nominated comic written by Martin Powell; where Moriarty coherce Dracula into killing Holmes.
  • "Victorian Undead II: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" (a sequel to a Holmes vs Zombies story); which is meant as a replacement for the original Stoker's novel.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:13 am Is that the Sherlock Holmes / Dracula crossover?
Going by my Google-fu, there are at least 5 different stories based on this crossover.

Two novels and a short story
  • "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; or, The Adventures of the Sanguinary Count" by Loren D. Estleman; which was written as happening during the events of Bram Stoker's original novel, with Holmes and Watson actually helping Van Helsing from behind the scenes.
  • "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Fred Saberhagen; a rather weird attempt at explaning the fabled Giant Rat of Sumatra case mentioned by Holmes. The premise is that someone is using Dracula's blood to infect London and it's up to the vampire and the detective to stop him.
  • "Red Sunset" a short story by Bob Madisen, collected in the anthology book "Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes"; which shows an elder Sherlock Holmes that moved to the U.S. at the beginning of WW2 teaming up with a ahrdboiled colleague to stop Dracula (seriously WTF).
And two comics.
  • "Scarlet in Gaslight", a 1987 Eisner Award nominated comic written by Martin Powell; where Moriarty coherce Dracula into killing Holmes.
  • "Victorian Undead II: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" (a sequel to a Holmes vs Zombies story); which is meant as a replacement for the original Stoker's novel.
Wait,someone actually did a Holmes vs Zombies story?! Tell me more of this wonderful combination of 2 of my favorite things.....:D
Davies

Post by Davies »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 am"Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; or, The Adventures of the Sanguinary Count" by Loren D. Estleman; which was written as happening during the events of Bram Stoker's original novel, with Holmes and Watson actually helping Van Helsing from behind the scenes.
I can heartily recommend this novel, it does everything right as well as giving Watson an incredible Crowning Moment of Awesome in confrontation with Dracula.
Woodclaw wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 am"The Holmes-Dracula File" by Fred Saberhagen; a rather weird attempt at explaning the fabled Giant Rat of Sumatra case mentioned by Holmes. The premise is that someone is using Dracula's blood to infect London and it's up to the vampire and the detective to stop him.
Not ... bad, not really recommended either -- it's a sequel to Saberhagen's The Dracula Tapes which retells Stoker's novel from a nicer, "misunderstood" Dracula's perspective. It has many sequels, including a second one co-starring Holmes and Watson, Séance for a Vampire, which I actively discourage people from reading.

Haven't read the rest.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Davies wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 am Not even remotely, Sherlock Holmes is only mentioned and plays no role in the tale. Anno Dracula is Kim Newman's rather epic tale of a Victorian Britain where Dracula defeated those who would hunt him and went on to marry Queen Victoria, dragging vampires (from John Polidori's Lord Ruthven to Anne Rice's Lestat) into the public eye. That's the background -- the foreground is the hunt for Jack the Ripper. There've been a number of sequels following this divergent timeline up into the 1990s, which are really only interesting if you find the historical periods where they're set to be interesting and can put up with Mr. Newman's sometimes crankish insistence on certain fictions and historical interpretations. (He really really really hates Buffy, f'rinstance.)
There are also references to Graf Orlok from Nosferatu, a hopping vampire from a Chinese horror/kung fu movie called Mr. Vampire, Martin (from the George Romero movie not the Fox Sitcom) and so forth.

I've never read the sequels though one of the main characters is the Connery version of Bond who he calls Hamish (a more Scot version of James).

I can say I really enjoyed the original book.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:50 pm Wait,someone actually did a Holmes vs Zombies story?! Tell me more of this wonderful combination of 2 of my favorite things.....:D
Yes, it was a Wildstorm comic titled Victorian Undead, the first issue was zombie based.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am
MacynSnow wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:50 pm Wait,someone actually did a Holmes vs Zombies story?! Tell me more of this wonderful combination of 2 of my favorite things.....:D
Yes, it was a Wildstorm comic titled Victorian Undead, the first issue was zombie based.
was it any good(i have high criteria for Holmes&Zombie stuff,so...)?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am
was it any good(i have high criteria for Holmes&Zombie stuff,so...)?
I've never read it.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'm currently enjoying the heck out of "Injustice vs The Masters of the Universe", a sequel to the ThunderCats/Masters of the Universe series from a year or two ago.

Can He-Man and the Masters of the Universe overthrow a tyrannical Superman? Read and find out!
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I will say, one thing I definitely enjoyed was that the power of Shazam actually plays a role in the He-Man/Injustice story. Injustice Superman makes a direct reference to Billy, comparing him and Adam, and it shows how far Superman has fallen. He talks about Billy's idealism, his ability to separate things into right and wrong, and dismisses them as being utterly childish. He-Man responds by beating several shades of purple into Superman's face and talking about the power of hope, which is a fitting send off.

More than that, with Billy's death, the Power of Shazam is basically unclaimed, and Skeletor at one point accesses it in an effort to claim the power of Greyskull from Darkseid. So you've got a Shazam-powered Skeletor versus a Darkseid who has just stolen the Power of Greyskull.

And if the January solicits are to be believed, Adam will be getting the Power of Shazam to replace the Power of Greyskull that Darkseid has stolen.

I LOVE this series.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I gave it a quick read-through, but was mostly just underwhelmed. Honestly, I mostly enjoyed what Geoff Johns did with Billy in the pre-nu52 days of the Justice Society book, but the current conception of Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family may just be too flawed to salvage. IMHO, either revert the Marvels to their old status quo (and by that I mean prior to the "Trials of Shazam" travesty), go with the incredibly well-received version from Morrison's "Thunderworld" tale, or just start fresh with a brand new Captain Marvel, a TRUE modern legacy for Billy Batson (i.e., a decent, brave, caring kid in rough circumstance, chosen for his or her decency and empathy, not a sarcastic, thieving snot). And bring back Black Adam as complex, sympathetic, anti-hero-not a reprehensible mass murderer whom real heroes for some reason don't capture and bring to justice.

Just my two cents. But I miss the authentic Marvels.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 am I gave it a quick read-through, but was mostly just underwhelmed. Honestly, I mostly enjoyed what Geoff Johns did with Billy in the pre-nu52 days of the Justice Society book, but the current conception of Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family may just be too flawed to salvage. IMHO, either revert the Marvels to their old status quo (and by that I mean prior to the "Trials of Shazam" travesty), go with the incredibly well-received version from Morrison's "Thunderworld" tale, or just start fresh with a brand new Captain Marvel, a TRUE modern legacy for Billy Batson (i.e., a decent, brave, caring kid in rough circumstance, chosen for his or her decency and empathy, not a sarcastic, thieving snot). And bring back Black Adam as complex, sympathetic, anti-hero-not a reprehensible mass murderer whom real heroes for some reason don't capture and bring to justice.

Just my two cents. But I miss the authentic Marvels.

All my best.
This sounds like you're talking about the new Shazam series Johns is working on, in which case, I wholeheartedly agree. Underwhelmed is a good choice of words, and I agree we need the classic Captain back. I keep thinking of who I'd want on the book. Art wise, I'd want someone like Mark Bagley, Tom Grummet, Alan Davis or, if the stars are right, George Perez. Writing team wise (assuming I can't get the job :D ), part of me would want the guys who did the Futures Quest stuff (especially since Doc Shaner is a huge Cap fan), though I've always wanted to see what Karl Kesel, Joe Kelly or Roger Stern could do with a Captain Marvel series.

Whatever happens, Johns and DiDio need to be kept far away from it.