What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
BriarThrone

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:44 am Northern Ireland in the 1970s is a far cry from Hoboken, New Jersey in 2018... But there's actually a fair few Northern Irish films -- as in they are about Northern Ireland, were made in Northern Ireland, star mostly Northern Irish talent, and mostly have Northen Irish behind the camera crews -- that have absolutely nothing to do with "The Troubles." Just off the top of my head there's With or Without You (about a married couple trying to have children), Mad About Mambo (where a teenage boy decides to learn samba dancing to get better at playing football), Cherrybomb (a teenage sex-party-rave dramedy), Battle of the Bone (a zombie flick), and Best (a biopic about soccer star George Best). I'll confess to not knowing anything about Northern Ireland's comic book industry. Hell, I couldn't even say for certain if they have one. I mean, I assume they must have something, but I don't know... So I'm afraid that films are the closest comparison I can make.
None of these movies were set during the Troubles, let alone the height of them. There is more to North Ireland than the Troubles. Setting things in North Ireland and not mentioning the Troubles is fine. Obviously. Trying to depict what North Irish life was like during the Troubles while omitting the Troubles is either ignorant or agenda-driven. To make a more pointed example, it's like setting a piece in 1943 Germany without mentioning that there was a bit of a war goong on. Again, I specifically mentioned time frame, so I'm not sure why you're being dishonest here.
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:44 amI very much doubt the creative team behind Ms. Marvel has said they want to make a comic book about the subject of al-Wahhābiya terrorism, radicalization of American-born Muslims, or other such issues. I'm willing to bet all they've ever said is that they want to make a superhero book where the Muslim lead character deals with the standard comic book tropes of balancing a normal life with being a superhero with the twist that she's a Muslim daughter of immigrant parents. Which, let's be clear, is a perfectly normal thing in this day and age. The suburb where I went to high school has a population that's around 30% Arab, mostly Chaldean Catholics but a not insignificant number of Iraqi and Kuwaiti Muslims were their too. (The Muslim community was centered around Dearborn, the Chaldeans around Warren, we were kinda in the middle.) My graduating class had fifteen Muslims and thirty Chaldeans, out of 100 kids.)
If I said I wanted to represent Martians in comic books so that they see themselves in that medium, and to inform the rest of the audience what the experience of being a young Martian is like, and the comic I create has a grayish-green spoiled, self-indulgent Portland Progressive who goes on madcap adventures and worries about what the human children think of xhu, but carefully omits any reference to xhu's odd and frowned-upon feeding requirements, what it's like growing up in a society where no one even understands xhu's species' mating practices, or how glad xhu is to have escaped before becoming involved in the horrific war enveloping all of Syrtis Major Planum... that is good news for people who like madcap adventures, but have I accomplished my stated goal of informing people what the Martian immigrant experience is really like? Or have I maybe misrepresented it? Might said misrepresentation have something to do with my position on Martian immigration?
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:44 amJemaah Islamiyah, or rather al-Jamāʿah al-Islāmiyyah [but that's much harder to type on my phone], is an extremist al-Wahhābiya terrorist group active across Southeast Asia. The Bali nightclub bombing of October 2002 was when they came to the attention of most Americans. I've mostly dealt with them in the context of investigating piracy and missing ships in the Strait of Malacca between Malaysia and Sumatra. Many, but not all, of the pirates and maritime gangs in the region are associated with Jemaah Islamiyah. I've been involved in two firefights with these guys in the past.)
Yes, I'm aware of what they are. By all means, kick their asses. I'm just not sure how they're relevant to the current discussion. None of the concepts brought up until now concern them.

And no, it was never intended to be that book. Instead, it's the book that replaces the reality of those issues by pretending they don't exist. Actively (according to statents) attempting to persuade the audience that there is no cultural difference beyond the superficial.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am Lord, why did I even bring this up?

You're secretly sadistic. That's why.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am Lord, why did I even bring this up?

You're secretly sadistic. That's why.
I'm leaning more towards Ares being secretly Masochistic,myself.He's repeatedly shot himself in the foot before this... :P
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Do you know the difference between a masochist, a sadist, and a true sadist?

The masochist begs "Hurt me, please!" The sadist says "Sure!" and does it, the true sadist says "No." and doesn't. :lol:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:36 pm Do you know the difference between a masochist, a sadist, and a true sadist?

The masochist begs "Hurt me, please!" The sadist says "Sure!" and does it, the true sadist says "No." and doesn't. :lol:
.....your not wrong.Which one you think Ares is then,as he's the one that seem's to pull a "Pandora" and open's the box....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That's between Ares and Aphrodite... Well, sometimes its between Ares and Aerope, or between Ares and Aglauros, or between Ares and Calliope, or between Ares and Demonice, or Ares and Anchiroe, or Ares and Phylonome, or Ares and Tanagra, or Ares and... Wow. Those Olympians really get around.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

they should just quit Vulcan around.

....that was Roman, yeah. I'll show myself out,
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 pm they should just quit Vulcan around.

....that was Roman, yeah. I'll show myself out,
You might need to take a Trek down the Rhodes of life to check for a better joke.

.....Live long&Prosper,dude! :lol: \\//
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I must be some kind of masochist given I run this place voluntarily. :P

In legit good comic news, over in Amazing Spider-Man:

Okay, Marvel? You have one job now: do not screw this up. I will forgive you . . . . . 90% of everything you've done in the last 4 years (no forgiving Hydra Cap and Civil War 2, sorry), but you get a mostly clean slate if you just do not screw this up. Okay?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Holy frick- 15 years of terrible Spider-Girlfriends, OVER.

And now we have Mark & Eve all over again. It's like Invincible never ended :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:26 am Holy frick- 15 years of terrible Spider-Girlfriends, OVER.

And now we have Mark & Eve all over again. It's like Invincible never ended :).
To be fair, Peter and MJ are way less screwed up than Mark and Eve are. And yes, even with all of the crap Peter and MJ have endured over the years, I stand by that. Mark and Eve somehow managed at least as much messed up in a much shorter timespan.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Okay, DC... Ball’s in your court now. You gave Clark his pants back, you made Diana nice again. Now, go ahead and let Kate and Maggie get married and stop making Billy a bro.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:42 pm Okay, DC... and stop making Billy a bro.
Wait, you expect DC to get rid of their Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods records?!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Look's like Marvel finally got their head out of the SJW's butts and gave us something NICE for a change....

Marvel,if you mess this up with Political BS,i swear to Odin i'll come to your Offices loaded down with jerry can's of Gasoline,my pockets full of matches , and packing a Blowtorch.....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm Look's like Marvel finally got their head out of the SJW's butts and gave us something NICE for a change....

Marvel,if you mess this up with Political BS,i swear to Odin i'll come to your Offices loaded down with jerry can's of Gasoline,my pockets full of matches , and packing a Blowtorch.....
Now now, we don't encourage that kind of violent hyperbole around here.

*hefts his chainsaw and his backpack full of C4 and electric cattle prods*

Besides, I was here first.