Gloriant: Age of Adventure (OOC Thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: THORPOCAVERSE FANTASY GAME - RECRUITING THREAD (UNTIL 8/17-ish)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Demonbound: Summon 5 (Heroic, Responsive; Custom: Any damage or condition inflicted on one is suffered by both, Permanent)
A thought occurs.

That custom flaw is basically a more intense version of Feedback, where rather than making a save when damage is inflicted on the manifestation of a power (in this case, the summon), the damage sharing seems to be automatic. Doesn't it seem reasonable this might count as a -2/rank flaw in that case?

It's not even my character (and the character is really cool. Nice way to make full use of the points we have), just something that stuck out to me as I was looking over the potential party members to try and find excuses to hedging down my own list of potential submissions.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 am
Demonbound: Summon 5 (Heroic, Responsive; Custom: Any damage or condition inflicted on one is suffered by both, Permanent)
A thought occurs.

That custom flaw is basically a more intense version of Feedback, where rather than making a save when damage is inflicted on the manifestation of a power (in this case, the summon), the damage sharing seems to be automatic. Doesn't it seem reasonable this might count as a -2/rank flaw in that case?

It's not even my character (and the character is really cool. Nice way to make full use of the points we have), just something that stuck out to me as I was looking over the potential party members to try and find excuses to hedging down my own list of potential submissions.
I could certainly see that. Loneclaw, if you want to make that adjustment, feel free.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So....thought process..

I think Vahn's right out. Not because he's a bad character, but he's very goal focused in a more selfish way. I could see him being resistant to participating in a quest that doesn't involve his personal goals. It's as good a reason as any to help narrow my choices down.

Nameless, I like him conceptually, despite needing a bit more background work, but I think he works best in a party that doesn't include any of the monks. not that he wouldn't get along with him, but it potentially slants the tone of the party.

Leaves Jade and Enyu. Both have pretty open-ended motivations meaning they won't have much in the way of conflict with the direction of the party. Where Jade is a bit lacking in self confidence and has some legitimate issues, Enyu is kind of... light incarnate in a sense. Warm, kind, gentle, etc.

I think, before I decide to settle on one, I'll see if maybe I can combine them concepts into one while maintaining a good level of quality on the details. Because mechanically I think they would both be fun and interesting to play, but they also have very different dynamics as well..
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Why not make Jade's other Half Assimar instead of Elf? Best of both builds... ;)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:04 am Why not make Jade's other Half Assimar instead of Elf? Best of both builds... ;)
The main reason is the ancient hatred of elves and orcs. Creates a very nice inner turmoil for her, as well as a bit wider complication, though, to be fair, the elf side of it is weaker for that particular aspect. Granted, I'm also not sure that exists in Gloriant, but it's pretty common in fantasy.

In any case, it is something that has crossed my mind. The tricky part is fusing the builds though.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Here's what i do on particularly tough decision's like this: If you have the builds wrote(re:Drafted) out,underline what you like about each that catches your eye,then add up all the ones marked.If it's under the PL Thorpe set,add untill you either go over or hit number making the adjustment's as you go....Hope this helps. :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 am Here's what i do on particularly tough decision's like this: If you have the builds wrote(re:Drafted) out,underline what you like about each that catches your eye,then add up all the ones marked.If it's under the PL Thorpe set,add untill you either go over or hit number making the adjustment's as you go....Hope this helps. :)
I am trying a few different methods, but I'll toss this one on the pile. :)
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:21 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 am
A thought occurs.

I could certainly see that. Loneclaw, if you want to make that adjustment, feel free.
Thanks, I will! :D
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

”Character Sheet” wrote:
Name: Jegherda “Jade”
Class: Rogue / Radiant Dancer
Race: Half Aasimar/Orc “Fair One”
Height: 5’6”
Weight: ~90lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Green
Alignment: Chaotic Good (Jade values her freedom sharply, but possesses a kind heart)
Languages: Common, Celestial, Orcish
Power Level: 5
Power Points: [80/80]
Hero Points: 2
[12]ABI [10]DEF [14]SKI [14]ADV [30]POW
[12] Abilities
Strength: 1
Stamina: 0
Agility: 4
Dexterity: 0
Fighting: 0
Intellect: -1
Awareness: 2
Presence: 0
[*]Combat[*]
Initiative: +2
Unarmed: +1 DC15 Tgh
[10] Defenses
Toughness: +1 (0+1 / +2)- +3 while Dancing
Dodge: +5 (4+1 / +2)- +7 while Dancing
Parry: +1 (0+1 / +6)- +7 while Dancing
Fortitude: +5 (0+5)
Will: +5 (2+3)
[14] Skills (28sp)
Acrobatics 6(+10), Athletics 4(+5), C.C. (Dances) 3(+3), Deception 5(+5/+10 Attractive), Insight 3(+5), Perception 3(+5), Persuasion 0(+0/+5 Attractive), Stealth 4(+8)
[14] Advantages
Agile Feint, Attractive (2), Benefit (2) (Agile Dancer, Burglar), Equipment (1), Great Endurance, Improved Feint, Languages (1) (Common, Celestial, Base: Orc), Move-by Attack, Quickdraw, Set-up, Skill Mastery (Athletics), Tough
Agile Dancer = Substitute Acrobatics in place of Expertise: Dancing for skill checks involving performing dances.
Burglar = Substituted Stealth in place of Technology for checks involving opening locks.
[5/5] Equipment
Wealth: 8
(1) Backpack (Equipment storage)
(2) Knife (Strength-based Damage 1, Dangerous)
(1) Rations (Negates Starvation for 20 days)
(1) Waterskin (Negates Thirst for 2 days; Refillable)
[30] Powers
Racial
[ 4pp] Blended Senses: Senses 5 (Detect Celestials [Mental, Ranged], Darkvision)
[ 5pp] Blended Physiology: Immunity 10 (Necrotic Damage, Radiant Damage), Limited (Half Effect)

Rogue
[ 1pp] Sneak Attack: Enhanced Advantage 2 (Improved Critical 2 (Knives), Limited (Vulnerable or Defenseless Targets))

Radiant Dancer
[ 4pp] Refulgent Armor: Protection 2, Limited (While dancing) Linked to Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 2, Parry 6), Limited (While Dancing), Noticeable

[ 5pp] Glowing Vitality: Regeneration 10, Limited (While dancing)

Dances
[ 7pp] Dance of Incandescent Blade: Strength-Based Damage 7, Improved Critical 2, Check Required (Acrobatics; DC11 - 17), Quirk (Must have a drawable light weapon)
(AE)[ 1pp] Dance of the Luminescent Shield: Deflect 7, Check Required (Acrobatics; DC11 - 17)
(AE)[ 1pp] Dance of Luminous Grace: Healing 8, Empathic, Check Required (Acrobatics; DC11 - 19)

[ 2pp] Dance of Flashing Steps: Speed 1 Linked to Concealment 2 (Normal vision), Check Required (Acrobatics; DC13)
”Complications:” wrote: Motivation (Acceptance) - Jade doesn't know who her parents are as she was the result of a forced union and immediately tossed to the orc horde fodder corps. Since escaping there, she's sought for somewhere to belong. Issues involving family (A missing daughter, a kidnapped father, etc) can also be a soft spot to spur her to action as family is something she privately laments not having (though not necessarily intent on seeking her biological parents, seeing it as a pointless exercise with her mother likely a slave and her father one of any number of orcs that would just as readily throw her back into the corps).

Prejudice (Orc-spawn) - While Jade does not share the bulky frame of even female orcs, she still looks enough like an orc to be easily identified as half-orc, which can cause problems in areas with prejudices against orcs. Orcs of the main horde will also treat her as a blood traitor, and target her specifically.

Poor Self Esteem - Despite having earned her own freedom by escaping the orc fodder corps and gaining some confidence through learning the Dancing Star discipline, Jade still suffers issues regarding her self-worth and as such is particularly prone to falling prey to manipulations that bring her self-worth into question.

Dancer - Jade’s dances require her, unsurprisingly, to be able to dance. If Jade’s ability to move is significantly affected, she is unable to dance. This includes wearing heavy clothing, armor, being encumbered or carrying anything that cannot be held one-handed, significantly difficult terrain (though she CAN dance while balancing on a narrow surface if she is not needing to press to a wall, such as on a ship rigging beam). Basically, there are circumstances where Jade cannot dance that don’t otherwise prevent her from taking different actions.

Dancer's Code - The Dancing Star discipline is a martial art meant to protect and heal, not to harm. While the practitioner (known as a 'Dancer') is not obligated to pacifism, nor to protect foes under attack by others, they may not use the discipline with the intent of inflicting lasting, lethal harm. Should the Dancer succumb to harmful intent (through action or emotional state), their connection to the radiance that the discipline draws from is weakened until they take the time to center themselves and reconnect to the radiance? A foe being immune to non-lethal damage is no excuse and attempts to use the Dancing Star techniques lethally will still result in weakened powers. (Using ANY lethal attack will result in all Jade's Discipline powers and dances being weakened by half until she can spend 1 hour in quiet meditation to recenter and reconnect herself.)

Radiance Powered - The Dancing Star draws its power from an extradimensional posative energy. In a place that is strongly attuned to negative energy, Dancers have a harder time drawing forth power and their Dances are weakened. In such an area, all Discipline powers and dance effect ranks are halves until the Dancer leaves the area, or somehow balances out the negative energy with posative energy.
”Background:” wrote: Jegherda’s circumstances are not exactly happy ones. She was born to a slave in an orc camp and almost immediately taken from the care of her mother. She never knew who her mother, or her father for that matter. Once she was strong enough to hold a dagger, she was tossed into the horde fodder camps to be trained up.

Life was hard, and Jegherda had to persevere through many hardships, punishments, and injustices, but she bided her time. Eventually, she was able to pass herself off as a scout, not a job normally given to untrusted fodder, but using that she was able to escape.

On foot with little supplies, Jegherda would not last long and eventually collapsed as she tried to put as much distance between herself and the fodder camps as possible. Fortunately, she was discovered by a wanderer named Vylla. Vylla took Jegherda and brought her back to health. When she woke, Vylla introduced himself as a Dancer, practitioner of a martial discipline called the Dancing Star that promoted protecting and healing others.

As it turned out, Jegherda possessed an innate connection to what Vylla called the radiance. A source of power drawn from positive energy that Dancers use in their martial dances. He agreed to teach Jegherda the Dancing Star, as means to instill in her confidence to find her place in the world, now that she had won her freedom.

Vylla also gave Jegherda her new name, Jade, and after a year of training, Jade struck out to indeed find her place in the vast world and to search for adventure along the way, to sharper her dancing skills and further reinforce her confidence and bask in her freedom.
Why are you adventuring?: Jade adventures to explore her freedom after escaping the fodder corp, to learn about the world, and to find herself a place in it.

Why might you have to be away?: Jade is originally a scout and might scout another area or hang back to watch the party's backs for any persuers only to catch up to the group later on.

Why might you have to leave?: The orcs Jade escaped from did not take kindly to the insult of it, so if Jade were to catch wind of a hunting party that sounded like it may be looking for her, she would got to ground laying low and try to shake the trail, not expecting the party to protect her from an actual horde of orcs.
”Personality:” wrote: Jade can come off as a bit shy when it comes to people she doesn’t know, but definitely has confidence in her skills as a Dancer. Lacking more than the absolute basics of an education though, she tends to defer the thinking to others but is sharp enough to detect when she is being lied to or taken advantage of.

She does suffer a lack of self-esteem when confronted with her orc heritage, even if being complimented on her reasonably good looks if the compliment has to do with her skin primarily.
”Party Role:” wrote: Jade is actually quite versatile, functioning as a fair jack-of-all-trades when it comes to her role in the party. Aside from skills and ranged combat, Jade can aid her allies fairly well in melee combat either with a feint and Set-Up or attacking herself. She lacks ranged abilities but can switch to a defensive tactic using Luminescent Shield and Luminous Grace dances to defend and heal allies.

She does lack in skills, for a rogue, but she does have enough stealth (along with the Burglar advantage and Dance of Flashing Steps) to get in and out of places unseen and unhindered by simpler locks.
”Power Profile:” wrote: Dancing is the core of most of Jade’s kit, aside from Sneak Attack and her Racial powers. “While Dancing” means Jade must use one of her dances during her turn to maintain the Refulgent Armor and Glowing Vitality.

Dance of Incandescent Blade is actually an iaido technique where she draws, slashes and sheathes her weapon like a flash of light while the blade in that instant is coated in radiant energy. [For descriptors, this is still a knife weapon attack, but does not use the stats of Jade’s equipment)

Dance of Luminescent Shield is a defensive dance that causes numerous glowing shields of solidified radiant energy to form into existence. These small shields can’t be wielded but manage to foul up incoming attacks within her range.

Dance of Luminous Grace is empathic, but Glowing Vitality slowly recovers the damage she takes onto herself, so long as she keeps dancing.
”Impressions” wrote: ANKARA: She’s a lot like me, but a lot more confident and doesn’t seem to have suffered the same things I did.
BEAR: He’s… a bear. A talking… bear. Don’t make him mad.
BEREND: He seems like someone I could learn some useful skills from if he didn’t always seem like he was ready to chew someone out for something.
KHU-AMON: He’s a wizard, which is intimidating enough, but I kind of wish he’d stop looking at me like that…
LEMIDORA: I’ve heard that tortle are very wise and this one doesn’t change that perception.
TAE-PHOON: How does he seem to fight better when drunk?! I just feel ill after drinking too much.
TAL’ENDIR: His magic is intimidating. Unlike with wizards that incant and gesture, he just says a few words and suddenly enemies are in pain. Scary.
ZEZZAKA: She seems distant all the time, yet despite that detachment somehow still comes off as addicted to battle. It’s a little unsettling.
”Additional:” wrote: Fair One (Half Orc/Half Aasimar) - 16pp
ATTRIBUTES: +1 Str, +1 Pre
SKILLS: -None-
ADVANTAGES: Attractive, Language (1) (Celestial, Common, Base: Orc)
[ 5pp] Blended Senses: Senses 5 (Detect Celestials [Mental, Ranged], Darkvision, Scent [Acute])
[ 5pp] Blended Physiology: Immunity 10 (Necrotic Damage, Radiant Damage), Limited (Half Effect)

An example of a Dancer in action
Vylla
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Camus

Post by Camus »

changed the limited from sand to sand containing substrates [most soils, except humid clay rich or rocky soils]
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm changed the limited from sand to sand containing substrates [most soils, except humid clay rich or rocky soils]
Things don't contain sand so much as become sand, and it comes from rock and mineral sources, though sand can be found in soil.

Maybe what you want is "soft earth and sand"?

Edit: realizing I may have misunderstood what you meant by "Sand containing substrates"... >_>

Earth that has sand mixed in, not earth that has sand has a natural component. So "substrates containing sand"
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

It pains me to say this, but I'm going to be busier than I had anticipated over the next weeks, so I'm afraid I have to bow out of this one. :(
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Loneclaw wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:44 pm It pains me to say this, but I'm going to be busier than I had anticipated over the next weeks, so I'm afraid I have to bow out of this one. :(
Waah! I'm gonna miss being introduced to Demon-possessed Anne of Green Gables.... :cry:
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm
Camus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm changed the limited from sand to sand containing substrates [most soils, except humid clay rich or rocky soils]
Things don't contain sand so much as become sand, and it comes from rock and mineral sources, though sand can be found in soil.

Edit: realizing I may have misunderstood what you meant by "Sand containing substrates"... >_>

Earth that has sand mixed in, not earth that has sand has a natural component. So "substrates containing sand"
Ah, it must be the other way around in english heh.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:33 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Ah, it must be the other way around in english heh.
The way you said it would have been fine with a hyphen as "sand-containing substrates" making it an adjective, but that is still an awkward way to phrase it.

Still, setting your limitation to soft earth and sand would probably be simpler than worrying about the specific sand content in a given area's substrate.