Dresden File discussion

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Spectrum

Dresden File discussion

Post by Spectrum »

I wasn't so sure where to put this discussion, so put it in the rules thread.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
catsi563

Re: Dresden File discussion

Post by catsi563 »

Shock of Shocks I finally read the first Book and enjoyed the heck out of it.

heading to the library soon to get Fool Moon.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Enjoy! I found the first five books to be greatly entertaining.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I loved the first two books the first time. I have a hard time reading them again. They're just not nearly as good as the latter books. (Jim himself is known to be kind of ashamed of the first book, but he's fond of the second book, and apparently suggesting that it's nearly as bad makes him pout.) From three on, though? My very favorite books, with the possible exception of the Discworld series. (Another series that takes two books to find its stride, so Jim's in great company there.)

I'm currently rereading Summer Knight.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Read fully through all of them and I love the full series. Hes got a gift for action and pacing and mixing in humor. The characters are flawed and relatable in every aspect.

I'm currently reading his Codex Alera series, pacings very different from the Dresden Files little tougher to get into but the story content is very interesting.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

I liked them at the time but they just kinda blend together and aren't really all that great in the long term. Not terrible, mind, just kinda flawed and I'm kinda skeeved out by the amount of time Harry spends perving on Molly. They have some tonal problems and they're really kind of indistinguishable from the rest of their genre in storytelling terms, but then that might just be me thinking that the whole concept was done better by Hellblazer. Incidentally? The whole concept was done better by Hellblazer.

I do sincerely recommend checking out the FATE-based tabletop game though, as it's really good.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
CTPhipps

Post by CTPhipps »

I'm a die hard Molly shipper and am kind of sick of Jim dangling the plot in front of Harry then shoving it away.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Harry doesn't really "perv" on Molly at all. He acknowledges that she's beautiful, but it has been made abundantly clear that he still thinks of her as a beautiful CHILD, despite how she's been an adult for some time now.

I would love to find other examples of the genre indistinguishable from Dresden Files. I've tried some other stuff that's highly rated, and nothing has the same charm. In fact, most urban fantasy is plain bad.

Seriously, though, Harry and Murphy.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I love the Dresden Files. For me the series is decent until Summer Night, at which point the series really seems to find its feet and just takes off. I much prefer Harry to someone like, say, John Constantine, the latter of whom just annoys the crap out of me. Harry brings this sort of Blue Collar Wizard vibe to the table while having an amazingly fleshed out world. The Dresden Files is probably my second favorite urban fantasy setting, acter Greg Weisman's Gargoyles.

And in what will likely surprise no one, Michael Carpenter is probably tied with Harry as my favorite characters. I wish we'd get a Michael perspective story the way Murphy, Molly and Thomas each got one. Maybe the one where Michael rescued Charity.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 am I love the Dresden Files. For me the series is decent until Summer Night, at which point the series really seems to find its feet and just takes off. I much prefer Harry to someone like, say, John Constantine, the latter of whom just annoys the crap out of me. Harry brings this sort of Blue Collar Wizard vibe to the table while having an amazingly fleshed out world. The Dresden Files is probably my second favorite urban fantasy setting, acter Greg Weisman's Gargoyles.

And in what will likely surprise no one, Michael Carpenter is probably tied with Harry as my favorite characters. I wish we'd get a Michael perspective story the way Murphy, Molly and Thomas each got one. Maybe the one where Michael rescued Charity.
Michael is a favorite of mine as well. At That One Point in Skin Game, I hopped to my feet and let out an ear-splitting "YEAH!"

I don't know that Michael is the best viewpoint character, though. Too flawless, too capable. Harry's awareness of his own limitations is the most endearing part of his character. Murphy has the overcompensating attitude, and Thomas has the bluster. Michael is basically the best-written D&D paladin ever. He's not even flustered by the crazy antics and attitudes of the other characters. I think he works best as a character we see through other people's eyes. Except it would be very interesting to see how Michael views other characters, the way we got a look at the way Thomas views Harry.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What I love is how much Michael's opinion of Harry means to the wizard. When he was praying over Harrry during Skin Game, I actually teared up a little.

"Lord of Hosts, be with this good man and give him the strength to carry on."
...Michael still thought I was a good man.

But yeah, anyone who wants to play a paladin should read Michael or Shiro. They're perfect examples of how Lawful Good should work. Hell, Michael's an example of how Catholics SHOULD behave.

I think it'd actually be interesting to see things from Michael's point of view, because everyone views him as this infallible pillar of strength, morality and goodness, and for the most part he likely is. But it might also be nice to see that he isn't without doubts or flaws, he simply has the strength and faith to hold those doubts in check. Likewise, it'd be nice to see someone look at the other characters and have someone who sees the best in them, while not being blind to their faults.

I mean, imagine Michael looking at Nicodemus, and whereas Harry often sees one of the scariest men on the planet, Michael sees a soul in need of saving, someone he'd forgive if the apology was genuine, etc. It'd probably be humbling, reading about someone who doesn't dehumanize anyone, even his enemies, instead seeing brothers and sisters who have lost their way.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:28 amI mean, imagine Michael looking at Nicodemus, and whereas Harry often sees one of the scariest men on the planet, Michael sees a soul in need of saving, someone he'd forgive if the apology was genuine, etc. It'd probably be humbling, reading about someone who doesn't dehumanize anyone, even his enemies, instead seeing brothers and sisters who have lost their way.
While I agree with you, I do need to remind you about the time Harry broke Cassius' kneecaps and Michael basically thought it was the funniest thing ever :D
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:28 amI mean, imagine Michael looking at Nicodemus, and whereas Harry often sees one of the scariest men on the planet, Michael sees a soul in need of saving, someone he'd forgive if the apology was genuine, etc. It'd probably be humbling, reading about someone who doesn't dehumanize anyone, even his enemies, instead seeing brothers and sisters who have lost their way.
While I agree with you, I do need to remind you about the time Harry broke Cassius' kneecaps and Michael basically thought it was the funniest thing ever :D
To be fair, Michael was actually pretty uncomfortable and disturbed by Harry torturing Cassius for information. Harry giving Cassius a quarter for the pay-phone to call an ambulance, when it costs more than 25 cents to do so these days? That Michael found hilarious.

L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I love the Dresden Files. While a couple of the earlier books are rough at times, the series as a whole is fantastic. One of the best things about the series is the thought and process that went into defining how magic works in series. It avoids 'magic is a deus ex machine' syndrome, while at the same being flexible and entertaining.

And yea, Michael is the best example of a Paladin I've ever seen/read.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Heh, it's funny how Harry Dresden has a moment where he literally rides a zombie T-Rex into battle, and yet a few of us are gushing about how awesome Michael is. In all honesty, Michael is the kind of guy I'd see Billy Batson growing up into, only older Billy would still have a sense of humor that comes out more freely, and be a bit more relaxed.

Some of my favorite Michael moments:

* Michael praying over Harry, and how utterly touched Harry is by the fact that Michael still thinks he's a good man.

* Michael, for the only time in the series, swearing. And despite being the relatively mild phrase of "son of a bitch", the words had enough power that freakin Harry Dresden took a step backwards like he'd been slapped.

* Michael basically laughing off an attempt to bribe him. "I have a family. I am wealthy beyond measure."

* Michael's faith being so potent that a vampire is lit on fire just by touching him.

* Michael naming his youngest child after Harry.

* Michael not judging Molly based on her appearance when she comes home looking like a Hot Topic threw up on her.

* Michael having faith that the Lord would provide someone to watch his kids during a crisis, casually opening the front door to reveal Father Forthill about to knock on said door.

* And the various times Michael was just a badass, often happening off screen because . . . well, we'd quickly lose interest in poor Harry.

There's a few others, but I want to avoid too many spoilers for those who haven't gotten to the later books.

I do like that Harry Dresden is an example of someone going from a relative newbie to a powerhouse. I mean, comparing Book 1 Harry to current Harry is almost literally like comparing a Level 1 D&D character to a Level 15 D&D character. You can clearly see how he went from a "rookie Spider-Man" type guy to someone who is the "experienced Spider-Man" that is well respected in the Marvel Universe . . . well, by everyone but Dan Slott.

Basically, Harry is Wizard Han Solo while Michael is Paladin Luke Skywalker.