Dresdenverse- is parkour a magic word?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Spectrum

Dresdenverse- is parkour a magic word?

Post by Spectrum »

Ares wrote:
Her power as written in the comics is just ridiculous, which is why I nerf it hard in my own settings. I basically treat her style of spellcasting as the equivalent of magic in the Dresden Files setting. There, magic words basically exist as degree of separation from a Wizard's magic and their mind. Wizard's choose a secondary language to cast spells rather than the language they "think" in, so that they don't accidentally call forth their magic using normal language. So when Harry uses "Fuego" to cast a fire spell, it's so that he doesn't accidentally conjure flame every time he says the word "fire".

So this brings up one of my pet theories for the series. In the later books is parkour a magic word that focuses his mind towards incredible acts of acrobatics?

“Did you shout 'Parkour'?" Michael asked.
"Well, sure," I said. "That was kinda Parkour-like."
Michael fought to keep a smile off his face. "Harry," he said, "I'm almost certain one does not shout 'Parkour.' I believe one is supposed to simply do Parkour."
"Do I criticize your Latin battle cries? No, never once.”

― Jim Butcher, Skin Game
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Dresdenverse- is parkour a magic word?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jim Butcher is fairly accessible, so you may be able to ask. Some people have considered that it's supposed be a The Office reference, although that wouldn't make sense given how long Harry has been isolated from society at that time (and how little likely he is to be keeping up with a TV show given what he does to electronics).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks! I'll reach out and see if I get something back.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I'm pretty sure it's just Dresden being aggressively goofy.