Thor unworthy and ignored history.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Post Reply
RUSCHE
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 pm

I have read some recent Unworthy Thor and the New Thor and have a question. What the @#$$ is going on. I get the personal quest Jane is going on and could even wrap my head around the idea of Mjolnir choosing to help her. My big issue is how now there was a cosmic storm if you will and Odin contained it in Mjolnir or it is the essence of Mjolnir. That rewrites all of Thor Odinson exploits and history. His was always the power of the storm and what not the hammer gave him a conduit to effectively use them. They seem to totally ignore the fact when Mjolnir was broken when thor was fighting his Grandfather that Dr.Strange fused his very essence into the hammer. Don't get me wrong I actually have enjoyed some of the writing on both books but it seems they choose to go ehhh screw his history and let's not think about it. I know he is on track to get Ultimate Thor upgraded now magic and not science hammer but still.

Horsenhero
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:21 pm

I couldn't tell you. I gave up on the book when Jason Aaron started treating the name "Thor" like it was a title, not a given name. Not to mention he makes Freyja Odin's queen, not Frigga (who has appeared in comics before) and a whole raft of errors that while individually they aren't deal breakers, taken together they send a crackle of irritation up my spine that won't desist. At this point, I'm like "F" Jason Aaron.

RUSCHE
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by RUSCHE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Horsenhero wrote:I couldn't tell you. I gave up on the book when Jason Aaron started treating the name "Thor" like it was a title, not a given name. Not to mention he makes Freyja Odin's queen, not Frigga (who has appeared in comics before) and a whole raft of errors that while individually they aren't deal breakers, taken together they send a crackle of irritation up my spine that won't desist. At this point, I'm like "F" Jason Aaron.
That's all falls into what the @#$$!!!!! It baffles me to no end why the powers that be are so disrespectful to history and character.

MacynSnow
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:33 pm

the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...

RUSCHE
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by RUSCHE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
I also hate to see Marvel do this ...it to me cheapens and so little respect for the character or characters in this point.

MacynSnow
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm

RUSCHE wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
I also hate to see Marvel do this ...it to me cheapens and so little respect for the character or characters in this point.
and that's what really kills me right now;they have so little respect for their own characters that they're messing with their own Continuty,which they've NEVER done before....They even went so far as to turn Captain America into a Sleeper Hydra Agent.Now just let that thought sink in a minute:They Turned one of their most Popular Characters into a Sleeper Agent for his Most Hated Enemy.I could understand if they were doing it to a "What If" Universe,but to their Main one?!
Part of me want to spend the money for a two-way ticket to New York just so i can find Marvel Comics Headquarter's and hit every single one of them in the Head Repeatedly with a Rubber Chicken(which,strangely enough,is perfectly legal to bring onto Airplanes...) while screaming
"Why are you doing this to Us!?" untill they fix all of this....

RUSCHE
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by RUSCHE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:37 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
RUSCHE wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
I also hate to see Marvel do this ...it to me cheapens and so little respect for the character or characters in this point.
and that's what really kills me right now;they have so little respect for their own characters that they're messing with their own Continuty,which they've NEVER done before....They even went so far as to turn Captain America into a Sleeper Hydra Agent.Now just let that thought sink in a minute:They Turned one of their most Popular Characters into a Sleeper Agent for his Most Hated Enemy.I could understand if they were doing it to a "What If" Universe,but to their Main one?!
Part of me want to spend the money for a two-way ticket to New York just so i can find Marvel Comics Headquarter's and hit every single one of them in the Head Repeatedly with a Rubber Chicken(which,strangely enough,is perfectly legal to bring onto Airplanes...) while screaming
"Why are you doing this to Us!?" untill they fix all of this....
The whole Cap is a Hydra agent is a look we can make a Cillian out of the most honor bound character ever next to Superman and run all his history onto the mud. I know there will be a moment of it us all a trick but come on man it is absolutely makes no sense. On a side note I also would like to go knock the powers to be upside the head a few times....

Shock
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by Shock » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 pm

MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
Hang on a minute. You can't go saying they're changing the comics to be more like the movies while they have a young girl as Iron Man, Jane Foster as Thor and Sam Wilson as Captain America.

MacynSnow
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Shock wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
Hang on a minute. You can't go saying they're changing the comics to be more like the movies while they have a young girl as Iron Man, Jane Foster as Thor and Sam Wilson as Captain America.
Ok,i'll give you that one.....

RUSCHE
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by RUSCHE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:30 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Shock wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
Hang on a minute. You can't go saying they're changing the comics to be more like the movies while they have a young girl as Iron Man, Jane Foster as Thor and Sam Wilson as Captain America.
Ok,i'll give you that one.....
My issue and really only one is the total disregard for the characters, not the use of other gender,race or religion. Just the fact that hey about that worthiness thing you THOUGHT you earned so long ago...never happened. The hammer being a part of you...nope..not a thing. I will get that perhaps the hammer itself chose Jane for a bigger purpose but the writers are saying UNWORTHY. As for the MCU movie and comics being the same I enjoy so of the differences. Sorry for the rant.

User avatar
proditor
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Thor unworthy and ignored history.

Post by proditor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Shock wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 pm
MacynSnow wrote:the main reason they're doing this lately(and this is just my best guess,so take it for the penny it may be worth...) is probably due in part to Their Movie universe being more popular,so they're trying to make the comics match so they can get out of the gutter(like DC had tried to do for the 1000th time this year...).It's sad really,as i always liked anything to do with the Avengers(i even think "the Bomber Jacket Crew" wasn't a bad team,and it even gave Dane Whitman a chance to have some well-deserved Characterization and showed that he was a legit Bad-a&&) and i hate to see Marvel go down this road...
Hang on a minute. You can't go saying they're changing the comics to be more like the movies while they have a young girl as Iron Man, Jane Foster as Thor and Sam Wilson as Captain America.
That's because the comics serve a vitally important role.

Telling stories and advancing plotlines? $%^& no!

More seriously, and I kinda don't blame them, the comics now serve as the vetting pool for ideas for when they have to replace the actors in the Cinematic Universe. Between expiring contracts, old age, or a desire to just not make another superhero movie, the comic books have become the test pool for new ideas for old character concepts.

Have the idea thoroughly tested, make sure it flies, then get ready to cast Gina Carrano as Thor or what have you.

Again, I can't blame them. They probably make as much in profit off of all of the comics they publish in a year as Marvel Studios makes off of one mid-tier movie. And, the movie still has a much larger audience.

Post Reply