Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Arkrite

Re: Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Post by Arkrite »

You're assuming the deep ones aren't stretchy! :o
Davies

Post by Davies »

My idea is that she has no problem fighting off the army -- but they keep coming, and she eventually realizes that fighting these creatures is getting in the way of being the shield for her friends, and by the time she realizes it, some bad stuff is already happening to you. But they don't stop coming.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Wow, that is evil.
And perfect.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

First, sorry it's taken me a while to get something resembling a reply to things posted, but life has been ...... lets go with interesting.
Chapter 15
Donnie had some interesting bits in this story; Zalman's promise to him, Donnie's meeting Janus (which is one of Donnie's interactions that might be my personal favorites, just because I thought there was a chance he might die during it), his dealing with Savant. Overall he had a lesser role in this chapter, but again I'm ok with that because Robin, Charlie, Zane & Toxic was getting the spotlight.

Looking back I had Donnie go with Janus' helper mostly because (IMO mind you) he wasn't paying as close attention as he should have, or to put it simpler - Donnie made a mistake plain & simple.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Chapter 16
This one is something of a jumble for me, a bit confusing in how things went down (though as I recall I was having a lot of OT at work at the time, so that likely added to that feeling) though I think it helps set the tone of the chapter with it being Robin's first "official" outing as team leader (a job that is more of a title given the members of the group than anything else, otherwise possibly known as "the one who catches hell for everyone's mistakes").

Granted I think Eld's departure & the removal of Wu added to that as well, though I think Davies handled it as best as he could and worked it into the overall story in an interesting way that fit the background & personality of the character.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Are there any plans to touch upon the attempted reboot? I remember you opening builds and me submitting an entirely inappropriate one. Although, it could have been worse... could you imagine Loli-chan?

"So, what are you in for?"
"Public indecency. Can you believe it? If they didn't want the eels used, they shouldn't put them out there!"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:07 pm First, sorry it's taken me a while to get something resembling a reply to things posted, but life has been ...... lets go with interesting.
Yeah, I heard. Stay strong, okay?
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm Are there any plans to touch upon the attempted reboot?
I'll touch on the parts that are (I think) relevant in my next post, later today.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Davies wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:16 pm
Tattooedman wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:07 pm First, sorry it's taken me a while to get something resembling a reply to things posted, but life has been ...... lets go with interesting.
Yeah, I heard. Stay strong, okay?
Cool. It helps I'm a touch too stubborn for my own good sometimes, but thanks for the support.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Davies wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm Are there any plans to touch upon the attempted reboot?
I'll touch on the parts that are (I think) relevant in my next post, later today.
Looking forward to this, I was sad to see that game fall off. There looked to be several interesting things in the works.
Davies

Post by Davies »

* "Finale": On election night, as it becomes apparent that Jonathan Grant will be the next mayor of Freedom City, Wainwright asks her people to accompany her on an invasion of the Terminus. She has acquired a powered armor suit from Japan, made friends with it, and will be using it in the invasion, whether anyone come with her or not. The fate of Project Freedom is decided. Ultimately, Wainwright sacrifices her life to send the survivors of her invasion force back through the gate. Some of those survivors receive pardons as a result of their participation in these events, others continue to serve as members of the Project in the grim years ahead.
Wainwright's decision was ultimately prompted by the fact that her agents inside Grant's campaign were able to discover that he had no intention of leaving her in charge of Project Freedom, and was considering shutting down the organization completely. She was left with absolutely nothing to lose.

When I presented this outline to you, I asked you to describe how the final adventure played out, and was very pleased by the ideas that I'd gotten. Jalinth's offer to have Zalman sacrifice himself was what spared Toxic's life -- sort of. (In one of my outlines, moved by forces she wot not of, she tells Omega, "You are nothing in the scheme of creation. A far greater foe awaits me" -- words spoken by another, long ago -- then is chased by him all the way to the Doom Coil, which she throws herself into, distracting him so the rest of you can make your escape.)

The way that I dealt with the way Shock had Robin refusing to enter the Terminus made for an okay bullet point, but it would have made for lousy campaigning. Here's what happened instead -- she either managed to break the lock on her door by herself, or was released by Keller. For his part, Keller thinks that things have officially gone Too Far; he wanted to avenge his friends, but this situation will cause far more deaths. He urges Robin to go find help to put a stop to this. Robin does so -- does she contact the Freedom League? The Atoms? The Mahoshoujodan? All of the above and some more people? Regardless, just as they assemble to go on an interception/rescue mission, Robin gets an IM.

"From: Mr. Infamy. Body: To think you did what I wanted without even being asked!"

Needless to say, both missions are pretty disastrous, and Zalman's sacrifice is all that saves your lives. Wainwright was either going to get killed in the first engagement with Omega -- a full-powered Omega, not an injured, paralyzed one -- or was going to live long enough to call the retreat and then sacrifice her life to buy you an extra round of escape time.

I was going to have Ray show up for the funerals, having developed a bit as a character in the unseen interval. Keller, meanwhile, was going to be on the lam from authorities who suspect him of having played a very different role in this disaster.

With regards to Zalman's fate, it should come as no surprise that I had no intention of having the mage killed off for real. The fire creature that the members of Project Freedom faced in the first and only episode of the reboot was supposed to be the first of four elementally-themed manifestations which were Zalman trying to pull himself back together. This was going to spread over the first few episodes, but ... I found that I still couldn't hack it, despite having taken so long a vacation. Or maybe because of it. Who knows?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm Are there any plans to touch upon the attempted reboot? I remember you opening builds and me submitting an entirely inappropriate one.
Explosive guys are a hard sell for group that were supposed to be helping people without fighting.
But at least you're not the one with the "Collateral Damage" as a complication! Yikes.

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pmAlthough, it could have been worse... could you imagine Loli-chan?
Oh god... I just imagine poor Wainwright who seemed to be barely able to come to terms with Charlie's orientation having to deal with Loli-Chan.
I imagine the portal would get used ;~)
Shock

Post by Shock »

I got the impression that another thing pushing Wainwright to move on Omega was the fact she was dying. How long did she have left?

Trying to find help would have been a real dilemma for Robin. I can say for sure that she would not have called the Magical Girls, even though not calling them would have strained her relationship with Herald Midas. In spite of their power, she would not have been willing to send them to their deaths as well. A lot of it would depend on whether she managed to score any contacts outside of Project Freedom during her time as leader. I don't think she had anyone she would feel comfortable calling as of the time the game stopped. She knew of Zalman's connection to Seven and Charlie's connection to the Raven and Hercules. But would she have any way of contacting them? What about AEGIS? Would the mission at Lockdown have mended that relationship any?

Of course, the message from Mr Infamy would have sent Robin into a panic of second-guessing herself.

I like the idea for Zalman's return. Not to mention all the stuff going on behind the scenes that was only hinted at in the adventure. And what role would have the surviving members of Project Freedom have played when it came time for their cameos?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 am I got the impression that another thing pushing Wainwright to move on Omega was the fact she was dying. How long did she have left?
Maybe a year at most, longer if she used her connections to get access to super-medical treatment. Instead, she used them to get enough pardons for all of you.
Shock wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 amTrying to find help would have been a real dilemma for Robin. I can say for sure that she would not have called the Magical Girls, even though not calling them would have strained her relationship with Herald Midas. In spite of their power, she would not have been willing to send them to their deaths as well. A lot of it would depend on whether she managed to score any contacts outside of Project Freedom during her time as leader. I don't think she had anyone she would feel comfortable calling as of the time the game stopped. She knew of Zalman's connection to Seven and Charlie's connection to the Raven and Hercules. But would she have any way of contacting them? What about AEGIS? Would the mission at Lockdown have mended that relationship any?
Yes, quite a bit. Also, the Freedom League maintains a toll-free hotline. Mentioning the Terminus would get her bumped to a priority receptionist, who'd be able to verify her identity and get her in touch with the League fairly easily.
Shock wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 amOf course, the message from Mr Infamy would have sent Robin into a panic of second-guessing herself.
Yep. :twisted:
Shock wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 amI like the idea for Zalman's return. Not to mention all the stuff going on behind the scenes that was only hinted at in the adventure. And what role would have the surviving members of Project Freedom have played when it came time for their cameos?
I was definitely going to have as many of you as possible guest star in the episode where Zalman was resurrected. The endgame for the series was, of course, the downfall of the Grant administration and possibly Taurus losing control of the Labyrinth (to whom, I'm not sure.) I was also going to do some stuff with Backlash's legacy and Minobu's connection to the Heralds. The only thing that I definitely remember was going to happen by the end of the first adventure was the report of the death of Duncan Summers, which was going to be the trigger for Charlie to start making her way back to Freedom City from her most recent sojourn away. (I honestly think Duncan's death would shake the setting up far more than Eldrich's would.)
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 am
Davies wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 amAnd then it ended on a cliffhanger, and I went off for a two week sabbatical. I'm not sure if I should have started taking such breaks earlier and more frequently ... I don't know if it would have helped or hurt matters. Perhaps what was coming was inevitable. I'd like to think it wasn't, though.
It was something I never really noticed until after the fact, but there was a lot going on in this game, with multiple updates each day. Often every day of the week.
That's a lot of work!

I can only hope that it was largely enjoyable, but even then that's a lot to put on anyone's plate.

It might have been better to limit responses to certain days, take weekends off, and have a few weeks off between sessions.

A neat thing I found in some games that TM ran was that the players would do little short stories about events that happened between sessions allowing the players to go into adventures that likely wouldn't be touched on in the game, and offer up chances at character growth that might otherwise be missed due to the (delightfully) unpredictable nature of most games.

Edit: It was an interesting way to fill the time between sessions while the GM got a chance to rest.
The interludes bit honestly started as a way for me to give myself a bit of a break in between chapters, because my work schedule just always seems to be "odd" when compared to most other folks. That way if I want to incorporate something a player did/a new twist on my initial idea into the new chapter I have a chance to work it in. Plus I thought it would be something really cool to do since I'd not seen another GM do it before. ;)