What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Beleriphon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Beleriphon »

What's new in DC?

Superman told everybody he's Clark Kent. Like everybody, at a press conference.

Alfred's dead and Batman and Catwoman forgot to get married, but decided they are emotionally so its all good. Bane killed Thomas Wayne.

Martian Manhunter's half Thanagarian son from the future released him from being fused to Lex Luthor. Something about doom, IDK.

Keep in mind I'm actually enjoying the Superman titles, the Batman titles, and Justice League.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Why? Why do you hate your readers? Why do you hate money? Why would you do this, why?

Seriously, I have never seen such a misguided middle aged, boomer, "well met fellow teens" moment as this is. Just no. There isn't enough no in the world to express how much this is the wrong creative direction.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, I like the re-design for Night Thrasher and that both Rage and Firestar are in slightly modified versions of their original outfits. Wish they'd give Speedball back his original look too.

Apart from that . . . there's a whole lot of NOPE! going on there.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It's apparently a Limited Series, and it reunites a bit of the old cast. Except Rage is currently supposed to be DEAD, and Thrash & Namorita were weirdly resurrected from their "Stamford Incident" deaths...

Lacking Justice & Nova is weird.

The new kids seem to be drawn from the "Modern Inhumans" school of Odd-Looking Fashionable Young Teens With Weird Hair school of character design, with a random chubby girl for "Body Diversity" (even though literally everyone else is ripped). Introducing five kids at once in a Limited Series is doomed to failure, and, well... the New Warriors name is dead and means nothing, really. That book has failed more times than the Doom Patrol has.

Also that's not how Firestar's mask should look in profile. I mean, art is HARD and that's a tricky thing to draw, but that's the COVER!
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

it looks more like Namora to me but eh.

Jab's right. Firestar's mask is way off. Looks like the pair of glasses I broke before Christmas. One side off to god knows what angle.

Oh hey look most have that "team costume" thing too. God, I hate that.
Why do the noobs look more like a Daft Punk video?

pass.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So there's a new X-Men/Fantastic Four mini-series out, and someone is FINALLY calling the X-Men out on what they've pulling when they basically show up to try and kidnap Franklin Richards. Granted, Reed has a flub of his own and Franklin is acting like a tool, but at least someone is pointing out how the X-Men are basically acting like radical Mutant Supremacists and isolationists. I can't wait to find out that there's some pod room deep on that island filled with all the actual X-Men while a bunch of plant clones have been wandering around.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Ares wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:59 ambut at least someone is pointing out how the X-Men are basically acting like radical Mutant Supremacists and isolationists.
Reading Marvel for the last couple of years really shows you the character of the people writing for comics & how far it's drifted from anything that could be considered noble.

Age of Apocalypse: A country based on racial segregation is bad & our heroes need to stop it.

Genosha: A country based on racial segregation is bad & our heroes need to stop it.

House of M: A country based on racial segregation is bad & our heroes need to stop it.

X-men in the year 2020: A country based on racial segregation is heroic & our heroes are in charge of it.

It has been said that a writer can't write a story without writing about themselves, that what they want the world to be like will come thru in the narrative. Hmmmmm, I wonder what type of people Marvel has writing for it these days that suddenly we've gone from "racial segregation is bad" to "racial segregation is good."

It certainly gets the nogging a jogging doesn't it.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Dan Didio has left DC Comics.

Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Now where it's too late or not to save DC Comics from what Dan has done to the franchise for the last 20 years is anyone's guess, but at least he's gone.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Ding Dong!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pmDan Didio has left DC Comics.
Sounds like it's not so much he left, as much as he was forced out.

Alas this likely won't save comics or even save just DC, this appears to be a case of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

If the rumor mill is true, then DC Comics is in a lot of trouble. Apparently they need to do something to justify themselves in order for AT&T to maintain the comics publishing wing, or it might get shut down, with the characters potentially being licensed off to other publishers like Marvel or Image.

The problem is that apparently their options are either a) Hope the 5G initiative succeeds or b) Pull something completely new out of their butts.

Unfortunately, Dan DiDio was the mastermind behind 5G, and based on what I've heard, 5G would be the fastest way to ensure the comics division dies a fiery death. Imagine replacing EVERY major hero in DC with a new legacy hero and then forcing fans to pay extra for the classic characters?

I hope DC Comics survives. I'd love nothing more than to have a regular pull list again, to be invested in the universe and its direction like I once was. But as long as people like DiDio, Bendis and King were making major decisions for the company, that wasn't going to happen. Now when positive change could happen, it's at a make or break point for the company.

saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Ares wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:57 pmUnfortunately, Dan DiDio was the mastermind behind 5G, and based on what I've heard, 5G would be the fastest way to ensure the comics division dies a fiery death.
Well I will say this, I was willing to save Marvel & I am willing to save DC.

Just give me a shout DC, I can save you today, it's not like it would be hard. :lol:
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:57 pm If the rumor mill is true, then DC Comics is in a lot of trouble. Apparently they need to do something to justify themselves in order for AT&T to maintain the comics publishing wing, or it might get shut down, with the characters potentially being licensed off to other publishers like Marvel or Image.

The problem is that apparently their options are either a) Hope the 5G initiative succeeds or b) Pull something completely new out of their butts.
“The rumor mill” at this point seems to be Ethan Van Sciver, so should be taken with an ample serving of salt.

That said, 5G would have been a train wreck as it was described.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

saint_matthew wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:59 am Image

Why? Why do you hate your readers? Why do you hate money? Why would you do this, why?

Seriously, I have never seen such a misguided middle aged, boomer, "well met fellow teens" moment as this is. Just no. There isn't enough no in the world to express how much this is the wrong creative direction.
https://youtu.be/5PCWUCv1rnU

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, I so called it. I said this was going to be a hugely misguided middle aged, boomer, "well met fellow teens" moment & here is the official release of the characters information.