What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
RUSCHE

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by RUSCHE » Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Ares wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:29 pm
So, I haven't been paying attention to the Thor books much since Marvel introduced Jane Foster's Thor, since every time I looked into it I got really mad at the disrespect the current writers gave to the past franchise and the sub-textless propaganda the book was promoting. But apparently JANE FOSTER is now ALL-MOTHER OF ASGARD? And they're apparently going to make Jane the new Valkyrie?
I am not Ok with Jane being ALL-MOTHER , as it was not done well at all. It truly made no sense. Her becoming Valkyrie, that would have been a better story than the last 5 years of destroying Thor and his reputation.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 am

I swear, I'm trying to give John's new Shazam series a chance, and Johns seems to really be trying to do something more like the classic Captain Marvel stories, basically making Billy less of an asshole, trying to give the suddenly introduced diversity siblings more actual personalities to work with, trying to introduce more classic Marvel Family tropes like Mr. Tawney . . . but it's not fun. It's trying to be fun, trying to be cutesy and clever, but it's not.

Mr. Mind is now apparently a literal Bookworm from a land of anthropomorphic animals that literally ate some magic books to become a magical psychic worm. Dr. Sivana is still basically a wizard. The Seven Lands of Magic aren't interesting, they're all basically crapsack versions of Disney films. One land is basically if you combined Neverland and Pleasure Island, a land where kids have fun, but is ruled over by this despotic Peter Pan that puts kids that get too old to work in slave mines. One land is basically Tron where people compete in game challenges. One land is basically Zootopia.

The art just isn't great either. Dale's art is usually fantastic, but he's just not selling it in this book. He just can't make the Nu-Shazam outfits look good.

I mean, he's trying to make Adult Mary Marvel look sexy, and for me at least, it's just not happening. She looks off to me. Plus that isn't something Mary would say.

It's sad when former fan-artist Sen is the best artist in the book.

They're also mentioning a potential 7th Champion of Shazam, and I hope to God they don't mean Black Adam. Screw THAT noise.

The book also showcases why having Billy and the other Shazam kids all belong to the same foster family is a bad idea: it's incredibly cruel to their foster parents when the kids go missing. There was a reason why Billy and Freddy largely lived on their own and Mary was with a wealthy foster family that lent her a great deal of personal freedom. Having foster parents means that when the kids go missing, the foster parents are incredibly worried, call the cops and now could deal with legal repercussions of the kids actions. It kind of kills the wish fulfillment aspect of the character when being a superhero means your foster parents could get in trouble with the law.

I mean, in concept a lot of what Johns is trying to do isn't bad.
  • Making the Rock of Eternity into the Marvel Family's version of the Fortress of Solitude or the Batcave? That's cool.
  • Add more members to the Marvel Family, adding some diversity to the roster? That's something that fits the Marvel Family and could easily work.
  • Bringing back classic Marvel Family mainstays like Mr. Tawney and Mr. Mind? Long past time for it.
  • Adding more Urban Fantasy tropes to the Marvel Family? Yes please.
  • Using the Rock to visit magical realms, other dimensions and go on crazy adventures? It's about time.
But Johns just can't figure out how to do any of that WELL. He knows what he should be doing to make a good Captain Marvel book and he just can't pull it off. It just continues to reinforce the idea that he's the last person who should be regularly writing Captain Marvel and that they should have got the Future Quest guys working on a Marvel Family book.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Marvel's Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski explains the process for killing off characters.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Counterpoint: Mary is breathtaking all the time, and Dale's art only makes her moreso :P. I mean, the outfit is the dumb, but I guess he can't help that. And Dale's always had a bit of an issue with odd, stiff poses, making his "sexualized" women often pose a bit strangely (I have a similar problem), but... Mary is waifu.

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Sorry but the lightning in the chest bit just DOES NOT work for me. Really wish it would get dropped.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 am

Is anyone reading the current Justice League series?

I found a YouTube video on some of the current run, and it just sounds like DC basically has more a pile up of crossover events happening at once.

You've got Doomsday Clock, which is establishing the current DCU as screwed over by Dr. Manhattan and Geoff Johns using Manhattan to basically explain his own mixed feelings about dramatically altering Superman and the DCU.

You've got Heroes in Crisis which just ended.

Then you've got Scott Snyder's Justice League where Snyder has taken it upon himself to decide the origin of the DCU itself, with the idea of the Source creating these cosmic titans like Perpetua that judge multiverses, and that she actually created the Monitor, Anti-Monitor and a new character called the World Forger, and she was what was imprisoned inside the Source Wall?

It's just weird that while Geoff Johns is basically apologizing for altering the very fabric of the DCU, Snyder just said, "Hold my beer."

They brought back the Will Payton Starman, which I would be pretty excited for normally, but instead of being essentially a human-shaped micro-sun, he's now powered by the Multiverse itself?

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Ares wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 am
You've got Doomsday Clock, which is establishing the current DCU as screwed over by Dr. Manhattan and Geoff Johns using Manhattan to basically explain his own mixed feelings about dramatically altering Superman and the DCU.
The Dr. Manhattan redesign that was a little too on the nose.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 am

Ares wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 am

They brought back the Will Payton Starman, which I would be pretty excited for normally, but instead of being essentially a human-shaped micro-sun, he's now powered by the Multiverse itself?
I liked Starman(Payton), would you recommend it as something worth looking into?