Marvel WTH!!!

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
RUSCHE

Marvel WTH!!!

Post by RUSCHE »

I have been trying to keep up on two of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe. Thor and Captain America/Steve Roger's.
The muck that Thor has been dragged through last couple of years has really in my mind lessened the character.

I understand the need to tell Jane Foster's story and the need to tell it. But after all the unworthy stories and Thor Odinson journey to end it like it did seemed cheap and a copy out.
Am I looking at it through old Marvel eyes and not giving it a chance? Look forward to hearing other opinions.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Marvel WTH!!!

Post by Ares »

I lost interest in current Thor after the character derailment that occurred with Creel, Titania and Odin in the name of feminism, as well Thor saying Jane mastered his hammer better than he ever had.

What's been going on? How did it end?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Spoilers.!!! To anyone else. It ended with him declining the Ultimate Thor's hammer starting it was not his to take and having a drink with Beta Ray.....Oh there is also a off panel...WAR THOR...who picked up the ultimate hammer...I cannot make this stuff up....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, on the one hand, the idea of Thor going through a whole mini-series to regain his worthiness and still being unworthy at the end is . . . a waste. But I think Thor ending up with that ugly, big golden hammer Ultimates Thor had would be equally dumb. I don't want Thor wielding some other version of his weapon. He needs to get HIS Mjolnir back, HE needs to be Thor again. If they want to keep Jane around, they can give her some other Asgardian weapon, Thunderstrike style, but her having Thor's hammer and identity just needs to go away.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I totally agree. It has run it's course.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

It's kind of sad too,if you think about it...
Thor was originally Marvels Awnser to Superman:Their Fight in JLA/Avengers was awe inspiring to me.By taking Thor down this road,they've turned an Increadably Deep&Intresting Character into a Feminist Punching Bag.

In Point-of-fact,they could've done something better than this Drivel by using,oh i don't know,LADY SIF as a main character for a book series.It wouldn't Near Permenantly Irradiate a good Character&it would allow you to explore the Whole Faminist Angle....
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:03 pm It's kind of sad too,if you think about it...
Thor was originally Marvels Awnser to Superman:Their Fight in JLA/Avengers was awe inspiring to me.By taking Thor down this road,they've turned an Increadably Deep&Intresting Character into a Feminist Punching Bag.

In Point-of-fact,they could've done something better than this Drivel by using,oh i don't know,LADY SIF as a main character for a book series.It wouldn't Near Permenantly Irradiate a good Character&it would allow you to explore the Whole Faminist Angle....
But it wouldn't have the Thor name. I mean, it SHOULDN'T have the Thor name, because Thor's power as a mantle is bad enough, but his IDENTITY as a mantle is stupid and offensive. It's a play for the Female Vanity angle, with Jane being a better Thor than Thor, and it gives a popular, established hero's name to a character who couldn't carry a book on her own. I'd be interested in a Sif book, if it got solid enough creative talent behind it, but that's unlikely, because she doesn't have editorial priority. They wouldn't invest the talent necessary to make it work.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hell, they could have just done something with Valkyrie.

Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Honestly, from what I hear with Jane Foster as Thor, I'd have gone another direction.

Jane would've been worthy of Mjolnir because she merged with Thor's soul to be keep things simple.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Yeah, with all the lack of original character building change for short-term effect of gratuitous swapping gender, ethnicity, and youth-enized hero showcasing ... I've put a hold on my buying of Marvel (and DC) since the FEAR event.

You can do what the hell you want with the freaking shield I guess, but dammit give me back my non-aged, HYDRA free Steve Rogers you asswipes :evil:

... and Thor. Jesus really, did you have to feminize/castrate a 3,000 year old mythical legend? Talk about lack of respect for a culture *shrug*
Davies

Post by Davies »

As opposed to what was done to the myth by making him a blond beardless boy who had to turn into a crippled mortal if he ever let go of his hammer?

While I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of recent developments for the character, let's not pretend that Marvel's interpretation of same has ever been consistent with the Eddas. Not even Simonson managed that.

HYDRA-Cap is beyond the pale, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'm with Starguard on this one;Give me back my non-HYDRA Steve,you jerks! :evil:

What they're doing to The Captain America Legacy is why i'm not Buying any Marvel/DC stuff right now(though i might Buy DC's Hanna-Barbara stuff,cause i love my Saturday Cartoons....).By turning Steve into a deep cover HYDRA agent,they've effectively Destroyed anything&everything he's ever done since he was first Introduced.But i guess the old Adage of "Any Publicity is Good Pubilcity" is standard fair for Marvel now....
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I agree , Steve Rogers must come back. This cosmic cube shenanigans has to stop. We don't need War Thor,Jane Thor or Unworthy Thor. We need Thor back. You could have told a absolutely compelling story on how Jane fought for some Asgardian artifact to stave off her cancer . She could have been shown to be worthy in any number of ways, yet we got Fury whisper in Thor's ear and boom worthy. Oh you use Mjolnir better than the guy who has had it for millenia and HIS very essence is part of it. Never happened. GRRRR.....rant over...