Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

Post by Ares »

I've always been a crossover junkie. I've just always loved seeing heroes who normally don't interact have the chance to do so. Usually this is because any work of fiction will usually have one "main hero", and everyone else is usually not up to that hero's level in various respects. But with a crossover, you'll see two heroes who could potentially be considered peers interact. This will often involve a fight (which is always fun), but I love them just as much (if not more) for the quiet moments where the heroes bond, chit chat or just do normal stuff together.

There was a Batman / Ninja Turtles crossover recently that was really fun. While it was cool to see Batman and the Turtles fight (and later have Leo beat Batman in a sparring match), it was just as cool to see Batman take Raphel to the spot where his parents died and explain his motivation to him.

Likewise, the Ghostbusters comic had some fun crossovers, one with The Real Ghostbusters, and one with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Again, seeing Leo and Winston bond while Don geeked out with Ray and Egon was a blast.

And of course, Future Quest has just been amazing, bringing together a ton of Hanna-Barbera heroes and doing them all amazing.

Recently I picked up the second Sonic the Hedgehog / Megaman crossover. The first one was a lot of fun and well done. The second one was not as good story wise, but they pulled out an amazing surprise by making it into a SEGA / Capcom crossover in the last 3rd of the book.

That picture is just epic and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

So what are some of your favorite crossovers in novels, comic books and web-comics? Why did you like them? What where your favorite moments? And what characters / franchises would you like to see crossover in the future?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Re: Your Favorite Crossovers - Book and Comic edition

Post by L-Space »

I loved the JLA/Avengers comic the first time I read it and thought it was amazing to see both superhero teams together. The aforementioned Batman/TMNT comic was a fun read and it makes me want to try out the JLA/PowerRangers crossover too.

The various *BLANK* - vs. Aliens or - vs. Predator comics (particularly Judge Dredd vs Aliens and Tarzan vs Predator) have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Are they hokey and bad sometimes? Absolutely! But I still can't get enough of them!
Formerly luketheduke86
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Ares wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:39 am Image
I presume Bison and the rest of Shadowloo are helping just out of self-preservation?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm I presume Bison and the rest of Shadowloo are helping just out of self-preservation?
It's equal parts that, equal parts Bison being incredibly offended that anyone would try to exploit "his" world. As far as Bison's concerned, Sigma just tried to steal "his" stuff, and for that, there must be vengeance.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

The Merge universe is more or less the biggest crossover continuity from heck. It's a blast to play in.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Obviously, you're all forgetting the best one:

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The only way I can imagine that being any weirder was if it was Richie Rich and Judge Dredd. ;~)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, Archie DID meet the Predator. By which I mean the Predator slaughtered most of Riverdale.

Davies

Post by Davies »

This is one that I've only heard about rather than read personally, but the circumstances around it are kind of remarkable. In 1999, Naoko Takeuchi, the creator of Sailor Moon married Yoshihiro Togashi, the creator of (among other things) YuYu Hakusho. And apparently, in celebration of their marriage, they produced a comic book (or doujinshi) that crossed over the two properties.

@Arkrite: Apparently, there was a pitch to crossover the Harvey comics characters (including Richie Rich) with Marvel's Ghost Rider, but the pitch was rejected by Harvey.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Avengers/JLA good, X-Men/Teen Titans better ... and me not a big X-Fan
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

http://www.criticalblast.com/articles/2 ... s-predator#.

Enough can't be said about the hilarious "Archie's War Journal" sequence in the Punisher crossover, by the way. It's just two straight pages of Archie doing this dramatic, overly-serious exposition in "Noir-Speak", and it ends with him repeating a bunch of catchphrases like they're matters of the most dire importance ("It's Clobberin' Time").

Plus there's a frickin' GUNFIGHT in Riverdale High, Miss Grundy gets a crush on The Punisher and saves his life (really), the X-Men suggest a future battle against "the most dangerous Mutant alive" (a king who looks exactly like Jughead), and more.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I look at JLA/Avengers as the zenith of the DC/Marvel crossovers, saving the best for last, so to speak. I also consider it to be the last book both companies produced in whatever Age it was that preceded the Radium Age.
Last edited by Ken on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Archie/Punisher was AWESOME!!! Geraldine Grundy hitting on Frank Castle. The Punisher actually choosing to change his tactics because he realised that this little town wasn't corrupt like NYC and he didn't want to be the corrupter.

His commenting on "But they do have their own kind of graffiti" while looking at a BC + AA written inside a heart shape on Betty's locker.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Ken wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 pm I look at JLA/Avengers as the nadir of the DC/Marvel crossovers, saving the best for last, so to speak. I also consider it to be the last book both companies produced in whatever Age it was that preceded the Radium Age.
Er...if it was the best it was not the nadir. Did you mean the zenith?
Ken

Post by Ken »

danelsan wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 pm I look at JLA/Avengers as the nadir of the DC/Marvel crossovers, saving the best for last, so to speak. I also consider it to be the last book both companies produced in whatever Age it was that preceded the Radium Age.
Er...if it was the best it was not the nadir. Did you mean the zenith?
Yes. I had a mental wirecross between "naidir" and "Nedor" the 40s publishing house that was also called "Better". Thanks for the catch. corrected above.