D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Psistrike

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Just as she began to relax again, the sudden hug from the young woman startled her a bit but she couldn't help but feel overjoyed they had been quick enough to rescue her. Resting to get some of the wind back in her sail, she had had some close calls in the past before, but never from an arrow shot by a goblin. "Well, now that this whole mess is over we can head back to town for some true rest. Though that letter indicates we have a lot of trouble in our future from the dragon organizing these criminals. Or some other adventurers do. Now let us be off before something else requires our attention."

Right as she said those words she heard Ector say the word "Oath" and the statue speak before the hidden entrance revealed itself. "Should have seen that one coming from a league away with my luck. Come on, let's go see what lies in this room."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 am Recette looks at your spoils with an appraising eye you would not have expected from a girl her age. She seems to be doing math under her breath. "I think there's more stuff in those chests over there."
Ector holds out the keys for her, "Am thinking that is probably one of these."

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 am The moment that Ector says the word "Oath" you could swear that the eyes of the statue glowed for a second. You all just barely hear a ghostly echo, as though someone was whispering softly in your ear from behind. "I, Sextus Varius, swear the Delian Oath. To serve Law, battle chaos, and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore."

Ector blinks looking around as the door opens in the wall.

"Ah... so Ector is thinking goblins were right. Place is haunted," He nods sagely, "Still, is good haunting."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound
HP: 8/10
Arkrite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:12 amEctor blinks looking around as the door opens in the wall.

"Ah... so Ector is thinking goblins were right. Place is haunted," He nods sagely, "Still, is good haunting."
"Or some prepared magic." Evan countered. "Kept for members of the order. Why did they want to defile the tomb?"
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:12 am Ector Blagettal

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 am Recette looks at your spoils with an appraising eye you would not have expected from a girl her age. She seems to be doing math under her breath. "I think there's more stuff in those chests over there."
Ector holds out the keys for her, "Am thinking that is probably one of these."
Recette takes the keys and runs over to the pair of chests. After trying a few different keys she fines the right ones and unlocks the two chests and pushes them open.

One of them open to reveal the gleam of coins, the other the rustle of paper and parchment. Recette is fixated on the coins immediately and starts counting them while Tear flies off her shoulder to look at the documents.

Recette cheers. "EEE! There's got to be like a hundred gold in here! Capitalism Ho!"
Tear chuckles before going back to skimming the documents. "...interesting. Shipment manifests, delivery locations, personnel numbers and distributions... someone was meticulous with their paperwork. Oh that's different, 'Ritoo-al Sak-rilige fer Idjits'."

Both of them are startled and look over as the secret door opens.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina beams as the girl is freed and Evans returns to consciousness. But the letter addressed to "Glassstaff" leaves her with plenty to think about. Beyond reinforcing what they already knew about a dragon rallying goblin tribes to its service, it hinted at more nefarious things afoot -- magical experiments and desecrations. But what for? There is an optimistic sign, however. Gravak referred to the wyrm as a "tiny temper tantrum dragon". Perhaps this was not a full-grown specimen yet, the sort that slaughtered armies as fodder and melted castles and fortresses. There is hope.

She nods Sariel over to look at the missive. "Sariel, your thoughts on this, please. If you have any insight as to what this dragon might be plotting, I would like to hear it."

A brief assessment of their unexpected spoils, and she smiles at Recette. "Your favor is greatly appreciated, Recette. I'll be sure to give your business my patronage wherever possible."

A pause as she realizes the hasty promise she just made. After all, she doesn't yet know what kind of prices the enterprising young woman charges. But then her smile broadens into a grin. "If you'd be so kind, I'd also appreciate any help you could offer in having the rest of our spoils appraised and sold and the gold split evenly among my companions. Except for this," she says, holding up the holy symbol of Maglubiyet. "I'd like to show it, along with Gravuk's letter, to the commander-in-charge of the Garrison of Tychestoile. The city must be warned."

At the opening of the secret door Tina is all business again. She unsheathes her sword,

"I don't think it's a haunting," she says to Ector, although even as she does a chill runs down her spine as she recalls childhood tales of oathbreakers doomed to live on as ghosts, trapped in the mortal realm to uphold vows they abandoned in life. "I believe Evans is correct. Many of the great chivalric orders had relics and trophies sacred to them. This may be one such vault."

Tina hesitates at the doorstep. Would the order, were its members present, approve of her trespass? After all she is not one of theirs. Not even a proper knight sworn to one of the great chivalric orders. Merely the offspring of a struggling, faltering house, doomed perhaps to obscurity within her generation. Not worthy to be here.

If she knows what secret lies here she may discern why the dragon wanted this tomb defiled, she reasons at least. And she may be able to discourage her companions against selling it for profit. After examining her motives she steps forth through the door, looking around warily for traps.

OOC

Tina will step through the secret door and make a perception check to see what's around inside. Step through as in she will literally be in the square after the door, if that turns out to be significant.

Perception 1d20+1: 2 [1d20=1] Blerg
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 am Tear chuckles before going back to skimming the documents. "...interesting. Shipment manifests, delivery locations, personnel numbers and distributions... someone was meticulous with their paperwork. Oh that's different, 'Ritoo-al Sak-rilige fer Idjits'."
"Ector will be taking that one," He says with a grunt, "Am thinking terrible paper will make acceptable kindling for good fire to make great cookies."

The last thing he wanted was people getting a hold of that kind of document. Nothing good could come from it.
Ysariel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 pm "If you'd be so kind, I'd also appreciate any help you could offer in having the rest of our spoils appraised and sold and the gold split evenly among my companions. Except for this," she says, holding up the holy symbol of Maglubiyet. "I'd like to show it, along with Gravuk's letter, to the commander-in-charge of the Garrison of Tychestoile. The city must be warned."
Ector nods, "Is reasonable request."
Ysariel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 pm "I don't think it's a haunting," she says to Ector, although even as she does a chill runs down her spine as she recalls childhood tales of oathbreakers doomed to live on as ghosts, trapped in the mortal realm to uphold vows they abandoned in life. "I believe Evans is correct. Many of the great chivalric orders had relics and trophies sacred to them. This may be one such vault."
"Is probably that you are right," Ector says, "But if Ector is right? A knight holding to duty over even death? Blessed by gods?"

He shrugs, "Am thinking being respectful is good idea. Even if not ghosts, Delian knights served good, fought evil. Is worthy of respect. "

He also got the feeling that he hadn't gotten the secret answer for the door. The door didn't open when he said oath, the voice spoke. And then the door opened.

He was fairly sure that riddle was a hint to what the real password was, and that the voice he'd heard speaking had opened the door for them.

He followed behind Tina, though he hadn't bothered to pull out his own weapon, somehow he felt confidant that there wasn't another monster waiting for them.

That and he'd already forgotten about the traps leading into the room they were already in.
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 pm Célestina (Tina)
A brief assessment of their unexpected spoils, and she smiles at Recette. "Your favor is greatly appreciated, Recette. I'll be sure to give your business my patronage wherever possible."

A pause as she realizes the hasty promise she just made. After all, she doesn't yet know what kind of prices the enterprising young woman charges. But then her smile broadens into a grin. "If you'd be so kind, I'd also appreciate any help you could offer in having the rest of our spoils appraised and sold and the gold split evenly among my companions. Except for this," she says, holding up the holy symbol of Maglubiyet. "I'd like to show it, along with Gravuk's letter, to the commander-in-charge of the Garrison of Tychestoile. The city must be warned."
Arkrite wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 am Ector nods, "Is reasonable request."
Recette gives a smile and claps her hands together. "You got it. Once we get out of here and get back to my shop changing the items for coin should be no problem.
Arkrite wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 am Ector Blagettal
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 am Tear chuckles before going back to skimming the documents. "...interesting. Shipment manifests, delivery locations, personnel numbers and distributions... someone was meticulous with their paperwork. Oh that's different, 'Ritoo-al Sak-rilige fer Idjits'."
"Ector will be taking that one," He says with a grunt, "Am thinking terrible paper will make acceptable kindling for good fire to make great cookies."

The last thing he wanted was people getting a hold of that kind of document. Nothing good could come from it.
"The sooner that horrible thing is disposed of the better" Tear agrees. "No magic or knowledge contained in that could possibly be used for anything decent."

She looked over to Celestina. "For what little I've looked at here I think the documents in this chest along with that letter should be very useful to the Garrison and the Watch for dealing with both these goblins and the bandits."
Ysariel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 pm At the opening of the secret door Tina is all business again. She unsheathes her sword,

"I don't think it's a haunting," she says to Ector, although even as she does a chill runs down her spine as she recalls childhood tales of oathbreakers doomed to live on as ghosts, trapped in the mortal realm to uphold vows they abandoned in life. "I believe Evans is correct. Many of the great chivalric orders had relics and trophies sacred to them. This may be one such vault."

Tina hesitates at the doorstep. Would the order, were its members present, approve of her trespass? After all she is not one of theirs. Not even a proper knight sworn to one of the great chivalric orders. Merely the offspring of a struggling, faltering house, doomed perhaps to obscurity within her generation. Not worthy to be here.

If she knows what secret lies here she may discern why the dragon wanted this tomb defiled, she reasons at least. And she may be able to discourage her companions against selling it for profit. After examining her motives she steps forth through the door, looking around warily for traps.

OOC

Tina will step through the secret door and make a perception check to see what's around inside. Step through as in she will literally be in the square after the door, if that turns out to be significant.

Perception 1d20+1: 2 [1d20=1] Blerg
The new area is very dark, while the rest of this crypt had torches and other light sources lit by its recent invaders this area does not. You'll have to use your own torches to light the way here. The dust on the ground is thick and undisturbed, clearly its been a long time since anyone stepped foot here.

You don't see anything unusual that would indicate a hidden threat, there seems to be a short passageway before opening up into another large area but its hard to make out the details with only the light from the doorway behind you.
Arkrite wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 am "Is probably that you are right," Ector says, "But if Ector is right? A knight holding to duty over even death? Blessed by gods?"

He shrugs, "Am thinking being respectful is good idea. Even if not ghosts, Delian knights served good, fought evil. Is worthy of respect. "

He also got the feeling that he hadn't gotten the secret answer for the door. The door didn't open when he said oath, the voice spoke. And then the door opened.

He was fairly sure that riddle was a hint to what the real password was, and that the voice he'd heard speaking had opened the door for them.

He followed behind Tina, though he hadn't bothered to pull out his own weapon, somehow he felt confidant that there wasn't another monster waiting for them.

That and he'd already forgotten about the traps leading into the room they were already in.
Ector's orcish eyes let him get a better view of the dark room that Celestina's human ones. He sees a number of large rectangular objects arrayed around the newly revealed room.

OOC: Ector roll me a religion check.

The room ahead is dark so if you want to see normally (or at all if you don't have dark vision) you'll need a light source.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector walks further into the room looking around.

"Good news is: no goblins."
OOC: Religion Check: 1d20+2 17
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm Ector Blagettal

Ector walks further into the room looking around.

"Good news is: no goblins."
OOC: Religion Check: 1d20+2 17
Based on the parts of the room he can see, Ector quickly recognizes this room for what it is: A Burial Chamber. The large objects in the room are stone sarcophagi belonging to knights of the Delian Order that won particularly high honors in life. It looks like the walls of the chamber also have smaller compartment bearing the names and remains of more of the knights.

It seems that the Delian Order went to extensive lengths to ensure the bodies of their fallen would not be disturbed.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina nods at Tear over her shoulder and makes a mental note to ensure that all the documents are safely accounted for and brought back for the Garrison's benefit, per the fairy's recommendation. She absolutely wants a proper military force on this case if possible. Fortunately, documents are easy to move.

The darkness stops her advance. Laying her sword down beside her for a moment, Tina retrieves a candle from her pack, lights it with her tinderbox. "I concede you may be correct," she says to Ector. "But... I would like to be sure. To make it safe, for one. To know what is inside that our dragon overlord was so keen on having desecrated, in the event it helps us foil their future plans, for another. If a knight is here, bound by oaths beyond death... let me answer to him or her."

She holds the candle high in her gloved hand, and walks into the darkened room beyond. "A burial chamber," she says at last, reading off the names of the knights whose remains lay interred. Tina isn't sure what she had expected. Some kind of legendary relic or holy weapon, or some ancient guardian spirit standing watch over treasures beyond count, perhaps? Something out of fairytales and fables. But the reality before her makes a lot more sense. Tina has heard of sorcery to raise the dead and rouse corpses to service - perhaps that was part of the goblins' plot.

"We should go," she says at last. "Leave the dead to rest in peace." She makes a gesture of respect and turns to leave. It was time to go.

Outside, she tosses Gravak's letter and Maglubiyet into the chest full of documents and slams it shut for easy carrying. "We should leave," she says, "before word gets to the goblins and they send reinforcements. The only problem is... how do we get that secret door to close again?"

OOC

I have a priest's pack which includes 10 candles and a tinderbox, I think. So that's 1 candle used. And conveniently, Tina also has Kn: Religion.
1d20+2: 17 [1d20=15]

Conveniently that's exactly what Ector rolled as well. So I'm going to assume that Tina also got the same information he has, though that may not be the case, if you feel their religious education may be different enough. In that case then I'll retract the latter part of my post.
stavaros_the_arcane

As you bring light into the burial chamber, a clear view of the sarcophagi reveals seven of them, two rows of three on either side of the entrance and one on the far wall. Each bears the name of the knight within and a list of their noble deeds.

The far one is larger and more elaborate than the others, bearing the carved image of the same knight as the other artwork you've encountered in the tomb. 'Here lies Sextus Varius, Grand Master of the Delian Order, Hero of the Feldrake war. Slayer of Dragons and Bane of Chaos'.

As your group turn to withdraw from the chamber you hear the same unnatural whisper that you heard when the secret door opened.

"Hold a moment worthy souls, I would have words with you. You have done a great service for the Delian Order and I would see proper gratitude delivered."

A spectral figure rises from the grave of Sextus Varius. The Ghostly form of an armored knight of the Delian Order stands before you.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector turns to see the ghost, touching two fingers to his forehead, then to his heart, then places a palm to his stomach and rubs it counter clockwise, a respectful gesture of Slog, usually reserved for when encountering the dead or when offering a blessing.

"Hail, Sir Varius," he says bowing to the ghost, "Am Ector Blagettal, humble disciple of Slog."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel just looked at the spirit of Sextus Varius before them, she had gotten used to seeing spirits over the years. At least this one was friendly. "Hello, Sextus Varius. I am Sariel Amastacia, daughter of Queen Amastacia and goddaughter of a Sidhe queen. Sorry, she refuses to tell me her name. I hope my 'gifts' aren't an insult to this sacred site of your order."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina gasps as the ghostly figure rises before them. As her companions greet him (deeply impressing her with how well they keep her composure when faced with an honest-to-goddess GHOST), she thinks. That name seems familiar.

Sextus Varus...

She remembers. Elder Abel mentioned his name when they sought his advice. Great hero of the Fel-drake war, just as she now reads on his tomb. In fact, he is likely the same holy paladin featured on the huge, defaced bas-relief they saw out in the main hall.

And then --

And then, moved by some impulse she cannot explain, Tina steps forward and speaks:

"Sir, in life you were a bane of dragons. For gratitude, I would have your counsel on how to deal with one of their kind."

Maybe all this is vanity. Maybe this is the hollow ambition of a daughter of a house nearly spent, its glory days long gone: grasping for a prize beyond her reach, daring to think herself equal to the great heroes of eld. This way ruin and damnnation lie. She remembers her dream, slipping and falling down the Diamond Stairs, tumbling into the fathomless depths.

Or maybe this is not. Here at Tychestoile are fortunes made and broken. If this is to be the last hurrah of her line, why not chance it all upon a turn of the Golden Wheel?

She recounts, in three to four brief sentences, what she knows so far: the attack on the caravan using traps laid partly with draconic runes; how the Howling Hills tribe had recently had a change in leadership; how their new, warlike deity, the "Black One", was certainly some kind of dragon.

"I plan to head to Tychestoile with evidence of the Black One's doings and alert the Garrison there," she finishes. "But if that does not suffice, or if we are attacked on the way, I would beg your advice on how to fight a dragon."

OOC
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:04 am Ector Blagettal

Ector turns to see the ghost, touching two fingers to his forehead, then to his heart, then places a palm to his stomach and rubs it counter clockwise, a respectful gesture of Slog, usually reserved for when encountering the dead or when offering a blessing.

"Hail, Sir Varius," he says bowing to the ghost, "Am Ector Blagettal, humble disciple of Slog."
"Well met, Acolyte of the Chainbreaker." The Spirit of Sextus Varius greets the half-orc in turn. "You're deeds this day have helped prevent the tainting of my Orders legacy and the spilling of innocent blood. You have my thanks."
Psistrike wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:32 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel just looked at the spirit of Sextus Varius before them, she had gotten used to seeing spirits over the years. At least this one was friendly. "Hello, Sextus Varius. I am Sariel Amastacia, daughter of Queen Amastacia and goddaughter of a Sidhe queen. Sorry, she refuses to tell me her name. I hope my 'gifts' aren't an insult to this sacred site of your order."
The spirit turns to Sariel."The ways of the Fae are strange and often vexing, but worry not neither fae blood nor practice of arcane arts were condemned by the Delian Order. Although uncommon, throughout the history of the Order arcane magic users have taken the Oath and joined the order. Be welcome Daughter of Amastacia."
Ysariel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 pm Célestina (Tina)

Tina gasps as the ghostly figure rises before them. As her companions greet him (deeply impressing her with how well they keep her composure when faced with an honest-to-goddess GHOST), she thinks. That name seems familiar.

Sextus Varus...

She remembers. Elder Abel mentioned his name when they sought his advice. Great hero of the Fel-drake war, just as she now reads on his tomb. In fact, he is likely the same holy paladin featured on the huge, defaced bas-relief they saw out in the main hall.

And then --

And then, moved by some impulse she cannot explain, Tina steps forward and speaks:

"Sir, in life you were a bane of dragons. For gratitude, I would have your counsel on how to deal with one of their kind."

Maybe all this is vanity. Maybe this is the hollow ambition of a daughter of a house nearly spent, its glory days long gone: grasping for a prize beyond her reach, daring to think herself equal to the great heroes of eld. This way ruin and damnnation lie. She remembers her dream, slipping and falling down the Diamond Stairs, tumbling into the fathomless depths.

Or maybe this is not. Here at Tychestoile are fortunes made and broken. If this is to be the last hurrah of her line, why not chance it all upon a turn of the Golden Wheel?

She recounts, in three to four brief sentences, what she knows so far: the attack on the caravan using traps laid partly with draconic runes; how the Howling Hills tribe had recently had a change in leadership; how their new, warlike deity, the "Black One", was certainly some kind of dragon.

"I plan to head to Tychestoile with evidence of the Black One's doings and alert the Garrison there," she finishes. "But if that does not suffice, or if we are attacked on the way, I would beg your advice on how to fight a dragon."

OOC

As Sextus looks at Celestina, you all can almost feel the waves of nostalgic emotion radiating from the long dead knight. This is the spirit of a man who has had more young knights than he can count stand before and nervously beseech him for guidance and wisdom.
"Scion of House D'Alienor, you have doubts just like those that have plagued countless young knight before you. As once plagued me as I knelt before my predecessors as Grandmaster and first took my oath. Steel yourself and have faith young knight, and I believe you will go far."

" As for your request I will share what insight I may. What I have gleaned from those who would have defiled this tomb, this Black One is a very young dragon; with ambition and egotism that outstrips its years and grasp. Such as they do not have the personal power to forcibly gather wealth for their hoard, so they prey on the weak and intimidate smaller beings to do the work for them. While still dangerous, beasts like that were often hunted by young Delian knights to prove themselves. For fighting a black dragon of any age, beware their acid breath and keep the terrain in mind. Black dragon will use their ability to fly and swim to their advantage if they can."

The Ghostly Knight paused. "The Delian Order has struck fear into the hearts of Evil Dragons for generations, building on the legacy from my days among the living. Such fear is likely what made this wyrmling so desperate to blot out any trace of the order. Even long dead, the reputation of our knights haunts the nightmares of the beasts that would pray on the innocent.This beast has clearly also draw to itself other individuals seeking to use it to their own ends. This Hobgoblin Chief and these red clad bandits have no qualms in enabling its greedy and immature desires as long as they gain from it. In this was a small threat can grow to cause great harm if ignored for too long."

The Ghost appears thoughtful, he looks at all four of you as if taking your measure. "You four came to this sacred place not to pillage or defile but to preserve and protect. You have proven yourselves of noble nature and strong morals. I feel such deeds should be rewarded, and I believe I have a reward of suitable nature. However there is a condition that must be met before I can bestow it upon another."

Sextus Varius moves back to his sarcophagus and reaches his spectral arms through the stone. When he pulls them out again there is a distinctly non-spectral sword and sheath in one hand, something else gripped in the other. He turns back towards you.

"Among the Delian Order it is tradition that when one of us fell or could no longer fight that their equipment, particularly items of power, would be passed on to a worthy successor among the Order. This is the sword Kharaghul, the blade that I wielded in life. It was passed on to my successor but was returned here many years later by the last surviving knight of the Order before his death, to keep it safe as there were no more Delian Knights for him to pass it on to. The Delian Order had many hidden strongholds and archives across this land, to protect the treasures and knowledge from those who would misuse them. Only members of the Order were granted access...however anyone who proved themselves worthy could be inducted into our ranks and take the Oath."

Sextus opens his hand and reveal four polished steel pendants bearing the sigil of the Delian Order, a sword thrust downward through a dragon's skull surrounded by a laurel. "My offer and condition worthy souls: I will pass on my sword to you, if you will take the Oath of the Delian Order and allow me to induct you into our ranks. The Oath will not conflict with any prior oaths or allegiances you hold to monarch, deity, or organization, and should allow you access to any of the Order's hidden structures you come across, as well as rightful claim to their content. So worthy souls, will you accept?"