Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Davies

Re: Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 pm I assumed she'd be the leader on the books, but what would it take for Wainwright to unofficially assign someone else?
<considers> Two major screw-ups -- on the order of punching the head of Freedom City's AEGIS contingent -- and then she'd have asked Donnie to start taking the lead from her.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 pm Leadership was largely a symbolic position anyway. I think she would have made it to the end and with no mutiny from the team either ;}
Really the leadership role was just a good means of keeping the action moving. With large groups you can wind up with a lot of different ideas and wind up bogging down in planning mode. Advantage of having a leader? You can just push forward.

But you are correct, it's mostly symbolic in these games, which is for the best. Lots more fun that way.

And while you might not have a mutiny you'd have had lots of insubordination. And no, that's not a threat, or an implication, just an observation based on history.
Nobody wants the job, but everybody has their idea on how to do it better ;~)
"Lockdown": Project Freedom's Team B is disbanded due to a mission gone wrong, and its paroled personnel are transported to be imprisoned in Buckner Ridge. However, this is all part of a secret operation conducted by AEGIS, temporarily under the command of Interim Director Edward Ritter following Horatio Powers' transformation into a paperweight. The members of Team B are able to uncover the criminal activities committed by the prison's staff and defeat their agents, as well as exposing the cartel behind the prison. They are reinstated after this success.
This one's pretty straight forward but I vaguely recall hearing that there was some fallout from this in regards to Rachel and Wainwright's relationship.

I also imagine the crew would like to avoid going back to jail after that one. The crooks would think your out to get them, the guards would think you're out to get them, and everybody'd be looking for an excuse to make sure you disappeared.

Still, I can only imagine some of the emotional damage done after the unexpected toss into jail. Would it have shaken Zalman's faith in his new found path, or bolstered it after the success? How would Donnie handle the thought of never seeing his kid again? Would Robin have prime rib, or the cheesecake after getting Zane hucked in jail?
Is Charlie able to keep non-chinchilla related secrets? ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:11 am
"Lockdown": Project Freedom's Team B is disbanded due to a mission gone wrong, and its paroled personnel are transported to be imprisoned in Buckner Ridge. However, this is all part of a secret operation conducted by AEGIS, temporarily under the command of Interim Director Edward Ritter following Horatio Powers' transformation into a paperweight. The members of Team B are able to uncover the criminal activities committed by the prison's staff and defeat their agents, as well as exposing the cartel behind the prison. They are reinstated after this success.
This one's pretty straight forward but I vaguely recall hearing that there was some fallout from this in regards to Rachel and Wainwright's relationship.
Yeah. Basically, it ties into what I said about springing this as a surprise on you -- Charlie and Robin would be the only ones who knew that it was a fix. Wainwright was going to play it that she'd managed to save Team A by sacrificing Team B -- and Toxic was going to be furious at her for this, with a scene between the two of them right before the team gets sent on the transport where Rachel calls Wainwright every dirty name in the books and then invents some new ones that aren't. And even after it was over, Toxic's relationship with Wainwright would never again be quite so warm as it was before. Wainwright would be going through another breakdown like the one she did after lying to Charlie, and no one was going to be able to get her out of this one. This is part of the sheer desperation that drives her to lead the team into the Terminus, eventually -- she reaches the point where she has nothing to lose anymore.

It was a risky adventure in several ways.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Davies wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 pm Thank you! I'm happy (if a little bewildered) to hear that. How did you come to read this game in particular out of all the ones on the Atomic Think Tank?
It was back when it was being played. I thought about trying to join it or a game like it a couple times, but I was never around when it was looking for new members. I still liked reading along, though. What drew my interest was probably that the relationship between the PCs and their "boss" was openly antagonistic in a way that didn't keep the players and the GM from getting along. That's hard to do.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:11 am And while you might not have a mutiny you'd have had lots of insubordination. And no, that's not a threat, or an implication, just an observation based on history.
Nobody wants the job, but everybody has their idea on how to do it better ;~)
Heh, I would have been shocked if there was no insubordination. None of the characters really did well dealing with authority. I wonder what kind of punishments Robin would have had the guts to give out.
Davies

Post by Davies »

* "Project Vengeance": Team B comes under attack from a variety of individuals who have grudges against them collectively and individually, such as Danni Chambers and Moses Nebogipfel, who have all gained superpowers from an unknown source. While they are dealing with this, one branch of the Meek launch an all-out assault against Project Freedom's headquarters. Nightmare and Wight are forced to expose themselves as Overpower and Trouble while defending themselves, ending the Taskforce's infiltration of Project Freedom. In the process, everyone on both of Project Freedom's teams learns about the Terminus portal in the basement.
This was also the adventure where Mona's treachery was going to be exposed. And I just realized that the only member of Team B who didn't know about the portal was Donnie, so the reactions to this would mostly have been from the Commander, the Old Man and Toxic.

Toxic was disgusted to learn about the portal; it was another strike against her loyalties to Wainwright, especially when Savant reveals that Wainwright used it as a threat to force him into compliance. However, she's not happy about the Freedom League -- or as she sees it, a bunch of people trading on the Freedom League's name -- spying on the group either. (In particular, this is the start of a mild rivalry between her and Trouble.)

The Commander is pretty much just inclined to sigh moodily about the situation. Of course there are horrible secrets at this place that he deluded himself might be a home. Of course he can't trust the authorities. Of course.

The Old Man is in a real bind. He's free to go whenever he wants, but he's aware that his old enemy is still in waiting out there, so he doesn't really want to ... but this is really bad news that he's gotten himself into! And how the hell has Savant been able to sit on this for all these months?! Out of everybody, Jimmy's the one who speaks most in favor of turning themselves in and throwing themselves on the mercy of the court.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

And finally Project Freedom B Team has it's own arch enemies like... Moses Nebogipfel... Really need to give that guy a flashy catchy name to make up for that last name.
The Anachronic Man?
Uh... maybe if we tried an anagram? Beep Felon Gismos. ::facepalm::
Okay, well, we know he had some kind of Time Travel aspect. Doc Epoch? Of course without knowing powers it could be inappropriate.

I like to think that he'd just be known as the Unpronounceable Man to Charlie. (In reality she'd probably just call him Moses. *sigh*)

This was also the adventure where Mona's treachery was going to be exposed.
Continuing the sad downward spiral for Wainwright as one of her few friends turns out to be a plant for an evil organization.
The only way this could end worse is if she had to shoot the women herself.

Actually I know Shock had asked before, but what was Mona's fate?
And out of curiosity was Mona's failure to recover due to her wanting to sneak weapons/gear in her wheelchair, or just due to her being depressed over the death of her husband and not doing the physical rehabilitation?
Davies wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 amshe's not happy about the Freedom League -- or as she sees it, a bunch of people trading on the Freedom League's name
It would have also been the point where Zane started disliking the Freedom League with a few exceptions.
Seven would have gotten a pass due to Zalman, and Doctor Metropolis due to Rachel, but the rest would have been on his list.
Directly under DAEDELUS! ::Shakes fist::
Davies wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 amToxic was disgusted to learn about the portal; it was another strike against her loyalties to Wainwright
Again sad, but entirely understandable.
Davies wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 am especially when Savant reveals that Wainwright used it as a threat to force him into compliance
Ironically this would put Wainwright in Zane's good books ;~)
Davies wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 amJimmy's the one who speaks most in favor of turning themselves in and throwing themselves on the mercy of the court.
Which isn't surprising as he and Robin are the only ones who'd have a good chance of walking away from that in a better state than lying about it.
Everybody else would be facing a worse punishment if it was found out, but would lose what little freedom they had by revealing it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm And finally Project Freedom B Team has it's own arch enemies like... Moses Nebogipfel... Really need to give that guy a flashy catchy name to make up for that last name.
The Anachronic Man?
Sure, let's go with that. :D
Arkrite wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm Actually I know Shock had asked before, but what was Mona's fate?f
Davies wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 pmTo belatedly answer Shock's question about her fate, I had it in mind that she'd be exposed as part of the Meek during their final assault on Project Freedom, and be sent off to jail. Whether she'd actually have ended up there, or been murdered in custody like the Meek killer in this episode, I leave to your imagination.
Arkrite wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pmAnd out of curiosity was Mona's failure to recover due to her wanting to sneak weapons/gear in her wheelchair, or just due to her being depressed over the death of her husband and not doing the physical rehabilitation?
The latter, and the GM not having a good grasp on recovery times. :oops:
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 pm The latter, and the GM not having a good grasp on recovery times. :oops:
Back injuries are very unpredictable. You weren't out of line on recovery time.

Hell, it took Barbara Gordon 22 years to recover from hers :D
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm It would have also been the point where Zane started disliking the Freedom League with a few exceptions.
Seven would have gotten a pass due to Zalman, and Doctor Metropolis due to Rachel, but the rest would have been on his list.
Directly under DAEDELUS! ::Shakes fist::
Zane would have been better off keeping a list of people he DID like. A lot less work ;}
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I wouldn't want people to feel hurt by being excluded from such a list.

Also: Not nearly as much fun!

It would be pretty short though, I will give you that ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

* "Never Sleep Again": Team B is caught up in a sequence of terrifying events at Providence Asylum that result in the apparent deaths of their former team-mate Vox and Dr. Ashley Ellis, the destruction of most of the asylum and escape of many of its prisoners, and the summoning of an Elder Evil known as the Lord of Bitter Laughter. Their failure to prevent any of this is spun as a failure on the part of other heroes, such as the Freedom League, to inform the city administration of the possibility of these events.
This was intended to be a full-on, Hellboy-styled cosmic horror adventure. Note phrasing -- "caught up in a sequence of terrifying events". Not "heroically overcoming a sequence of terrifying events". You might be some of the most powerful beings on the planet, but the planet is a speck of dust suspended in a sunbeam. I'm fairly sure that Zane was going to have a second encounter with a transformed, enhanced Luna Moth, who'd remember him less than fondly. Charlie would probably be called upon to fight off a whole small army of deep ones. Donnie's stoicism would be pushed to the limit -- I have this image of a group of nutcases hissing (one word per nutcase) "her name is Mallory". Robin would probably get swallowed by something again. And Zalman, as already mentioned, would be faced with a killing choice.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm This was intended to be a full-on, Hellboy-styled cosmic horror adventure. Note phrasing -- "caught up in a sequence of terrifying events". Not "heroically overcoming a sequence of terrifying events". You might be some of the most powerful beings on the planet, but the planet is a speck of dust suspended in a sunbeam. I'm fairly sure that Zane was going to have a second encounter with a transformed, enhanced Luna Moth, who'd remember him less than fondly. Charlie would probably be called upon to fight off a whole small army of deep ones. Donnie's stoicism would be pushed to the limit -- I have this image of a group of nutcases hissing (one word per nutcase) "her name is Mallory". Robin would probably get swallowed by something again. And Zalman, as already mentioned, would be faced with a killing choice.
That's the one where, if I knew it was coming, I would have been circling it on my calendar. I love Hellboy/Lovecraft style cosmic horror and I think PBP is probably a great medium for it. I also think it's a good fit for your strengths as a GM in that your understanding of the characters would give you a good chance of really challenging them in creative ways.

I think getting engulfed by some extra-planar horror would go a long way toward pushing Robin toward refusing to accompany the team into the Terminus.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm You might be some of the most powerful beings on the planet, but the planet is a speck of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The unfortunate truth: There's always someone bigger than you.
Fortunately if Scooby Doo has taught me anything it's that running is always an option ;~)
Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm I'm fairly sure that Zane was going to have a second encounter with a transformed, enhanced Luna Moth, who'd remember him less than fondly.
"Why in the hell is a supermodel trying to kill us?"
"Well, I met her once before."
"What did you do?"
"I didn't do anything, she was old and crazy, thought I was the Raven and tried to murder me."
"So then why is she trying to kill us?"
"Well, I met her once before."
And once is often enough!

;~)
Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm Charlie would probably be called upon to fight off a whole small army of deep ones.
She'd be downright giddy.
Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm Donnie's stoicism would be pushed to the limit -- I have this image of a group of nutcases hissing (one word per nutcase) "her name is Mallory".
:shock:

Wouldn't want to be anywhere near that when it happens.
Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pmRobin would probably get swallowed by something again.
Bwa ha ha ha hahahahaha!

Davies wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm And Zalman, as already mentioned, would be faced with a killing choice.
I don't envy that choice.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:48 pm Davies wrote: ↑
Mon May 08, 2017 5:01 pm
Charlie would probably be called upon to fight off a whole small army of deep ones.

She'd be downright giddy.
Unless she has an undiscovered thing about fish-human hybrids. They're at least as creepy as stretchy people.