Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
RUSCHE

Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

Post by RUSCHE »

There are many moments in comics of primary or secondary characters growing . One of my personal favorites is when Peter is screaming at how selfish MJ is and is just a party girl. His pain of losing Gwen is raw and he unloads on MJ, she could have left. Instead she walks to the door shuts it and is there for Peter when he was at his lowest since losing Uncle Ben. Only a few panels but is changed her character forever.
Jabroniville

Re: Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

Post by Jabroniville »

RUSCHE wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 am There are many moments in comics of primary or secondary characters growing . One of my personal favorites is when Peter is screaming at how selfish MJ is and is just a party girl. His pain of losing Gwen is raw and he unloads on MJ, she could have left. Instead she walks to the door shuts it and is there for Peter when he was at his lowest since losing Uncle Ben. Only a few panels but is changed her character forever.
Oh yeah, that was a brilliant scene. Instantly turned her from the "fun one" to something more. Hell, you could claim that MJ's entire character is based off of that one scene- Pretty Girl; Tougher Than You Think.

I'm hard-pressed to find simple MOMENTS. It's more casual character growth to me, like how Kitty Pryde went from a spunky teen into a rebellious snarker loudmouth into a legitimate team player with a lot of wisdom despite her age.

I think Wolverine's thing with Mariko was a great moment for him- it immediately softened what was as pretty harsh, grizzled character. Like an "Oh, there's something MORE here" thing.

Great idea for a topic!
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am
RUSCHE wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 am There are many moments in comics of primary or secondary characters growing . One of my personal favorites is when Peter is screaming at how selfish MJ is and is just a party girl. His pain of losing Gwen is raw and he unloads on MJ, she could have left. Instead she walks to the door shuts it and is there for Peter when he was at his lowest since losing Uncle Ben. Only a few panels but is changed her character forever.
Oh yeah, that was a brilliant scene. Instantly turned her from the "fun one" to something more. Hell, you could claim that MJ's entire character is based off of that one scene- Pretty Girl; Tougher Than You Think.

I'm hard-pressed to find simple MOMENTS. It's more casual character growth to me, like how Kitty Pryde went from a spunky teen into a rebellious snarker loudmouth into a legitimate team player with a lot of wisdom despite her age.

I think Wolverine's thing with Mariko was a great moment for him- it immediately softened what was as pretty harsh, grizzled character. Like an "Oh, there's something MORE here" thing.

Great idea for a topic!
Thank you, to me the most natural growth over time would be Dick Grayson, he proved you could evolve a character over time and make it feel natural.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Strangely enough one of the most interesting moments I can think of involves one of the villain I hate the most: the Red Skull. Shortly after Acts of Vengeage the Skull was burried alive inside a old anti-atomic bunker by Magneto, as revenge for the Holocaust. Completely alone, the Skull started experiencing allucinations, where he saw peoples from his past (from Hitler to his own daughter) telling him how stupid and useless he was and the Skull was buying it. When he was on the brink of suicide, the final allucination was Cap and just by the sheer amount of hatred he felt for his old enemy, the Skull pulled himself together for a little longer.
While I'm not sure this might count as character growth, it clearly gave a measure of how frightening was was the hatred of the Skull.

As for positive examples: Oracle, just fraking Oracle.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

@Woodclaw - Hate the Red Skull as in can't stand the character or hate what he stands for? Just curious.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

One of my favorite bits was from the early issues of Iron Fist. See, when Danny first came out, he was a very serious, stoic individual consumed with revenge. He had no sense of humor, he was completely dedicated to avenging his parents, and it was only his truly good nature that would let him briefly ignore his desire for revenge to help out others. But when he finally confronts Harold Mechum, the person who caused the death of his parents, he finds this broken down old man, crippled and mostly mad from paranoia. And Danny just can't bring himself to kill someone who has already suffered so much.

Shortly after, Harold is killed, and Danny has to spend time proving his innocence. After doing so, Danny realizes how much of his life was wasted in the pointless pursuit of revenge. This culminates in him removing his mask for the first time in series, and declaring that it's time to really find out who Danny Rand is, and to start actually living his life.

And from there, Danny would evolve into someone who was more of a Ken Masters/Peter Parker-esque quip maker with a spiritual side, rather than an ultra-serious "I MUST HAVE REVENGE!" type. Which shows how much the creators of "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon" didn't get the character when they focused on the revenge aspect of the character which had only been included specifically to show how revenge is dumb.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am @Woodclaw - Hate the Red Skull as in can't stand the character or hate what he stands for? Just curious.
More what he stand for, but the recent iteractions of the character (getting Xavier brain and whatnot) shifted the bar a lot.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

2 Favorite growth moments for me was during a fight between the Fantastic Four and Dr.Doom. Before the fight,Doom decides to actually stop playing to Reed's strength-Science.Doom finally admitted,even if it was just to himself, that he couldn't outsmart Reed when it came to Scientific stuff.
Then,when Doom had the day won with his use of Magic,Reed beat him at it.But only when Reed himself had to admit he was just as aweful a person as Victor was,just not as controlling...Great moment for both characters overall.