D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 am Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

Ector walks in, looking at the room, and sniffing the air.

Pausing he says a quick prayer, as an appeasement for interfering in what was once the a sacred place, then he turns to the others and hooks a thumb over his shoulder at the staircase.

"Ector will watch staircase," He says, moving over to make sure nobody is coming up the stairs while they're distracted.
You can see down the stairs easily, it goes straight down and then just at the edge of your dark vision the stairs end and becomes a corridor heading to the right. You should have plenty of warning if someone starts coming up.
Psistrike wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel walks over to the goblin and gets in his face. "Listen up, we want information on this operation and your buddies. You are going to give it to it. Or else I can make things very...weird for you since I'm a wild magic sorceress."

OOC: No attempt at Charisma check for Intimidation, as Sariel would bomb it. Just for flavor and to back up Celestina's good cop.
OOC: you do realize that Sariel has the same Charisma bonus as Celestina right? And neither of you are trained in intimidation.
Ysariel wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 pm Célestina (Tina)

Célestina points at Sariel, glaring sternly at the goblin. "Did you hear that? A wild. Magic. Sorceress. Theirs is not the formulaic magic of the arcanum and scholasticae. It is the ancient spellcraft of the Sidhe, wild and untamable as a summer storm. Cities have burned and forests turned to ash before that horrid power let loose. Not even they know the full terrors their magic can conjure."

"But worst of all," her voice lowers to a conspirational hush now, "worst of all are their shapechanging powers. Do you know what it is like to be turned into a potted plant? Huh? Huh?" she asks. "Mute. Deaf. Blind. Paralyzed, weeping in silent agony as a caterpillar chews away at your limbs and a stray dog relieves itself on you. Would you like to be turned into one? Because I assure you, and I ASSURE you, that is but the very least of what this nightmarish terror --" she stabs a finger at Sariel for emphasis -- "can imagine doing."

She leans in close to the goblin and breathes right down its throat. (Tina suddenly wonders if she smells as bad to the goblin as goblins do to her.) "Now listen very carefully, you wretched little bugger. You will tell us everything of what you and your fellows are up to in this tomb, down to who sent you here, what you are guarding, how many of you there are and what you ate for rations. If you do not, or if I so much as SUSPECT a word of untruth out of your halitosic mouth, SHE will unleash her spells on you. You will be turned into a potted plant. Or a chamberpot. Or a plant in a chamberpot... the point is, the rest of your eternal existence will be spent in mute, unbearable torment. You will beg for death and have not the lips to utter your plea. Now start talking!" She gives the captive a painful jab between the ribs with her gauntleted finger.

OOC

I really should have taken Intimidation instead of persuasion. There's nobody to play bad cop to my good cop!

D&D Charisma: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12
The goblin for a moment looks like he's about to snarl something defiant at Sariel but the moment Celestina starts talking any sign of resistance is snuffed out like a candle in a storm. Oh you can tell he's struggling a bit with some of the big words but he quickly gets your point.

Actually that look of abject terror on the goblin's face looks familiar... Suddenly it clicks and Celestina recognizes where she's seen that look. This is the same Goblin that she ran off during the Caravan ambush! Its still utterly terrified of her.

This revelation is also accompanied by the Goblin immediately spilling his guts. "Okayokayokay I talk! I talk! Putz tell all. Don't hurt me or turn me into a chamber-pot plant or call vengeful Delian ghosts! Putz tell you want you want to know."

The Goblin starts talking, "We come here months ago when Darax become new chief and the Black One become new god of tribe. The Black One rename tribe as Howling Horde and demand we bring her many shiny things or she eat us. So we do as She and Chief Darax command and find new places to raid from. We break in door, use tomb as... what is word in trade tongue... Outpost. Houses medium war party but lost some during attack recently as you know. Main camp in big room with fancy fire pit. Most of us there, rest on patrol be back later.

Tomb is useful for deal with Redbrands and for Chief Darax's big plans. Closer to roads and towns than home lair, plus both us and Redbrand not fully trust other. Failed caravan attack make things tense, Gravak the outpost boss inside with Redbrand talky man trying to keep deal strong. Tomb is useful place, but Putz not like it. Is spooky place. Others think I be superstitious but I sure angry spirits here. Order come in from Chief recently, send rookie shaman, tell Gravak that The Black One commands that tomb be desanctified. What Black One wants Black One gets. Gravak, Redbrand and rookie shaman probably in big altar room, Gravak like to multitask. Set up ritual and negotiate at same time. Also keep eye on sacrifice captives, Patrol catch someone nearby, small human, ritual need blood to finish but long set up. Gravak want to make sure no screw ups."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"What does the Black One look like?" Evan inquired. "And if you answer 'she's black', I'm thinking... tulip."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

EnigmaticOne wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:41 am Evan Roadbound

"What does the Black One look like?" Evan inquired. "And if you answer 'she's black', I'm thinking... tulip."
Putz the goblin looks nervous. "Have not seen her close up myself. Is much safer that way, Putz not want to end up eaten... or melted. The Black One mostly keep to her horde of shiny things and let Darax run everything else. But yes she is black, with wings and big nasty snapping jaws full of teeth. Not want to get gobbled up so a smart goblin try not to draw attention, most of us not even like to say her name out loud lest she somehow hear us. To be honest the only one really happy to have her around is Darax, no one else can challenge his position as Chief while he's the Black One's favorite."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Okay, there are few creatures in this world with those exact features. Putz, is the Black One a dragon or is she humanoid in form except for the wings, teeth, and color?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Psistrike wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:17 am Sariel Amastacia

"Okay, there are few creatures in this world with those exact features. Putz, is the Black One a dragon or is she humanoid in form except for the wings, teeth, and color?"
"Dragon. Pretty definitely sure Dragon. Not part-breed like big green one with caravan. Again I not see Black One up close, but you not get ego that big with only part-breeds." Putz answers. "Pretty sure that's why Black One demand ritual to defile tomb, Delians have many knights famous for dragon-slaying. There even big picture of it on tomb wall. Dragons not like reminder of that."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Questioning is done, yes?" Ector asks, tossing a roll of rope to the others, "Ector is wanting to go find small child before goblins get to sacrificing."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina looks left to Sariel and right to Evans and over her shoulder to Ector. Surely they have connected the exceedingly obvious dots. This is no magician playing at being sorcerer-king. The goblins' 'Black One' is a dragon, and they can't fight a dragon; the best they can do with the forces at hand is to warn the Garrison.

But they can stop little humans from being sacrificed, and tombs being desecrated. (Why would a dragon want a tomb desecrated? Tina chalks it up to revenge or something. A dragon's motivations are beyond her to guess.)

She clears her throat. "Very good, Putz. Very good. You are wise and prudent to cooperate. For this, we spare you the fate of being turned into tulips... and we magnanimously spare you, too, the fate about to befall your wretched fellows."

Tina leans close and glares into the goblin's eyes. "For this tomb is HAUNTED. Here dwell valiant spirits of the Delian League, souls of heroes long slain and newly dead. And their JUDGEMENT is at HAND."

Tina hopes the knights laid to rest here will forgive her speaking on their behalf. It is for a good cause, she reasons. She beckons Sariel and Evans close, leaving Ector to stand watch. "The goblins think this place is haunted. Let's use their superstition against them," she whispers being very careful to keep Putz out of earshot. "I suggest we begin by making some spooky sounds and observing their reaction. If they rush out in a panic, we need do nothing but let them flee. If they do not, we strike swiftly while they are demoralized. Putz mentioned sacrifices, a small child at least, so we must be quick and precise."

She looks at Sariel. "Sariel, can you conjure phantoms or strange sounds, or mirages?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel had to think of the kind of illusions she could conjure up, what sounds would work best in this situation, and if the goblins and bandits were dumb enough to fall for them. "I can do some of that, but the illusions aren't that complex, someone smart enough can tell they are fake. We lucked out the first time with those bandits being tricked to think the garrison had men out that far. Plus they have to be pretty close to me, I can only cast the illusions out to 30 feet, any further and they blink out from losing connection to me. Any phantoms or mirages will have to be small, about the size of an adult human at most. Probably best to go with sounds, easier to trick when there is no possibility of physical interaction. What kind of strange sounds would you suggest, Tina?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Away from Putz your party puts your heads together to plan a way to frighten away the goblins in the chamber below you.

OOC: Since you guys seem to have gotten hung up on stuff over the holidays I'm going to give you a little nudge to get the game rolling again.

To combine your talents in order to get the goblins below to think the tomb is haunted.
Celestina: Give me a charisma roll.
Sariel: Roll Arcana
Ector: Roll either intimidate or religion
Evan: Roll a stealth check
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector offers what knowledge he can in regards to any questions the team might have.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel begins to weave the most complex illusion, then her fingers get tangled at the last moment and cause the illusion to come out as a huge blob of ghostly white with multiple faces. Whispering to the others, "Something is wrong with my magic, that was supposed to be a single human ghost in armor."

OOC: Arcana check: Arcana check: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina thinks for a bit. "Voices," she says to Sariel. "Spooky voices. Say the most haunting things you can think of, like 'we are coming for you' and 'the dead suffer no trespass', and throw in some sounds of bones rattling or people moaning if possible."

Granted, Tina also knows a big part of being scary lies not necessarily in what is said, but in how it is said. It's how she can manage to appear intimidating in a miniskirt. "Just do your best," she reassures Sariel.

OOC
D&D Tina Cha: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
Oh dear
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

Evan was prepared to handle whatever sneaking was required.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

EVAN:
Evan sneaks down the stairs and scouts out the chamber below and its Goblin occupants. The chamber itself is very large, with grand artwork depicting the Delian Order on one of the large walls, there is something written on the other wall but you don't have time to fully examine it. The chamber is lit predominantly from a massive Brazier in the center of the room. It may have once been used for offering and the like but you can tell from the stench that the goblins have likely been using it to burn their garbage.

The goblins have set up a ramshackle series of tents and temporary structures in the room, you are able to count about ten of them present right now, but you can tell that at least two or three times that many have been living here. Evan returns to the rest of the group with this information about the room and its current inhabitants making it easier to plan the deception. He also notes that there are only two exits to the room, one leading further into the tomb and the other being where they would enter the room. Once their con was in full swing they would probably want to make sure that the goblins have a clear path to flee up the stairs out of the tomb.

SARIEL:

Sariel's first attempts at illusions for the ruse was to conjure up the image of ghostly knights to frighten the goblins. Unfortunately her magic just couldn't hold together long enough for something that complex to work. At Celestina's suggestion Sariel refocuses her efforts on auditory illusions, and after some practice is able to get down a suitably terrifying 'wail of the angry dead' to have echo about the chamber below.

CELESTINA:

Since they don't have an illusion of a vengeful ghostly Delian Knight to work with, someone would have to play the part. As a fellow knight, Celestina was the obvious choice to take on such a roll. Unfortunately acting is not her strong suit, while she can manage the imposing armored figure look, she stumbles over her words a number of times while practicing them leaving her lacking confidence in her ability to sell the lie.

ECTOR:
Fortunately Ector is able to bolster his companions and cover some of the weak spots in the plan with a little divine magic.
Ector draws on his knowledge of Slog and other religions to plan out a properly simulated divine wrath, he is able to give Celestina some tips on sounding sufficiently vengeful and menacing. Using what Evan told them about the room Ector is able to bolster Sariel's illusions by adding tremors and manipulating the brazier flame through thaumaturgy.

It took a while but the plan is ready to go off. This is the last chance for any last minute changes or additions to the plan.

OOC: let me know if there's anything else you want to add to the plan before going forward.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

OOC I don't have anything to add. :) Should I make an IC post describing what my character does?