What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares »

Steve Rogers has quit as Captain America again in latest Marvel comic
Captain America has laid down his shield in the latest Marvel comic, as Steve Rogers leaves his role once again.

In the newest issue of the current Captain America comic series, the superhero becomes a prime suspect in the death of Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross.

However, as he surrenders to authorities in Captain America #7, Rogers decides to leave behind his identity as the Avenger in defiance.

"How can I claim to serve my country when I constantly oppose it?" he declares. "How can I carry this shield and fight the government that entrusted me with it?

"Freedom. Democracy. The right of people to choose. This is the world they’ve chosen. This is the world they wanted."

Rogers previously quit the role of Captain America on a number of occasions, notably back in the 1970s and 1980s.

The first time was in 1974, with the storyline written in response to the Watergate scandal in the US, and there may be some significance and echoes in the current storyline and the political climate in the US now.

Meanwhile, amid speculation that Avengers: Endgame could be Rogers' last outing as Captain America, we've speculated as to how the movie could give him a happy ending.

Captain America #7 is available to buy now.
"How can I claim to serve my country when I constantly oppose it?"

:roll:

The "Captain America quits" bit at this point is actually more over-done than the "Peter Parker walks away from his costume" thing. It's a story told before by better writers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm Steve Rogers has quit as Captain America again in latest Marvel comic
Captain America has laid down his shield in the latest Marvel comic, as Steve Rogers leaves his role once again.

In the newest issue of the current Captain America comic series, the superhero becomes a prime suspect in the death of Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross.

However, as he surrenders to authorities in Captain America #7, Rogers decides to leave behind his identity as the Avenger in defiance.

"How can I claim to serve my country when I constantly oppose it?" he declares. "How can I carry this shield and fight the government that entrusted me with it?

"Freedom. Democracy. The right of people to choose. This is the world they’ve chosen. This is the world they wanted."

Rogers previously quit the role of Captain America on a number of occasions, notably back in the 1970s and 1980s.

The first time was in 1974, with the storyline written in response to the Watergate scandal in the US, and there may be some significance and echoes in the current storyline and the political climate in the US now.

Meanwhile, amid speculation that Avengers: Endgame could be Rogers' last outing as Captain America, we've speculated as to how the movie could give him a happy ending.

Captain America #7 is available to buy now.
"How can I claim to serve my country when I constantly oppose it?"

:roll:

The "Captain America quits" bit at this point is actually more over-done than the "Peter Parker walks away from his costume" thing. It's a story told before by better writers.
By far better writers. At times Steve tells at odds with the current social or political issues of the USA, he should stand fight what he feels those injustices are. That is the idea of Captain America..to fight for the very idea of the USA. they ate missing a opportunity to correct the horrid Hydra Cap and ate failing at it miserably.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, while not exactly new, I was doing a little reading up on the Savage Land, and came across this in an issue of Squirrel Girl:

I fucking HATE Squirrel Girl.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It also looks like DC and Hana-Barbera are no longer going to be doing team-up books. Which I understand, DC had been doing books that were just bizarre, but it also likely means no more Future Quest books, which is a shame because those were some of the most fun comics I'd read in forever.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:14 am It also looks like DC and Hana-Barbera are no longer going to be doing team-up books. Which I understand, DC had been doing books that were just bizarre, but it also likely means no more Future Quest books, which is a shame because those were some of the most fun comics I'd read in forever.
I'm kind of sad because I really dig Scooby-Do Team-Up.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Post by Ken »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am
Ares wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:14 am It also looks like DC and Hana-Barbera are no longer going to be doing team-up books. Which I understand, DC had been doing books that were just bizarre, but it also likely means no more Future Quest books, which is a shame because those were some of the most fun comics I'd read in forever.
I'm kind of sad because I really dig Scooby-Do Team-Up.
Me too.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

The more I see, the more I hear, the more I'm coming to the sad realization that Comics as a medium are dead.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

You know, this is a bit behind the times, but I didn't realize until today that J. Jonah Jameson actually knew who Spider-Man was. Peter had revealed his ID to Jonah during a very emotional moment, and in the following stories we got some real, genuine character growth from both of them, Jonah especially. Like, seeing Jonah actively trying to help Peter out, realizing why Peter did what he did,now calling Peter things like "My boy" and "Son" adds an awesome new dimension to their relationship.

The time travel story where Jonah goes back and talks to his past self, and we see how much Jonah has changed. Modern Jonah never considers revealing Peter's ID to the world, while past Jonah had the story written up, but hadn't published it yet. And it's Jonah's screw up that reveals Peter's ID to Osborn, where you can see Jonah realize what he's done. "Please, he's just a boy." Not to mention the time Jonah sees past Peter without his mask for the first time, and realizes again just how young Peter was when he started, and retroactively realizes what he did to a kid all those years ago.

Giving Peter a sister was stupid, but everything else was pretty great.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Damn, am *I* behind the times. I was thinking of picking up Ryan Ottley's Spider-Man run in the trades, but never got around to it. PETER HAS A SISTER?!? And JJ knows who he is? WEIRD.
Davies

Post by Davies »

So Conan is guest-starring in Avengers: No Road Home.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Yeah, read that earlier I liked it.

Also Immortal Hulk was pretty decent.

It's almost like for all the shitty books out there, there's good ones too!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It feels like the ratio of shitty to good is 10 to 1, but there's a few gems buried underneath all the turds.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm So Conan is guest-starring in Avengers: No Road Home.
Huh. I thought they lost the Conan rights to Dark Horse, and that Dynamite currently has the rights to Red Sonja.

Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 am
Davies wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm So Conan is guest-starring in Avengers: No Road Home.
Huh. I thought they lost the Conan rights to Dark Horse, and that Dynamite currently has the rights to Red Sonja.
Where I'd heard that they got them back -- as Dark Horse is really not doing very well these days -- but was expecting any series featuring him to be as siloed from the MU as their Star Wars books are.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 am
Ares wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 am
Where I'd heard that they got them back -- as Dark Horse is really not doing very well these days -- but was expecting any series featuring him to be as siloed from the MU as their Star Wars books are.
It is kind of funny that it took this long for an official Conan crossover with the Marvel Universe. Red Sonja had a crossover with Spider-Man as early as the late 70s. Aside from a few What Ifs, Conan never really got to interact with other Marvel heroes, at least as far as I know.