Comics: How would you fix / improve _______ character / concept?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Comics: How would you fix / improve _______ character / concept?

Post by Ares »

What was interesting with Tim originally at least was that while Dick emphasized acrobatics, Tim was very much a dedicated martial artist, down to the split-toe boots of his original outfit and his bo-staff. Between that and his detective skills, he was a Robin who was, in some ways, a mini-Batman, though with enough humor to shake things up. One thing I liked about the dynamic with Tim was that Tim could potentially be someone who could do co-detective work with Bruce, possibly even coming at it from an angle Bruce hadn't considered. Tim was likely the second best detective on Earth, with Dick and Barbara being more or less tied for 3rd.

I kind of see Barbara and Black Widow as having similar styles, but starting at it from different angles. Both would be experts in grappling, joint locks, and throws, partially to quickly gain control over an opponent, partially because of the crowd control nature certain grapples/throws can allow, and because a grappled opponent can make good cover. I'd also say their offensive martial arts is likely very kick heavy, since it lets them attack while their hands are full, either from having an opponent grappled or because they've got weapons in them (batarangs, guns, etc.). So some combo of Aikido / Jujitsu with some Tae Kwon Do / Wing Chun mixed in. It's just that Bab starts with the grappling from the mindset of not wanting to hurt people too much while Widow does it to establish control and fear.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There have been more than a few instances where Bruce's internal monologue have said that Tim was a potentially better detective than he was... He was at or near the Batman's level, but would probably surpass him in the future.

At any rate, I think it's safe to assume that any given member of the Batman Family should be considered at least at the better-than-average level of skill in just about any martial art, detective/investigative skill, and stealth/intimidation/theatricality. Each of them will have their individual areas of focus, but we're talking about a crew that has "min/max" as a damn near superpower.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Right, I'm just pointing out individual areas of expertise. Batman's generally the biggest skill monkey in comics, but his team should have areas where they equal or surpass him.

I'd say Dick is a better acrobat and, at this point, should be Bruce's equal in close quarters combat. I'd also say that Dick is probably the overall best leader in the DCU, basically combining Bruce's tactical skills with Superman's ability to inspire, along with a knack for getting people to work together.

Tim is roughly on par with Bruce detective skill wise, while trying to build up his martial arts skills to Bruce's level.

Barbara is a better hacker / cyber-security expert.

Cassie is probably a better close quarters fighter than Bruce is, and her body language ability gives her unique skills.

And I like to pretend that Jason Todd is still dead and that Damian Wayne was fell victim to the Bat-Condom.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Damian? Who the heck is Damian?
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 pmBasically, Ronda Rousey in a cape.
Hopefully with a non-terrible striking coach, though XD
Ken

Post by Ken »

Decades ago, I heard Batman explained as: Batman is the second best in the DC Universe.

Mister Miracle is the best escape artist. Batman's second.
Green Arrow is the best archer. Batman's second.
Lady Shiva is the best martial artist. Batman's second.
Sherlock Holmes (who was still alive in the DCU as late as 1984) is the best detective. Batman's second.
Dick Grayson is the best acrobat. Batman's second.

and so on.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

In one of my head DC canons (yes, I have multiple), Harvey Harris' niece Wendy took up the identity of the Huntress, which is why she calls Batman, in private, "Uncle Bruce". Her friend, Marvin White, who was the son of the woman formerly known as Prince, took on the role of the Protector.

I doubt these ideas would get much support.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Something extremely minor but lets talk about Electro.

I like Electro as a villain. Not in the sense that Electro has some deep character motivation, original background or the like. I just like him the reason I like a lot of Spider-Man / Batman / Flash style villains: sometimes they're just dumb criminals that luck into a ton of power, and use that power for criminal fame and fortune because they're bad people. They aren't going to try and take over the world, but they're fun for a single issue or as part of a team of villains.

The one sticking point with Electro, as with some villains, is that they keep trying to re-design the guys look, because some people see his outfit as silly. Part of the problem with that is superhero costumes would more or less be immune to fashion. They're basically god-like celebrities who have had their own fashion sense since the 1940s, and have possibly influenced the fashion of their world. You need something that looks unique and stylish. People might think Hawkeye's old purple duds look goofy, but I'll take the mask with the Wolverine points over the black jumpsuit any day.

Still, I will also admit that not all outfit updates are bad. Spidey's black costume was immensely cool, and only loses out due to the equal coolness of the classic costume that also has iconography on its side. Superman's outfit also went through several iterations before it settled in on the 'iconic' look we have today.

So I wondered if there was a way to update Electro's outfit without losing that classic, iconic look. Because I hate the energy body they gave him in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and the Amazing Spider-Man movie. And I don't like the black star face paint I've seen with modern looks.

My idea was partially inspired by the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, where Electro was a guy in a containment suit. While I had mixed feelings about that, one way they kind of managed the "Lightning Starfish" look on his face was by having the electricity roiling on his face sort of create that pattern.

So I thought I'd make Electro have a fairly basic outfit, possibly Hydra or AIM designed to help regulate his powers and protect him from water, but when he powers up, the electrical effect creates glowing lightning patters along his arms and legs, and the "Lightning Starfish" is created by energy playing around his face.

Now on the one hand, I'm fine with Electro just having an ugly fashion sense and people just stop trying to make this jobber look cool. But on the other hand, I kind of like that look. Let me know what you think.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 am Decades ago, I heard Batman explained as: Batman is the second best in the DC Universe.

Mister Miracle is the best escape artist. Batman's second.
Green Arrow is the best archer. Batman's second.
Lady Shiva is the best martial artist. Batman's second.
Sherlock Holmes (who was still alive in the DCU as late as 1984) is the best detective. Batman's second.
Dick Grayson is the best acrobat. Batman's second.

and so on.
That's kind of how I look at it, though I'd say in modern times, Batman is the World's Greatest Detective. But I do think that there's few people otherwise that Batman is better than if they focus in that field. Like, I'd say Lady Shiva, Cassie Caine, Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger, Iron Fist and Shang Chi are all better martial artists than Bruce. And personally, I'd want to put Black Canary there as well.

But the thing with Bruce is that he isn't the top of his field in anything but being a detective, but he's in the top 10-20 spot in virtually every skill on the planet.

One episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold put it best. Batman was fighting the Bronze Tiger, and like in the comics, in a straight up fight, Bruce was losing. Ben even says, "I'm better than you, Batman, and you know it."

Batman then says, "True. But our master also taught us: when outmatched,cheat." Batman then pulls out some weapons from his utility belt in a surprise attack, and uses the surprise to get Ben in an armlock he can't break out of, forcing him to surrender.

Basically, Batman won't win by trying to beat you at your own game. He'll change the rules of the game and make you play it his way.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Minor fix for Miles Morales. I like Miles quite a bit, and think he's one of the few "replacement heroes" that actually worked in a manner similar to Jaime Reyes. However, while there are some characters I think you can have multiples of (you can have tons of Green Lanterns, two Flashes, etc.) I think there needs to be only one Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Hulk, She-Hulk, etc.

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon changed his name to Kid Arachnid, but I'm not sure about that one. I'd actually consider giving him the Scarlet Spider name, maybe let Kaine and Ben finally rest in peace, or at the very least make Ben a full on hero again, maybe a retired mentor figure, etc. Either that or maybe some other Spider-themed name no one is using, like Tarantula.

As for Spider-Gwen, she just needs to be shunted off into her own universe.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

If I remember correctly before Cassandra Cain, Batman was the third best martial artist, it was Shiva, Black Canary then the Bat.

And no one wants my fixes, I'm an Iron Age fan. Let's leave it at that.

Also, you want a dumb character type villain for Spiderman? They already got him: the criminally (see what I did there?) underused Hydro-Man.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:17 pmAs for Spider-Gwen, she just needs to be shunted off into her own universe.
Didn't Spider-Gwen come from her own universe?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Beleriphon wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:17 pmAs for Spider-Gwen, she just needs to be shunted off into her own universe.
Didn't Spider-Gwen come from her own universe?
She did, but she wound up in the main universe for a while, and she seems to get semi-regular use, popping back in. She's basically the Boba Fett of superheroes, someone whose popularity is basically all about how unique the costume design was. They honestly should have slapped that onto Anya Corazon and given her another push as Spider-Girl.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Of course her "unique" costume design is just a photo negative of Spoiler's (without a cape).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, lets compare:

Yeah, I think there's slightly more to it than that beyond "both outfits have hoods".