Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Arkrite

Re: Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 amI was definitely going to have as many of you as possible guest star in the episode where Zalman was resurrected. The endgame for the series was, of course, the downfall of the Grant administration and possibly Taurus losing control of the Labyrinth (to whom, I'm not sure.) I was also going to do some stuff with Backlash's legacy and Minobu's connection to the Heralds. The only thing that I definitely remember was going to happen by the end of the first adventure was the report of the death of Duncan Summers, which was going to be the trigger for Charlie to start making her way back to Freedom City from her most recent sojourn away. (I honestly think Duncan's death would shake the setting up far more than Eldrich's would.)
Eldrich would have effects, but I always assumed he was much like Doctor Strange, his adventures are important but largely unknown to the world at large.
Somebody like Duncan (I assume) would be far more involved in the world and the community, and their loss could be felt a lot more.

There were a few interesting things going on there. The most noticeable reveal was that Doctor Metropolis was the new Director for Project Freedom.
Doctor Metropolis did seem to show some interest in the Project in the first game, seeming to have met with the A Team a few times and taking a liking to them. Specifically he seemed to take an interest in Rachel's powers...
uh...

Huh. Just had a crazy weird thought. Probably nothing. Carrying on.

Anyways, it does explain why Rachel's still on the team, and possibly why her not so secret relationship with Zane was tolerated. I'm now I'm wondering if Zane knew, if Doc simply thought it was best for Rachel, or if it was simply the least disruptive effort to just let him have a job (since he wasn't just going to go away).

I'm also presuming that the teams lower power level was an attempt to operate in plain sight without being a large enough threat to draw the attention of the Labyrinth.
The last B team was getting a lot of attention due to the power and feats they were pulling off, but then Wainwright was looking for an army to take on Omega.

Hrm... Wonder how Savant survived his attempt to work with the Grant Administration. I can't imagine he didn't start getting too close to knowing too much.
I doubt he's dead, he's like a roach that way.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 am Anyways, it does explain why Rachel's still on the team, and possibly why her not so secret relationship with Zane was tolerated. I'm now I'm wondering if Zane knew, if Doc simply thought it was best for Rachel, or if it was simply the least disruptive effort to just let him have a job (since he wasn't just going to go away).
I'm fairly sure that Zane did not know. As to the other wonderings, his motives were somewhere in between the two options suggested.
Arkrite wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 am I'm also presuming that the teams lower power level was an attempt to operate in plain sight without being a large enough threat to draw the attention of the Labyrinth.
Yep.
Arkrite wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 am Hrm... Wonder how Savant survived his attempt to work with the Grant Administration. I can't imagine he didn't start getting too close to knowing too much.
I doubt he's dead, he's like a roach that way.
This, I'm afraid, is something that I won't be able to answer until the new edition of Freedom City comes out and I see just how much of Worlds of Freedom's "Future Freedom" has happened. (I know some has from the cover and various references, but ...)

Funny story about Savant: One of the things that I considered having happen was the reveal that he'd actually been working for Wainwright all along as a sort of Internal Affairs agent. I ultimately decided that was too great of a plot twist to be endured. It's possible, though, that he was working with Dr. Metropolis during this era.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

And now I'm a little curious to see what the other players think the characters might have been up to in the time since the epilogue.
Obviously it's all somewhat speculative stuff, especially with the new Freedom City book only a month or so out, but I can't help but think it'd be interesting to hear what you guys think.

A part of me hopes that Songbird would wind up a single mother after an encounter with Herc. Not to mention the drama that would cause (I'm sure Herc would want to take the kid back "home" and that wouldn't likely go over well), but it would technically make Charlie and Robin family.

I have no idea what Donnie would be up to in the meantime, but a part of me would love to see him as the "heavy" for a team of more down to earth street level heroes.

And I'm sure everybody knows what I'd love to see from Zalman: Working as an instructor for the next generation of magic users. Specifically I'd just love to see him instructing a group of magical girls ;~)

Charlie... Charlie is difficult, I just imagine she'd continue being Charlie, traveling the world, making friends, hitting on women, helping people.

I'm a little hesitant to comment on these characters since their players aren't around, but...

Wuxia I'd assume remained with the Freedom League's little black ops group, maybe moving into a training role as the League's hand-to-hand expert.

Vaulter would be interesting if he mellowed a little, and joined a group of like minded heroes in Europe in an attempt to survive Eurostar's influence.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 amI have no idea what Donnie would be up to in the meantime, but a part of me would love to see him as the "heavy" for a team of more down to earth street level heroes.
Really? Honestly I always had the idea that the next Headmaster of Claremont might offer Donnie a job - something like ethics or Common Sense for the Urban Environment (aka street smarts). Gives him an way to be closer to Malory (which I'm sure a near teenager wouldn't enjoy nearly as much as dear old Dad would).

I mean this is alongside Donnie's business as a security consultant, maybe specializing in super-human security. Not that it takes up all his time mind you, so I'm sure he finds himself occasionally getting into some interesting situations.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 am A part of me hopes that Songbird would wind up a single mother after an encounter with Herc. Not to mention the drama that would cause (I'm sure Herc would want to take the kid back "home" and that wouldn't likely go over well), but it would technically make Charlie and Robin family.
Oh man that would be funny. I can just imagine the adventures little Caroline and her Auntie Charlie would get into.

But no, I don't see Robin being a single mother, at least not in the next few years. Nanotech can make for excellent birth control ;} I see Robin's early twenties as a time of endless frustration. Her father's in prison. She's got to run the company, in way over her head. Her social life is a mess. None of her old friends will give her the time of day and she's just (in)famous enough to have serious trouble making new ones. And she never could get Hercules to give her a roll in the hay.

Robin would definitely give Donnie some work as a security consultant, especially since there was an incident with the Magpie; yet another source of frustration.

As for heroing, Robin's officially "retired." She doesn't have much confidence in her ability to operate solo and her reputation hasn't led any group to seek her out. Which is fine for her because keeping Grey Capital together is much more important to her and the way things ended with Project Freedom didn't leave her with much desire to work in a team setting again.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Tattooedman wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 amI have no idea what Donnie would be up to in the meantime, but a part of me would love to see him as the "heavy" for a team of more down to earth street level heroes.
Really?
Well, to clarify, I didn't see it as a full time job. More like he's on call for a team of street level heroes if they wind up in over their heads.
With his power set it wouldn't be hard to get out to where he was needed, if needed, and his down to earth mind set seems like he'd be cool with helping out a team of low level heroes as kind of mentor role.
Could make even more sense if they were a group trying to make good after a not so heroic start.

But I've always assumed that Donnie's primary thing would be the security consultant job. It might be a difficult go at first, but I'm assuming that Wainwright's influence, plus having a couple big name companies under his belt (Both Zane and Robin would hire him, I have no doubts) would make things go easier.

I have no idea how trying to be an instructor for Claremont would go, the last Headmaster wasn't likely to offer such a role but I have no idea how the new one would react.

It does amuse me, though, how Donnie's skill set would likely preclude him from being a normal teacher, but his criminal toolkit would make him an invaluable instructor for low powered hero types. (High powered types would benefit too, if they'd take the time to realize it...)
How to properly scout a site, how to find and disable electronics, planning, preparations, knowing the area and the local players.
Stuff that might seem dull to the next generations of superheroes, but could easily save lives and win fights.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm Oh man that would be funny. I can just imagine the adventures little Caroline and her Auntie Charlie would get into.
I know, wouldn't it just be great?
Not to be, but oh so much potential...
Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pmNanotech can make for excellent birth control ;}
A billion dollar suit of nanotech hundreds of years in advance of anything we have today... and she's using it as "the pill" *sigh*

I'm just wondering who built that function in!!!

Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pmI see Robin's early twenties as a time of endless frustration. Her father's in prison. She's got to run the company, in way over her head. Her social life is a mess. None of her old friends will give her the time of day and she's just (in)famous enough to have serious trouble making new ones.
Leads to an interesting question of how Robin gets along with everybody after Project Freedom ended. I assume Charlie would be cool with her because, well, she's Charlie.
Amusingly enough Zane wouldn't have any issues with Robin's choice not to go, he can easily understand why. That being said with Rachel's current feelings towards Robin he likely wouldn't make any conversations with Robin public.
Not that I could really see Robin calling Zane up unless her suit was going berserk. And maybe not even then...
Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pmAnd she never could get Hercules to give her a roll in the hay.
I find that hard to believe ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Actually, I suspect Wuxia met a somewhat more unfortunate fate than that. Once the infiltration of Project Freedom fell apart, the Taskforce didn't need him as a witness anymore, so he asked Trouble for their rematch. And he got it. And he'd improved enough as a fighter that she had to inflict permanent injury in order to bring the fight to an end. He's since ended up in Shamballah as one of the instructors there. (And that's one of the reasons that I'm concerned about the absence of Shamballah in the Atlas of Earth Prime.)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm I know, wouldn't it just be great?
Not to be, but oh so much potential...
I'd have to track CD down and pay him to write it. it would be awesome.
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm A billion dollar suit of nanotech hundreds of years in advance of anything we have today... and she's using it as "the pill" *sigh*

I'm just wondering who built that function in!!!
You'd prefer she reproduce?

Early on after her release, Robin spent a lot of time refining her control over the nanotech. That will manifest itself as greatly increased health in the form of resistance to disease, poison and even the ability to affect her metabolism (e.g. keep her thin :D ).
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm Leads to an interesting question of how Robin gets along with everybody after Project Freedom ended. I assume Charlie would be cool with her because, well, she's Charlie.
Amusingly enough Zane wouldn't have any issues with Robin's choice not to go, he can easily understand why. That being said with Rachel's current feelings towards Robin he likely wouldn't make any conversations with Robin public.
Not that I could really see Robin calling Zane up unless her suit was going berserk. And maybe not even then...
I assume she'd be friends with Charlie and Donnie. I doubt much would have happened to improve her relationship with Zane, especially given Toxic's opinion. Which is too bad because a partnership with him would probably be a good thing for her business.
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm I find that hard to believe ;~)
I see it as a running joke that every time they see each other, something gets in the way.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 pm I see it as a running joke that every time they see each other, something gets in the way.
And now I'm flashing on John Byrne's run on She-Hulk, where she kept having these long fantasy sequences about Hercules showing up during a time when the guy was "temporarily unavailable".
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 5:44 pm Actually, I suspect Wuxia met a somewhat more unfortunate fate than that.
Oh dear, it'll be interesting to see if it was left out because they had something planned in the Freedom City book, because it's gone, or because they just forgot about it entirely :~P
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm I'd have to track CD down and pay him to write it. it would be awesome.
Indeed. Don't forget visits from Uncle Zalman ;~)
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm You'd prefer she reproduce?
What, Zane's issue with Robin was her inability to live up to her potential.
The child would just be a new chance to see that potential reached ;~)

Besides, I love children.

But he could never eat a whole one.

Early on after her release, Robin spent a lot of time refining her control over the nanotech. That will manifest itself as greatly increased health in the form of resistance to disease, poison and even the ability to affect her metabolism (e.g. keep her thin :D ).
... Note to self, steal that technology.
Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 pm I assume she'd be friends with Charlie and Donnie. I doubt much would have happened to improve her relationship with Zane, especially given Toxic's opinion. Which is too bad because a partnership with him would probably be a good thing for her business.
You might be surprised.
The project was the closest thing to a family he ever had, and his brief stint in command invested a certain sentimentality in him.
He'd have attempted to keep in touch with everybody to a degree, likely attempted to hire Charlie (bodyguard) and Donnie (Security) with no luck. (I can't believe either would want Zane for a boss, even a much more chill version).
With Charlie he'd likely have kept in touch though Rachel, assuming that Charlie never called needing something.
Donnie is real easy, all he has to do is build a upgrade for the arm and he has an excuse to bug Donnie. Or do his usual security checks, if not just introducing people to Donnie in regards to his security business. Because he would be supporting Donnie's business by sending prospective customers his way.

Zalman (when he returns) likely wouldn't be hard to convince to meet on a regular basis, if only to continue their chess games that Zane always loses.

Wuxia and Vaulter are both ones he'd likely not attempt to contact on his own. Wuxia's run with the Freedom League felt like a betrayal, and to be fair they never really interacted.
Vaulter... well, if Vaulter came looking for help Zane would hear him out.

As for Robin? Zane always saw her as somebody who had an extreme level of potential and his issues with her largely stemmed from her failing to live up to those standards, or her somewhat reckless actions in combat.
As the latter is no longer an issue he needs to worry about, and her actions don't weigh on anybody but herself, he'd be a lot easier to interact with.
I assume they'd run into each other at some business events, and if he was alone he'd make an attempt to say hello.
If Rachel was around he'd pretend he hadn't seen Robin and attempt to lead Rachel in the opposite direction.

He can understand Robin's actions, even appreciate them to a degree, but he's not going to take Robin's side in a fight with Rachel. ;~)
Davies wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm And now I'm flashing on John Byrne's run on She-Hulk, where she kept having these long fantasy sequences about Hercules showing up during a time when the guy was "temporarily unavailable".
My problem with being on these boards: People keep mentioning comics I've never seen and I keep wanting to drain my poor battered wallet dry trying to read them all ;~)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 pm As for Robin? Zane always saw her as somebody who had an extreme level of potential and his issues with her largely stemmed from her failing to live up to those standards, or her somewhat reckless actions in combat.
As the latter is no longer an issue he needs to worry about, and her actions don't weigh on anybody but herself, he'd be a lot easier to interact with.
I assume they'd run into each other at some business events, and if he was alone he'd make an attempt to say hello.
If Rachel was around he'd pretend he hadn't seen Robin and attempt to lead Rachel in the opposite direction.
Wouldn't it be fun if Grey Capital was a minority partner of SaneTech?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 am Wouldn't it be fun if Grey Capital was a minority partner of SaneTech?
I've certainly been operating under the assumption that it is.

With regards to Robin and Hercules, there'd be about a 25% chance that their child would have nanotech augmentation like Robin, and about a 75% chance that the child would be half-Olympian, with maybe a .000001% chance for both. For reasons too complicated to go into, Hercules' offspring (and he's had a lot of them) are never Ultima.

I've been trying to come up with a good "conclusion" for this thread, without really getting anywhere, for the last week. I suppose that's because I don't really believe that the story is over, since I will be restarting the thread that spawned the game once I get my mitts on the new Freedom City. (I make no promises that I'll ever do a PBP again. On the other hand, I make no promises that I won't.) Thank you all for taking the time to go over this with me, thank you to all who paused to read this review, just generally thank you.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm With regards to Robin and Hercules, there'd be about a 25% chance that their child would have nanotech augmentation like Robin, and about a 75% chance that the child would be half-Olympian, with maybe a .000001% chance for both. For reasons too complicated to go into, Hercules' offspring (and he's had a lot of them) are never Ultima.
Huh. I'd never thought of the possibility of the nanotech being passed on but it makes sense that some of the nanites could move into the child. Robin would certainly attempt to use them to keep the child healthy if she ever became pregnant. And of course in far future (10+ years) stories, it's too good a hook to pass up.
Davies wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm I've been trying to come up with a good "conclusion" for this thread, without really getting anywhere, for the last week. I suppose that's because I don't really believe that the story is over, since I will be restarting the thread that spawned the game once I get my mitts on the new Freedom City. (I make no promises that I'll ever do a PBP again. On the other hand, I make no promises that I won't.) Thank you all for taking the time to go over this with me, thank you to all who paused to read this review, just generally thank you.
I with you that I don't really see the story as over either and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with when the new Freedom City stuff comes out. I've been trying to write something for Robin for a couple years now and I think this thread has got me moving in the right direction.
Davies

Post by Davies »

With regards to a child of Zane and Toxic, Billie (as she'd insist on naming them regardless of gender) would have her physical mutations (extra organs, toughness, slow aging) but express powers of telepathy and telekinesis like him. How well those talents would develop would be an open question. The child would also be the immediate subject of a kidnap plot by Rachel's mother.