What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Batgirl III

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm Look's like Marvel finally got their head out of the SJW's butts and gave us something NICE for a change....
I try to avoid Tumblr and Twitter as much as possible. Has the Perpetual Outrage Crowd started shouting about “heteronormativity” yet?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm Look's like Marvel finally got their head out of the SJW's butts and gave us something NICE for a change....
I try to avoid Tumblr and Twitter as much as possible. Has the Perpetual Outrage Crowd started shouting about “heteronormativity” yet?
Which is basically like shouting that "the sky is blue!" and "grass is green!"
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:08 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 pm
Which is basically like shouting that "the sky is blue!" and "grass is green!"
That is FAR too much objectivity for today's post-modern society. You're excluding people who feel that the sky is magenta and the grass is Bernie Sanders. And their feelings need to be respected.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve been joking since the start of the 2016 Democratic Primaries that I wish I knew how to grow my own marijuana strain. I’d call it “Burny Sanders”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:04 pm I’ve been joking since the start of the 2016 Democratic Primaries that I wish I knew how to grow my own marijuana strain. I’d call it “Burny Sanders”
Except that marijuana growing tends to turn a profit, as I understand.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I legitimately understand when people say they want more representation in media. As a straight white male, I'm about 35% of the target audience for anything, I've never had a moment where I looked on TV and didn't see someone with at least some of my surface traits, nor was I ever really ostracized for any surface traits that weren't beyond my control (like my weight when I was younger). Even still, I've never really had a problem liking characters like Static, Icon, Shang Chi, Kamen Rider Kuuga, Wuji Chang, along with guys like Captain Marvel, Captain America, Spider-Man and Iron Fist, because I care about things like personality more than if we've got the same melanin count.

But complaining about "heteronormativity" when we're a sexual diamorphic species that reproduces via, you know, sex and of whom something like 97% are heterosexual, is just stupid. It's literally something we need to keep doing as a species to survive and a factual aspect of existence. It's literally like complaining that we get all of our light and heat from the Sun and not from little glow spheres that hover around us while playing our favorite music. Or complaining that water is wet and doesn't taste like chicken fingers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And on a similar note:

"My biggest passion is always going to be how we can make Marvel a gender-neutral brand." -Sana Amanat

L-Space

Post by L-Space »

[DC cancels Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil reprint.

I'm actually a bit surprised by this decision. Don't get me wrong those caricatures are really cringe worthy, but so were some of the old Looney Tunes cartoons and WB handled that perfectly with an opening disclaimer:
Not sure why they couldn't do something similar for this and other older comics.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Criminal, even Archie Comics feature old stories with those stereotypes, using a similar disclaimer.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, let me check out this article and-
While the historically-minded will no doubt be disappointed in DC’s decision to can the collection, it’s reasonable to argue that such arcs containing controversial material have no business being lavishly reproduced today.
No. NO. NO! NO, it is most certainly NOT reasonable to argue that. That argument could effectively be used to selectively prevent any book from being reprinted .

The Monster Society of Evil is a touchstone in comic book history, involving the first multi-part story, the first time a group of villains teamed up to take on a single hero (and possibly the first supervillain team up ever), and is one of the high marks of Golden Age comics.

This is clear virtue signalling on DC's part. And a more cynical part of me thinks that if they released that book and people got a chance to compare some of the fun of the classic Captain Marvel stuff with what the Nu-Shazam movie is shaping up to be, the movie will look even worse by comparison.

*sigh* I was in a good mood, too.

Ken

Post by Ken »

It's not the first time DC has said they were going to reprint the Monster Society epic, and not the first time they cancelled it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And consequently, not the first time they've done something stupid repeatedly, given the middle finger to the Marvel Family or ticked me off. So it goes.

I mean, I can still purchase the Max Fleischer Superman animated shorts, and they're full of the exact same stereotypes.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So, I found an image for the Shazam series that DC is launching in November, which will be written by Geoff Johns. The guy that broke the Marvel Family way back when he decided it was better to promote their villain over the Billy, Mary and Freddy, and then double broke them with the Nu-52.

I like the artist they got, but I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Marvel Family. I can appreciate the intent of the image tho, the idea of the Marvel Family in their powered forms on some magical roller coaster. The artist doesn't really capture that to me tho. I don't know what it is, but it seems too stiff.

But while I can enjoy what they're trying to go for, and like the artist for other projects, I pretty much hate this image. The idea that DC is determined to stick with this version of the characters, the art just emphasizes how much I can't stand the new costumes, and I really just do not like this rendition of the Marvel Family with the sole exception of Mary. Billy is a dick, Freddy is a jackass, and the other three kids have no actual character.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The best recent treatments of Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family of the last decade or so have been:

Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil TPB/graphic novel by Jeff Smith;

Part 5 of Grant Morrison's Multiversity, "Thunderworld Adventures; and

Astro City 43, by Kurt Busiek, detailing the adventures of The Gentleman and his daughter Matilda Armstrong

Those are the three I've read; also supposedly the Shazam! The Power of Hope, by Alex Ross and Paul Dini did service to the character.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm The best recent treatments of Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family of the last decade or so have been:

Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil TPB/graphic novel by Jeff Smith;

Part 5 of Grant Morrison's Multiversity, "Thunderworld Adventures; and

Astro City 43, by Kurt Busiek, detailing the adventures of The Gentleman and his daughter Matilda Armstrong

Those are the three I've read; also supposedly the Shazam! The Power of Hope, by Alex Ross and Paul Dini did service to the character.

All my best.
The Jeff Smith book was kind of hit and miss for me. Some good ideas, but I ultimately preferred the Johnny DC: Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam series that followed it.

I'd also add Convergence: Shazam (which was done expertly by the guys who did DC's Future Quest line), First Thunder (a decent first team-up between Superman and Cap), the Scooby-Doo/Shazam crossover, and Alex Ross and Jim Kreuger's JUSTICE series (which did a solid job of showing how Cap can fit in with the rest of the DCU).

His animated appearances outside of Justice League Action, Justice League: War and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis were all generally good as well.