The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ken

Re: The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

Post by Ken » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:25 am

Ares wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:06 pm
Cause if you're going to call yourself Captain Marvel, you should look the part.
So Carol should be dressed like the lady next to Spider-Woman?

W: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.

PP: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.

W: So your work has not changed.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am

Ken wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:25 am
Ares wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:06 pm
Cause if you're going to call yourself Captain Marvel, you should look the part.
So Carol should be dressed like the lady next to Spider-Woman?

Heck, Zachary Levi should be dressed more like the lady next to Spider-Woman.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:26 pm

That recent post I made on the Marvel Family reminded me of something else.

I'd do a Mortal Kombat/DCU vs Injustice special, based on the two games Netherrealm has done starring the DC Heroes. Basically, during the events of Justice League vs Mortal Kombat where the heroes are teaming up at the end, Injustice Superman decides to invade this merged universe since it could potentially allow him easier access to conquer other universes. The MK and DC heroes then team up against the Injustice heroes-turned-villains, we get some nice fights, and I'd have the MKvsDC version of Captain Marvel be the one to take down Injustice Superman. Basically have a long drawn out battle against this Superman that's trying to kill him, even trying the things that killed the Injustice Shazam, and showcase why that was stupid, and have Cap win fair and square.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 am

I would have batman go out in public and people just laugh at him and his fake rubber muscles. He would try his scarey gravelly vouce and people would laugh out loud "dude, you are dressed like a big rubber bat" meanwhile Punisher is getting high fives for looking cool and a little badass.
Collosus would stay human and beat on Magneto with a wooden baseball bat. He was always the hero who was never quite good enough to beat anybody.
He-man would come out. See "society of virtue" on he-man.
Someone would get Bruce Banner really stoned then kick him in the nuts.
Someone would string up some Pianowire in Kidflash's neighbourhood to see what happens when you hit it at mach20.
Lois Lane would die in childbirth for being dumb and annoying.
Charles Xavier would go mad from being in people's minds all the time. In a crossover J'onn would give him an asswhupping.
Raven/mystique gets an STD and all the people she had sex with (not realising she was not their loved one) have to be informed. Heh heh heh.
Kingpin has a heart attack and a stroke.
Thor learns to do something normal and stop speaking like a shakespearian actor.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 am

Ares wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm
RainOnTheSun wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 pm
I'd give the Fantastic Four a clean win over the Hulk, too. Not a "Reed Richards makes a magic machine that saves the day" win, an actual combat win where all four members play an important part.
In that vein, I'd probably give the Thing an actual solo win over the Hulk, making it clear that the apparent strength gap between the two that's happened in recent years has mostly been psychological on Ben's part. The Hulk was one of the first guys after Ben gained super-strength that managed to defeat him, even though the fight itself was an epic-book long battle that Ben only barely lost. The next fight was very similar, but then they had a fight where Ben was only able to win with Sue's help. After that point, Ben basically resigned himself to the fact that the Hulk would win in a straight fight, and since then their battles have primarily been Ben trying to stall the Hulk until help arrives rather than trying to actually beat him.

Here, I'd make it clear to Ben that no help is coming, and that the Hulk has to be stopped, so that for the first time in forever, he fights the Hulk with literally everything he has got.
Grey hulk is also way smarter and just out-thunk him despite being less strong. It is clear you feel about ol'blue eyes the way I feel about Colossus, never really getting a chance to shine.
As for the fantastic 4 beating hulk, Reed Richards regularly ties up the Thing in his elastic arms. Have wonder girl do her force bubble in the brain trick and jobs done. I don't know if the hulk can be knocked out. His power seems to be "I can take what you can dish out +1"
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm not sure this would count as petty or not, but over in Jab's thread I just had this idea, so I'm putting it here as well.
Ares wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Shock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm
Funny thing about "it was a skull": Bobbi was actually shown multiple times to be in Hell during the time when she was dead. Both she and Patsy Walker were in the Arena of Tainted Souls forced to fight continuously. Hawkeye and the Thunderbolts went into Hell to try to rescue Bobbi but were tricked by Damien Hellstrom into rescuing Patsy instead.

Then in a Hellcat miniseries, Patsy is back in Hell foiling a Mephisto plot and at the end tries to bring Bobbi back with her but she mysteriously refuses to go saying "I'm here for a reason."
20, even 15 years ago, we would have gotten a story about them bringing Bobbi back, even some explanation to the dangling plot seeds left by other writers. A lot of modern writers can't keep their own continuity straight, they aren't going to care about things like that. The biggest explanation we'd probably get was a hand wave and "Mephisto was f***ing with them".

Frankly, I'd use that as an excuse to retcon most of what's happened with Bobbi as the Phantom Rider messing with her. Turns out it was Bobbi that died way back when and the Phantom Rider brought her body back without her soul, which is in Hell for some reason. Her personality change and attitude are a result of the Rider trying to make her more of his ideal woman, which is why the current Bobby thinks she willingly cheated on Clint rather than was raped.

I might even take it a step further and use this as an explanation for why Clint has sucked since Bobbi has returned. The Phantom Rider needed a powerful force to bring Bobbi's body back to life, but he himself didn't have the raw emotion for it. Clint tho? Clint was still in love with her, still missed her terribly, and his emotions always ran strong. So the Phantom rider basically has been siphoning off Clint's emotional and spiritual energy to power the spell keeping Bobbi alive. It's why Clint is such a screw up these days, it's why he's suddenly someone who cheats on the women in his life, it's why he's much less "in your face" and confident than he use to be. A good chunk of his soul is being used to power Bobbi's corpse and it's slowly killing him. It's also why Clint no longer wears his old outfit: he subconsciously feels unworthy of it.

Naturally this revelation would lead Clint and Bobbi on a quest into Hell to get her soul back, some hashing out of their issues, and we learn that Bobbi has been in Hell doing something important that pays off when they escape. Bobbi and Clint are both restored to who they were, they both wear versions of their classic outfits, and they get re-married at the end of the story in a homage to the original mini-series that got them together.

And if I'm feeling REALLY in the mood, the thing Mockingbird was doing in Hell? She'd learned Mephisto was after something, playing a long game in his quest to eradicate love, and was waiting for the chance to steal this great source of love to power something terrible. What Bobbi eventually sees Mephisto do is steal a source of love from two people that gives him power over time and space. That thing in question? Peter and MJ's marriage.

A few years ago, Bobbi actually managed to steal the contract with Peter and MJ's marriage, which is why Peter and MJ have been getting back together recently. When the heroes return, not only do Clint and Bobbi get back together, but so do Peter and MJ. They also learn that Aunt May would have actually survived the whole contrived convenience, and that was Mephisto having Mysterio pull a fast on them to let Beck earn off some of his time in Hell. And in the end, Peter and MJ rip up the contract together, their marriage is re-established and they have a nice moment where they renew their vows to each other.

This started out as a Clint/Bobbi story, but now I think it'd make a cool Hawkeye/Mockingbird/Spider-Man story, especially since Peter and Bobbi briefly dated. Have the other Avengers help them out, but make it largely about Clint, Bobbi and Peter sticking it to the devil, and giving a middle finger to both Joe Q and Chelsea Cain.

I'd call it "Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Mockingbird: Love Conquers All".

Shock

Post by Shock » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Can we have Patsy as a supporting character, sort of their guide through Hell? Just because I'm a fan of the character and the only thing she's had recently was that awful solo series.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Shock wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm
Can we have Patsy as a supporting character, sort of their guide through Hell? Just because I'm a fan of the character and the only thing she's had recently was that awful solo series.
Sure thing. Make it technically an Avengers story where folks like the main Avengers team, along with Patsy, Dr. Strange, Damian Hellstrom, and a few others are there to help, but the focus characters are Peter, Clint and Bobbi. I could definitely see Patsy being the 4th or 5th most important character, depending on if I decide to have Mary Jane be an active part of this too, maybe with some Iron Man armor or something similar. Make MJ an active participant in getting her marriage back, maybe even have her and Patsy bond over similar things, and have MJ comment that it's nice to have a cat-themed character she can get along with.

Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I would restore the barely-visible silhouetted batpenis to that Black Label issue that everyone went pointlessly apeshit over.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 am

Scots Dragon wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:31 pm
I would restore the barely-visible silhouetted batpenis to that Black Label issue that everyone went pointlessly apeshit over.
"To the bat pole!!"
W: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 am

Ken wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 am
Scots Dragon wrote:
"To the bat pole!!"
Favourite activity of Selina Kyle and Clark Kent alike.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.

saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:02 am

Scots Dragon wrote:
Where as I would add barely visible penis silhouettes to all the panels & have Bruce refer to his penis as his Bat-a-wang. :lol:

That is literally the most dickish thing I could think to do. :lol:

Ken

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm

- I'd explain away why Peter Parker never made a fortune working for DuPont by revealing that while Peter designed and built his web shooters, he did not, in fact, invent web fluid. That rather is produced by a gland in his lower, lower back and that he has to regularly secrete fluid from said gland to put in the cartridges.

This will split the difference between the mechanical web shooters and the biological web shooters. Peter gaining the ability to produce a web line biologically makes sense, but spiders don't shoot webs from their limbs, they exude them from their butts.

- I'll change Mr. Freeze's civilian name BACK to Schimmel. Everything else about Victor Fries I'd keep, but the stupid Fries name is gone.

- I'd give the civilian name "Jervis Tetch" back to the second Mad Hatter (who I've heard is called "Hatman" these days), the red-haired hat collector. I'd keep the original Mad Hatter around too, but give him a new civilian name. I never understood why, when he was revivied in the 1980s why they had to give him the Jervis name, too.

- I'd introduce Bookworm, King Tut, and the Puzzler from the Batman TV show into comic book continuity; Puzzler, just to be killed off. I'd have the Riddle grown a mustache for one story, the one where he kills the Puzzler.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Ken wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm
- I'd explain away why Peter Parker never made a fortune working for DuPont by revealing that while Peter designed and built his web shooters, he did not, in fact, invent web fluid. That rather is produced by a gland in his lower, lower back and that he has to regularly secrete fluid from said gland to put in the cartridges.

This will split the difference between the mechanical web shooters and the biological web shooters. Peter gaining the ability to produce a web line biologically makes sense, but spiders don't shoot webs from their limbs, they exude them from their butts.
I had this same idea! Well, sort of. The idea was that Peter biologically generated the webbing, but the webbing did come from his wrists. There was some spider species that did generate webbing from its feet in order to aid in climbing and other things.

The idea was that without the web shooters, Peter can only "shoot" a strand of webbing a few feet, and beyond that it's main use is to lower himself down from a height. This kind of webbing also tends to bio-degrade fairly quickly depending on what Peter eats and aren't that strong, being mostly able to support double his weight. The web-shooters cartridges Peter designed contain a formula of his design that increases the tensile strength of the web to its "can hold the Hulk" levels, as well as making it last for about an hour. The shooters themselves allow him to control the webbing's range, shape and texture, from sticky globs to nets to hard impact spheres.

I felt the bio-webbing was important because it's one of the more "spider-y" aspects of Peter, and it feels weird that it'd be completely artificial. But I also wanted to keep the Web-Shooters since they're an integral part of his history, and it demonstrates his intelligence.

This is kind of a best of both world's approach, that lets him have innate webbing, but he's still a genius for how he improved his natural ability to the versatility level he does have.