Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Arkrite

Re: Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Post by Arkrite »

Surprisingly I don't see Zane getting out of the superheroics business.

At least, not entirely.

I had a few ideas that came from Davies. One that was an off hand comment that was too funny not to consider, and another that... well, lets just jump into it.

The first one was an off hand comment when Skew was trying to convince Alegria to build a gasmask into the black fabric mask he wanted to wear over his head.

Alegria's response was basically, "You'll have to ask the doctor."

And that's about when I started laughing.
A man who refers to himself as "The Doctor" (The Doctor is in), who has had access to devices that teleport and time travel, who prefers to talk or run over fighting, is smart, overly full of himself, and has access to a variety of spunky female traveling companions? (Toxic, Changeling, Songbird, Strong Girl, Lenore, etc)

Could I see Zane going on wacky adventures with random people attempting to troubleshoot situations? Well, I kind of can now ;~)

More seriously though the concept of SaneTech as a medical company first and foremost made me realize something that the setting was kind of missing. Where do you go when you need a medical situation looked at?
The Albright Institute is an option, but lacks any person of real note.
The Atoms are an option, especially if the lady Doctor has returned. But if she hasn't their ability to help is limited, and they're rarely around.
The Freedom League has access to things, but again you either need to be a member or know somebody who is, and even then they seem to lack a medical guy.

And, knowing Zane, even if his goal is to make technology usable by the normal people of the world, it's inevitable he'd wind up with supertech that, while not useful for selling could still prove invaluable for treating injuries.
And for a guy who's looking to gather favours for a later date there's plenty of reasons to start helping people.
At first to make sure he'd got options should the worst happen with Project Freedom, but I imagine eventually Zane would lose sight of that goal if Rachel's position became less precarious, and becoming more concerned with overcoming the challenges as opposed to the theoretical rewards.

Also it would just be amusing to have Zane be an actual full Medical Doctor with the appropriate credentials... since he'd still painfully squeamish.

And yes, there would eventually be a battlesuit. I have no doubt it would look entirely too much like a certain general of Omega's, and be locked away never to be used.
What? No, I'm not setting up anything for usage by the next generation. Shush.

The only other thing would be the Ada project...
Which really becomes, would Billie like a sister? Because I always imagined that Ada would be more like a human, growing in size (nanite design appropriated from a certain Robin) and intelligence.
This one is less a robot Aide, and more of a free entity.

Davies wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm The child would also be the immediate subject of a kidnap plot by Rachel's mother.
Well, if you ever needed at catalyst for bringing Project Freedom's remaining members together again you got it.
If she succeeded in kidnapping Billie Zane would call in every member he could find (I doubt it would be hard to convince them), as well as anybody else he could get to quickly.
And then he would go show that crazy old woman what it's like to pick a fight with something bigger and scarier than herself.
I am of course referring to Zalman. ;~)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ The TV Doctor is part of Davies's setting, so he's also an option.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

This is true, I had forgotten about him.
But it seems like he works for the league on the space station, makes it hard for none league members to approach.
Shock

Post by Shock »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:57 am ^_^ The TV Doctor is part of Davies's setting, so he's also an option.
He probably works with Daedalus a lot so I'm sure he's on Zane's list.

Minus Rachel's influence, I could see Zane turning into some kind of cross between Tony Stark and Dr House, solving medical issues with sci-fi level tech and being absolutely obnoxious while doing it.
Davies wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm The child would also be the immediate subject of a kidnap plot by Rachel's mother.
Kidnap Toxic's child? I think I'd rather shave using a garden weasel and battery acid.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm
With Rachel's influence, I could see Zane turning into some kind of cross between Tony Stark and Dr House, solving medical issues with sci-fi level tech and being absolutely obnoxious while doingit.
Fixed that for you.
Kidnap Toxic's child? I think I'd rather shave using a garden weasel and battery acid.
Or stick a hand in working lawn mower. Either way.....
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Shock wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm
I'm imagining something along the lines of Doyt'Haban's body modifications...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm Fixed that for you.
This was pretty much my reaction, yeah ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 pm
Huh. I figured Toxic was an overall good influence on Zane.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 pm
Oh, no doubt she is. Just imagine how much more elitist & condescending Zane would be without her influence.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tattooedman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 am
Davies wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 pm This was pretty much my reaction, yeah ...
Oh, no doubt she is. Just imagine how much more elitist & condescending Zane would be without her influence.
<nodnod> :lol:
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tattooedman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 am

That's what I meant originally. If Toxic wasn't around, I could see Zane ending up like a cross between Stark's and House's brilliance and obnoxious personalities, helping people just to show them how much better than them he was.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 am That's what I meant originally. If Toxic wasn't around, I could see Zane ending up like a cross between Stark's and House's brilliance and obnoxious personalities, helping people just to show them how much better than them he was.
See, I envision Zane being the way you're talking about because of Toxic and if he didn't have her he would be almost unbearable.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tattooedman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:50 am
Shock wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 am That's what I meant originally. If Toxic wasn't around, I could see Zane ending up like a cross between Stark's and House's brilliance and obnoxious personalities, helping people just to show them how much better than them he was.
See, I envision Zane being the way you're talking about because of Toxic and if he didn't have her he would be almost unbearable.
Ah, that makes more sense. I totally misread that. I blame Arkrite. :D
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 amAh, that makes more sense. I totally misread that. I blame Arkrite. :D
Sorry, being able to instill blinding rage in people is a natural talent. ;~)

Simply put... yeah, I agree with TM and Davies.
Toxic's influence on Zane has made him a far, far better person. Sadly very little of that translates to his personality as it does to his intentions and goals.

Her influence helped take the better parts of him, the parts that would face his greatest fears to protect a friend or offer true advice to a person who'd threatened to kill him, and made him believe those were worth striving for.

Without her influence the best result of Zane would likely have the same outward personality, but with a merciless drive and a cruel intent beneath. Sure, he'd save lives still, but everything would be an ends to a goal. The lives wouldn't be important, the people wouldn't be important, the pain and suffering wouldn't be important, only his end goal of making a better world.

The worst result would be a would-be Doctor Doom with a puppet-master mentality, manipulating people into joining his cause by reading their minds and offering them what they wanted.

Toxic's Zane is a dick. He's smug, arrogant, self important, with a tendency to be scathing, sarcastic and gloat. But beneath that he's caring, earnest, driven to use what he knows to help. He lacks the unhealthy zeal that convinced him he was correct in all things. He's willing to put aside his own pride for the greater good and his family.

Toxic's Zane would ask Daedalus to help him save Billie.

So yeah, Stark and House sound dead on. Though with a lean more towards Stark's confused and misguided attempts to be a better person. He means well, but, oi vey, it's still Zane ;~)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

So, I was rereading this, after you crosslinked it from your other thread. Did I miss it, or did you go into the abortive PbP reboot?