D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

This wild, barely tamed region often referred to as The Crossroads, serves as the center point of many very important trade routes spanning the rest of the world. Hundreds of nations surround it and many have sought to claim the region, but between rival kingdoms and the regions notoriously dangerous terrain and inhabitants (Monsters and peoples alike) no one has been able to hold it for long... until the rise of the Rota Fortuna.

With the region existing as neutral territory through which a vast amount of wealth and resources passed, seven trade cities across the region grew in power, wealth and influence until they emerged as fully fledged independent city-states. With the rise of the seventh city-state came the idea to join forces into a single allied federation to improve trade and protect against threats both local and foreign.

The alliance and its trade network was named Rota Fortuna, also called the Wheel of Fortune or the Golden Wheel. It is a fitting name since this is the one place in the entire world that can make or break the fortune of any person. Anything you are looking for you can find it here, be it riches, power, or glory; but beware for the wheel takes as easily as it gives and while many fortunes are made here, they can just as easily be broken.
----------
THE GOLDEN WHEEL TURNS
D&D 5th Edition
Game by invite only
DM: stavaros_the_arcane
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Adventurers, for the past few months you've been traveling by Merchant Caravan towards the central city of Rota Fortuna: Tychestoile, The Lucky Star, the city at the crossroads of the world. It is said that from there you can find anything; be it rare and exotic physical goods and wealth or more esoteric things such as knowledge, glory, or enlightenment. Each of you has your own personal reasons to come here, to this land and that city but fate has made you companions on the road there.

As Freelance Adventurers you have each taken advantage of a longstanding arrangement between the various merchant guilds and companies that ply the trade roads in this region and the Association of Exceptional Personnel (the organization that predominantly mediates the hiring of Adventurers and other such uniquely specialized individuals) whereby in exchange for service protecting a caravan, at a greatly reduced rate to caravan guards, the Merchants cover your travel and lodging expenses until you reach your destination.It is the most affordable way for Adventurers to travel long distance in this region.

Your Caravan consists of the wagons belonging to Three Merchants: Gordo Gatto, an exceptionally rotund male Tabaxi Spice Merchant; Efrix Bailey, a female human Wine Merchant; and Cyrilla Aldershof, a female Gnome Cloth merchant.

In addition to yourselves, the Merchants employ three caravan drivers (Bert, Nelly, and Isana) and six Caravan guards (2 humans: Larkin and Jackin, a dwarf: Bogdan, a Tabaxi: Tiffany, an Elf: Ruwa, and a Green Dragonborn: Ludmilla.)

You've become at least acquainted with your fellow Caravan members over the journey.

Today the four of you are assigned to the rear wagon of the Caravan, which today happens to be Gordo's spices. The travel has been uneventful as many of the days before.

Describe yourselves and how you are spending your time on the road?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

After weeks of being on the road Ector had finally got into a healthy rhythm. Get up early, start breakfast, pack up gear then spend a good part of the day walking. If the wagon they were watching was Gatto's or Bailey's he'd spend time talking shop with them when he got his turn riding on the wagon. Off the wagon he'd walk along, which was good conditioning. During his time walking his dull yellow eyes seemed to be idly watching the surrounding out of boredom, but he was actually watching for vegetables or herbs he could use to cook dinner.

At night he'd put together another meal using whatever he could gather along the ways and the supplies in the carivan.
Originally his meals had been small affairs, but as the trip had gone longer and people had sampled his cooking, he found that the supplies allowed to him had grown, as had the number of people he was cooking for.

After that, clean all the dust out of his gear, then bed down for the night and doing guard duty when it came up.

It was simple. It was easy. It was boring.

The big grey skinned half-orc yawned, broadly, and sighed, "Is good day. But am looking forward to city. Need a little change. Change is spice of life."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

Evan was currently in a place that might be considered strange outside of the Rota Fortuna. A halfling sitting in a lotus position, eyes closed on the back end of a wagon - in the Crossroads of the World it was hardly anything.

And while the halfling seemed other-worldly, Ector had quickly learned to procure additional herbs for Evan, whom could take care of fevers, impaired limbs and other ailments for the caravan.

"Spice perhaps. But do not overburden your tongue with it." Evan mutters seemingly distant from the conversation. "I do look forward to the Lucky Star though."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector nods sagely.

"Is true, best to underspice. Adding spice is easy, removing spice? Ah, not so much," Ector rumbled with a smile.

The halfling monk had turned out to be quite friendly. So much so that Ector almost felt bad about taking advantage of the little man. But the halfling had made the mistake of letting it known that he was a herbalist and a healer, and so Ector had happily provided all the medicinal herbs he found along the way.
And kept quiet about his own skill.

It was an unfortunate truth that free healing was something in high, high demand. To the point that it was generally frowned upon to offer free healing, it brought out the kooks and those who thought they were always ill, and would eat all of your time. By putting a cost to it they could strain out the people who could just heal naturally.

Then again, he noted, his views might have been biased. His father was of the belief that if it wasn't spurting blood one should simply rub some dirt (or pork fat) on it and stop whining.

Ector wasn't entirely sure how his father had survived as long as he did, but he was wise enough not to rise his father's ire.

Still, it was a happy find for Ector. As long as they bothered Evan he could focus on other things.

Poor, poor Evan, Ector thought to himself.

"So, big plans for Lucky Star? Find wife, perhaps?" Ector asks with a grin across his scarred face.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel just loved the open road, so many sights to see, so many opportunities to learn new things. She had traveled from place to place for years now, yet still tomes on wild magic seemed rare in all but the largest cities and most just repeated the same thing. That it is the mark of strange and powerful magic to wield it, like she didn't already know that. Why had her godmother gifted it to her, weren't there more practical gifts she could have given her that day all those decades ago?

Yet as she got ready to head over to guard duty, she couldn't help dancing a little in the breeze, her wild green hair flowing around her and her violet eyes gleaming with a curiosity that couldn't be quenched. A sky blue blouse, skirt, and her favorite pair of sandals on, her backpack ready in case of emergency and her willow wood wand at the ready. "Ah, another day, another chance to learn something new and see new sights. So, you sure I shouldn't try to convince Efrix to give you a bottle of her wine, Ector? I'm sure you could cook something interesting with it."
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 am Ector Blagettal

The big grey skinned half-orc yawned, broadly, and sighed, "Is good day. But am looking forward to city. Need a little change. Change is spice of life."
EnigmaticOne wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:17 am Evan Roadbound

"Spice perhaps. But do not overburden your tongue with it." Evan mutters seemingly distant from the conversation. "I do look forward to the Lucky Star though."
Arkrite wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:11 am Ector Blagettal

Ector nods sagely.

"Is true, best to underspice. Adding spice is easy, removing spice? Ah, not so much," Ector rumbled with a smile.
From the front of the wagon, catlike ears twitched in their direction and Gordo Gatto the spice merchant turned back to look at them, fur and fat rippling across his face as he smiled.

"Ah but once you get a taste of the true spice of the Rota, you may find future dishes bland without it my friends. Like a meal without salt. And take my word for it because metaphors aside I should hope I know my spices or I'd soon be out of business. Oh ho ho."

Gordo was perhaps the most sociable of the three merchants always quick to share a joke or anecdote with both his fellow merchants and the caravan employees. He also seemed to have an endless supply of small food items tucked away in his wide sash and the folds of his clothing. Such as the small pastry he pulled out now and began to delicately snack on.
Psistrike wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:37 am Sariel Amastacia

Yet as she got ready to head over to guard duty, she couldn't help dancing a little in the breeze, her wild green hair flowing around her and her violet eyes gleaming with a curiosity that couldn't be quenched. A sky blue blouse, skirt, and her favorite pair of sandals on, her backpack ready in case of emergency and her willow wood wand at the ready. "Ah, another day, another chance to learn something new and see new sights. So, you sure I shouldn't try to convince Efrix to give you a bottle of her wine, Ector? I'm sure you could cook something interesting with it."
Gordo let out another rumbling laugh, "Well Efrix does needs to keep some stock for market but perhaps we can wheedle another bottle or two out of her, lest we be forced to drink that vile rotgut that Ludmilla keeps offering to share about. Just the memory of its smell makes my whiskers curl. I heard from Bogdan and Tiffany that at one of our stops she drank a bucket of wood varnish as part of a tavern wager. And I can believe she'd do it too."

The beefy green-scaled dragonborn woman did seem to get a perverse glee out of the reactions her disgusting drink choices got out of others. The fact that the stuff would probably do grievous harm most people without her inborn resistance to poison probably factored into it somewhat.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is possible," Ector muses, "If we could find large pheasent, and yellow fleshed tubers."

He looks at the other then shrugs, "She has made request."

He frowns at Gordo's story about Ludmilla, then shakes his head, "Am wondering if that one has any sense of taste left."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

To Miguel, my dearest brother

I pray that the Lady finds you in good health and fortune still. To avoid burdening you overmuch, I have decided not to return home now that I have come of age. I have sworn my oaths with the Sisters of the Holy Cross of Saint Seraphine in witness, and will take up sword and shield to prove my worth as a knight-errant.

Perhaps, Goddess willing, I will also discover what doom befell Father and Mother after two decades.

Yours in love, and always,
Célestina

"Ludmilla's tastes are fortunate for us, are they not? This way, there is less competition for drink," Tina points out with a smile.

The aspiring squire is resplendent in her red and white armor. She stands on guard at the wagon's rear, hands on the top of her kite shield and ready for action, her posture deliberately formal to help her look older and more studious. In one sense, this journey is not much different from life at the convent she grew up in. At dawn she would wake and recite the morning prayers to Luminaria, goddess of love, devotion and chivalric virtue. Then there would be morning exercises, now replaced by the feat of strapping on her armor without the help of a squire, followed by meditation and Scripture study, now replaced by long hours of staring out at dusty wilderness. Sariel's hopes of something new to learn and experience, she privately thought, were overoptimistic. That would come only when they got to the Wheel.

(Oh, and there would be the occasional moment of utter terror when the Canoness dropped by for inspections. Tina was fervently glad to bid farewell to that.)

Tina nods at her companions. She knows them passably well, enough to make polite conversation, and that suffices for the moment. The damsel, Amastacia, is the most un-guardlike person she has ever seen but her sisters would chastise her for judging by sight alone. She could appreciate sir Roadbound's strange if effective fighting technique but is most grateful for sir Blagettal's strong sword-arm at her side.

"Tell me more about this Lucky Star, sir Roadbound. Our friend seems to suggest you might find a wife there."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

Evan maintained his meditative position, and somehow gave the impression he was raising an eyebrow without actually doing so. Celestina had that odd habit of addressing him and Ector as 'sirs'. As he had understood, this denoted a rank or title that he certainly didn't hold. But the others undoubtedly perceived his habits as including odd foibles - straightforward as the Pure Way was in its teachings.

"Tychestoile is the central city of the Rota Fortuna. It is where we're going. I hardly know more about it than any of you. I don't known why Ector thinks I would search for a wife, unless he's making a joke at the practice of celibacy associated with many monasteries." The Abbot had spoke to him prior to Evan's departure and mentioned this as one outsider habit.

"Some of the Pure Way's brothers and sisters take up the vow of celibacy. I didn't."
Games
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 am Ector Blagettal

"Is possible," Ector muses, "If we could find large pheasent, and yellow fleshed tubers."

He looks at the other then shrugs, "She has made request."
Gordo licked his lips at the thought, then frowned. "I would have to check the map but if I recall we will reach a village by the end of the day. Our last stop before we reach the city. So as much as I adore your cooking Ector, you may be have the night off from that duty provided we make good time."
Arkrite wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 am He frowns at Gordo's story about Ludmilla, then shakes his head, "Am wondering if that one has any sense of taste left."
Ysariel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 am Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

"Ludmilla's tastes are fortunate for us, are they not? This way, there is less competition for drink," Tina points out with a smile.
The Tabaxi shakes his head. "It may be a family trait, on her paperwork she listed her full name as Ludmilla of Clan VileTongue."
Ysariel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 am
"Tell me more about this Lucky Star, sir Roadbound. Our friend seems to suggest you might find a wife there."
EnigmaticOne wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm Evan Roadbound

"Tychestoile is the central city of the Rota Fortuna. It is where we're going. I hardly know more about it than any of you. I don't known why Ector thinks I would search for a wife, unless he's making a joke at the practice of celibacy associated with many monasteries." The Abbot had spoke to him prior to Evan's departure and mentioned this as one outsider habit.

"Some of the Pure Way's brothers and sisters take up the vow of celibacy. I didn't."
Unlike the rest of you Gordo has been to this city before.

"Tychestoile is a beautiful and diverse city, I could chatter for hours about all there is to see there, in a city that is at the heart of such vast economic and cultural network. But no words from me will ever be quite as astounding as when you experience it for yourselves. Although a word of warning, for all its splendors it is a city full of many types of people including the type that would happily deceive or abuse the unwary for their own ends. More than once I've had to comfort a friend who carelessly agreed to something that seemed too good to be true, and lost much when it proved false. But such things are hardly unique to the Rota after all."

As you chat back and forth the caravan enters a shallow pass between a series of hills, the forests around the road begin to thicken.

Everyone make me a perception check.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Why must Ector be joking? Evan is so serious, needs a lovely girl to make him smile. Is good for him," Ector says serenely, "But is okay, Ector understand. Family is good, but must see world first, yes?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Well, I was mostly curious about what I've heard about cooking with wine. That the food retains the flavor but not the aspect which makes you drunk. Mother wouldn't let me touch any wine, says a researcher needs to keep a smart mind."

OOC: Perception check: Pe: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19 Should say Perception check for the roll, but finger slipped and hit roll button too soon.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"What I seek is enlightenment." Evan responded. "After enlightenment... we shall see."
Games
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is correct. Cooking with wine give taste, but not give inebriation. Could drink entire dwarf army beneath table and only concern would be ruptured bladder!" Ector guffaws.