Gloriant: Age of Adventure (OOC Thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Thorpocalypse

Re: THORPOCAVERSE FANTASY GAME - RECRUITING THREAD (UNTIL 8/23-ish)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 am Cool rogue MacynSnow! Might I suggest that you change the Linited on the backstab to Vulnerable opponents? It makes for less dice rolling in a PbP and you can still set it up solo with an Ambush or Feint. At least that's my thought process ...

Second question, this one for Thorp, an Affliction with the flaw Instant Recovery. I take this as meaning that at the End of the Targets next turn, when they'd normally roll to resist the conditions it automatically drops. That would mean you could Surge to take advantage of the inflicted conditions, and any allies who act after you but before the target could do the same?

Just checking as I go into build mode. :)
First off, way to put my wordiness on that flaw for the backstab mechanic into one word, Ghost. I should have just said that months ago with my rogue builds. Thanks.

Second, on your Instant Recovery question, that's how I interpreted it. I mainly use it for Afflictions where the target is knocked prone so the target can stand up the next round. If it would be something like a high gravity effect where the target was continually being forced to be prone, I wouldn't have that flaw. So yes, you could use Extra Effort for an additional action and clobber the target while they're down. Would be a very smart tactic. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 pm
Plan b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm I'm considering pitching an awakened bear as a "barbarian".

Just thought i ask if the concept was ok before building it.
Only if you make it a BarBEARian. ;)
This is only the beginning of the unbearable puns.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm So for Eladrin (mentioned in the Shadar-Kai writeup), just use High Elf with an Unreliable (5 uses)Teleport?

I have a couple of ideas, mined from 4e and 5e character files- I just have to see which ones can be built M&M style with this PL budget.

1. High elf/eladrin Swordmage (Elegant, courtly)
2. Tabaxi scout/ninja
3. Human ranger (think Dora Milaje, with a dose of lion lycanthrope)
4. Human priestess of the sun god/Sun Soul monk
5. Elven archer
Adding that Teleport to the High Elf template is fine by me, pathfinderq1. I like all those options. An elven archers are always fun.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Plan b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:04 pm
Plan b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm I'm considering pitching an awakened bear as a "barbarian".

Just thought i ask if the concept was ok before building it.
things are definitely going to get a bit grizzly around here :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 pm
Plan b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:04 pm

things are definitely going to get a bit grizzly around here :P
Just BEAR in mind,for it to be any good it has to have the BEAR minimum of lines....;)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:34 am I am working on narrowing down 3, maybe 4 potential ideas...

Doing mock build ups to see if I can even build them on the point budget, which if I can't means the concept is probably too strong for the PL. >_>
Well, so far the mockups work great for pl5/80pp. Anything I've done at pl6/60pp felt bland.
The PL6/60 option was kind of meant for the "bland" character. If someone just wanted to play a straight forward tank or blaster, it works. If you want some real flavor, the extra 20 pts make a big difference.

All of your options sound good to me. Playing a healer can be challenging, no doubt. I'm the cleric in my FTF D&D group and either I'm the first target of the monster or I can't use any of my other spells because our strikers need me to come up and heal so it's a pretty defined role. With MnM speedier heal times and the Recover option, plus the ability to add self-healing or regen when you build, it's not as necessary of a role as it is in D&D. But it certainly never hurts to have one.
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

I just want to ensure that we're ok with the idea that Dark doesn't necessarily mean Evil.

As the concept is a High Elf who was dispossessed during Montarrio's razing of the Elven Kingdoms, having lost his people, his family and faced with centuries of despair he sought to end his own life. In so doing he was visited by an emissary of the Raven Queen who promised him that he would meet his family, in time, but until then a greater fate awaited him.

In essence he would be an Elven Paladin of the Raven Queen, while she IS a Goddess of Death, Fate is also a portion of her aspect. Torture, murder, cruelty are anathema to her nature, as is necromancy, which is a subversion of death, something she relentlessly pursues.

Does that sound like it would work in the setting?
Plan b

THE BEST CHARACTER

Post by Plan b »

Bear

Archtype: Barbearian
Height:8'2
Weight:1300 lbs
Hair:Deep Brown
Eyes:Black
Race: Brown Bear
Alignment: Good
Relations: Unknown
Base of Operation:Mobile
Affiliations: Nature, (Unamed Adventuring Party)
Reason For Adventuring: Curiosity, Bear's new found intelligence has left him many questions about life, the world and his place in it
Why he may have to be Away: Bear found an intresting new smell, and went to find out what it was.
Why he might have to leave: Bears awakening not have been as permanent as first thought.

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 7, STAMINA 7, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY -2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT -1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+13/+15), Perception 4 (+6),

ADVANTAGES: Benefit: Brute (may use strenght instead of presence for intimidate), Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Unbalancing Strike

POWERS:
Bear Size: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass, Reach [5 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Bear Hide: Immunity 1 (Environmental Cold); 4 pts
Bear Senses: Senses 5 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Acute, Extended, Ranged, Tracking]); 5 pts
Ursine Movement: Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr); 1 pt
Claws: Improved Critical (Unarmed) 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +0
Close Attack +5 [ Claws +7]
Ranged Attack -2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:

Disability: Clawed paws cannot easily manipulate objects.

Prejudice: Talking Bear are an oddity even in a world of magic

Force of Nature: Bear is driven to protect place's of natural importance, and destory un-natural creatures such as abberation, deamons and undead.

Abilities 18 + Skills 6 (13 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 20 + Defenses 12 = 60 / 60

Background:

Bear remembers little before before he was awakened, he remembers the druid who found him, he remembers when he the druid was there no more hunger, he remembers he was fond of the druid although as memory of why, and remembers his awakening. It was autumn, in a grove where red leaves fell. The druid painted runes into his fur and ground then began chant, Bear didn't care the druid did strange things often. As night fell, the druid finished his chants. During the night thoughts and dreams came to Bear. In the morning the druid spoke to Bear and for the first time Bear understood he asked what happened, why he could understand the druid and the druid could now understand him.

The druid explained the land was in danger, i there was group a cult of deamon trying to open a gate to the lower planes and he needed Bears help, he'd made bear stronger and smarter so he'd be able to overcome the fear the unnatural presence would cause. Bear didn't really understand but after a lot of questions agreed. Eventully the two of the them track down the cult, the battle was fierce but they were victorious however not without cost, the dark and curses had taken its tole on the druid, it was only a matter of time before curses overcame the old man. The two travelled together for almost two years before druid passed. During which time Druid and Bear had several adventures becoming minor folk heros in rural Gilthorian.
Last edited by Plan b on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Plan b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 pm Image
Bear

Background:
Coming soon.
I can't bear the wait until the background is posted. It's a sure ursine of my excitement for this concept. :)
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Sorry for the paws, you wouldn't bear-lieve the trouble i'm having with the background.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm I just want to ensure that we're ok with the idea that Dark doesn't necessarily mean Evil.

As the concept is a High Elf who was dispossessed during Montarrio's razing of the Elven Kingdoms, having lost his people, his family and faced with centuries of despair he sought to end his own life. In so doing he was visited by an emissary of the Raven Queen who promised him that he would meet his family, in time, but until then a greater fate awaited him.

In essence he would be an Elven Paladin of the Raven Queen, while she IS a Goddess of Death, Fate is also a portion of her aspect. Torture, murder, cruelty are anathema to her nature, as is necromancy, which is a subversion of death, something she relentlessly pursues.

IMO, it works perfectly well.The group is gonna need a broody Anti-Hero....
Of course,your talking to a guy who played a Charismatic Necromancer named Orpheus Spyros who worked as a Mortician(so all HIS Necromancy was perfectly legal),so i might be a bit biased...:D
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Indeed, dark doesn't necessarily mean evil, despite evil often utilizing darkness.. My edge lord Paladin idea is based on that and also a Paladin of the raven queen :p
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm thinking of using the alternative Wealth rules from the GM's guide, page 190. I'm open to input. I don't want to use a GP system, but I want the characters to be rewarded for finding treasure in less vague way than the standard Benefit (Wealth) system in 3E.

--

A character’s base Wealth rank is 8. The Benefit (Wealth) advantage (see the M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 82) increases Wealth by 4 per rank. Over the course of play, your Wealth rank may decrease as you purchase expensive items. A character’s Wealth rank can never fall below 0, and there is no limit to how high Wealth rank can climb.

If your Wealth is 0, you don’t have the buying power to purchase any item or service with a purchase DC of 10 or higher, and you can’t make routine Wealth checks (any spending is significant for you).

Wealth rank reflects buying power. Every item and service has a purchase Difficulty Class based on how expensive and hard to get it is. To purchase something, make a Wealth check against the purchase DC. As a general guideline, equipment purchase DC equals 10 + the equipment’s point cost. The GM sets the Wealth check DC for any particular purchase.

A Wealth check is a d20 roll plus your current Wealth rank. Wealth rank is fluid; it increases as you gain Wealth and decreases as you make purchases. If you succeed on the Wealth check, you purchase the item. If you fail, you can’t afford the item at this time. You can make a routine Wealth check, just like any other routine check (see M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 13). This means you can automatically purchase any item with a DC equal or less than your Wealth +10. If you purchase an item with a purchase DC higher than your current Wealth rank, your rank decreases by 1 point for every 5 points the purchase DC exceeds your current Wealth rank (1 point for 1–5 points higher, 2 points for 6–10 points higher, etc.).

You can help someone else purchase an item by making a DC 10 Wealth check, just like a team check. If the attempt is successful, you provide the purchaser with a +2 bonus on their Wealth check, +5 for three or more degrees of success. If you assist a Wealth check for an item with a purchase DC higher than your current Wealth rank, it decreases as normal.

Lost Wealth ranks or increases to Wealth ranks will be gained by locating treasure or by being paid for services.

Example: Your characters stop back in the town of Darrax where you are supposed to meet a contact about your next adventure. Each of you now have 2 ranks of Benefit (Wealth) after your last adventure for a total of +16 Wealth ranks. The local inn is renting rooms with a DC I would set at 20. No problem, routine check gets you the room with no loss of Wealth. However, Jab's Goliath woman wants the master suite which is a DC30. Jab would need to roll for it with +16 on his roll to see if he can afford the room.

----------------------

Easy enough to use? Too clunky? Let me know your thoughts.
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

I've been itching for a fantasy game for a good while now. :D

I've only skimmed through the setting so far and my character concept is a bit unorthodox, so I'm going to have to ask for your go-ahead before I start making the build.

So here's the basic idea: after being saved from a demon-worshiping cult, a village girl finds herself somehow bound to a weakened demoness. Any damage taken by one is suffered by both, and neither of them can do anything that the other doesn't want her to. As such, they are forced to work together if they are to have any hope of finding a way to sever their bond.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm I just want to ensure that we're ok with the idea that Dark doesn't necessarily mean Evil.

You are correct in that assumption. I jokingly use the term "woke world" for my setting, but I definitely don't want it to be a black/white, you're either good or evil setting. What you propose is cool with me.

Plus, there are rumors that followers of Montarrio have resurfaced and have been lurking around the territories outside of the King's Patrol area planning something so I would think your character would have an interest in finding out and stopping whatever that might be.