D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

"Compared to turning into a potted plant," Tina whispers back to Ector in her most deadpan voice, "very normal." Sariel was certainly one of the more eccentric personalities she'd met on her journey so far, but a little thinking out loud -- and perhaps hearing voices that were not really there -- was pretty tame compared to what she'd said her wild magic could do.

"By the saints," Tina exclaims when the door is answered by some humanoid plant-thing. What is presumably Una's voice stays her hand before it can get anywhere near her sword, fortunately. Tina sits down in a chair stiffly, formally, trying not to stare at the huge raccoon.

When Una comes, Tina greets her and introduces herself and the others to Una as caravan guards, temporarily stranded in town while the wagons are being repaired. She briefly tells Una about their desire to visit the crypt of the Delian league, and her grounds for assuming it has been defiled by goblins. "We hope to clear out intruders at the tomb and re-sanctify it. Lady... Auntie Una, we would be grateful for anything you could tell us about the tomb itself and the movements of the goblins," she says.

Tina pauses, then remembers something. "By chance, have you caught wind of a sorcerer in the area? Recently arrived? From what Sir Abel told us, the goblins largely kept to themselves until lately. Now they are forming bands to attack caravans, armed with magical traps..."

Sorcerers, she had heard, could perceive each other's presence the way predators could smell the marked territories of their rivals. Maybe the sorcerer's arrival in the woods would not have passed unnoticed.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

If Ector is surprised, or alarmed by giant plant monsters that answered doors, it was hard to tell as he casually strolled into the house.

His unshakably calm facade is broken when he spots the giant Raccoon and he spends the vast majority of his time waiting staring at it with awe.

On Una's arrival Ector stands, placing his right fist over his hear in salute and bowing.

<<::Orcish:: It is my great pleasure to meet you, Auntie Una. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ector Blagettal, but a humble servant of Slog,>> He raises from his bow to take his seat.

"Is very nice house," He gives her a smile.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pm "By the saints," Tina exclaims when the door is answered by some humanoid plant-thing. What is presumably Una's voice stays her hand before it can get anywhere near her sword, fortunately. Tina sits down in a chair stiffly, formally, trying not to stare at the huge raccoon.
Arkrite wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 am Ector Blagettal

If Ector is surprised, or alarmed by giant plant monsters that answered doors, it was hard to tell as he casually strolled into the house.

His unshakably calm facade is broken when he spots the giant Raccoon and he spends the vast majority of his time waiting staring at it with awe.
The Raccoon lifts its head and chitters at you as if to say 'Yes, behold my bigness and be in awe for I am the best at surviving.'

Una shakes her head at the critter. "Don't mind Rocchetto. Sometimes Dire animals have over-large egos to go with the extra size."

The Dire Raccoon gives an undignified huff.
Arkrite wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 amOn Una's arrival Ector stands, placing his right fist over his hear in salute and bowing.

<<::Orcish:: It is my great pleasure to meet you, Auntie Una. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ector Blagettal, but a humble servant of Slog,>> He raises from his bow to take his seat.

"Is very nice house," He gives her a smile.

Una smiles at you, "<<::Orcish:: Be welcomed in my home.>> And thank you, I am quite proud of my little home. Oh you Orc-kin are so polite when you visit me. Makes me glad I don't let my Orcish get rusty. Then again we Firbolg tend to be reclusive so its not uncommon for us to be mistaken for Orc-kin, Goblinoids or other giant-kin."

OOC: you all can do an appropriate knowledge check to learn more about firbolgs/Dire animals/what kind of plant creature Twiggy is if you so choose.
Ysariel wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pmWhen Una comes, Tina greets her and introduces herself and the others to Una as caravan guards, temporarily stranded in town while the wagons are being repaired. She briefly tells Una about their desire to visit the crypt of the Delian league, and her grounds for assuming it has been defiled by goblins. "We hope to clear out intruders at the tomb and re-sanctify it. Lady... Auntie Una, we would be grateful for anything you could tell us about the tomb itself and the movements of the goblins," she says.

Tina pauses, then remembers something. "By chance, have you caught wind of a sorcerer in the area? Recently arrived? From what Sir Abel told us, the goblins largely kept to themselves until lately. Now they are forming bands to attack caravans, armed with magical traps..."

Sorcerers, she had heard, could perceive each other's presence the way predators could smell the marked territories of their rivals. Maybe the sorcerer's arrival in the woods would not have passed unnoticed.
Auntie Una frowns. "Well one thing I know for sure is that there's been lots of trouble stirring in the wilderness lately. Its hard to tell what things are connected and what is just bad timing. I've been out in the forest trying to sort things out for weeks, I'll probably have to head out again as soon as I'm done with this batch of remedies for the villagers. I've been consulting with other beings and creatures that want to get to the bottom of all this but its still all a big mess. I'll share what I can though."

She sat and got comfortable in one of the large chairs. "I'll start with the Goblins. The Howling Hills tribe has definitely had a recent coup and the old chief is dead, its not uncommon among this kind of goblin tribe, but something about this one is different. I know for a fact that the tribe's shaman gathered up a bunch of his acolytes and left the tribe. Now I've met Shaman Rutven, he's a miserable scheming little toad but he's devoted to his tribe and his deity, so he must have big problems with the new regime if he'd go that far. Granted knowing him he's biding his time to engineer a more favorable shift in power."

"As for the tomb, some of my critter friends have definitely caught the scent of goblins in the area. And the last day or so I've gotten a faint sense of someone working some kind of magic there. Unfortunately I haven't had time to look into it; this region is littered with ruins that the wilderness has reclaimed, sometimes bad things get left behind other times bad things move in after. And lately plenty of those bad things have been active, recently I've had to calm several restless spirits and angry beasts, deal with some wild magic hot spots, remind some unpleasant folk to mind their manners. I haven't run into any wizards or sorcerers yet but I have come across signs of arcane magic being worked recently, some of it of dubious nature. I'll return to searching once I'm done here, whoever is causing trouble in my forests can only hide for so long before one of my friends spots them. I'll pass on anything bandit or goblin related I come across."

Her expression becomes less stern, "Anything else I can help you with in the here and now?"
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

So this mystery needed more information before solving. "I do not, thank you. Do any of you..."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel has been in awe since the door opened, a sapient plant creature and it obeys this druidess, this was a rare sight indeed. Then the dire raccoon made her eyes bug out, she had seen dire bears, dire badgers, even a dire rabbit once, but never a dire raccoon. A Firbolg, she was sure she had read about them before, but she just couldn't recall right now. "Oh, I was hoping you could tell me anything you know about the Sidhe if it isn't too much trouble."

OOC: Arcana check to see if she can remember what a Firbolg is: Arcana check: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6
stavaros_the_arcane

Psistrike wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:56 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel has been in awe since the door opened, a sapient plant creature and it obeys this druidess, this was a rare sight indeed. Then the dire raccoon made her eyes bug out, she had seen dire bears, dire badgers, even a dire rabbit once, but never a dire raccoon. A Firbolg, she was sure she had read about them before, but she just couldn't recall right now. "Oh, I was hoping you could tell me anything you know about the Sidhe if it isn't too much trouble."

OOC: Arcana check to see if she can remember what a Firbolg is: Arcana check: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6
Sariel knows she's heard the name before but can't recall anything but the most basic details about the people. Something about them being related to giants but being connected to nature and the feywild somehow.

Auntie Una gives Sariel a look over then smiles. "It's no trouble at all dearie. I take it you have some fey meddling in your life? You have that feel about you. Well part of learning druid lore is knowing about all sorts of beings like that, I could probably talk your ear off for quite a while. I'll try and keep with the important bits; first of all the Sidhe are powerful fey, beings of the Feywilds in the same way that elementals are tied to the elemental planes or Demons are beings of the Abyss. Their Planar origins influence their nature and as a result they are beings of contradiction. They may be guided by petty passing whims to take courses of action that take thousands of years to yield results. This unfortunately makes figuring out their motives tricky, and their politics are even more convoluted. Their favor can be as dangerous as their ire to mortals, they will keep to their word and their laws but are only bound to the letter not the spirit of such an agreement. That said they can be quite possessive of people or things that they are fond of: powerful Sidhe, particularly those great enough to be considered Archfey, may grant blessings or make pacts with mortals that have won their favor. Of course fey gifts are almost never given freely and without cost."

"So if I may ask what specific fey dealings have you had?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"I, unfortunately, have known at least one Sidhe my whole life. My godmother. For reasons neither my mother nor godmother will explain, a Sidhe queen whose name she has refused to give to me became my godmother. She has watched over me since I was born, sending fairies to play with me, and even leaving gifts for me each year on my birthday. When I was 80 I had gone further into the woods looking for herbs that grew that time of year, only for some wolves to corner me. And to help protect me my godmother decided the best option was giving me the gift of wild magic. True, I was able to drive off the wolves, but my life has been a series of adventures and weirdness ever since. Plus she has this habit of talking directly into my mind, even telling me things which she has watched of other worlds and their entertainment."
stavaros_the_arcane

Psistrike wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:06 am Sariel Amastacia

"I, unfortunately, have known at least one Sidhe my whole life. My godmother. For reasons neither my mother nor godmother will explain, a Sidhe queen whose name she has refused to give to me became my godmother. She has watched over me since I was born, sending fairies to play with me, and even leaving gifts for me each year on my birthday. When I was 80 I had gone further into the woods looking for herbs that grew that time of year, only for some wolves to corner me. And to help protect me my godmother decided the best option was giving me the gift of wild magic. True, I was able to drive off the wolves, but my life has been a series of adventures and weirdness ever since. Plus she has this habit of talking directly into my mind, even telling me things which she has watched of other worlds and their entertainment."
Auntie Una considers this. "Well some aspects of that are peculiar but not unheard of. Many Planar beings, some Fey included, are loath to share knowledge of their true names least someone gain power over them, either a mortal or a rival. They can be equally stubborn about others knowing what debts they owe or are owed, boons they've granted, or times they've been bested, all possible reasons why your godmother and your elders either will not or possibly cannot tell you more. Sidhe nobles will sometimes take an interest in young children, you are fortunate that your godmother has chosen a protective role as opposed to stealing you away to the feywild and leaving an imposter in your place. As for you being gifted magic by her and having her making mental contact...Just a moment."

Una says a brief incantation in a language none of you understand, those of you familiar with the workings of druids remember that there are secret languages that only druids know. After casting the spell Una's eyes glow briefly and she looks very carefully at Sariel.

(OOC: DC 10 knowledge arcana to identify what spell she cast.)

"Hmmm... well that is particular. I've spoken with practitioners of pact magic, you'd call them warlocks, who have described similar situations to yours with their otherworldly patrons although the extent of communication varies wildly. This one lad who stopped by for tea a few years back described it as having someone constantly giving a running sarcastic commentary of his life, all the time. Poor Ned. Anyways, the odd thing is that your magic is definitely tied to your bloodline rather than a magical contract. Its a subtle difference but an important one. Without knowing the parts of your family history that your parents and godmother refused to share with you I can only make guesses about why that is with no way to narrow it down. It may be that your family has magical traits that skip generations and your godmother merely awoke them in you, or it could be that blessings bestowed by your godmother to you at a young age along with the constant exposure to the fey and their magics caused it to develop, or it could be that your family actually have blood ties to the Sidhe as elves are the mortal race with some of the closest links to the feywild and its denizens. I could rattle of another half-score of possibilities off the top of my head, but it wouldn't really clarify anything. What I can tell you is that however you came by your magic, it is a part of you and not something granted to you by a patron like a cleric or warlock. As such while its nature is wild and chaotic, given time and experience you can learn to properly focus it. As you develop and grow as a person so too will your ability to curb your magics unruly behavior improve."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is important to be polite in orc culture," Ector says with a big toothy grin, "Polite people very rarely get punched."

"Orcs can be very punchy people. Lots of vigor, lots of passion, lots of misunderstandings,"
He rubs his head sheepishly.

Ector listens to the conversation about Sariel's power before noding, "Ah, is like muscle. Work muscle, get more powerful, and is easier to control weapon for fancy attacks."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel just stood there in a daze, her mind trying to process all that Auntie Una had just told her. She has suspected some of it, but the part her powers being tied her bloodline and all the ways it could be possible, her mind was spiraling as she tried to absorb it all and what it meant. Steam would be coming out her ears if it was possible. "We are sorry, but the brain has temporarily been overloaded. We will now shut down temporarily to fix the issue." Sariel suddenly seems to pass out in her chair, her eyes showing a dazed look.
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 am Ector Blagettal

"Is important to be polite in orc culture," Ector says with a big toothy grin, "Polite people very rarely get punched."

"Orcs can be very punchy people. Lots of vigor, lots of passion, lots of misunderstandings,"
He rubs his head sheepishly.
Auntie Una chuckles. "True enough, but orcs hardly have a monopoly on any of those things. Misunderstandings plague every race, species, and people you will ever find."
Psistrike wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel just stood there in a daze, her mind trying to process all that Auntie Una had just told her. She has suspected some of it, but the part her powers being tied her bloodline and all the ways it could be possible, her mind was spiraling as she tried to absorb it all and what it meant. Steam would be coming out her ears if it was possible. "We are sorry, but the brain has temporarily been overloaded. We will now shut down temporarily to fix the issue." Sariel suddenly seems to pass out in her chair, her eyes showing a dazed look.
Auntie Una gives a mildly concerned look. "I'm sorry to lay all that on you at once. Frankly trying to make sense of Faerie shenanigans tends to induce headaches and the occasional mental breakdown. I've met at least one fellow druid who never deals with fae matters while sober. Take all the time you need to pull your thoughts back togther, Dearie."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina's education, unfortunately, while very comprehensive on the deeds of the saints, church dogma, courtly etiquette and the stabby necessities of war, is markedly silent on the subject of giant racoons and animated plant-things. Fortunately, Sariel, Ector and Una seem to be getting along. She sits formally, hands folded over her knees, and exotic though the subject of their conversation might be, its familial, pleasant done relaxes her mind and tempts it to wander.

And to wonder. To wonder why she is here on the threshold, about to head into unknown woods where magic has been worked and there might be a sorceror or a goblin splinter faction running amok.

The pragmatic side of her argues that it would be a good thing to present herself (and companions) in Tychestoile with deeds to their name -- having already saved lives and homes on the way here. It would open the door to more adventuring work, perhaps even impress a potential patron or two. There are practical benefits to be had, for a young knight-errant out questing to make a name for herself.

But perhaps she just wants to know. To know what one of those great heroes of eld might have felt like, to know what might have motivated him or her to lay down life and limb or head off on Crusade, never to return.

Tina rises and bows at last just as Sariel delcares that her head has, apparently, closed up shop for the day. "Thank you for your counsel and wisdom, Auntie Una. We'll take your warnings to heart and be glad for any information you can share with us, when we return," she says. "Farewell, and to you too, Rocchetto and... Twiggy?" she says with a smile that's only half awkward, and moves to gently guide the elf sorceress towards the front door by the shoulders with both hands.

OOC

Unfortunately I don't think I have the right knowledges to tell anything about twiggy... but it makes sense a paladin won't have that kind of education.

Unless anyone wants to stay longer, Tina is going to head out towards the tome following Abel's directions. You know, I'm actually not sure if in D&D you need checks (Survival maybe?) to get lost, even with a map.
stavaros_the_arcane

ooc: Whether a check is needed for traveling is like many things in the hands of the DM. Its one of those things that varies depending on the situation, you aren't traveling very far and you have a map so I'm not going to make you do any checks to get there. If it was something like a multi-day trek through the wilderness or traveling through a particularly difficult terrain then I might have you make a check.

Which reminds me when time permits I'd like to talk with all players out of game about how I can best work their character backstories into the game: Either in the OOC thread, over skype, or through private messages. These talks can either be one on one or public depending on whether you want character details to remain secret or not.
stavaros_the_arcane

(Okay moving on.)

As you start to clear out of the cottage, Una calls you to stop just before you're out the door.

"Just a moment, it sounds like where you're going could be dangerous. I have something that could be helpful." She rises and retrieves something from the back room. "Most of the cures and remedies I brew up are meant to treat more specific ailments and injuries but I keep a few for general healing on hand just in case. You might get better use out of them."

She presents you with two small vials filled with red liquid. "Sorry I don't have enough on hand for each of you so you'll have to share. Hopefully you won't have need of these. Be careful out there."

(OOC: You get 2 potion of healing You can pick which party member holds on to them.)

Auntie Una and Twiggy watch you leave from her front door. Twiggy even gives you a little wave.
-------

It takes a few hours of walking through forest and underbrush, following the map Elder Abel gave you before you reach the edge of a clearing and you catch sight of the tomb. Its a large boxy structure made of gray weathered stone, slightly overgrown with plant life clearly the result of years of neglect. You can see an entrance that leads inside as well as the fallen remains of two heavy stone doors.

Before you leave the underbrush, you all catch sight of the two goblin sentries standing by the entrance. Sitting on the ground near the sentries is a large horn, clearly meant to sound an alarm should they spot something. They don't seem to be taking their job very seriously as they hardly seem to be paying their surroundings any attention. They haven't noticed you yet.

What do you do?
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

As they left Auntie Una's pace, Sariel finally snapped out of her dazed, surprised to be outside and on the road with the others now. "Uhm, sorry about that. I kind of spiraled back there, thinking of the implications of what Auntie Una said about my power being tied to my bloodline. My clan of elves lives in a forest on the edge of the Feywilds, we've interacted with the fey and Sidhe for ages untold. And with what Auntie Una said and the way my mother and godmother look at each other when I ask what their relationship was, I began to think what if my own godmother is my grandmother. Something I need to confront them about already."

Hours of walking later and upon seeing the two goblin sentries, Sariel freezes in her tracks. Whispering to the others, she hoped they have an idea of what to do. "So, how do we go about this? How do we take them down without alerting the rest of the goblins and bandits inside?"