What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
HalloweenJack

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by HalloweenJack »

to me Jess looks like she's gritting her teeth and going into battle, not smiling
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s because you know how to read a comic book (and aren’t looking for an excuse to be offended).
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm Know what this reminds me of?

That Spiderwoman cover debacle a few years ago. Man was THAT insane.

I had a girl I knew and had worked with lose her shit on me for not seeing any problem with the cover. I mean just LOST her shit. I'd explain my POV and there'd be accusations that I was being condescending. I said that yeah it wasn't the best drawn cover in the world, but I've got no problem with a character who gives off pheromones as one of her powers being drawn in a 'sexy' action/wall crawl pose. It wasn't a big deal to me and I got "because you have man parts!". This coming from a lady who, no joke, a few days earlier was going on about how she was more than her genitals. But I'm not I guess.

Then came the hilarity of Twitter and the "you'll never see SPIDER-MAN in a pose like that!". Cue pictures of Spidey in a similar pose. Cue people who posted those pictures being suddenly unable to post in that again.
You know what i say to people who act that way to me 'bout the "Offensiveness" of my hobby HJ.I garantee(?) it'll work everytime......
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

you say image? :D

I mean I'm not sure that will help. Well maybe modern stuff but in the 90s they'd be offended by Savage Dragon, Gen 13, etc
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 pm you say image? :D

I mean I'm not sure that will help. Well maybe modern stuff but in the 90s they'd be offended by Savage Dragon, Gen 13, etc
I'm trying to type a meme address out,but failing miserably at it as usual :cry: ....It's a Ted meme of him saying he reall doesn't care,in case your wondering.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm trying to type a meme address out,but failing miserably at it as usual :cry: ....It's a Ted meme of him saying he reall doesn't care,in case your wondering.

....I don't recall a comic called Ted from Image :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You may not be interested in the gleichschaltung, but the gleichschaltung is interested in you. You will be made to care. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 pm You may not be interested in the gleichschaltung, but the gleichschaltung is interested in you. You will be made to care. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Gesundheit!

But yes, this is how it works these days.
Have a penis and disagree with them? You're a misogynist homophobic transphobic buzzword buzzword patriarchal buzzword oppressor.
Have a vagina and disagree with them? You've internalized misogyny and are a tool of the misogynist homophobic transphobic buzzword buzzword patriarchy that's oppressing you.
Their ideology is one where disagreement cannot be tolerated. It's be them or be against them.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 pm

....I don't recall a comic called Ted from Image :D
Har-de-har-har...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Their ideology is one where disagreement cannot be tolerated. It's be them or be against them.
And you must be with them in exactly the right way; any deviation from the approved way of thinking is met with vigorous denunciation and shunning.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm
And you must be with them in exactly the right way; any deviation from the approved way of thinking is met with vigorous denunciation and shunning.

or to put it another way

SHAME!

*ding ding*

SHAME!

*ding ding*

SHAAAAAAAME!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And I just found out that Kitty Pryde decided NOT to go through with her marriage to Colossus, and instead Gambit and Rogue got married instead.

Its funny, but now the comic feels like one of those posters where if you stare at it long enough you see something? Because the more I look at this, the more it looks like Marvel giving me the middle finger.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“We need more diversity in comics!”

“Okay, well, over here in our C-List Batwoman title, we two D-List creators have taken a supporting character who’s been an open lesbian since the Eighties, paired her up romantically with the openly bisexual lead, and managed to turn a story about bad guys who worship crime and make werewolves into a critical darling and NYT best seller.”

“Go on...”

“We’d like to have the heroine marry her fiancée.”

“Eww! They’ll get cooties on everything. You’re fired!”

Based on a true story.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I remember that. Dan DiDio went on a tirade about how it was wrong for superheroes to be married and happy, making it almost a declaration of war against the notion of marriage.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 05441.html
Heroes shouldn’t have happy personal lives. They are committed to being that person and committed to defending others at the sacrifice of their own personal interests.

That’s very important and something we reinforced. People in the Bat family their personal lives basically suck. Dick Grayson, rest in peace—oops shouldn’t have said that,—Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon and Kathy Kane. It’s wonderful that they try to establish personal lives, but it’s equally important that they set them aside. That is our mandate, that is our edict and that is our stand.
This was the guy in charge of DC through what became some of it's worst times ever. This was the guy who called Countdown to Final Crisis "52 done right". This was the guy who nearly killed Nightwing and had a hand in destroying the survivors of Crisis on Infinite Earths, as well as killing the Marvel Family.

Fuck this guy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I stopped buying DC Comics when it happened. Cancelled my entire pull list. I have not resumed.