What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares »

Thinking about making Jab's DA stuff a banable offense.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 am Thinking about making Jab's DA stuff a banable offense.
Sounds like SOMEONE wants to have a picture drawn of him kissing Jeph Loeb...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Sounds like someone wants all of their MILF pics in their thread replaced with pictures of Sarah Jessica Parker.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 am Sounds like someone wants all of their MILF pics in their thread replaced with pictures of Sarah Jessica Parker.
You're worse than Fildrigar :(.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:30 am
BriarThrone wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 am Desire.. to spam thread... with my DeviantArt gallery... increasing....
Threats mean nothing to me!
YOU ASKED FOR IT

ImageImage
Why does that guy have a bra??
Shock

Post by Shock »

You guys are killing me

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:42 am
Ares wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 am Sounds like someone wants all of their MILF pics in their thread replaced with pictures of Sarah Jessica Parker.
You're worse than Fildrigar :(.
Am not. You can tell by how you're still posting and no shit flipping has occurred.

Still, Cartman had a point, those tears DO taste good.

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I think my favorite part is how my "wife" doesn't want me sending flowers. Isn't that supposed to be sweet?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThrone wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 am I think my favorite part is how my "wife" doesn't want me sending flowers. Isn't that supposed to be sweet?
Russians think flowers are for wimps. She wanted the beating hearts of your enemies.

Back on topic: She-Hulk is hot, and y'all have no taste :P.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 am
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 am I think my favorite part is how my "wife" doesn't want me sending flowers. Isn't that supposed to be sweet?
Russians think flowers are for wimps. She wanted the beating hearts of your enemies.

Back on topic: She-Hulk is hot, and y'all have no taste :P.
She-Hulk IS hot, for sure. It's just that that's not She-Hulk on that cover. Jen got some new Hulk form. I'm calling it Mega-Butch.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, Jane-Thor apparently died, and Mjolnir was broken as well, which is going to necessitate Thor getting the golden arm and golden hammer as replacements.

Jane' death is a weird thing for me, because . . . well, I didn't really like her as Thor. Not because I'm against the idea of a lady wielding Thor's hammer for a time, but because of how everyone around Jane had to be re-written in order to make her look better, rather than just letting her exist as a hero on her own.

Thor had to be made "unworthy" and renamed "The Odinson" despite Thor being, you know, his name. Odin was written as a borderline insane misogynist, despite him letting Sif reign as regent of Asgard in his absence and having an elite group of warrior women, not to mention that he was willing to make Jane a goddess to make her and Thor happy. All of Asgard became "Asgardia" to turn it into some weird Marvel version of Themyscira. Absorbing Man and Titania were written basically for Jane's equivalent of that whole "Ask me about my feminist agenda" bit. Mjolnir was turned sentient and liked Jane more so that she could master it in ways Thor supposedly never could.

She basically couldn't just walk into the Thor mythos and be a hero, the mythos had to be re-written for her.

If they had decided to give HER a golden hammer or some new weapon and keep her around, I wouldn't really have minded. But I seriously want Thor to get his arm and his hammer back.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

The biggest issue I had with Thor and Wolverine was Marvel's cowardice. They had no confidence that Jane Foster as an avatar of the Norse Thunder god or Laura Kinney of having their own identity and their own books that they had to give them the names of more popular characters.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 am The biggest issue I had with Thor and Wolverine was Marvel's cowardice. They had no confidence that Jane Foster as an avatar of the Norse Thunder god or Laura Kinney of having their own identity and their own books that they had to give them the names of more popular characters.
That's something I figure comes from the higher ups being corporate people and not creators. A salesperson will look at "Wolverine" and see a brand name, and that anyone they slap the Wolverine name and costume on is Wolverine. It's all about maintaining the brand.

Creators and fans know that Wolverine isn't a brand, Wolverine is a character with a unique personality, backstory, powers, etc. We like Wolverine the character, and just slapping the Wolverine name on someone is not going to make us like them.

It's worse when you take one established hero and replace them with another established hero, because instead of adding to the universe, you're taking away someone to replace them with someone else in the name of representation. Amadeus Cho, X-23, the Falcon, these were all people with their own personalities and identities, and just putting them in someone else's costume basically says "We want more representation, but we don't trust these characters to sell on their own, so we'll give them a more popular character's identity to be safe". This is especially bad timing with the Falcon, as the movies are making Sam more popular than he's ever been. It's especially bad when they double down on it and do things like call Kate Bishop "The REAL Hawkeye" or act like Carol Danver's career and costume as Ms. Marvel was something they need to atone for.

It's also very rare for the replacement hero to become more popular than the hero they're replacing, which is why they often get spun off into their own identity. They get popular enough to have a fanbase, but you don't want to piss off the larger fanbase of the other character.

Wally West replacing Barry Allen is pretty much the only unqualified success I can think of, as even fans of Barry will acknowledge that Wally was a great character that came after him, though I do still like Barry. Other popular characters like Jaime Reyes, Kyle Rayner, Miles Morales and the like are popular characters, but there's also an existing fanbase that loves Ted, Hal and Peter just as much and didn't want to see them replaced. And then you've got people like Riri Williams who are pretty much despised.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Wally West worked simply because the character itself was established decades before they replaced Allen with him.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

My basic problem with the "Replacement Theory"(as i'm want to call it) is that it's usually politically motivated or someone's trying to shove an agenda down our throats.
It's not that i don't mind the new characters,though.Far from it,in fact!i just think it would've been better served to give them a limited series first,kind of "test the waters",so-to-speak.That way,if they weren't popular(as is the case with poor Riri Williams.Now that's an SJW character if ever i saw one),they could be shuffled off into "supporting cast limbo" an another idea tried out.