Interest Thread: MnM 3E - Thorpocaverse Fantasy Game

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Interest Thread: MnM 3E - Thorpocaverse Fantasy Game

Post by MacynSnow »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:42 pm I know it's almost universally reviled, but my old table top crew loved 4E, and I had a Mountain Dwarf Guardian who was so fun to play!

Though I kind of deconstructed the dwarven stereotypes with him which made it even more interesting.
I thought 4e was a great attempt at branching the Game out(certain Classes got Op'd fairly easily in 3-3.5,IMHO),it was increadibly well-balanced and gave us the "Theme Templates" back from Advanced&2e....True it did kindof have an MMORPG vibe to some of it,but i thought it was a small price to pay for a good system.

With Talnoth,i made him the 'Black Sheep' of his family(after an 'incident' involving his little Sister) by refusing to use the 'typical Dwarf' weapons&armors.I also made him increadibly cynical and mildly paranoid...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'll actually need to rescend that interest on making a character, as my girlfriend pointed out I'm in a few too many games as it is. :oops:

I'd still be happy to make a map on the other hand, it's a lot of fun working things out. Would make me feel less like I'm attempting to bribe you as well.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:00 am I like low-powered and Fantasy games are awesome.
Right?! It forces people to get creative! Love it!
Depending on how you set your Magic System(Hard Style: basically Harry Potter or AvatarTLAB/Kora or Soft Style: think Original Thundercats or He-Man/She-Ra) and how well it jells with your world setting,it can be Fantastic.It also forces you to play outside the "Comfort Zone" of PL 10/150 games...
Sometimes it backfires when players try to build the most powerful, game-altering character they can with the low-PL, few-points. But you get those in any system.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am Depending on how you set your Magic System(Hard Style: basically Harry Potter or AvatarTLAB/Kora or Soft Style: think Original Thundercats or He-Man/She-Ra) and how well it jells with your world setting,it can be Fantastic.It also forces you to play outside the "Comfort Zone" of PL 10/150 games...
I'm still defining it a bit but if you look at my PCs I've built to test with, I would say it's probably somewhere in the middle. For my own taste, I tried to mimic some of the classic D&D spells and give the spellcasters the ability to cast PL level+5 per day (so a PL5 character could 10 spells a day), with a Will or Fort check at DC10+Will/Fort defense to cast more once you've hit the limit. It's seemed to be a good balance between slinging away and the restrictions of something like D&D where I feel you run out of spells too quick at the lower levels.
I tried to do something similar with e tiefling alchemist I built last year. I liked some of the solutions you came up with for per/day effects.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

I'm certainly intrested.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:00 am I like low-powered and Fantasy games are awesome.
Right?! It forces people to get creative! Love it!
This
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm So what's your stance on "Gnome Guns" and the implication's thereof....?
Gloriant is a woke world and we will not abide any PCs or NPCs shooting gnomes out of guns. That's barbaric!

The occasional Fastball Special is fine, though. ;)
Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:24 pm Certainly interested, on review I'm curious on your stance in regards to Martial classes, specifically fighters and what have you.

A lot of your sample builds have a per-day array of class features, are you expecting fighters to have an array of afflictions for taunts, shield bashes, etc? Just curious from a design stand point.

Not that I have a serious concept yet, though I'd be learning towards Dragonborn Paladin, or a Human ranger type.
I added a few things for flavor to my fighter/barbarians types to mimic some of the abilities they get in D&D so I guess my answer is that my stance is that any time of attack that's more than "I swing my sword", "fire my bow", "sling my rock" would be considered a Martial power/Magic/Prayer so those types of things would be subject to the per day array rules.

Something like Castling (Teleport 1 (60 ft; Extra: Accurate [wherever ally is], Easy, Flaw: Limited to Switching Places With Ally, Medium [Ally]) or other non-attack powers I could see as Cantrips, 1-3 pt powers or Features, of which I am allowing as many as you want to pay for.

The PC's I've done are good guides for the flavor I was shooting for but I consider them all prototypes so don't think the power sets are locked down for each archetype. Odin knows I've made tons of adjustments to them since my initial runs at them and I was planning an overhaul again before I decided to start this game so we can work through whatever you decide to submit. The racial templates I will be posting I will be more of a stickler about since I do have an idea of how I want my elves, halflings, Warforged, etc. to be but on everything else, I'm pretty flexible as long as it's unbalancing or doesn't really fit the flavor of what you're shooting for. If you're going for a bard type of character and they're set up with +2 Dodge/Parry and +8 Toughness, I will probably have some feedback. Although a Bard Tank might be interesting submission... 8-)

Sounds like there's enough interest for me to start recruiting so expect a Recruiting Thread started later tonight or tomorrow. Keep those questions coming!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm I'll actually need to rescend that interest on making a character, as my girlfriend pointed out I'm in a few too many games as it is. :oops:

I'd still be happy to make a map on the other hand, it's a lot of fun working things out. Would make me feel less like I'm attempting to bribe you as well.
Doc, let me tell you something. As a married man of 21 years, there are times when you have to take a deep breath, stand up tall and proud, walk right over to your woman, look her dead in the eye and sternly say:

Yes, dear. :oops:

No problem. If you change your mind, the recruiting thread will be up for a bit and I wouldn't let your potential assistance weigh into your possible selection for the game if I get more submissions that I want to run with. Now if there was beer involved, that would be a different story. ;)
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Would it be feasible to build high Protection armor, Plate & Full Plate for example with reduced Dodge & Parry to simulate the mobility vs protection trade off provided by heavier armors?

And while we won't have a point budget until the recruitment thread goes up at PL 5 or 6 we should be considered heroic adventurers? Basically we're seasoned and may even have access to minor magic items?

Again just curious, concepts are starting to filter through my brain.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:08 pm Would it be feasible to build high Protection armor, Plate & Full Plate for example with reduced Dodge & Parry to simulate the mobility vs protection trade off provided by heavier armors?

And while we won't have a point budget until the recruitment thread goes up at PL 5 or 6 we should be considered heroic adventurers? Basically we're seasoned and may even have access to minor magic items?

Again just curious, concepts are starting to filter through my brain.
Yes on the Protection. I'd like to keep the tradeoffs at 3 though, I think. So if you're PL5 you could have +2 Dodge/Parry, +8 Toughness. At PL6 it would be +3 Dodge/Parry, +9 Toughness. Same in the reverse, you could have +8 Dodge/Parry, +2 Toughness at PL5, +9 Dodge/Parry and +3 Toughness at PL6.

I would prefer the adventurers to at least be neutral-ish to heroic. I'd like to avoid eeeeeeeeeeeeevil characters as PCs at the moment. I'm working on the racial templates now (there's several, which is why the recruitment post might not be up until tomorrow) so don't let traditional alignments stop you from picking a race. If you want to be a heroic Orc or Goblin, have at it.

No magic weapons at this point but magical trinkets, like a necklace that casts Light (Environment 1 [Light]), a hover disc (Flight 1), a Ring of Feather Fall (Movement 1 [Safe Fall]) or Bag of Holding or something like that is fine.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:08 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm I'll actually need to rescend that interest on making a character, as my girlfriend pointed out I'm in a few too many games as it is. :oops:

Doc, let me tell you something. As a married man of 21 years, there are times when you have to take a deep breath, stand up tall and proud, walk right over to your woman, look her dead in the eye and sternly say:

Yes, dear. :oops:

No problem. If you change your mind, the recruiting thread will be up for a bit and I wouldn't let your potential assistance weigh into your possible selection for the game if I get more submissions that I want to run with. Now if there was beer involved, that would be a different story. ;)
:lol:

I'll be unsubbing from the thread for now, but feel free to shoot me a DM if you're interested. Can show you examples of my work too.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The concept I am thinking of is more the gish type. Somewhere between a duskblade and something out of book of nine swords or path of war (pathfinder 3rd party material and basically a better Book of Nine Swords)

Mechanically the overall idea is easy to achieve with low cost add ons to weapon attacks.

Having built the crusader from 3.5 book of nine swords before, it should be fully doable if it's a viable "class" for the setting.

(I have also built a 4th ed Warlock before.. and 3.5 seeker of the song bard.. and while not d&d or pathfinder inspired, Yasuko is basically a magic swordswoman)

I do have a question about the wealth system since it's not exactly inherently I fugitive and I don't own the book and the single example isn't enough to elaborate on the whole thing.

So the example shows what happens when you buy an item with a cost of one rank lower than your current wealth rank. What about buying things of even lower rank? It confuses me a bit having both a rank and coin count. And what about crafting items? Like an Expertise Blacksmith skill, would that be allowed to craft items at a reduced cost?
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 pm I do have a question about the wealth system since it's not exactly inherently I fugitive and I don't own the book and the single example isn't enough to elaborate on the whole thing.

So the example shows what happens when you buy an item with a cost of one rank lower than your current wealth rank. What about buying things of even lower rank? It confuses me a bit having both a rank and coin count. And what about crafting items? Like an Expertise Blacksmith skill, would that be allowed to craft items at a reduced cost?
I may scrap it for the game and continue to workshop it. The actual GM's Guide alternative rule is that:
A character’s base Wealth rank is 8. The Benefit (Wealth) advantage (see the M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 82) increases Wealth by 4 per rank. Decreases to base Wealth grant power points, similar to decreasing an ability: 1 point for Wealth 4, 2 points for Wealth 0. Over the course of play, your Wealth rank may decrease as you purchase expensive items.

Wealth rank reflects buying power. Every item and service has a purchase Difficulty Class based on how expensive and hard to get it is. To purchase something, make a Wealth check against the purchase DC. As a general guideline, equipment purchase DC equals 10 + the equipment’s point
cost. The GM sets the Wealth check DC for any particular purchase.

Examples: Professional services 10 + skill rank, Weapon 10 + point cost, House 30, Mansion 36.

I think that might be easier to work with. I'd just describe something like "as you search the griffons lair, you find a number of coins and gems, increase your Wealth rank by 4". That should be easier instead of what I was trying to do with the coin/rank combination. I'll figure it out before the game starts. I may just give the accepted characters a couple of Wealth ranks as "free" points once we start. Don't worry about incorporating any Wealth ranks into your builds.