D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm

The Bandit is totally fooled by Sariel's magic. "Garrison troops? This far out? Shit shit shit! To hell with this I'm out!" He drops his crossbow and is nearly tripping over himself as he rushes into the thicket.

The first goblin to retreat continues to do so without the panic of his still living allies. The last you see of him is a snarl and a fist shaken at you before he vanishes out of sight.

The Goblin facing down the rest of you has no such composure. He flees even faster than the human despite having shorter legs, running like the hounds of hell are nipping at his heels.


OOC: Bandit int check 1D20 = [6] = 6 Bandit is totally fooled by the illusion

Okay since all remaining enemies are in retreat I'm not going to draw this combat out, you've clearly beaten them. Unless any of you want to try and pursue I'm going to end it here.

As soon as I get Celestina's history check I'll give the results of that.

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 am

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Largely ignoring the goblin as it fleed, Ector reached down for a vicious metal dart he wore on his belt as he watched the crossbowman run.
Letting the man leave while he was holding that crossbow ate at him, the man had hurt him, attacked his friend, and would do it again given a chance.

But before he could attack the man had dropped the crossbow. Now he was planning on killing an unarmed man. But an unarmed man that was planning on murdering them without a chance to defend themselves.

Ector hesitated. Slog would forgive him. He glanced out of the corner of his eye at Celestina, and moved his hand away from the dart, with a faint sigh. Oh well, Slog would forgive him.

His Papa? Oh, Ector couldn't tell his Papa. He'd never forgive him!

With a grunt he jogged out, snatched up the crossbow, then jogged back, dropping it into Gatto's wagon, "Good news, Gatto, we get you souvenir."

No way was he leaving that for the bandits to retrieve.

Turning to look around, "Everyone is okay?"

Nodding he continued, "Ector will go check on others. Is chance other guards not do so well. May need Ector to put them back together."

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

OOC
D&D Tina History (int) check: 1D20+0 = [1]+0 = 1

Tina gives a shout of victory and raises her sword high as the goblin runs with his tail between his legs. Unfortunately, while very well-versed in stabbing evildoers and looking intimidating in a miniskirt, Tina paid less attention to her history lessons. Even the fearsome instructors of the Seminary and their favorite habit of cracking her on the skull were woefully inadequate to prevent a furtive afternoon nap behind the pages of the Rose and Lily Chronicles or Deeds of the 108 Saints.

"Great work, Sariel!" she calls out over her shoulder, seeing that the human bandit has wisely decided to drop his weapon and flee. "I'm with you, Ector!"

With her sword still drawn -- who knows how the other wagons have fared -- she wheels around in his direction.

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 pm

While Celestina has no idea why the word "Delian" should sound vaguely familiar to her, Sariel remembers coming across the term during her one of her many reading binges in her youth. The history book, Grand Deeds of Knightly Orders had a section on the Delian Order: an order of human Paladins founded around 1500 years ago, renown for turning the tide during a conflict known as the Fel-drake war. A lot about the Order and its lore remains a mystery to scholars since they were quite secretive for a bunch of knights.

Its very strange that a Goblin would know the name of that order of knights, especially since it was disbanded a long time ago by the standards of shorter lived races with the last knight of the order having died some seven hundred years ago.

-------------------

By the time you reach the other wagons the fighting is pretty much done. Any bandits remaining quickly flee at the sight of you coming to reinforce the Caravan guards. The middle wagon seemed to have been doing just fine, with Ludmilla's Dragon breath and Tiffany's Long bow having taken a heavy toll on the attackers leaving only one to flee. The front wagon guards had brought down two, but were being peppered with range attacks until it became clear that the guards were about to be reinforced.

Fortunately most of the wounds taken were minor; The burly Dwarf Bogdan had taken two crossbow bolts, while the Elf Guard Ruwa had taken a nasty cut where a goblin blade had slipped passed her armor.

The bodies of the fallen bandits are collected, and pockets are rummaged through. Most of their gear is extremely low quality, pretty much worthless as far as resale goes but anyone who wants an extra if shoddy weapon is welcome to them, the armor is beyond saving. The you and the other guards pool what little coin they were carrying and split it equally between you. Funny enough the human bandit Sariel spooked actually dropped his coin purse as he ran, so it was added to the pile. It comes out to about 10 silver pieces each. Not much but then if this lot had money they'd probably be in a different line of work.

The other thing of note on the bandit bodies is that each carried something that could loosely be considered a uniform or identifier. The humans all had a scarlet cloak, most of them dirty, or threadbare, but still generally uniform. The goblins all carried a handcrafted ornament with bearing some sort of goblin symbols including a pictogram of a wolf head with a mound behind it.

However figuring out what it could mean would have to wait as while the ambush was repelled it wasn't done being troublesome to your caravan. All three wagons suffered severe damage to their wheels and under-carriage. The Drivers are trying to get a sense of the extent of the Damage and clearing away to remains of the traps, while the three merchants confer together about what to do next. It seems like it could take some time.

You have some down time while things are getting sorted out, what are you doing.

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Ector largely did his job by being big, being loud, and stomping forward while yelling. How much this was effective vs the sheer numbers of people coming to assist the guards at the front? Who's to say.

But it made Ector feel good.

After checking on both Bogdan and Ruwa he offered a healing to Ruwa. It wasn't that she was a pretty elf girl, or that Ector was sweet on her, but that Ector and Bogdan knew how fragile elves were. Elves were so thin, after all, not big and powerful like dwarf or orc.

Bogdan's wounds were thankfully not mortal for the same reason Ector's hadn't been. The cheap bandits had simply shot sharpened chunks of wood at them. Had they had a broad-head on the end Ector might have lived long enough to heal himself, but Bogdan likely wouldn't have.
Ector knew the harsh truth, he'd gotten lucky. Next he'd have to be good, earn himself some money and see about getting some plate mail.

After he and his companions had offered healing, bandaging, and such he took a step back and looked at the situation.

"Is not good," Ector said, "Bandits run, but we stay. If bandits have more backup? Well, maybe more fighting?"

"Ector is thinking that we should have guards further out so they not sneak up on us again, but in sight so they don't catch them alone," He pauses before grinning, "Am also thinking is lunch. Ector should be making soup, yes?"

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 am

Arkrite wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 pm
After checking on both Bogdan and Ruwa he offered a healing to Ruwa. It wasn't that she was a pretty elf girl, or that Ector was sweet on her, but that Ector and Bogdan knew how fragile elves were. Elves were so thin, after all, not big and powerful like dwarf or orc.
Ruwa was happy to accept the healing. Even giving the half-orc a coy smile as she lifted her armor skirt to show the spot on her upper thigh where the goblin had got past her mail.

The Elf had a darker complexion than Sariel having come from farther south, when she took off her helmet and unbound it her red hair fell past her shoulders. She around Sariel's age, maybe a bit older. Although with elves that could mean anything from a few years to half a century.

"I'd say you should buy me dinner first, but then I doubt any place we could dine until we hit the big city that can match what you cook." She says as you get to work with bandage and magic. Its quick work, and she's good as new in no time.

She gives you a flirty smile as she leaves to go back on duty.
Arkrite wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 pm
Bogdan's wounds were thankfully not mortal for the same reason Ector's hadn't been. The cheap bandits had simply shot sharpened chunks of wood at them. Had they had a broad-head on the end Ector might have lived long enough to heal himself, but Bogdan likely wouldn't have.
Ector knew the harsh truth, he'd gotten lucky. Next he'd have to be good, earn himself some money and see about getting some plate mail.
Bogdan spent most of the time complaining about how annoying it was to have the bolts removed. It's not all that surprising judging from the number of scars from past wounds he's sporting, clearly he's taken his share of hits over the years. The new scars will blend right in.

The human twins laugh at his complaints as they pass by; Jackin saying "Well next time maybe consider a shield." Larkin cut in seamlessly with, "Or maybe put some metal between the bolts and your skin instead of just that leather."

The dwarf gave a grumpy snort. "Oh go stick your heads down Ludmilla's throat, you manky gits."

The twins just chuckled as they moved back to guard positions.
Arkrite wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 pm
After he and his companions had offered healing, bandaging, and such he took a step back and looked at the situation.

"Is not good," Ector said, "Bandits run, but we stay. If bandits have more backup? Well, maybe more fighting?"

"Ector is thinking that we should have guards further out so they not sneak up on us again, but in sight so they don't catch them alone," He pauses before grinning, "Am also thinking is lunch. Ector should be making soup, yes?"


The last comment gets a laugh or cheer from every Caravan guard in ear shot. You can even see Gordo's ears twitch over where the merchants are conferring. Your cooking skill has made you plenty of friends in this caravan.

But your other points are well taken, everyone is remaining extra vigilant in case the bandits that fled find their courage or worse reinforcements.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 am

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

Tina sheathed her sword, as yet unbloodied, As the rest of the bandits are driven off. Just like that, it is over. The first time she has raised arms outside of a training yard or sparring match. The crash following the adrenaline high leaves her light-headed but by the Lady she stands on her feet still. Ector's suggestion of lunch even puts a huge grin on her face. There are many, many ways this afternoon could have turned out worse.

A quick glance at the dead assailants' gear and possessions confirms her suspicions. Poorly-armed and equipped thugs, probably driven by hunger and circumstance to highway robbery. Tina is struck by a moment of hesitation. She wonders if she should be pleased that none have decided to enact some impromptu justice on the bandits or run after them in an ill-advised pursuit. Perhaps those wretched creatures would reconsider their life choices, or perhaps desperation would lead them to prey on some less well-defended band of innocents. This ambiguity unsettles her. The paladins in legends of yore always acted with such clarity, such conviction, and she struggles to find the same.

Seeing that Ector has the other wounded guards taken care of, Tina goes to see to those of their own caravan. "Sariel! Evans!" She yells. "Are you hurt?" In the rush of adrenaline wounds could pass without notice, she knew. There were even legends of knights losing whole limbs yet fighting on, loudly proclaiming them to be merely 'flesh wounds'.

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 am

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

A big smile crosses Ector's scarred face as he watches the elf walk away. He waves back as he makes his way back to Gatto's wagon.

"Ah. Is yes," Ector says to Evan as the crowd approves of the lunch suggestion, "Help Ector, yes? He needs more hands."

He starts unloading his cooking supplies from the wagon, "How is Evan doing? Looks like he was quite successful today."

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Evan Roadbound
Ysariel wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 am
Seeing that Ector has the other wounded guards taken care of, Tina goes to see to those of their own caravan. "Sariel! Evans!" She yells. "Are you hurt?" In the rush of adrenaline wounds could pass without notice, she knew. There were even legends of knights losing whole limbs yet fighting on, loudly proclaiming them to be merely 'flesh wounds'.
"No!"
Arkrite wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 am
Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

A big smile crosses Ector's scarred face as he watches the elf walk away. He waves back as he makes his way back to Gatto's wagon.

"Ah. Is yes," Ector says to Evan as the crowd approves of the lunch suggestion, "Help Ector, yes? He needs more hands."

He starts unloading his cooking supplies from the wagon, "How is Evan doing? Looks like he was quite successful today."
Evan joined the half-orc in the process. "I suppose you could define 'unscathed and killed two goblins' as successful. It still feels a strange measure to me."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns
Capricorn in Claremont Academy: The Delinquents

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

"We live, and our enemies ran after seeing your prowess," Ector says, pulling out a few small bags, a couple boxes, and a couple pots with a metal stands to hold them over a fire, "Is good day!"

"Is first fight outside training?"

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Evan Roadbound

"It's not the first time." Evan admitted. "The monastery was attacked at least once by bandits who should have known better."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns
Capricorn in Claremont Academy: The Delinquents

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Ector gives a deep belly laugh at that.

"Bandits? But what does monastery even have to steal?" He shakes his head and wipes a tear away from his eye, "Is probably for the best. Your monastery saved people from crazy bandits."

He sets up the tripods, starts a fire, and pours some water into a couple of pots, and starts going through his ingredients and spices to double check his options are right.

"Would like bread with meal, but no time. Next best thing, then. Dumplings," He says mostly to himself.

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 am

As you keep yourselves busy the three drivers finish their inspection of the wagons.

Nelly blows a long shrill whistle to get everyone's attention. The three merchants stop their conversation to listen. "Right Bosses, We've checked the damage and our inventory of repair supplies and spare parts. I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that with the repairs we can do here, these wagons won't hold together long enough to carry us all the way to the big city. To get them fully road-worthy is gonna take a stop at a proper cartwright to replace all the busted up parts. The good news is that we think with a few extra pairs of hands we can jury-rig things well enough to get us as far as the next town, we'll have to set a slower pace and the repairs might take a bit of time but between a slight delay and getting stranded out here I think the preferable option is obvious."

The merchants confer again briefly, Cyrilla says "Do what you have to in order to get us out of here. Hollowbrook isn't too far from here and I remember the village is equipped to handle all sorts of wagon and cart repairs. The extra cost and lost time will be a bother but nothing we can't handle. Borrow whatever hands you need from the caravan guard but we still need to keep a watch so try not to take more than three or four at a time."

Nelly nods and the three Drivers go about recruiting their help. Nelly and Bert approach Evan and Celestine. "Would you two mind terribly giving us a hand with the repairs. Isana's gone to fetch Ludmilla as well. We know its beneath your station Dame D'Alienor but we need someone strong of arm to help with the lifting. Normally we'd ask Bogdan but we'd rather let his wounds finish healing. And we're all badly in need of one of Ector's meals after all this." The drivers seem somewhat distress have to request someone of Celestina's breeding help with grunt work.

For Evan the request is more easily given. "Other than Miss Cyrilla you are the only one of the small folk in the caravan. Plus you're nimble and good with your hands, your help could probably cut a good deal of time off the repairs reaching the parts we can't as easily.

After Isana recruits Ludmilla to help with the repairs she briefly stops by Sariel. "If you've got a moment Miss Sariel could to take a look at this? Its the remains of the traps that damaged the wagon. Most of it looks like your common goblin make, cleverly made but with crude materials, but some bits of it seem... off. You're our only expert on scholarly matters and the arcane maybe you can make some sense of it."

---------
OOC: Okay everybody skill challenge time.

Celestina and Evan, if your willing to help with the wagon repairs:
Each of you chose an appropriate skill/ability roll to assist the repairs. Feel free to get creative.

Ector you've got some cooking to do, so roll for soup: Roll me a wisdom (plus proficiency bonus from your cooking utensils) check.

Sariel you can either examine the traps that damaged the wagons (knowledge arcana) or you come up with an alternative means of assist the others.

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 am

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel began to closely examine the remains of the trap, something was definitely off about it. If only they had gotten ahold of one intact.

OOC: Arcana check: Arcana check: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Ector hums to himself as he starts working on the soup.

First he pulled out some salted meat and threw it into one pot, less to cook and more pull as much salt out of the meat as he could. He also pulled out some dried sausages and chopped them into tiny pieces. The soup base was the bones from a bird that he been yesterday's dinner. The rest of the meal was some tubers they'd bought from a villages they'd passed through, as well as the various plants he'd been able to find over the last few days (but hadn't worked their way into another meal).

He also threw in some dried barley to help round it out a bit.

All in all it wasn't the greatest soup in existence, even with a helping of some spices from his kit. But it smelled good, and it certainly beat meal after meal of hardtack and jerkey.

Once the soup was almost done he added some dumplings to the mix and started preparing to serve. Normally everybody got similar fair servings until everybody was fed, then any leftovers were dealt with in the fairest manner he could accomplish. Today? Ector made a note that Bogdan, Ruwa and Gatto got extra shares.

Bogdan and Ruwa would need a little extra to help recover from their wounds. Feeding Gatto more kept the man content, and saved Ector time in the long run. Feed Gatto more now, or hear how Gatto would like/need more later.

It was hard to complain too much though. It was always nice when people enjoyed your cooking, after all.

Post Reply