What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ken

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken »

BriarThrone wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 amShe also managed to come up with a sales pitch that somehow managed to convince several people that her sexual favors were worth not only the time involved in the act itself, but also extra effort to compensate her afterward. Looking at her... I'd say that had to be a pretty creative pitch. I guess there really is something to be said for experience?
Ah, but you see, you're being discerning, and are assuming other people will be as well.

"I put out," isn't a particularly creative sales pitch. But it can be an effective one in the right circles.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Maybe a Marvel fan can help me out here, I find myself in a unique position of needing help with a character.

I recently got interested in learning more about the character of Hope Summers, the so-called Mutant Messiah. I'm considering using her as part of an upcoming project, but I wanted to do a little more about her.

From what I've read her history is that she was the first mutant born after M-Day, the day Wanda Maximoff said "No More Mutants". She was apparently some prophesied child meant to "light their darkest hour" or some such, and as a result, different factions were interested in her. Eventually, Cable took her to his own future to raise her as his own daughter and prepare her for her life. We saw her twice after, once as a 10 year old kid being trained by Cable, and once more in the present where she's in her mid-to-late teens.

She gets involved in some weird shenanigans with people trying to kill her (the whole "messiah" bit), something weird called the "Five Lights", and ultimately has her biggest role in Avengers vs X-Men, when the Phoenix Force comes to Earth, and instead of acting like a bunch of heroes, Cyclops basically picks a fight with the Avengers and they start brawling over Hope's fate, never really asking her what she wants. Eventually she gets some training from people like Iron Fist and Spider-Man, and is able to draw the Phoenix Force to her, using it to not only undo most of the damage of the last few days, but to restart the mutant population, fulfilling her "messiah" destiny by bringing about the return of mutants worldwide.

Since then she's done . . . not much, aside from a few token appearances.

She's displayed a few one-off abilities, but her primary power appears to be power duplication. From what I can tell, she can copy the powers of any mutant within a certain range of her, though if she tries to use too many powers at once, she experiences some kind of power burnout. Beyond that, she's trained in survival, tracking, and various types of combat. Like her adoptive father Cable, she carries guns with her "just in case". It's unknown right now if she can copy non-mutant superpowers.

All of this I was able to find out with a little searching on the web.

What I HAVEN'T been able to find out is what her personality was suppose to be. Plenty of write-ups about her history and her abilities, but her personality is something no one apparently wanted to write down on paper. Does she have one?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 am Maybe a Marvel fan can help me out here, I find myself in a unique position of needing help with a character.

I recently got interested in learning more about the character of Hope Summers, the so-called Mutant Messiah. I'm considering using her as part of an upcoming project, but I wanted to do a little more about her.

From what I've read her history is that she was the first mutant born after M-Day, the day Wanda Maximoff said "No More Mutants". She was apparently some prophesied child meant to "light their darkest hour" or some such, and as a result, different factions were interested in her. Eventually, Cable took her to his own future to raise her as his own daughter and prepare her for her life. We saw her twice after, once as a 10 year old kid being trained by Cable, and once more in the present where she's in her mid-to-late teens.

She gets involved in some weird shenanigans with people trying to kill her (the whole "messiah" bit), something weird called the "Five Lights", and ultimately has her biggest role in Avengers vs X-Men, when the Phoenix Force comes to Earth, and instead of acting like a bunch of heroes, Cyclops basically picks a fight with the Avengers and they start brawling over Hope's fate, never really asking her what she wants. Eventually she gets some training from people like Iron Fist and Spider-Man, and is able to draw the Phoenix Force to her, using it to not only undo most of the damage of the last few days, but to restart the mutant population, fulfilling her "messiah" destiny by bringing about the return of mutants worldwide.

Since then she's done . . . not much, aside from a few token appearances.

She's displayed a few one-off abilities, but her primary power appears to be power duplication. From what I can tell, she can copy the powers of any mutant within a certain range of her, though if she tries to use too many powers at once, she experiences some kind of power burnout. Beyond that, she's trained in survival, tracking, and various types of combat. Like her adoptive father Cable, she carries guns with her "just in case". It's unknown right now if she can copy non-mutant superpowers.

All of this I was able to find out with a little searching on the web.

What I HAVEN'T been able to find out is what her personality was suppose to be. Plenty of write-ups about her history and her abilities, but her personality is something no one apparently wanted to write down on paper. Does she have one?
Hope Summers(non-blood.No one knows who her parents were,as they were killed just before the X-Men got there by a pack of starving Wolves) always felt....best way i can call it is 'overburdened'...by the expectation's placed upon her.She didn't want to be this 'Mutant Savior' and especially not the 'Great Destroyer' that nutjob Bishop thought she was going to be.All she wanted was to make her 'Father' Cable proud of her and to go save the world like he did.While she disliked Cyclops for acting like a jerk to the old guy with the Shield,she didn't think he was right either.That's why she went to talk and learn from Spider-Man and Iron Fist,to find a better way of doing things...

Beyond what happened with the Phoenix junk,she's just a teenage Girl trying to find her way without a Parent to guide her(Cable had died at the time taking out Bishop).She MIGHT listen to Cyclops,but tends to heed the advice of Nightcrawler more(at least when he was alive)...

Hope that helps you out Ares! :D
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That does help a bit, thanks. :)
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Part of the reason I ask is because I came across this and thought it was very well done.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Diane Nelson is apparently out of the top spot at DC Entertainment/WB.

Since this was announced the same day as the Zoë Quinn is coming to Vertigo, a cynic might suspect that Ms. Nelson was "pushed" and that the Quinn announcement was timed to, shall we say, make the news cycle be about her rather than Nelson.

Zoë Quinn, tool of the patriarchy.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Shame. Diane's a really nice gal, at least to talk to anyway.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nice doesn’t make up for the millions of dollars lost on Justice League. The flick had a reported “break even” cost of $750 million — $300 million budget (but went over-budget) re-shoots, distribution, marketing, etc. — and the film grossed $230 million in the United States and Canada, and $420 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $650 million.

Then there’s in incalculable damage done to these character’s brands by their movie flopping. Warner Bros. has decided to continue the DCEU project, but you know that they’ve got to be downgrading their expectations.

DC Comics’ properties have done well on television under her watch; the straight-to-video animated films have continued to do well under her watch; and the comic books themselves have been revitalized under her watch... all of which is chicken feed compared to the failure of Justice League.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 am Part of the reason I ask is because I came across this and thought it was very well done.
What i found intresting was that,after her talk with Spidey right there,she next managed to talk THE PHOENIX into leaving the reality to permanently stay in the White Room...i love Petey Parker and his motivational speeches... :D

Me being nosey and all,what's your plan with Hope?Are you gonna star recruitment for your own game?!can i make someone for it?!.....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:21 pm Nice doesn’t make up for the millions of dollars lost on Justice League. The flick had a reported “break even” cost of $750 million — $300 million budget (but went over-budget) re-shoots, distribution, marketing, etc. — and the film grossed $230 million in the United States and Canada, and $420 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $650 million.

Then there’s in incalculable damage done to these character’s brands by their movie flopping. Warner Bros. has decided to continue the DCEU project, but you know that they’ve got to be downgrading their expectations.

DC Comics’ properties have done well on television under her watch; the straight-to-video animated films have continued to do well under her watch; and the comic books themselves have been revitalized under her watch... all of which is chicken feed compared to the failure of Justice League.
Even South Park was scoring off of DC's inability to franchise 1/20th as well as Marvel's doing even low-tier projects. Like, it's become a public joke.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:21 pm Nice doesn’t make up for the millions of dollars lost on Justice League. The flick had a reported “break even” cost of $750 million — $300 million budget (but went over-budget) re-shoots, distribution, marketing, etc. — and the film grossed $230 million in the United States and Canada, and $420 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $650 million.

Well, the New 52 happened under her watch. Since 2011, there have been exactly two straight-to-video that I could be bothered to spend time or money on (3 if one counts the Scooby Doo/Batman Brave and the Bold Team-Up. Speaking of which Batman Brave and the Bold ended under her watch. Wonder Woman and Justice League are the only DCEU films I liked. (Although I did like the Green Lantern film, which was under her watch).

Which basically means that when DC decided that they really didn't want my money anymore, she was the top dog.

I'm actually kind of glad she's out. At least until I see who gets named as her replacement.

bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Not really her fault. Blame rests on the executives at Warner Bros like president Greg Silverman (and his successor, Toby Emmerich), WB Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov (who was the guy who gave Nelson her marching orders until he left in 2013, and was responsible for the big picture guiding of DC Comics and its Entertainment policies, with input from Joel Silver, Charles Roven [the guy who brought Synder on board in the first place], and Akiva Goldman) and CEO Kevin Tsujihara, who essentially let Snyder do whatever he wanted and blocked any attempt to course correct for a number of really, really stupid, greedy, and prideful reasons. There's not much you can do when the top level is controlling and forcing things to go in certain directions in order to project the "image" of strength and to protect corporate bonuses. Nelson was a scapegoat, pure and simple, and the real villains of the DCEU fiasco are still around, apart from Robinov (who in many ways did the most damage out of all of them).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yeah, expecting blame to fall on whom it belongs in the corporate world. It's a fantasy.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

She’s falling on her sword, taking her golden parachute, and will be back to work somewhere in the industry with the same essential duties (minus the “public face” role) by the end of next fiscal year.

Don’t shed too many tears.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Ares wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 am Part of the reason I ask is because I came across this and thought it was very well done.
What i found intresting was that,after her talk with Spidey right there,she next managed to talk THE PHOENIX into leaving the reality to permanently stay in the White Room...i love Petey Parker and his motivational speeches... :D

Me being nosey and all,what's your plan with Hope?Are you gonna star recruitment for your own game?!can i make someone for it?!.....
I'm not looking to run a game per-say. I've been dabbling with the idea of setting up a little Writing Tournament here, something that use to happen very infrequently on another board I use to go to, and where I met Jab, Kreu and HJ. It's still in the "should I give it a shot" phase, but if I decide to go with it, it'll be posted up in the The Writing Room.