Crossgen Comics - Anyone remember them?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Crossgen Comics - Anyone remember them?

Post by Ares »

I've been cleaning up my library and going through some old books, and I came across my old Crossgen issues. I was really taken with the setting back in the day, the ongoing mystery, the clear shared universe, etc. It was a much tighter setting where the creators were clearly communicating with each other, doing their best to engage in an ongoing story, touching on a lot of different genres, etc.

Unfortunately, the whole setting sort of fell apart due to poor financial management, and the whole thing pretty much ends on this massive cliffhanger as the Negation begins to invade the Crossgen setting.

There were definitely things I liked and hated about the books, and re-reading them some of the cracks stand out more clearly. Still, I was wondering if anyone else had memories, good and bad, about the setting. Honestly, it seemed like a perfect setting to do an RPG in.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Crossgen Comics - Anyone remember them?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I read Route 666 in graphic novel format, and I wish they could have continued. I never really read any of the other series.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Nice decent set up for various series. I was collecting the Forge and Edge trades which meant I could keep up on the various different series.

Pity it ended just as the big storyline they were working towards was getting going.

Of course, the stories I heard about how they treated several of the writers including Mark Waid, they did kinda deserve to go under.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Back in the day I had a couple of issues of Mystic and Sojourn, but they never worked for me. There were a lot of good ideas, but the overall theme of the sigil seemed kind of random and tacked on at times.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Depended on the comic; for some like Ruse, the Sigil and backstory were barely involved.

Sojourn, it was actually more important about whom the guy they were looking for was as he tied into several other comics.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Enjoyed quite a few of them actually, though I really only read a couple for more than a story arc apiece. Ron Marz recently talked (in the BAMF Podcast) about how proud he was of the CrossGen works, and still sad about how the company ended. And of course, Mark Alessi, the founder, died of a massive coronary recently, at 65 years old. Not a young man, obviously, but still a solid 12-15 years earlier than what is usually considered a natural span.

All my best.