The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
MacynSnow

Re: The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

Post by MacynSnow »

Now, to be fair, Hickman Tried to have a good Avengers run. He just has a bad habit of going for these Grandiose revelations & retcon's when their wasn't a need to...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Marvel Comics needs to just scrap everything they’ve published since, oh, 2008 or so. Make the MCU’s continuity, roster, and characterization into the mainstream ongoing continuity of the comics.

DC Comics... I dunno man. It might be time to just let it all burn. I don’t know if it can be saved.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

At this point I'd just be happy to learn that every thing post the last Secret Wars is a fake reality that was just the final echo of Battleworld.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm At this point I'd just be happy to learn that every thing post the last Secret Wars is a fake reality that was just the final echo of Battleworld.
Agreed.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:49 pm DC Comics... I dunno man. It might be time to just let it all burn. I don’t know if it can be saved.
Ken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 am retcon everything to happened to DC under Didio, except the following 32 comic books: The Brave and the Bold, vol. 3 #1-16; Terra #1-4, and Power Girl vol. 2 #1-12.
And everything since, as well.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
NoOneofConsequence

I have this very petty urge to have it revealed that the post-Secret Empire Captain America is actually a fake, and is in fact a self-loathing racist black man who could only make himself feel better by trying to tear down the real Cap's legacy.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:08 am I have this very petty urge to have it revealed that the post-Secret Empire Captain America is actually a fake, and is in fact a self-loathing racist black man who could only make himself feel better by trying to tear down the real Cap's legacy.
Na-Teshi Khoats?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
NoOneofConsequence

It has occurred to me that, if I were placed in charge of Marvel, it would take every single ounce of my willpower, professionalism, and good sense to not replace Carol Danvers with a new male Captain Marvel, just to have the ads announcing this change have the deliberately inflammatory caption of "Drop The Taco".
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

😂
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
NoOneofConsequence

I think I mentioned before my idea of just rebooting Marvel and having three different lines: Marvel Legacy about the classic characters, Marvel Max for books aimed specifically at adults, and Marvel Now to experiment with new characters and ideas.

Marvel Legacy's flagship would be The Amazing Spider-Man, set during Peter's college years, with a lot of his classic villains and his relationships with MJ, Gwen, Hairy, Liz, and Flash. Like all of the Legacy books, the idea would be to tell fun, exciting, and well crafted (in terms of writing, art, and editing) stories that all work perfectly well as stand alone issues, but with some cliffhangers and ongoing bits that reward regular reading.

The Fantastic Four would be about a family of science adventurer/explorers going out and experiencing amazing things, like lost worlds, alien planets, and alternate dimensions (or even time periods) and making this look like the most amazing career choice ever.

The X-Men would probably have a roster very similar to the one from the time when they launched the second book (the one where Jim Lee did four different covers that all formed one big image), with some additions or shuffling as needed (such as adding Shadowcat and Nightcrawler; the New Mutants showing up as needed). Politics and racism analogs get put on the back burner. This is trying to return to some of the aspects of the pre-Secret Wars/Mutant Massacre X-Men, mainly the idea that they are a family, not a franchise. It's a lot of personal interaction and character bits that happen to take place against the backdrop of facing mutant terrorists, killer robots, and the occasional space alien or the like.

The Mighty Thor is something akin to the first Thor film, in which the character, Asgard and the rest of the lore is treated with a great deal of seriousness and respect. The framework for this is something akin to Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories, which jump all around the character's life, because they were meant to feel like this was an older Conan sitting in a bar reminiscing about weird things that happened to him. So this is Thor thinking back about various adventures he's had over his life, including stuff when he and Loki were kids, adventures with the Warriors Three, team ups with Hercules and other gods, fighting space monsters with Beta Ray Bill, and so on. Hopefully with art that evokes something of Walt Simonson.

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is the Avengers doing stuff only the Avengers can do, facing down potential planetary threats, stopping alien wars, and battling the world's most dangerous super villains. The roster would shift from story to story, likely with Captain America and/or Iron Man being a constant presence, along with the likes of Captain Marvel (Monica), Wasp, Thor, and Hawkeye. The rest would be the team best suited to deal with whatever the threat was.

Luke Cage & Iron Fist is about two guys who come from totally different socio-economic and racial backgrounds, but who are absolute best friends and will go to the mat to help the other no questions asked. Mainly them getting to have street level adventures in NYC. Also the Daughters of the Dragon, and probably appearances from people like White Tiger and El Aquila.

I'd like to have two other titles, but I'm not really sure what they should be. Iron Man and The Hulk both seem like possibilities, but I'm not entirely sure.

(Logan, Daredevil, The Punisher, Deadpool, and Venom would be Marvel Max books; possibly also with something about Black Widow and maybe either Ghost Rider or Son of Satan.)
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

I'd hide a secret symbol in every issue of all the comics between certain dates. Except for one random one in the middle. Then I'd just let people go insane trying to find it saying I don't remember were I hid all the symbols.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 am I'd hide a secret symbol in every issue of all the comics between certain dates. Except for one random one in the middle. Then I'd just let people go insane trying to find it saying I don't remember were I hid all the symbols.
Don Rosa docet.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
NoOneofConsequence

I feel this strange desire to resurrect the old "Forgotten Heroes" moniker and use it for a title focused on Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown as a now happily married 20-something couple who are still heroes, with them frequently teaming up with other fan favorites from the 90s, like Kyle Rayner, Arrowette, Steel, Resurrection Man, and the like.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

In unrelated news, I'd completely scrap everything involving the Eternals since Gaiman rebooted the franchise and basically sucked all the energy and fun out of the characters Jack Kirby created. I hated Gaiman's take on the Eternals, it was just so . . . . BORING. He took a story about these Immortal Cosmic Gods and made it DULL. And it just kills the whole concept of the Eternals being these immortal beings whose abilities are shaped by their personalities, instead of them being designed and maintained by this machine they have to protect. It gets extra stupid when you consider Sprite of the Eternals was a villain because he never aged, but then they reveal that the machine allows Eternals to change their gender, appearance, etc. . . . which means Sprite could have just changed their appearance any time.

So yeah, scrap that crap. If Marvel insists on incorporating the Eternals, then lets have some fun with them. Have some fun with the Eternals, the Deviants, the tragic romance between Thena and Kro, the Eternals figuring out how they feel about humanity, maybe try to establish Eternals on different teams, even introduce a few new ones to add some diversity, make it clear that anyone with the "Superman" powerset of flying brick with laser eyes is some flavor of Eternal, including Hyperion and Gladiator, but that slight differences in how they process energy leave them open to different vulnerabilities.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
NoOneofConsequence

I always figured Gladiator must have been the last member of the Shiar's counterpart to the Eternals, sort of the same way the Skrulls were apparently (at one point) their race's Deviants who managed to win and wipe out the baseline race and Eternals counterpart.
I say last member, as it fits with him being the Superboy expy of the Imperial Guard-as-LSH.

And have I ever mentioned that I'm apparently one of the five people who actually liked The Forgotten One as Gilgamesh during the post-Inferno Avengers?