What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares »

My understanding also is that most first time marriages actually endure. What's bringing up the divorce rate is the fact that a lot of people who get divorced also get divorced over and over again.

A friend of mine once explained it as, "Okay, so you get married once and you divorce, then it could have been anyone's fault. You were young, it was your first time, etc.

The second divorce, it's still possibly could be either of yours fault, or just a general incompatibility.

By the third divorce, it's probably you, and you just need to accept that you're either not the marrying type, or you're not ready for marriage right now."

The people that are on their fifth or sixth divorce are basically driving up the numbers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 am I’m on my second marriage, fer crissakes, so I know full well that divorces happen... But that doesn’t mean every marriage will.

Selena getting cold-feet and fearing that she couldn’t really “go straight” and be a good partner for Bruce? Leaving him at the altar, absconding from Gotham City, and him tracking her down... and then marrying her anyway. With a speech about how they both make each other better. That would be a great story. True to their natures and yet inspiring and life-affirming.

Not this.

Ugh.
See, that sounds like an infinitely better story.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I started with the premise that superheroes are heroic. This was clearly the point of divergence between me and every modern comic book scribe.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Well it could still go somewhere. There was.....outside interference....so maybe Batman #75
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:32 am And in case anyone missed it, the New York Times spoiled the ending of the Batman / Catwoman wedding at least a day before the issues release.

Spoiler Warning:
I managed to catch up on the whole thing recently, like the entire run from Batman #25 or so all the way to now. All I can say: soul crushing.

That being said, I'm expecting some kind of turn around. King has way to much build up to just let this drop completely off the story line, its fairly clear to me that the story isn't over. I can't imagine that there will be anything other than a big happy Superhero Wedding eventually, even though the drunk judge on the rooftop suits Batman better.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What annoyed me was that probably the most emotional moment of the issue was ruined by Bruce playing on his cellphone. Alfred asks who Bruce would want to be his witness to the marriage, suggesting Dick Grayson or Clark Kent, two obvious choices. Bruce says, "Actually Alfred, I'd prefer it was you, if you're available. You've been with me since the beginning. It only seems right."

And then Alfred gets this look of shock on his face, sits down next to Bruce, and gives him a hug. Bruce is playing on his cellphone the entire time.

Alfred deserved better. That should have been a moment of vulnerability for Bruce, of genuine emotion, of making the offer to his father figure and perhaps being uncertain of Alfred's answer. Alfred was perfect in the scene, just stunned, appreciative silence, followed by a hug. It's Bruce I'm disappointed with.

To Alfred, the unsung hero of the Bat-Family.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Alfred should have slapped the phone out of his hands. He raised Bruce to be a gentleman, by George.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Tom King's run of Batman is sleepier than a sloth with a full belly. I have not been so bored with a Batman comic since the whole 'I'm BAT GOD!' run in the 80's and 90's.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So the Champions and West Coast Avengers are more or less a dumping ground for Marvel's bad ideas. The Champions recently confronted Thanos himself, and Riri Williams tried her usual schtick on him. Now, in her own book, this resulted in things like Riri conquering Latveria, receiving constant emotional validation from SHIELD and other superheroes, and more or less acting like an entitled narcissist.

Here?

She gets smacked upside the head with the Reality Stick and finds out that movie success and being a legacy character still matters to some people.

*sigh* It's a good day.

What's better is that after this nice reality check, Riri actually decides to start making her armor more of her own thing instead of something she basically stole from Iron Man. So hey, maybe we'll get actual character development and Riri will become a character worth reading about.

Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:16 am What annoyed me was that probably the most emotional moment of the issue was ruined by Bruce playing on his cellphone. Alfred asks who Bruce would want to be his witness to the marriage, suggesting Dick Grayson or Clark Kent, two obvious choices. Bruce says, "Actually Alfred, I'd prefer it was you, if you're available. You've been with me since the beginning. It only seems right."
I took it quite differently, it seemed more that Bruce was trying to get one over on Alfred, surprise him as it were. I thought the entire sequence was delightfully happy.

As a follow up in Catwoman #1 its pretty clear she's emotionally crushed by her decision, also I'm sure Bane is involved in somehow getting her to leave at the last minute though some kind of manipulation by putting the Joker up to what he did in the previous issue. Nevermind the fact that he shows up at the end of the comic basically claiming success.

On happier, and stranger, note has anybody been reading Brave and the Bold: Batmand and Wonder Woman mini-series?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Beleriphon wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:16 am What annoyed me was that probably the most emotional moment of the issue was ruined by Bruce playing on his cellphone. Alfred asks who Bruce would want to be his witness to the marriage, suggesting Dick Grayson or Clark Kent, two obvious choices. Bruce says, "Actually Alfred, I'd prefer it was you, if you're available. You've been with me since the beginning. It only seems right."
I took it quite differently, it seemed more that Bruce was trying to get one over on Alfred, surprise him as it were. I thought the entire sequence was delightfully happy.
I might have felt that way, but to me it looks like Bruce wasn't still looking at his cellphone while he's hugging Alfred.

Maybe that's my own reading of it or an artist mistake, but it undercuts the rest of the image. Alfred's reaction is perfect, the moment is beautiful, and Bruce is . . . annoying the heck out of me.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’d “read” more clearly if he’d dropped the phone before the final panel or wasn’t holding it upright.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 pm It’d “read” more clearly if he’d dropped the phone before the final panel or wasn’t holding it upright.
I'll defend that scene a little bit and point out i hold my phone like that all the time when i hug the Sidekick,but i never look at it when i do.Maybe "Mr.Wayne" is doing the same?

As for Riri getting the Reality Stick Beating she rightly deserved,i'd just like to point out something:When she took over Latveria,it was when Doom was going through his Mid-life Crisis and decided to be a Hero(hey,some people date folks half their age,others buy impractically expensive cars,Super Villians try to be Superheroes...).THANOS doesn't give two craps about anything but himself and his love of Lady Death(and Gamora if you count the MCU version,but i'm just counting the Comic's only for right now).It's like an old Advanced Dungeons And Dragons saying i heard as a kid;
"Don't Go Into The Dragon's Den unless you want to Meet Said Dragon."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:29 pm So the Champions and West Coast Avengers are more or less a dumping ground for Marvel's bad ideas. The Champions recently confronted Thanos himself, and Riri Williams tried her usual schtick on him. Now, in her own book, this resulted in things like Riri conquering Latveria, receiving constant emotional validation from SHIELD and other superheroes, and more or less acting like an entitled narcissist.

Here?

She gets smacked upside the head with the Reality Stick and finds out that movie success and being a legacy character still matters to some people.

*sigh* It's a good day.

What's better is that after this nice reality check, Riri actually decides to start making her armor more of her own thing instead of something she basically stole from Iron Man. So hey, maybe we'll get actual character development and Riri will become a character worth reading about.
I was actually going to bring that up to you in this very thread. As soon as I read that I was all "Ares is going to love this shit."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:01 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 pm It’d “read” more clearly if he’d dropped the phone before the final panel or wasn’t holding it upright.
I'll defend that scene a little bit and point out i hold my phone like that all the time when i hug the Sidekick,but i never look at it when i do.Maybe "Mr.Wayne" is doing the same?

As for Riri getting the Reality Stick Beating she rightly deserved,i'd just like to point out something:When she took over Latveria,it was when Doom was going through his Mid-life Crisis and decided to be a Hero(hey,some people date folks half their age,others buy impractically expensive cars,Super Villians try to be Superheroes...).THANOS doesn't give two craps about anything but himself and his love of Lady Death(and Gamora if you count the MCU version,but i'm just counting the Comic's only for right now).It's like an old Advanced Dungeons And Dragons saying i heard as a kid;
"Don't Go Into The Dragon's Den unless you want to Meet Said Dragon."
He loves Gamora in the comics too.....in his own way....or at least he did.