Gloriant: Age of Adventure (OOC Thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Re: Gloriant: Age of Adventure (OOC Thread)

Post by Jabroniville »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:11 pm So Ankara is a genre-savvy, even Deadpoolish character?
heh- I thought it would be funny to have her know about adventuring only through reading about it, so would pick up on only the outward things and cliches, and none of the spirit of it. Instead of being self-referential like Deadpool, she's kind of this combination of clueless but utterly sure of herself :).
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm going to give Ghost a day or so to respond to my IM, if not, I'll NPC him for the rest of the encounter and if real life has swallowed him, I'll send Tal'endir on another quest.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

.I hate ta ask ye Trailblazer,but can you pull a double shift?Specifically First&last.If'n it's a Goblin Raiding party,they'll hit us either first or last,depending on what High Mobb Boss Krenko feels like...
Macyn, who is Trailblazer? and who is Krenko?
"Something pithy this way comes."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm
.I hate ta ask ye Trailblazer,but can you pull a double shift?Specifically First&last.If'n it's a Goblin Raiding party,they'll hit us either first or last,depending on what High Mobb Boss Krenko feels like...
Macyn, who is Trailblazer? and who is Krenko?
The term "Trailblazer"(at least in-game from what i understand) refer's to Wolkenstradh Rangers/Scouts. In real life,there's a Magic:The Gathering card from the Shadows over Innestrad/Eldritch Moon block set called Cathar Trailblazer(it's ability allows you to hunt through your deck for a land card every time you Investigate,which was a big mechanic in the set). I figured since Thorp used MTG for some of his setting info it was cool to use titles/slang from the set he based Wolfenstradh on...

As for who Krenko is,he's a Goblin 'Warchief' used a lot whenever WoC goes to the City setting Ravnica.Here's what he looks like(if the image'll take...)
Last edited by MacynSnow on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

So if you meant Trailblazer to refer to Lena, then apparently Lena didn't know if, she went to bed.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Nope- Lena knew, agreed, and is trying to catch a little bit of sleep BEFORE the watches start (while everyone is setting up camp, having dinner and so on). She asked to be awakened when the actual watch rotation starts.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Cool. I read it different. If we're good we're good.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Heh. I've played a little MtG, and Krenko was the terror of my Goblin deck. If I got him out, it was all but over. If I can't just attack for whatever reason, I sit behind a wall of goblins who can soak up damage until I get some other cards that can do direct damage and win. I like Voracious Dragon personally, but things like Burn at the Stake and Goblin War Strike do some terrifying damage and the Shrine of Burning Rage makes for some nice, slow build-up of impending doom. :mrgreen:

Not a perfect deck by any stretch. Has virtually no counter-play and its only real protection is having tons of goblins out to soak attacks. Its strength is in playing fast and overwhelming players in the early game, though deck-wise, it's kind of weak against decks that lockdown summoning. :P
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 pm Heh. I've played a little MtG, and Krenko was the terror of my Goblin deck. If I got him out, it was all but over. If I can't just attack for whatever reason, I sit behind a wall of goblins who can soak up damage until I get some other cards that can do direct damage and win. I like Voracious Dragon personally, but things like Burn at the Stake and Goblin War Strike do some terrifying damage and the Shrine of Burning Rage makes for some nice, slow build-up of impending doom. :mrgreen:

Not a perfect deck by any stretch. Has virtually no counter-play and its only real protection is having tons of goblins out to soak attacks. Its strength is in playing fast and overwhelming players in the early game, though deck-wise, it's kind of weak against decks that lockdown summoning. :P
I'm currently running a 'Gimmick' deck: a Black/Red/Blue Pirate Treasure generator i call "The Golden Fleet".The idea for it is generating Treasure artifact tokens,which read "Sacrifice this artifact:Add 1 mana of Any color to your mana pool".Combine this with a Black card called Revel in Riches(4 of any color &1 black mana,Enchantment spell) which reads: "Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies,create a colorless Treasure artifact token.At the beginning of your upkeep,if you control 10 or more treasures,you win the game".So ounce i start generating Treasure tokens,your on a 10 count Defcon before you lose... :mrgreen:

Main problem i tend to run into is time.If my opponent hit's me fast enough,i can't fet my win conditions out in time.It also doesn't play within the stack any,as it just doesn't have enough counter-cards in it. :P
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 pm Heh. I've played a little MtG, and Krenko was the terror of my Goblin deck. If I got him out, it was all but over. If I can't just attack for whatever reason, I sit behind a wall of goblins who can soak up damage until I get some other cards that can do direct damage and win. I like Voracious Dragon personally, but things like Burn at the Stake and Goblin War Strike do some terrifying damage and the Shrine of Burning Rage makes for some nice, slow build-up of impending doom. :mrgreen:

I'm currently running a 'Gimmick' deck: a Black/Red/Blue Pirate Treasure generator i call "The Golden Fleet".The idea for it is generating Treasure artifact tokens,which read "Sacrifice this artifact:Add 1 mana of Any color to your mana pool".Combine this with a Black card called Revel in Riches(4 of any color &1 black mana,Enchantment spell) which reads: "Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies,create a colorless Treasure artifact token.At the beginning of your upkeep,if you control 10 or more treasures,you win the game".So ounce i start generating Treasure tokens,your on a 10 count Defcon before you lose... :mrgreen:

Main problem i tend to run into is time.If my opponent hit's me fast enough,i can't fet my win conditions out in time.It also doesn't play within the stack any,as it just doesn't have enough counter-cards in it. :P
Krenko + Purphoros = Amazing. Big time combo for one of my EDH decks.
Formerly luketheduke86
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jeeze yes. Might as well scoop once that combo is down, unless you've got something to deal with one or both of them right away in a permanent manner.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Stupid MTG Arena is part of the reason I've been slow to post at times and the J-Mart is getting dusty... :oops:

Fortunately it's going to Open Beta next week so the servers will be down for 3 days so I will actually be able to focus on other areas of my life again.

At least until next weekend when it comes back up with the new set when I will be drafting and building janky standard decks until my eyes fall out of my head since the Mrs. Thorpocalypse will be out of town and I will have no one to stop me. :twisted:
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:43 am Stupid MTG Arena is part of the reason I've been slow to post at times and the J-Mart is getting dusty... :oops:

Fortunately it's going to Open Beta next week so the servers will be down for 3 days so I will actually be able to focus on other areas of my life again.

At least until next weekend when it comes back up with the new set when I will be drafting and building janky standard decks until my eyes fall out of my head since the Mrs. Thorpocalypse will be out of town and I will have no one to stop me. :twisted:
So what type of Decks do you like to run on Arena and is it any good?
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:43 am Stupid MTG Arena is part of the reason I've been slow to post at times and the J-Mart is getting dusty... :oops:

So what type of Decks do you like to run on Arena and is it any good?
Speaking of which, I'm trying to export my deck lists and grind out some more stuff before the servers go down so I PROMISE I will get the game moving again tomorrow. ;)

I am, and never will be good at the game so I've tinkered with lots of decks for fun. I've put my money into a Mono Green Stompy deck and a Black/White Knights deck, both of which I have pretty good win percentages with so far. I love to play control decks but I miss too many opportunities to counter and I have a hard time visualizing good combos without netdecking. Playing lots of creatures is my wheelhouse, be they big or small.

And this is just my personal opinion, but I love Arena. Here's the caveats, though:

* I am a total casual and I just started playing around the release of Khans of Tarkir (2014 I think) so I don't have much investment in older cards. Arena at the moment only has card sets back to Kaladesh and after the closed beta wipe which starts on Monday, they'll only have the standard legal sets which go back to Ixalan.

* The interface is a lot better than Magic Online with character animations and voice overs from the planeswalkers and some of the legendary creatures. So visually it's a lot more modernized.

* The click and drag is more intuitive than Magic Online. And the tutorial is good. It walks you through the steps and when you win the first 5 games against the AI, you get a different colored deck for each win and at least at the beginning levels, it's competitive enough for you to a win a little bit before you have to start upgrading by either buying gems which you can use for cards or by grinding out wins and completing quests to win more packs.

* The big flaws are...

* No card trading (yet). You want a card, you have hope for it in a pack or use a wildcard that comes in every few packs that you can use to get a card you want, but the Mythic and Rare wildcards are pretty few and far between so have to keep opening packs, which is what Wizards wants so they can get more $$$.

* No friend finder (yet). You just get randomly thrown in with other players of your advancement level, which is fine for the beta phase but that's been the biggest request that I've seen for full release.

* Lack of formats. No Brawl, No Commander, No modern, no pauper. Just standard and draft. Sealed is happening with the open beta next weekend. That doesn't bother me because like I said, I'm pretty casual so just drafting and standard is enough for me.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

My favorite green card has to be Primordial Hydra. This thing is an absolute beast! Doubling Season just makes it so much scarier. I had this thing boosted to 10k+ life and damage before (And couldn't attack with it because my friend was playing a lockdown deck which basically just said I don't get to make attacks.. >_<), but all the while my Hydra was getting stronger (I also had an Orochi Hatchery out, so I was making a ton of stupidly powerful snakes.... Vorel of the Hull Clade is amazing for anything that uses counters, and Doubling Season pairs so well with it too)

For obvious reasons, I called this deck "Hail Hydra" ;)

The deck is all about +1/+1 counters and making an absolutely disgusting number of them. It could also manage an infinite mana, infinite draw and infinite life gain egine with Staff of Dominance and Gyre Sage with some counters on it.

The deck required some luck, and like many of my decks is more focused on pulling off its own mechanic over stopping my opponent from doing stuff, so is kind of weak to lockdown tactics, but I've had some good success with it.