D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EnigmaticOne

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

Well, Evan reflected, this was something new and interesting. "Tell me what needs to be done."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Psistrike wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel began to closely examine the remains of the trap, something was definitely off about it. If only they had gotten ahold of one intact.

OOC: Arcana check: Arcana check: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
Your able to piece together roughly what the traps looked like before they were triggered, and as Nelly said most of it looks like typical tribal goblinoid engineering... except the central triggering mechanism. While none of the traps were identical their triggers were all based around some sort of runestone. It looks like the stones were surrounded by some manner of combustible or explosive material which could be ignited remotely by activating the runes. You remember one of the bandits using a device to activate them.

You can tell these runes aren't terribly powerful, they can basically imitate the cantrip Prestidigitation's ability to light a small fire and nothing else but they were definitely created by a skilled arcanist of some sort. They also use runes you recognize as being from the Draconic script, mostly variations on the draconic word for 'spark'.

Certainly an odd thing for goblins to build traps around. You relay what you found out about the traps to the repair team, while the magical stuff goes over their heads your explanation of how the traps triggered and propelled materials into their target helps the team pinpoint spots on the wagon to shore up.
-------
One Success.
Arkrite wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 pm Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Ector hums to himself as he starts working on the soup.

First he pulled out some salted meat and threw it into one pot, less to cook and more pull as much salt out of the meat as he could. He also pulled out some dried sausages and chopped them into tiny pieces. The soup base was the bones from a bird that he been yesterday's dinner. The rest of the meal was some tubers they'd bought from a villages they'd passed through, as well as the various plants he'd been able to find over the last few days (but hadn't worked their way into another meal).

He also threw in some dried barley to help round it out a bit.

All in all it wasn't the greatest soup in existence, even with a helping of some spices from his kit. But it smelled good, and it certainly beat meal after meal of hardtack and jerkey.

Once the soup was almost done he added some dumplings to the mix and started preparing to serve. Normally everybody got similar fair servings until everybody was fed, then any leftovers were dealt with in the fairest manner he could accomplish. Today? Ector made a note that Bogdan, Ruwa and Gatto got extra shares.

Bogdan and Ruwa would need a little extra to help recover from their wounds. Feeding Gatto more kept the man content, and saved Ector time in the long run. Feed Gatto more now, or hear how Gatto would like/need more later.

It was hard to complain too much though. It was always nice when people enjoyed your cooking, after all.
The smell of your wonderful cooking wafts through the camp, noses twitch and mouths water. The thought of one of your wonderful meals once the jobs are done make everyone in camp put a little more enthusiasm into their work.

When all is said and done everybody is going to enjoy your wonderful hearty soup.
---
Two successes
EnigmaticOne wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:26 pm Evan Roadbound

Well, Evan reflected, this was something new and interesting. "Tell me what needs to be done."

While you are indeed able to get places under the wagon that the others can't, you don't have a great deal of experience with repairs. This results in a variety of small mistakes and set-backs: a dropped piece here, a misheard instruction there, and so on. Often you have to restart a task after you did something incorrectly, which adds time to the repairs.

Even with your great self control you find it frustrating.
-----
Two successes, one failure.
Alright that just leaves Celestina.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)

Tina nods at once. A knight lived to serve: mainly in battle, but not always. There were those among the aristocracy that took noble birth to mean a higher status, while forgetting that it came with equally weighty responsibilities.

She is not even a proper knight yet, not yet a member of any one of those great militant orders of the Faith -- the Knights Exemplar, the Twelve Swords, the Chevaliers of the White Rose. She will have plenty ahead of her to do to live up to those lofty examples.

Tina sets down her shield and sword and flexes her arms. "I'm no cartwright nor carpenter, but I've got a strong back and a good sword-arm." She grins, knowing she doesn't look the part but could handily beat most youths her age at arm-wrestling. Or just wrestling. "Let me know if you need anything lifted, jammed or levered into place, and I'll be pleased to do whatever I can."

She has to take off her gauntlets to get a good solid grip on things, but soon she is in the thick of it, holding things steady for Evan while hammering replacement parts into place. Unfortunately, the hands that are so precise at putting blades between ribs and shields before innocents are a little less so at working with wood and nails. To top it all off, she manages to hammer her thumb by accident at some point, resulting in an embarrassingly girlish yelp of pain and a lot of hopping around on one foot waving her hand about. Tina is very certain that a great many people are being sufficiently polite to not point out that if she'd tried to help Sariel instead with the trap she would probably have killed herself by accident. The delicious smell of Ector's cooking is just about the only bright spot in the debacle.

OOC
D&D Tina Str check: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6

It's official: I've used up my luck for the rest of the campaign!
stavaros_the_arcane

Celestina's inexperience with this sort of manual labor brings its share of setbacks for the repairs. Its frustrating and by the end of it you feel drained and embarrassed. The three drivers are polite and kind enough not to laugh or scold you or Evan for your respective fumbles... Ludmilla on the other hand does a poor job of hiding her snickering. Right up until a wagon wheel got dropped on her foot.

Which was totally an accident, an honest to gods accident and not an intentional act of revenge. That would be petty.

------
Right, two success and two failures.
So those two successes reduce the overall time that the repair jobs takes, so the the time is reduced from five hours down to three.
So you finish by early afternoon (about 2 o'clock) which gives you time to reach the nearest town before nightfall.
-------

Three hours of difficult and frustrating work later and the wagons are as fit to travel as they are going to get. After a quick break to enjoy the delicious meal that Ector prepared, the caravan packs up and begins the trek to Hollowbrook.

Three further hours of rickety wagon riding later you reach the village of Hollowbrook, a quaint little village built around the trade road. There are many small communities like this across the Rota making a living providing food and services to merchants and the large trade cities.

As you reach the village the wagons are on their last leg and it is obvious. As the caravan reaches the entrance of the village you are met by a small group of people. Most of them look like average villagers: workmen of some sort, a few look like scribes of some sort. Three stand out from the rest; a Halfling man wearing a expensive looking vest and a silver chain with a sigil of authority, a stocky human woman dressed as a durable work clothes who is paying more attention to the state of your wagons than any of your people, and finally a tall lanky man in a blue uniform with a finely waxed mustache.

The Halfling clears his throat, "Welcome to Hollowbrook, I am Longfellow Underhill the village Headman. With me are Winoa Wonderwheel owner of Wonderwheel Wagons and Wheelwrights, as well as Watch Sergeant Antonio Azito the head of our local constabulary." The other two gave a nod.

Headman Underhill continued "One of the villagers spotted your approach and commented on the state of your wagons. Decided it would be prudent to get Winoa and her crew out here to meet you."

Your employers start talking with the Headman. Meanwhile Winoa ignores them, walks up and gently kicks a wheel on the lead wagon, which causes one of the spokes to snap. "What in the Nine Hells happened to these wagons, they look like their being held together by spit and desperation?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Civilisation is a relief. Behind stout walls, enveloped by the warmth of a hearth or crackling fireplace and surrounded by the order and calm of civilised life is where Tina felt at home.

It was the rise of civilisation that allowed the worship of Luminaria to displace that of older, Druidic goddesses of fertility and harvest. Sky-clad rituals begging for rain, blood sacrifices laid out before stone altars, and women praying for children stout and strong were no more. In their place rose cathedrals and churches and a dangerous idea, anathema to those primordial deities: the dogma of love and sex as worthy causes of their own, expressions of divinity pure and true, not mere adjuncts to the cycle of birth and death. Sometimes Tina wondered if the now-humbled gods felt any resentment over the issue.

Tina nods in greeting to the gathered townspeople and smiles at the madame Wonderwheel. "We were attacked by bandits and had to make some very urgent repairs. Very hasty ones, too," she adds with a polite cough, then turns to her new acquaintances. "On that subject, I must speak with the watch sergeant. I leave the wagon's care to you," she says to her companions, and makes a graceful retreat before anyone can point out that she fixed the spike that Madame Wonderwheel has just kicked in.

She walks over to Sergeant Azito, introducing herself with a nod of respect as Célestina d'Alienor. It would be presumptuous to add her rank, so she omits it unless necessary. "Sir, we were attacked by bandits en route, and fended them off. Several goblins and human bandits escaped. I thought it best to let you know in case any seek refuge here or attempt to trouble the residents."

A pause, and then something strikes her.

"Do you deal with banditry often? The pass a few hours' journey from here --" and she describes the road between the hills where they were ambushed -- "sounds like an ideal spot to waylay travellers."
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:29 am Célestina d'Alienor (Tina)She walks over to Sergeant Azito, introducing herself with a nod of respect as Célestina d'Alienor. It would be presumptuous to add her rank, so she omits it unless necessary. "Sir, we were attacked by bandits en route, and fended them off. Several goblins and human bandits escaped. I thought it best to let you know in case any seek refuge here or attempt to trouble the residents."

A pause, and then something strikes her.

"Do you deal with banditry often? The pass a few hours' journey from here --" and she describes the road between the hills where they were ambushed -- "sounds like an ideal spot to waylay travellers."
The uniformed policeman gives a bit of a start when you address him and mention bandits. "Oh dear, brigands this close to Hollowbrook? That is a most disturbing development. We haven't had anything like that in all the time I've been in charge of the constabulary here, we mostly deal with local issues and the occasional unruly traveler. The Garrison of Tychestoile tends to deploy military troops to crack down hard on any bandit activity major enough to disrupt trade. On rare occasion lone travelers or small groups will be accosted by highwaymen but its unheard of for it to be a large enough group to dare attack a caravan."

As you speak with the Watch sergeant you remember hearing from your fellow Caravaners that in the Rota order is kept by two separate organizations: A police force usually referred to as The Watch which handles keeping the peace within communities, and a professional military commonly called The Garrison which handles external threats such as invaders, banditry, and occasionally monsters.

The Sergeant rubs his mustache somewhat nervously. "I shall most certainly send off reports about these events to my superiors and the military liaison in the city as well as have my constables on alert. Preventing a repeat occurrence is top priority, there are enough dangers on the road without brigands about stirring up trouble.You did say goblins and humans were among the attackers, yes? How odd. As far as I'm aware the local goblin communities tend to be quite isolationist and rarely have dealings with humans. Did you notice anything specific about your attackers that could help us identify the group?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Ah, the wagons. That is a tale, my dear Wonderwheel. The bandits set up an ambush, explosives, and combustibles wrapped around runestones with a Draconic script so they could trigger them remotely. Only by a bit of luck did no one get harmed badly, either by the explosions or the bandit attack. Some patchwork was done just to get us here, these wagons have seen better days. I just hope this isn't a sign of someone organizing the local criminals into a more dangerous force."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Spit and desperation. Is recipe Ector make once," He says sagely before shaking his head, "Is not good."

"Next time? More desperation,"
He frowns, "Less spit."
Sariel Amastacia wrote: "I just hope this isn't a sign of someone organizing the local criminals into a more dangerous force."
"Is already there, Ector is thinking. Use complicated ambush, have matching uniforms and carry matching tokens," Ector crosses hiss arms and looks off into the distance as if considering something, "Is troubling. Had Ector's friends not been so vigilant? Am thinking ambush would have been successful."
stavaros_the_arcane

Psistrike wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:09 am Sariel Amastacia

"Ah, the wagons. That is a tale, my dear Wonderwheel. The bandits set up an ambush, explosives, and combustibles wrapped around runestones with a Draconic script so they could trigger them remotely. Only by a bit of luck did no one get harmed badly, either by the explosions or the bandit attack. Some patchwork was done just to get us here, these wagons have seen better days. I just hope this isn't a sign of someone organizing the local criminals into a more dangerous force."

Winoa's eyes widen at the description. "DAAAAMN, that's some serious shit. No wonder these poor wagons are in such a sorry state. You're lucky they held together long enough to get you here. Being stuck out there with that kind of trouble would be a nightmare."

Your description also catches the attention of the Sergeant as he discusses with Celestina. He pulls out a small notebook and a writing utensil and begins furiously taking notes about what you and Celestina have said so far. The more you say, the more his face pales. "Oh my this sounds even more serious than I thought. Bandits are enough of a problem, ones that are not only Organizing, but also have access to magical and alchemical supplies sounds like a disaster in the making."
Arkrite wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 am Ector Blagettal

"Spit and desperation. Is recipe Ector make once," He says sagely before shaking his head, "Is not good."

"Next time? More desperation,"
He frowns, "Less spit."
Winoa stares at you for a moment before she bursts out laughing. You can see her workmen chuckling as well. "You're a funny one, I like that. Should be interesting having you around for a while. And I do mean a while, just from looking at them I can tell these wagons are going to need a full overhaul."

The Merchants don't look too pleased at that assessment. It sounds expensive.
Arkrite wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 am
Sariel Amastacia wrote: "I just hope this isn't a sign of someone organizing the local criminals into a more dangerous force."
"Is already there, Ector is thinking. Use complicated ambush, have matching uniforms and carry matching tokens," Ector crosses hiss arms and looks off into the distance as if considering something, "Is troubling. Had Ector's friends not been so vigilant? Am thinking ambush would have been successful."
The sergeant continues to scribble information down as he asks for as many details about the attack as you can give. He waves over two of his constables, "Constable Gilbert! I need you to go back to the constabulary and go through the most recent reports and rumors of banditry from the last few months. Something about these bandits wearing uniforms sounds vaguely familiar. Constable Sullivan! I need you to go speak with Elder Abel, ask him for any information he can provide about the local Goblin tribes and this magical business. If I recall correctly some goblin tribes carry tokens that identify their affliation."

The Sergeant turns back to as the Constables rush off, nearly tripping over themselves in their haste. " The Elder is the most learned person in town and might be able to shed some light on these circumstances. He's one of the few people in the village with an extensive knowledge of matters magical. Between that and his knowledge of local history he might be able to help us figure out what we're dealing with."

When he's done taking notes he looks at you all, "I will begin an investigation into the matter post haste, and will keep you informed of its progress. If you remember or learn anything else about these brigands do come by the station and let us know."
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Awhile? Hmmm," Ector frowned. That could be problematic. But traveling without a caravan would be even more dangerous. And costly. Hopefully it wasn't too long to wait at this town.

Though, he admitted to himself, he was more worried about how long they'd have to camp out next to a town. And if they were still being paid for that time.

If this went on long enough they might have to find side jobs while the wagons were repaired. He regretted the fact that he knew nothing about repairing wagons.

Shrugging he turned his attention back to Gatto, "You are requiring us? Or are we being free to explore the town? Ector is curious to see the local spices and produce."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

What the Watch Sergeant says makes sense, and Tina nods. "One of the human bandits fled at once when the lady Sariel created the illusion of oncoming soldiers with her sorcery. They clearly were not expecting a response from the Garrison." But something about this does not sit right with her. How did the bandits know that Garrison troops would not be in the area?

What Sariel says also worries her a little. There are always rabble-rousers looking to use the desperate and unfortunate, stirring them up to support this or that selfish cause, and very few have the welfare of the poor souls they take advantage of in mind. She adds whatever else she observed of the bandits: their generally poor gear, contrasted with some attempt at a uniform. "All the human bandits were wearing scarlet capes, some threadbare, but recognisably uniform. The goblins all had an ornament on them as well, a handcrafted emblem of a wolf head with a mound behind it, encircled by goblin symbols." At this point she is mentally chiding herself for not pocketing one of the medallions. A useful clue, wasted.

"Just one more thing, sir. One of the goblins shouted the word 'Delian' at me as he fled. I don't know what that means, but perhaps you or one of your people do."

She smiles as the Sergeant sends the constable scurrying off. "I'll let you know if we discover anything more. Sir, do you mind if I or some of my friends accompany the Constable? The wagons will be here a while and perhaps I can help shed some light on the issue. I'm no good with woodwork and would rather be of service in some way."

She does not want to be left restless with nothing to do. Lady above, she's had her fill of that after days of guard duty.
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 am "All the human bandits were wearing scarlet capes, some threadbare, but recognisably uniform. The goblins all had an ornament on them as well, a handcrafted emblem of a wolf head with a mound behind it, encircled by goblin symbols." At this point she is mentally chiding herself for not pocketing one of the medallions. A useful clue, wasted.

"Just one more thing, sir. One of the goblins shouted the word 'Delian' at me as he fled. I don't know what that means, but perhaps you or one of your people do."

She smiles as the Sergeant sends the constable scurrying off. "I'll let you know if we discover anything more. Sir, do you mind if I or some of my friends accompany the Constable? The wagons will be here a while and perhaps I can help shed some light on the issue. I'm no good with woodwork and would rather be of service in some way."

She does not want to be left restless with nothing to do. Lady above, she's had her fill of that after days of guard duty.

"I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term." The Sergeant said. "I have no objections to you or your allies shadowing my constables or doing your own searching. Any help you can provide in the investigation is welcome. If you are doing so I'd recommend accompanying Sullivan to find Elder Abel, as Gilbert and likely myself will sorting through paperwork to find past reports that might be related. I feel your talents might of better use elsewhere until we find something related to those red clad brigands."

"Hey Tina, if your going on a gobbo hunt you can borrow one of my trophies." You hear Ludmilla call to you before tossing something your way. One of the Goblin ornaments lands at your feet; although when you pick it up you notice it still has some bits of its original owner stuck to it. The Policemen are visibly sickened at the sight.

The green dragonborn grins and adds, "You can buy me a drink later to thank me."

Arkrite wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:05 am Ector Blagettal

"Awhile? Hmmm," Ector frowned. That could be problematic. But traveling without a caravan would be even more dangerous. And costly. Hopefully it wasn't too long to wait at this town.

Though, he admitted to himself, he was more worried about how long they'd have to camp out next to a town. And if they were still being paid for that time.

If this went on long enough they might have to find side jobs while the wagons were repaired. He regretted the fact that he knew nothing about repairing wagons.

Shrugging he turned his attention back to Gatto, "You are requiring us? Or are we being free to explore the town? Ector is curious to see the local spices and produce."

Winoa nodded as her crew started leading the wagons into town. "Yup, awhile. Over a week at minimum."

Efrix sighed, "Right lets get our merchandise to the warehouse the Headman rented to us, get the horses to the stables, so Mistress Wonderwheel can get the wagons back to her workshop. Gordo please explain the details to the freelancers."

Gordo nods and beckons you all over. "Ector, Celestine, Evan, Sariel. If you'll bare with me a few minutes I will explain everything. Our caravan is unavoidably delayed here, as Freelance Adventurers you have some options the rest of staff don't. According to your contracts if you wish you can terminate your employment with us and make your own way to the city, in which case we will pay you for your service so far. However if you remain with us until we can get back on the road, we will continue our obligation to provide food, shelter, and payment to you albeit with some slight changes. Mr. Underhill has graciously agreed to arrange for us to be lodged here in Hollowbrook at the Good Knight Inn, as our employees your rooms would be covered under our tab. We will also provide each of you with some expense funds for meals and the like. Now the rest of the guards will be watching over our goods in the warehouse we've rented until the repairs are complete, as freelancers you are not obligated to do the same. You are free to explore the town and surrounding area, pick up side jobs, go adventuring locally, or even drink yourself into a stupor if any of your were so inclined as long as you are here to accompany us when we depart. It is a fair degree of freedom is it not?"

He pauses, letting you process the situation. "I know this delay is inconvenient for you who are eager to reach Tychestoile but chances are attempting to reach the city by yourselves would likely not save you enough time to be worth the added cost and danger. I hope you'll all stay on with us as you've been fine company on the journey."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"There is no need for rush." Evan assured Gordo. "I am willing to retain my job."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Ector is willing to wait. Give him time to sample local cuisine, and chance to restock for trip," Ector nods slowly.

He looks at the town and gives it a long hard look, "Is local town even having work for people such as us? Ector is feel he needs to work the rust off before he starts getting sloppy in fight."

He shrugs, "Maybe Ector get lucky and Garrison find bandits. He owe crossbowman a rematch, yes?"

His scarred face screws up into an ugly smile.
stavaros_the_arcane

EnigmaticOne wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:49 pm Evan Roadbound

"There is no need for rush." Evan assured Gordo. "I am willing to retain my job."
Arkrite wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 pm Ector Blagettal

"Ector is willing to wait. Give him time to sample local cuisine, and chance to restock for trip," Ector nods slowly.
"You don't know how happy I am to hear that my friends." Gordo says with a sigh of relief.
Arkrite wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 pm He looks at the town and gives it a long hard look, "Is local town even having work for people such as us? Ector is feel he needs to work the rust off before he starts getting sloppy in fight."

He shrugs, "Maybe Ector get lucky and Garrison find bandits. He owe crossbowman a rematch, yes?"

His scarred face screws up into an ugly smile.
The Tabaxi returns the smile. "Trust me my friend; in a town like this away from the major city centers, surrounded by wilderness, there's always work to be found for adventurers. Whether or not they find a lead on those Brigands while we're here or not."