What webcomics do you read?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Batgirl III

Re: What webcomics do you read?

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:04 am Man, it's hilarious how similar the blog/comments sections on the political comics are.
You should never, ever read the comments section on any website. It's always terrible. Always.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I hear IMDB is knocking down their forums thanks to the constant trolling. Many news websites seem to be doing the same thanks to arguments (and an unwillingness to pay Moderators to do it).

I have a friend who basically jumped off of Facebook for the same reason (I personally have friends on both sides posting inane garbage and infantile whining about politics). It... gets tiresome.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

XKCD had an interesting approach, although it might have been their chatrooms. Namely, only unique posts are allowed. It's amazing how much mess gets eliminated when people can't post pithy "First!" or "But her emails!" comments. :)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ran into another superhero comic (which I'll add to my list), The Posthuman Condition. The art is a bit sketchy, but the author has some interesting ideas in terms of personalities and battle tactics in a superpowered fight.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Might want to put a NSFW tag on that one, Fuzzy.

And while I like the premise of "Rules for Superheroes/villain" I just really didn't care for the story attached to that one.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Okay, if I'm going to comment on one, I might as well offer up some of my own, so people can comment back.
Most of the ones I read have already been thrown up so here's some oddball ones I found recently.

Dice
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/dice ... itle_no=64
Imagine being able to change aspects of yourself using dice. But once you're in the game you don't get to quit, and the mysterious "GM" has a dark streak.
A somewhat ominous look at what could happen if powers were suddenly added to society.

The Gamer
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the- ... itle_no=88
Kind of a LITRPG style story following a person who's introduced to the hidden supernatural world he never knew existed. Unsure of what's going on, and slowly getting pulled into a power struggle he understands nothing about, he's forced to try to figure out what's going on and discover how to protect himself.
And his supernatural powers seemed to be centered around him being an RPG style character.

And in a nice twist he's nowhere near the strongest character in the series, which is surprising considering how many LITRPGs I've seen just turn into a power fantasy.

Tower of God
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/towe ... itle_no=95
The Tower of God is a strange place where those who are invited can enter at the ground floor and make their way up to find great power and wealth. But everybody in the tower is trying to either make their way up at any cost, or keep what they've got.
The result is a dark dog eat dog world with an interesting setting and interesting characters.
And entering this is a kind boy name Bam who doesn't want to hurt people, who only wants to find his friend who's heading up the tower on their own.

The King of High School
http://www.webtoons.com/en/action/the-g ... itle_no=66
Uh... not sure why it's called that.
Honestly it quickly becomes a weird DBZ style combat comic with powers that start at "Bad ass normals" and shoots straight into "God am I" towards the end.
Uh, literally.
You don't care for DBZ then this has very little for you.
But I'm a sucker for terrible things.

unOrdinary
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/unor ... tle_no=679
I this world everybody has a power.
And in this world the strong rule through power, and the weak keep their heads down or suffer the consequences.
So, of course, this series is set in a highschool following a character who has no powers.
Thankfully no signs of the ultraviolence at this point, most of the characters are happy to walk away after having won a fight.

Nano List
http://www.webtoons.com/en/action/nano- ... tle_no=700
... I have no idea.
This definitely falls into guilty pleasure zone, the main character seems stupid anime-esc main character who is lovable, followed by a couple of gynoids who are trying to protect him.
The main character is a normal school student just trying to pass his graduation with high enough marks to be allowed into college. His sister, a brilliant scientist, died years before leaving him only a stipend to live off of, a robot maid, and a birthday gift set to arrive when he turns sixteen. But this gift is a powerful military gynoid that some people would do anything to get their hands on.

Sidekicks
http://www.webtoons.com/en/super-hero/s ... itle_no=92
A superhero series with a lot more violence than I like in my superhero stuff, but I've stuck with it because the main characters have the right mindset. They're here to be heroes and save the day.
The setting is a world where superpowers have appeared, and those with powers are tasked to go to a Superhero College. When you finish you either join the lower tier military style force, join on a hero as their Sidekick, or achieve the pinnacle goal of all involved: Being a hero with all the benefits that go with it. Including the coveted capes which grant Heroes a second unique power.
Unfortunately the world isn't a perfect place, the people in charge of heroes use them to suit their own needs, heroes revel in their own power and ego, using sidekicks as disposable means of weaking villains, or just simply slave labor.
Enter into this Dream Girl, the disillusioned sidekick of Dark Slug, one of the greatest superheros the world has ever known. But what was a coveted position with the greatest hero has turned into a nightmare as she's forced to fight villains far above her "weight class", run menial tasks, and otherwise save the day just so Dark Slug can take the credit.
Is she doomed to a horrible life, or is there more going on than we know?
Blood, death, some dismemberment.

Sidenote: Since they NEVER explain it in the comic here are some things.
All superpowered beings get a standard set of superpowers with strengths varying from user to user including:
-Enhanced Strength/Durability
-Super jumping
-The ability to slow a fall (Dream Girl does this early on, but it looks like flying which is a rare power)
-Energy beams
-Healing

Nobless
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/nobl ... itle_no=87
Remember that DBZ comment?
This one is just as bad.
If your name isn't Raziel or Frankenstien you're probably going to get your ass handed to you.
Big guilty pleasure comic, but as it's free I'm happy to be guilty ;~)

Basic premise is that a powerful vampire who disappeared from the world awakens after a thousand years of slumber and tries to reintegrate himself into the world. But dark shadowy forces are attempting to find him to use his powers to create super soldiers.

Those poor fools.
This falls into a the Bleach crime of introducing a lot of very interesting characters at the beginning who, while remaining in the series, have a much smaller role and never get to develop into main characters while other characters go from unimportant mooks to more story important Krillains. Errr, henchmen.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

I read some of those already mentioned, including Order of the Stick, Girl Genius, Oglaf, Empowered, JL8, Non-Adventures of Wonderella, League of Super Redundant heroes, Strong Female Protagonist, and Perry Bible Fellowship.

Additionally, I also read (sorry if any was already listed and I missed it):

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: gag-a-day (literally, as it updates daily and I have never seen it miss an update) comic. Jokes involving math, religion, philosophy, technology, academic environment, economy, all manner of sciences, and a bunch of other stuff, generally with a pretty nerdy bend. (be sure to read the alt texts and click the red button for extra comedy)

Erfworld: strategy gamer gets summoned as the "perfect warlord" into a superfically-cutesy-but-actually-pretty-brutal fantasy world with wargame-like characteristics. Has changed artist a few times, but in general the art is at least passable (and currently amazing for a webcomic). Great story, lots of game mechanics to explore and find out, tons of puns (that are actually important to how the world works and how the story develops to a certain extent).

Gunnerkrigg Court: a science-fantasy story of a a young girl who attending a strange and mysterious school, and the events that unfold around her as she becomes embroiled in political intrigues between Gunnerkrigg Court and the inhabitants of the Gillitie Wood, a magical forest outside the school. Artwork starts...okay, I guess, but gets pretty damn good as time goes on, and the story is freaking great. One of my favorites.

Cucumber Quest: Cute, funny and occasionally moving all-ages adventure comic about a young boy that simply wants to go to "magic school," but is forced into heroism as the magical land is in danger. Together with his more heroically-inclined sister, a cowardly Knight and an energetic princess, he travels the fantasy world to collect signatures of the princesses of each of the six kingdoms of Dreamside, meeting various eccentric characters on the way. The artwork is both adorable and incredibly good.

Kill 6 Billion Demons: Also among my favorites. Weird Fantasy, I guess? I love this one, but it is hard to describe and has a lot of setting lore in it. Influences from various mythologies, especially Hindu and old testament stuff, as well as Buddhist influences but a very different outlook on them. In a multiverse where God is dead, criminals rule and cruel kings keep an uneasy peace. One day, a mysterious bloody figure appears to a simple barista and bestows upon her an artifact of immense power. She ends up in the ruined godly city at the center of the multiverse and now has to deal with masked demons, stony angels, bloodthirsty warriors and mad god-kings who may want her artifact, while trying to rescue her boyfriend (even if he is kind of a creep).

Also, it has the most metal antagonist of all time. The artwork is pretty unique and a bit of a mess, but good if the style doesn't bother you too much, and I find it fits the comic well. Tagline: Reach Heaven Through Violence!
You may want to follow the author's tumblr for extra setting information

Tales of Pylea: a fantasy story with some more recent elements, such as early firearms, featuring "shards", people who get eternal life and a super-power. In the story, a distant, rational and somewhat cold Shard of great age gets entangled with a much younger female one who is much more of a "brute thug with heart". This "odd couple" end up going after investigating someone who is killing shards and other adventures on the way. There is fun adventure, a nice dose of humor, a hot (and hot-headed) muscular chic and a distant prettyboy as protagonists. The story moves kinda slowly, but the black-and-white-with-a-bit-of-color-here-and-there artwork is gorgeous.

Gaia: a high-fantasy webcomic about a group of friends who unexpectedly become entangled in a plot of tremendous proportions that could imperil the world. While tensions rise between two nations, a group of students of the “Academy for Arcane Studies and Material Arts” face the first serious test in their life, the final exams, when they suddenly find themselves wrapped up in a web of intrigue and magic that could result in war, or even a threat to life itself. The art is nice and some plot twists caught be very much by surprise. The lore of the world is pretty well developed, but not overly long to read.

Miss Melee: This one is a fun, light-hearted comic about a martial-artist superheroine who recently got back to action after a long absence. It is silly but not farcical or trying to deconstruct the genre or anything like that. Just plain fun superhero stuff. Relatively recent, so there isn't a ton of it to read. The artwork is good, fits the style of the comic very well, and I really like the character design on the milf heroine protagonist.

Nerd Rage: Humorously complaining about nerd stuff, particularly games (specially nintendo stuff). Kind of similar to Penny Arcade, though with quite different characters. Artwork is cartoony and pretty well done.

I also read some mangas and manhuas online, but I'll leave those for another time
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Totally forgot to mention Our Super Mom. Basic concept behind it is that Liza is Paragon (the fourth one, as best she knows, and the only female). Supermanalogue, hero, and loving wife and mother. Early in the strip, Liza partially retires, making herself available for crises, but otherwise stopping to make time for her family. As with most such retirements, it does not entirely stick. She keeps getting pulled into one incident or another, which makes her feel guilty about the time away from family. Complicating things, her children seem to be gaining powers... and she's losing hers in the process. Oh, and the government isn't thrilled that she's deciding to get out of the heroing business and they're quite willing to make her life difficult to try to get her back.

The author has written up their characters for 3E M&M. It includes a few that haven't shown up in the comic, but have shown up in the novels, and in his print comic, Raymond Hardcase.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

http://www.dynagirlonline.com/comic/dg-01-cover/
Use to read this one regular when I was taking treatments.

I thought the art was a tad OTT but I like good enough and he story was god as any minstream I've read recently.
proditor

Post by proditor »

I dabble with most of the big ones, but the only one I actively seek out is JL8, because it so $%^&ing amazing. It pretty much reaffirms my faith in humanity with it's innocent outlook. http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

proditor wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:18 pm I dabble with most of the big ones, but the only one I actively seek out is JL8, because it so $%^&ing amazing. It pretty much reaffirms my faith in humanity with it's innocent outlook. http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/
Oh man, I need to start reading JL8 again. I had stopped for a bit to let the artist get some new ones out and forgot to check back up on it.
Formerly luketheduke86
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Another good one, Supervillainous follows the Crimson Claw, a second-rate supervillain that few people take seriously... who actually has access to some pretty serious levels of firepower, and is surprisingly clever sometimes. He also has two kids and an ex-wife. Largely comedic stuff, but quite good.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

In Evil Plan, more moral ambiguity among the heroes. This is actually a rather fascinating idea for a superpowered universe... controlling the superhero population via medical debt which they only learn about after getting that career-ending injury that they recover from due to hyper-advanced technology... which has an off switch if they don't pay their debts.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

New one I picked up, Henchmen Online. It's a fairly simple premise, three guys without powers who are professional henchmen. Evers is the Muscle. Chance is the Hands (pickpocket and guy who knows where to find stuff that fell off of the back of trucks). Tinker is the Brains, and has intimate knowledge of how heroes and villains work. I'd probably call it Bronze Age. The characters and costumes are a bit silly, hearkening back to the Silver Age, but people do die, caught in the crossfire. The artwork is a bit crude, but it gets the job done.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Camp Weedonwantcha - A black comedy comic about a really, really strange and sad summer camp for kids.