Marvel Comics Out-Superboy-Primes Superboy Prime

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Marvel Comics Out-Superboy-Primes Superboy Prime

Post by Ares »

So, remember how Dan DiDio turned Superboy Prime into a strawman of the fans complaining about what he did to the DCU?

Marvel did him one better.

Full Sized Image

Yup. Marvel took the words of their critics point for point and put them in the mouths of Mojo. That is what they think of the fans.

And they wonder why their books aren't selling well.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Re: Marvel Comics Out-Superboy-Primes Superboy Prime

Post by BriarThrone »

Misrepresenting a few key points here and there, of course.

The X-Men have always been a diverse team. The "true fans" they're talking about aren't opposed to diversity, in the comics or the fandom. The problem is that the new audience they're seeking doesn't like superhero comics, so they're turning Marvel books into the story of Heroic Minorities vs Those Evil Straight White Assholes, portraying their core audience demographic as evil losers. Also, they're switching out beloved characters with shitty "more diverse" replacents who are way better than the hero they're replacing, ruining the legacy in the process.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

They're naturally going to misrepresent the arguments fans are making, while still making it close enough to the actual argument to make the comparison obvious. Clearly when fans say, "We just want good stories", what they're actually saying is "I hate these new characters because they aren't the ones I grew up with, and because racism/misogyny/patriarchy/heteronorma-blahblahblah".

The "new demographic" line kills me, because it implies that what comics have been doing since around 2014 was meant to appeal to people who hadn't been reading comics before. Thing is, people of both sexes, most races and all orientations had been reading comics for a while now. We didn't retroactively invent Christopher Priest and Louise Simonson writing comics in the 80s, and who got into comics because, you know, they'd been reading them in their younger years.

Marvel. DC. You screwed up. You chased imaginary readers that were never going to come in and you went for the short money instead thinking long term. You pulled an Early 90s #2: Electric Boogaloo. You've just decided to go morally bankrupt as well as financially bankrupt this time around. So instead of blaming the fans for having a brain and critiquing your poor decisions, you just actually try to course correct? Superheroes have probably never been more mainstream and popular than they are now, and you're completely failing to capitalize on it. You should be spending money on advertising, creating gateway books to get new fans interested, and taking medication for your Trump Derangement Syndrome.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Beyond that image, the rest of the comic goes on to basically say that what Mojo really needs in order to stop complaining about the new characters is friends and a girlfriend. So, you know. Throw in "basement dwelling incel" in there too.

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 pm Beyond that image, the rest of the comic goes on to basically say that what Mojo really needs in order to stop complaining about the new characters is friends and a girlfriend. So, you know. Throw in "basement dwelling incel" in there too.
Know what fits in real well with this message? "Stop buying comics, you nerd."
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

At this point, comics from Marvel and DC is dead.