What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Batgirl III

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III »

Honestly, that they stayed married after that bothers me more than if they had divorced. When your beloved husband builds an extra-dimensional gulag to imprison your some of your family’s oldest and closest friends, permanently, with no trial, no due process, no appeal, guarded by a resurrected omnicidal kill-bot and even threatens to send your little brother and YOU to it... Yeesh. That is not the time to stand by your man, Sue.

Ugh. Marvel doesn’t like superheroes...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am Honestly, that they stayed married after that bothers me more than if they had divorced. When your beloved husband builds an extra-dimensional gulag to imprison your some of your family’s oldest and closest friends, permanently, with no trial, no due process, no appeal, guarded by a resurrected omnicidal kill-bot and even threatens to send your little brother and YOU to it... Yeesh. That is not the time to stand by your man, Sue.

Especially considering that "diplomatic mission" to Atlantis. Nerdy husband has gone Dark Side in a big way? Why not go "talk" to that psycho Bad Boy with the abs and the shirt allergy who has been eyeing you? That'll teach him!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Do you have any idea how long Namor can hold his breath?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 am Do you have any idea how long Namor can hold his breath?
Considering he has gills ... probably not as long as one might think. :P
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am Honestly, that they stayed married after that bothers me more than if they had divorced. When your beloved husband builds an extra-dimensional gulag to imprison your some of your family’s oldest and closest friends, permanently, with no trial, no due process, no appeal, guarded by a resurrected omnicidal kill-bot and even threatens to send your little brother and YOU to it... Yeesh. That is not the time to stand by your man, Sue.

Here's the thing,though: Sue knew Reed was doing all that in some stupid&misguided attempt to protect Franklin and Valeria from Tony.If you pay attention when he's in his lab before Sue leaves for that "Diplomatic Mission"(untill i see both Namor and Sue in a bed in all their naked glory,i refuse to think it as something else),you can see how much he honestly hates himself for doing all this.It looked like it physically hurt when Sue told him he was acting "just like Victor"......
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Here's the thing,though: Sue knew Reed was doing all that in some stupid&misguided attempt to protect Franklin and Valeria from Tony.If you pay attention when he's in his lab before Sue leaves for that "Diplomatic Mission"(untill i see both Namor and Sue in a bed in all their naked glory,i refuse to think it as something else),you can see how much he honestly hates himself for doing all this.It looked like it physically hurt when Sue told him he was acting "just like Victor"......
Civil War was a great concept in theory, but it had the problem: 50 years of characterization and continuity to contend with!

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Civil War was a great concept in theory, but it had the problem: 50 years of characterization and continuity to contend with!
That why i consider it Immortus drunk dialing junk.... :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Civil War would have been a great fit for the Ultimate Marvel universe. Less continuity to wreck, less established characterization to derail, and a much smaller cast to work with... Heck, most of the heroes had been working as government agents since day one, so the idea of the government wanting oversight of all superhumans wouldn’t have seemed as far-fetched as it did in Earth-616 where they’d kinda ignored it for fifty-odd years.

Oh well, that ship has sailed... into an iceberg
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

....Then it got lit on fire.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 pm Civil War would have been a great fit for the Ultimate Marvel universe. Less continuity to wreck, less established characterization to derail, and a much smaller cast to work with... Heck, most of the heroes had been working as government agents since day one, so the idea of the government wanting oversight of all superhumans wouldn’t have seemed as far-fetched as it did in Earth-616 where they’d kinda ignored it for fifty-odd years.

Oh well, that ship has sailed... into an iceberg
Just an iceberg ... I thought it was a T.A.R.D.I.S.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Finally read Avengers #1. No She-Hulk yet (though flipping through issue 2... HRRRRNNNNSSSSKKKK...), but it's well-drawn (less exaggerated than Ed McGuinness's other stuff), contains the Big Three doing a discussion of The Big Three, gives bits and pieces to some of the others, and establishes a Big Damn Threat. Not sure about Celestials being used as jobbers AGAIN- their value is really diminished by repeated uses like this.

Weirdest part is seeing Doctor Strange be "Peter Quilled". Gone is the previous, serious character, and in his stead of Peter Parker, Sorcerer Supreme. He's doing "Oh, of course we're doing this ridiculous thing" jokes, acting like his snarky movie version, and being way more fussy. It's REALLY odd to see this happen to yet another character (Tony Stark naturally did this ten years ago).

Though I HATE the old Dr. Strange, so this is actually a more welcome change.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am Finally read Avengers #1. No She-Hulk yet (though flipping through issue 2... HRRRRNNNNSSSSKKKK...), but it's well-drawn (less exaggerated than Ed McGuinness's other stuff), contains the Big Three doing a discussion of The Big Three, gives bits and pieces to some of the others, and establishes a Big Damn Threat. Not sure about Celestials being used as jobbers AGAIN- their value is really diminished by repeated uses like this.

Weirdest part is seeing Doctor Strange be "Peter Quilled". Gone is the previous, serious character, and in his stead of Peter Parker, Sorcerer Supreme. He's doing "Oh, of course we're doing this ridiculous thing" jokes, acting like his snarky movie version, and being way more fussy. It's REALLY odd to see this happen to yet another character (Tony Stark naturally did this ten years ago).

I enjoyed it, it had that 'genuine Avengers' feel that so many of the recent teams had been missing. I do question the use of Robbie Reyes though, IIRC not only are his 'GR' abilities separate from the spirits of vengeance lineage, so presumably he doesn't connect to the prehistoric Avengers (I may be proven wrong on this at a later date) surely if you're going to have a GR on such a team you'd have Blaze or Ketch, if nothing else their bikes fit in the back of a Quinjet :)

I also question how Reyes could have killed Starbrand.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 amWeirdest part is seeing Doctor Strange be "Peter Quilled". Gone is the previous, serious character, and in his stead of Peter Parker, Sorcerer Supreme. He's doing "Oh, of course we're doing this ridiculous thing" jokes, acting like his snarky movie version, and being way more fussy. It's REALLY odd to see this happen to yet another character (Tony Stark naturally did this ten years ago).

Eh, Dr. Strange's sense of humor was an on/off type thing depending on the writer. One thing I genuinely enjoyed about the character was that he actually got along well with Spider-Man. Seriously, despite how at odds the two are, the pair routinely hung out together, helped each other out, and got along famously. So Strange having a sense of humor makes sense, especially a sarcastic one given the stuff he has to deal with.

M4C8 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:51 pmI enjoyed it, it had that 'genuine Avengers' feel that so many of the recent teams had been missing. I do question the use of Robbie Reyes though, IIRC not only are his 'GR' abilities separate from the spirits of vengeance lineage, so presumably he doesn't connect to the prehistoric Avengers (I may be proven wrong on this at a later date) surely if you're going to have a GR on such a team you'd have Blaze or Ketch, if nothing else their bikes fit in the back of a Quinjet :)

I also question how Reyes could have killed Starbrand.
Wait, what? He killed Starbrand? Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't a fan of them bringing in the New Universe concepts into the mainstream Marvel Universe, and Starbrand is generally not consistent at all, but the version of Starbrand they introduced was taking on Thor, Hyperion and the Hulk all at once and doing a decent job of holding his own. I guess they could say that Reyes's supernatural nature let him kill Starbrand, or that the spirits of the people Starbrand accidentally killed wanting vengeance made said killing possible, but yeah. That seems a bit out there.

Then again, having a "Ghost Rider" on the Avengers is about as weird to me as having Ares or Wolverine on the team. As in, I find it VERY weird. Next thing you know the Punisher will be on the team.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Yep, GR killed him with using a Penance Stare (an ability he didn't previously possess) which I'm sure doesn't normally kill someone, let alone someone as powerful as Starbrand. It's best used on those who are genuinely evil, Starbrand isn't a bad guy and already feels guilt over the deaths he accidentally caused.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Then again, having a "Ghost Rider" on the Avengers is about as weird to me as having Ares or Wolverine on the team. As in, I find it VERY weird. Next thing you know the Punisher will be on the team.
At least Wolverine has a long history of being a “team player.” Ares was both a little used character and a god of war, so making him a “team player” didn’t really contradict established characterization and could be explained as a “strategic decision.”

I know Marvel has tried to make Ghost Rider a team player in the past, but pretty much every reader then and now responds to the idea of him spending time on the Defenders or with the Fantastic Four as a joke. He’s like the living embodiment of “moody loner.”

My only guess is that he was well-received on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and they want to ride that train in the comics.