What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
BriarThrone
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:33 am

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by BriarThrone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Ken wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 pm
BriarThrone wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 am
The pose offers his buttocks for appreciation, if you're so inclined. If the original pose is okay and not-sexist, then there is no form of logic other than "women are more special" that makes the Jessica Drew cover sexist.
Women are "always" victims, therefore the pose is sexist when she does it.
Men are "always" monsters, therefor the pose is sexist when he does it.
If Miles Morales uses the pose, there's a conundrum, as he's a man and therefore a monster, but black, so therefore a victim.
It's a good thing I know that you're a sarcasm golem, Ken. Otherwise, this would be an epic Poe.

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 pm

It's not like any of the Spider-Clan have ever been shy about showing off what physical specimens they are. I mean, just look at this one showing of how much their chest can expand:

Image

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 pm

BriarThrone wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:06 pm
Ken wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 pm
BriarThrone wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 am
The pose offers his buttocks for appreciation, if you're so inclined. If the original pose is okay and not-sexist, then there is no form of logic other than "women are more special" that makes the Jessica Drew cover sexist.
Women are "always" victims, therefore the pose is sexist when she does it.
Men are "always" monsters, therefor the pose is sexist when he does it.
If Miles Morales uses the pose, there's a conundrum, as he's a man and therefore a monster, but black, so therefore a victim.
It's a good thing I know that you're a sarcasm golem, Ken. Otherwise, this would be an epic Poe.
If "Poe" means what I think it means, I think it was the line I was trying to tread.

In the meantime, I think I will nevermore drink from my cask of amontillado since I found that telltale heart under my floor.
What kind of crap glass was used in the windows of Wayne Manor (post-Crisis) that an animal with a mass of less than 27 grams (i.e. weighs less than an ounce) could break through it?

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Poe’s Law was coined by a guy named Nathan Poe, in the early days of the Internet, much like Godwin’s Law. As originally formulated it held that: “ "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article.“

These days it’s basically been generalized to replace ‘Creationist’ with any other extreme position. Feminists, Mens’ Rights Activists, Flat-Earthers, Athiests, Anti-Vaxxers, Vegans, Chicago Black Hawks fans... You name it.

Not that there cannot be sane and rational minded members of these groups (well, except the Black Hawks fans). It’s just that they tend to be fringe positions to begin with and have an even fringe-ier militant lunatic camp within them.

It can be very difficult to write a parody of the lunatic fringe because, odds are, there’s a group somewhere out there that truly believes it.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

MacynSnow
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Our Society today is SO concerned with avoiding Offense that hardly anyone can tell a joke without getting arrested,wear a Tacky Hawaiian shirt without getting yelled at,or even laugh at a Godzilla movies bad dubbing without being called racist.It's sad how far that Stick is stuck up there....

User avatar
L-Space
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by L-Space » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm

So DCs streaming service DC Universe, will include TV, movies, AND a rotating catalogue of comics dating back to Action Comics #1.

Curious what kind of price we'd be looking at here.
Image
Formerly luketheduke86

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:56 pm
Our Society today is SO concerned with avoiding Offense that hardly anyone can tell a joke without getting arrested,wear a Tacky Hawaiian shirt without getting yelled at,or even laugh at a Godzilla movies bad dubbing without being called racist.It's sad how far that Stick is stuck up there....
I swear on my favorite batarang, I once had a young woman in one of my university classes deliver a fifteen-ish minute lecture to me about how I had "internalized misogyny" because I referred to the United States Coast Guard personnel that were patrolling the Detroit River as "Coast Guardsmen" instead of "Guardsmen and Guardswomen."

The fact that "-men" in this use as a suffix is a gender neutral collective noun didn't seem to matter to her.
The fact that "Guardsman" is the traditional term for any person, especially military personnel, who is on guard didn't seem to matter to her.
The fact that "Coast Guardsman" is the legally codified term for USCG personnel didn't seem to matter to her.
The fact that, at the time we were speaking, I was an active duty Coast Guardsman with five years of continuous service... Seemed to catch her (pun intended) off guard.

The Perpetually Offended Crowd is easily angered, incredibly ill-informed, and seemingly incapable of ever having a rational discussion with anyone who has a different point of view than the current liberal-progressive orthodoxy's doctrines. She knew any us of "-man" as a suffix was sexist, I used "-man" as a suffix, ergo, I must be sexist. Providing her evidence contrary to this pre-programmed chain of thought caused something of a short circuit.

I think it’s a result of societal pressures to (a) never be accused of an –ism, (b) assuming any offense given is given as a calculated decision stemming from an –ism, and (c) taking offense at damn near anything. So we get this weird sort of obsequies more-inoffensive-than-thou doublethink and doublespeak. They're not passive aggressive, they're aggressively passive.

Today's Millennial youths and many of my fellow Gen-Xers have been raised in a society where expecting employees to show up on time to a meeting is an offensive act of –ism’ing, but meetings must still be held. Hence, they learn to cloak such a request in fifteen layers of obsequiousness. “Bob, hey, if it’s not too much trouble, we’re thinking about having a team-building confab this afternoon. Two-ish? If you have any thoughts to contribute, like about the Rockford stuff, maybe stop by?”

Older generations (and other youths who didn’t abosorb the same social mores) don’t obfuscate their language accordingly. “Bob, there’s a meeting at 2:00 PM. Be there ready to present on the Rockford file.”

Violating social mores seems uncouth to people who do follow those mores. Hence, the direct generations see the obfuscating generations as being weird; meanwhile the obfuscating generation sees the direct generation as being rude... and rudeness offends. Offense is a result of an –ism. Ism’ing is heretical.

So a movie reviewer who critiques A Wrinkle In Time or Ghostbusters too harshly offends the people who liked the movie (or the people who didn't like the movie, but, had been told they were supposed to like the movie, so they say they liked the movie). Any time an offense is given, it must have been done as a calculated decision stemming from an –ism. Ism’ing is heretical.

An artist who draws a too sexy cover for Spider-Woman offends the sex-negative feminists, the fat acceptance crowd, and their fellow travelers. Any time an offense is given, it must have been done as a calculated decision stemming from an –ism. Ism’ing is heretical.

And so on and so forth.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 pm
Today's Millennial youths and many of my fellow Gen-Xers have been raised in a society where expecting employees to show up on time to a meeting is an offensive act of –ism’ing, but meetings must still be held. Hence, they learn to cloak such a request in fifteen layers of obsequiousness. “Bob, hey, if it’s not too much trouble, we’re thinking about having a team-building confab this afternoon. Two-ish? If you have any thoughts to contribute, like about the Rockford stuff, maybe stop by?”

Older generations (and other youths who didn’t abosorb the same social mores) don’t obfuscate their language accordingly. “Bob, there’s a meeting at 2:00 PM. Be there ready to present on the Rockford file.”
I doubt today's Millenials and younger would have ANY appreciation for the Rockford Files.








Then again, when I was little, when I could only see the beginning of it before bedtime, I thought it was about a detective in the city to the northwest of me. Same city where I matriculated at a school of the same name.
What kind of crap glass was used in the windows of Wayne Manor (post-Crisis) that an animal with a mass of less than 27 grams (i.e. weighs less than an ounce) could break through it?

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:32 am

And in case anyone missed it, the New York Times spoiled the ending of the Batman / Catwoman wedding at least a day before the issues release.

Spoiler Warning:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Catwoman leaves Batman at the alter. Her rational is that if Bruce Wayne is actually happy, then his career as Batman will suffer, and Gotham needs Batman more than Bruce Wayne and Selena Kyle need to be happy.

What.

A.

Load.

This is actually the same logic Talia used back when she and Bruce got together in the 80s, during that one-shot that was later used to justify Damian Wayne's existence. Bruce Wayne being happy made for a less effective Batman.

So remember kids, heroes cannot be effective at their jobs if they aren't in a constant state of brooding angst.

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 am

Well, I never thought it would take. At least not without being on a parallel earth.
What kind of crap glass was used in the windows of Wayne Manor (post-Crisis) that an animal with a mass of less than 27 grams (i.e. weighs less than an ounce) could break through it?

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Yeah, I thought they'd run with it a bit more though.




...I am pleased that Immortal Hulk is apparently tapping into the old Bill Bixby tv show and is bringing in Del Frye though. That sort of nod or what not I'll always appreciate.

Jabroniville
Posts: 8023
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Flipped through the X-Men issue where Kitty runs away at the altar.

It's maddening. In part because the actual WRITING and DIALOGUE are good. The art is fantastic- absolutely what they should be doing more of- strong-jawed, handsome men and beautiful women. Very lovely- not like a lot of the "Indie Comics means everyone is deformed, right?" stuff you see these days.

But the IDEA is stupid. Kitty proposes to Colossus, they build this up for MONTHS, and then she just quits the idea, fearing they'll just screw it up later? Because a drunk Illyana puts some doubt into her mind? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? So there's all this great writing and art, and it's all in service of an IDEA that sucks. It's like having the best inker in the world work over Rob Liefeld's pencils. A bad idea and story means the whole thing is rotten.

And now Gambit & Rogue, the most tired couple in X-History, are suddenly back together after more than a decade (I think) apart, when she's had two or three love interests in the interim. Gambit- a character with so many failed book runs that even the WRITERS were joking about it.

MacynSnow
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by MacynSnow » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 pm

This what get's me about modern day comic writers: They think that,in order to have a Good Hero,they have to be "Angsty"...Well i got news for you people,IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE! Spider-Man was married FOR YEARS and he was still the guilt-ridden nerd we all knew&loved....Mr.Fantastic&The Invisible Woman have been Married for as long as we've all been Alive and IT WORKED,they weren't always Happy or Content,but like any Married Couple,they made it work....

I know,statistically speaking,that 75-80% of all marriages end in Divorce(i grew-up as a child of one of those numbers), but that's no reason to keep a Marriage from happening in Comics.We read them to Escape Reality,not get hit with it like your swinging with Mijornir(?)....

Shock
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Shock » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 pm
I know,statistically speaking,that 75-80% of all marriages end in Divorce(i grew-up as a child of one of those numbers), but that's no reason to keep a Marriage from happening in Comics.We read them to Escape Reality,not get hit with it like your swinging with Mijornir(?)....
Err... your number is about 80% high there. Google says it's about 40-50%. Your point is right though. It's OK to have some heroes be dysfunctional or angsty. But if they all are, then every hero starts to look the same.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 am

I’m on my second marriage, fer crissakes, so I know full well that divorces happen... But that doesn’t mean every marriage will.

Selena getting cold-feet and fearing that she couldn’t really “go straight” and be a good partner for Bruce? Leaving him at the altar, absconding from Gotham City, and him tracking her down... and then marrying her anyway. With a speech about how they both make each other better. That would be a great story. True to their natures and yet inspiring and life-affirming.

Not this.

Ugh.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Post Reply