D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 am

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

Tina nods to Gordo in thanks. "Thank you, friend. I will be on my guard against swindlers and the dishonest." And here she allows a twinkle in her eye. "I'm hardly as worldy, but I do know a thing or two dealing with sweet-tongued, charming, rakishly handsome young men."

She turns to Evan and grins. "Sir Blagettal speaks wisely. Love kindles and stokes the flame of life. Love is a many-splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. If I may be so bold to venture suggestions," she cheekily adds, "I would look for love first, and enlightenment after." It was a belief of some learned men that the absence of emotion facilitated reason. The Church would answer that they both walked hand in hand and that rationalism was strengthened by the fire of passion.

The others talk about their goals but Tina remains silent about her own. The house of Alienor is reputable but has never been especially noteworthy. In the twenty years since her parents vanished on Crusade -- unfortunate, but not unheard of -- its fortunes have not much improved despite Miguel's valiant efforts. Her sword and armor are technically Church property, bequeathed to her on condition that with it she will perform great deeds in service to the faith militant and in doing so, exalt the name of the Lady.

What deeds might those be? She thinks about the acts of valor that other great paladins of the church have done in the name of Love. Rescuing men and women from abusive spouses. Defending lovers against the societies that disapproved of their sexuality. Tearing down oppressive tyrannies and oligarchies and raising the flag of Justice high above them. Leading great crusades to crush the Jihad of the Daeshid Khalifat. What can she achieve that will measure up to those mighty deeds?

It is easy to have faith in Luminaria Our Lady of Light. It is very hard to have faith in something as small and fallible as oneself. Guide me, O Lady, she thinks.

She raises a gauntleted hand and gestures to the terrain around them. "A wooded pass, ideal for ambushes. Archers could fire from atop those hills, and the woods will shelter infantry until they are close. If I were a brigand with the means, I'd have stakes or a pit trap ready for escapees, too. Would that I had a company of outriders, to scout ahead and secure the pass for us."

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Evan does not see or hear anything out of the ordinary.

Ector you notice some rustling among the foliage, you initially think nothing of it until you notice a small half hidden boot print among the bushes. It seems quite fresh which seems very suspicious.

Celestina and Sariel on the other hand catch sight of a large number of figures hidden among the hills. As though Celestina's words were prophetic you've spotted an ambush lying in wait for you!

While its hard to get an exact count of the enemy you guess their strength somewhere between 10 and 15 scattered among the hills on either side of the caravan.

Sariel you are able to determine that the majority of the ambush are too short to be a human sized race, you think they might be goblins.

-----

Celestina and Sariel what do you do now that you've spotted the ambush? It doesn't look like you have much time to act before the trap is sprung.

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Sariel Amastacia

Freezing in her tracks, this was bad. Whispering to the others. "Ambush, 10 to 15, most too short to be humans, probably goblins. How do we protect everyone?"

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

"I see them too," Tina says. How would they protect everyone? With moments to spare? Odds of nearly four to one were dreadfully unfavorable even if they were only goblins.

According to legend, Luminaria -- in those mythical days when the goddess walked the world in veiled in mortal flesh as an exemplar for all -- had once been taken by surprise by slavers while settling down. Far from Her sword, the goddess had instead shed Her clothing and bared a terrible glimpse of the deific form. The thugs who laid eyes on her were struck dead instantly, minds shattered from glimpsing true divinity. Tina did not think she should be so fortunate to have that kind of effect on her foes.

"We do what is least expected," she resolves, closing her gauntlet about her sword. "To arms! With me! Strike down the left flank, and return to defend the wagons before the other can attack in force!" If they struck hard and fast and took the ambushers by surprise, they might win through by inflicting a defeat in detail.

OOC

Tina decides to attack before the enemies can ambush them. But before actually posting anything that might affect action time here's an initiative roll first.
AA Tina Initiative: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Celestina's sudden shout and rush to battle surprises both the waiting ambush and your fellow caravan guards, although your allies on the other wagons are quick on the uptake and prepare themselves for a fight.

You hear one of the goblins swear loudly, "We've been spotted. Trigger it! Trigger it now damn you!."
One of the other Brigands, one of several humans scattered among the goblins, fumbles for a short wooden rod with symbols carved into it. It glows briefly and the wagons shake as a series of small explosions go off underneath the caravan. No one is hurt but you think you can hear someone yell something about the wheels.

Unfortunately there's no time to clarify, as the disorganized attackers manage to form into several small groups to attack each wagon.

Everyone who hasn't roll initiative.

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Evan Roadbound

Evan's eyes snapped open. It was time.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Sariel Amastacia

Sighing to herself, it seems her idea of scaring these creeps off with illusions and prestidigitation had come too late. Maybe for another time, as she has her wand in one hand and ready to draw a dagger if needed.

OOC: Initiative check: Initiative check: 1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1095
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 am

Ector Blagettal

Ector watches the ambush unfold with the casual air of a man watching the weather.

"Gatto, is good for you to be to be hiding in wagon. Ector must go introduce new friends to good word of Slog," the half orc serenely intones and smiles, "And here is spice for life! Ector is thankful for this gift."

Slowly he pulls his shield, emblazoned with an axe crossed with was was either a trident or a pitchfork, and yanks the war hammer off his belt.

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Gordo is quick to take your advise and duck into the wagon, while the driver goes to steady the panicked horses.

Goblins as well as a pair of human bandits emerge from the woods.

OOC:Okay I'm still learning to master the battle maps so bear with me on that for the next little while. I'm having some trouble with editing some of the text so despite what is says the scale is 5 ft not 10 ft. Also the friendly/Bystander rectangle is the wagon. Hopefully future maps will be done better but bear with me for now.

Image


Initiative order:
Evan 20
Celestina 10
Bandits 8
Sariel 7
Goblins 5
Ector 1

Evan goes first.

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by EnigmaticOne » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 am

Evan Roadbound

And one goblin, among the ambushing group blinked as it saw something remarkable. A halfling, moving forward at surprising speed. Or was that the short blade as Evan swept forward. He had been taught to fight, and if forced to, to kill. But it was in the defense of self and others that the Pure Way found acceptable. Otherwise, the soul was stained.
Evan shall move to P6 and attack G1.
Sword Attack: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
If that hits... Damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+6 = 6
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:33 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 am
Evan Roadbound

And one goblin, among the ambushing group blinked as it saw something remarkable. A halfling, moving forward at surprising speed. Or was that the short blade as Evan swept forward. He had been taught to fight, and if forced to, to kill. But it was in the defense of self and others that the Pure Way found acceptable. Otherwise, the soul was stained.
Evan shall move to P6 and attack G1.
Sword Attack: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
If that hits... Damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6
The Goblin blinks uncomprehending as your blade slips passed its defenses and plunges through his armor with contemptuous ease and lethal efficiency. He gives a bewildered look before he collapses to the ground slain.

OOC: That just beats his AC and... well you one-shot him. G1 is dead.
Celestina is up.
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

Tina draws her longsword from its oiled scabbard, three feet of tempered Talestrian steel, yet to be baptised with blood, and vaults over the guardrail to land on the ground just in time to see Evan already in the van, downing the first goblin in a decisive counterattack. "Well done!" she yells in encouragement, before turning back at the sorceress for a second. "Sariel, stay with the wagons! Fry any who try to get close!" There was no reason to risk her in a messy melee, and this way the wagons would not be left completely vulnerable.

She charges into the fray behind Evan, shield raised, heading for the other goblin. "Light conquers!" she cries, and attempts to hack down her foe in a single strike.

Some wisecracking self-fancied jester had suggested Tina yell "Love hurts" during a particularly drunken conversation at her last stop, which, while pithy and factual in nature, lacked the kind of gravitas one looked for in a knight's battlecry.

OOC
Move action: Move to Q6

Standard action: use longsword on the goblin G2
D&D Tina attack vs goblin: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12

Likely a miss, but just in case it's a hit:
D&D Tina damage vs goblin: 1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm

The Goblin deflects Celestina's attack with its shield while snarling what you presume are taunts or profanities in goblin tongue.

The human bandits level crossbows at Evan and Ector, and while the halfling proves to be too small and nimble a target, the large half-orc is not and a bolt manages to strike hard despite his armor.

OOC: Sorry, that's a miss. Bandits turn.

B1 is going to fire his crossbow at Evan, 1D20 + 3 = [12]+3 = 15 and doesn't beat your AC so you are fine.
B2 is going to fire his crossbow at Ector 1D20 + 3 = [16]+3 = 19 that will hit for 1D8+1 = [6]+1 = 7 damage.

And Sariel's turn.

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Sariel Amastacia

With two wielders of deadly crossbows on the field of battle, Sariel took aim for the one who hit Ector as the magic began to build up inside her. "You thugs need to chill out!" She cried as a ray of cold deep enough to freeze someone down to the bone fired from her wand.

OOC: Attack check for Ray of Frost: Attack roll: 1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22 And Damage: Ray of Frost damage: 1D8 = [5] = 5 And his speed is reduced by 10 ft. until the start of my next turn.

stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 pm

OOC: Okay bandit 2 takes the hit but is still up. Goblins turn. I'd update the map now but the site I edit them at is having issues so I'll add that in as soon as I can.

G2 attacks Celestina 1D20 + 4 = [6]+4 = 10, fails to beat her AC.
G3 moves to Q13 to attack Ector 1D20 + 4 = [11]+4 = 15, also fails to beat the AC.

IC:

The Goblin facing Celestina responds to her attack with one of its own, only to find her armor even more effective than what he wears. His curved blade slides against her shield harmlessly.

One the other side of the wagon, thinking he sees an opportunity to remove the big threatening half-orc from the field the other goblin rushes Ector, only to be likewise met with a wall of unyielding steel to its dismay.

EDIT: Battle map ready.

Image


Ector's turn.

Post Reply