Jabverse- The Victory League (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Jabverse- The Victory League (IC)

Post by Jabroniville »

OKAY, WELCOME TO THE VICTORY LEAGUE, A JABVERSE GAME!:
* I named it after myself so I'd remember it, not because I'm a narcissist :).

THE RULES:
Please Don't Disappear:
I'd like people to at least post once per day if they could. But I get it- things happen. You can't always be around. I'll never be mad if you miss a day or two because of stuff. That's fine. But going away for a week without at least mentioning "Hey, I'm busy" isn't really cool. I'd appreciate a head's-up if you're gonna be away for a while. With ten players, it could really hold things up if we're all waiting on one guy.

Please Don't Over-Post:
I really can't emphasize this one enough. I love the enthusiasm, but I've been in this situation before. Not everyone can post all day long. Some people work day jobs that don't allow internet access, have strange hours (like me), or more. It can be INSANELY frustrating and discouraging for someone to log in and find 3-4 pages of stuff have gone by in the time you were away for only a short while.

Please do not over-post. There's no "magic number", but a few posts a day is all that's expected. Characters can have a conversation with each other, and that's fine, too- but post after post of chit-chat/small-talk could get annoying. Going too far over spams things unnecessarily, and punishes slower players. Again, with ten of us, it would be REALLY BAD if someone were to get bored and just post massive amounts of stuff.

I myself work full-time, and usually get up too late to post much in the "morning", so even I'll probably only post much when I get home from work. 1-3 posts a day is fine.

Keep Out-Of-Character Stuff to the "OOC" Page:
Feel free to add (OOC: "___________") stuff in the post with your character's In-Character stuff, though, if it frees up time. Just don't overload it :).

Standard Rules of Politeness Apply:
Shouldn't need to be said, but probably does anyway this being the internet, but please don't be rude, impatient, passive-aggressive, ACTUALLY aggressive, "I dislike you as a person so I'll be mean to your character", etc. to the other players. We're all here to have fun, after all. And to mow down my legions of terrible, terrible jobbers :).

Now let's all have fun :)!
Jabroniville

Re: Jabverse- The Victory League (IC)

Post by Jabroniville »

Here's where I'll post links to important stuff.
Jabroniville

Chapter One- The Introductory Meeting

Post by Jabroniville »

THE VICTORY LEAGUE:
CHAPTER ONE:

Nine of you are gathered in the main office of Hubert Maynard, the founder and owner of HuMayne Enterprises, a leading producer of "Super-Science", experimental armors, military contracts, and more. A public figure, he has been known to aide in the creation of technology that assists or imprisons those with metahuman powers. He's generally known to be quirky and a bit odd, but his business has only grown.

The office is dark blue and steel gray, in the modern style, with decor that is both stark and simple- pricey but not showy. A jovial man enters- a bit agitated, but jovial. His balding head (with a small tuft of hair at the front, abruptly swept to the side) is a bit sweaty, but he appears to be a bundle of nervous energy. You all recognize him as Maynard, who many of you have met.

"Welcome, WELCOME everyone!" he cries out. He's a natural salesman, though his voice is unimpressive and a bit high-pitched for a man in his late forties. "I've met almost all of you, but to those who I haven't, I am Hubert Maynard, the past-his-prime" (he chuckles nervously) "owner of HuMayne Enterprises, the building in which you now sit." He clicks a remote which activates the large screen in this, his personal office.

"You all know what you're here for by now- the formation of a BRAND-NEW super-team- a band that I call the VICTORY LEAGUE!" he shouts, eager to have everyone be impressed by this surely epic-sounding name. "What I've wanted to do from day one is get involved in the super-hero business. I love what you guys do, and I hate that the public sometimes fears and hates you because of the whole 'what they don't understand' thing", he air-quotes. I think it stinks that any super-team that isn't the Legion of Light or Liberty tends to, well, you know. And no disrespect to those guys, but they can't do EVERYTHING. And I really, really, want to build a SUCCESSFUL super-team."

"I built my business on things that apply to metahumans- improvements to Power Armor components. Power restraints for the world's most dangerous super-criminals. Military hardware to outfit our soldiers in this dangerous new world we're living in. But heck- if you don't believe how much I dig super-heroes... just check THIS out:"

He pushes another button, revealing a picture of an older-style Powersuit- green and sporting clunkier boots and gloves than are now common.

"THAT... was ME." This was a bit of a public scandal. "The biggest reason I want to help you guys is because I wanted to BE ONE OF YOU. I was gonna call myself- heh-heh- SUPERBOT, if you can believe that." He clicks forward, and a few news images are seen. "I spent millions of my company's dollars on a super-suit that could fly, shoot energy blasts, and lift dozens of tons. And of course, in my first mission... I got my butt handed to me. I decided I was going to 'Sidekick' Mega-Woman in her fight with the HUMAN TANK". A chill goes around the room- the Human Tank is one of the most powerful super-villains on Earth, and is generally thought of to be nigh-unstoppable. Only heroes as powerful as Mega-Woman can beat the likes of him, and it's always a catastrophic fight.

"And yeah- there you go" he says, pointing to an image of a broken-down, headless suit of armor, his battered body being pulled out. "Mega-Woman had to save my butt, risking her own life against a dangerous super-villain. It was a disaster- my board of directors pitched a fit, my stock prices fell through the floor, and I nearly died. It took YEARS to rebuild my reputation... So you know, I get it. I wanted the life so much I could TASTE it, and I nearly got killed for it. I was a screw-up. So I decided that when I got the chance, I would help out the REAL capable heroes -- YOU GUYS -- in any way I could. I've built things that can help young superhumans contain their powers, secretly funded certain heroes' operations when they had to go underground, and more. And THIS... is my biggest, greatest plan- the formation of a true-blue Super-Hero Team." He appears childlike in his eagerness.

"Now, I KNOW, I KNOW" he confesses, "there's not a great track record for a lot of super-teams thrown together out of people with un-shared origins. I mean, we all remember The Offenders. And the Protectors. And then there were the second Protectors. And that time with the New Protectors". Most of you probably nodded along, recognizing some names. Fewer would remember the New Protectors- they didn't last long. "And the... well IN ANY CASE, the public kind of expects these teams to not last very long. But WE have something that THEY didn't."

He clicks another button, revealing a dissheveled-looking, bespectacled young man sitting at a computer screen. "Ladies and gentlemen... Johnathan Abro Neville!"
"Uh... wait. This is today?", the man says.
"... Yeah. What are you doing?", Maynard replies, confused.
"Oh, I was just trying to compare Mega-Woman's basic, regular strength with that of Titanica in her 65-foot-tall height"
"...."
"...."
"You went with this many guys? I thought we agreed that the ideal team size is seve--"
"I KNOW, WHAT A GREAT TEAM, RIGHT?" Maynard interrupts, "Guys- this is J. Abro Neville, who some of you might know as the runner of the superhero-themed website- J. ABRO'S STATS! An elaborate list of heroes and villains; their origin stories; their powers; their histories; and more! This guy has the most elaborate knowledge of the intricacies of the business of anyone not directly IN it! Even heroes like the Legion of Light has sought his knowledge about some incredibly-obscure villain that literally everyone else alive has forgotten! Super-villains have threatened him over his knowledge of their most minor secrets! Now, some may call him a weirdo. They call him an obsessive shut-in. A guy so obsessed with minor details that he's sacrificed every other aspect of his li-"
"They do?" Johnanthan interrupts.
"OH! Haha, SOME may call him that, but they're WRONG! I have personally recruited this guy's expertise in order to help the rest of you along- he knows about hero history, super-powers, power-levels, the villains you might be facing, the backstory behind some of the wierdest places on Earth. With a special radio frequency, we can contact Mr. Neville even while you're in the field, and get the down-low on anyone you need to learn about." (Translation: Easy Exposition. Woo-Hoo!)

Maynard finishes his little speech, standing in front of the group. He implores you all "I really, REALLY want this team to work. I've recruited you guys from all over the place- a lot of powerhouses, some fliers, some fighters. Established heroes like the legendary Shield, and legacy heroes like the successor to Kid Hercules! With our combined knowledge" he gestures to Neville and himself, "we've tried to figure out the BEST WAY to make this work. Now, I'm not saying there won't be any HURDLES... but I think this is the best shot at success."

"You have my full support. Your home-base is RIGHT HERE- with our military defense contracts, we have access to the best security systems and personnel. You couldn't be safer while still being in a place like here in Mega-City. We've got the funding to access a former Legion of Light Air-Cruiser, giving us a Team Vehicle- and you KNOW how important those are- it's the one thing that bankrupts most nascent super-teams the fastest! We've figured out all the logistics, all the background, and all the best ways to ensure that the Victory League DOESN'T end up another 'New Protectors', you know? So don't think of me as the BOSS of you guys... but I wanna be your BACKER, you get me?"

He adds, "Some of you know each other. And we're missing one guy- a tenth recruit who I think you're really gonna like- some of you have met him, obviously. But for now, I think it's best you ALL learn a little bit more about each other! So feel free- mingle and converse! We have a few hours before we need to get started on what I think would be a GREAT 'starter mission' for you guys".
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 amThe office is dark blue and steel gray, in the modern style, with decor that is both stark and simple- pricey but not showy.
Adrien sat, in his Petit Hercule costume, in this conference room. Clearly it was meant to impress. But he was more taken with the assemblage of colourfully clad people. He opted to find a point in the front of the room to concentrate on.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 amA jovial man enters- a bit agitated, but jovial. His balding head (with a small tuft of hair at the front, abruptly swept to the side) is a bit sweaty, but he appears to be a bundle of nervous energy. You all recognize him as Maynard, who many of you have met.
Adrien was reminded of the American cartoon charater, Charlie Brown. Still Charlie Brown had never been this successful. He listened to Maynard's story and reasons for bringing this group together. (Ligue de la Victoire. Pas mal.)0o. He thought. [Victory League. Not bad.]
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 am "IN ANY CASE" Maynard continues, "this is J. Abro Neville, who some of you might know as the runner of the superhero-themed website- HEROSTATS! An elaborate list of heroes and villains; their origin stories; their powers; their histories; and more! This guy has the most elaborate knowledge of the intricacies of the business of anyone not directly IN it!"
Adrien wondered if le Petit Hercule was on this website. Or maybe even Kid Hercules. Adrien was still unsure of the upper level of his strength. He resolved to check this website soon. He continued to listen.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 amMaynard finishes his little speech, standing in front of the group. He implores you all "I really, REALLY want this team to work. I've recruited you guys from all over the place- a lot of powerhouses, some fliers, some fighters. Established heroes like the legendary Shield, and legacy heroes like the successor to Kid Hercules!"
Adrien was glad his hood would conceal his blush. Despite his discomfort, he turned and waved.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 amHe adds, "Some of you know each other. And we're missing one guy- a tenth recruit who I think you're really gonna like. But for now, I think it's best you ALL learn a little bit more about each other! So feel free- mingle and converse! We have a few hours before we need to get started on what I think would be a GREAT 'starter mission' for you guys".
"Pardon," Hercule said, in French. "I understand the need to get know one another, but if we have, how do you say, a lead time on this 'starter' mission, would it not be bien to begin tout suite?" [good/right now]
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

"Pah!"

Dr. Mercury interjects loudly as Maynard tells his story about trying to fight the Human Tank. "Battlesuits. Never trust any superpower you can't bring into the shower with you, I say." She sips her tea. "But please go on." She wears a bodysuit in red and blue with a back cutout.

She's quiet from then on, at least until Maynard asks the group to mingle. Then she waves her hand for attention.

"I am Makiko Wintour, you may also call me Doctor Mercury. Some of you I recall meeting, some of you I may or may not have met and forgotten, but if I've forgotten you please don't take it personally, my mind is very important and I sometimes have to discard old information to make room for new. I move fast and I lift heavy things, and now it seems I will be moving fast and lifting heavy things in a superheroic fashion. Possibly with some sort of utility belt." She looks at her teacup and frowns. "I have run out of tea."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

GALACTICA
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

K'lara stood out like a sore thumb. Even the fact her skin was a vibrant, energetic red just made her stand apart from her peers in the room. For those who could extrapolate such things, her skin color meant she was revved up, confident, ready to go. Back in the Federation, it would equate to a pre-match serge of energy that she would be harnessing for the endeavor to come, though it seemed it wasn't going to come soon enough for her liking.

"I agree with the short, muscular wrestler, but it's also good to be familiar with your stable mates, to know how they might have your back." Of course, she didn't know anyone's name, being a newer addition to the roster prior to the launch of the project proper and having had minimal exposure to Earth beforehand, though Maynard did have her cram studying some of the more basic Earth customs, so as to reduce the risk of her offending anyone too much, or being offended herself.

She frowns slightly, though the lack of color change to her skin marks it as a faux frown, more for show than anything. "Normally, I would be introduced to the sound of music and thunderous applause from fans, so I am not used to introducing myself. I am told the Federation broadcasting signals reach Earth though, so some of you may perhaps know of Kosmic K'lara!" she smiles and strikes the pose she traditionally would when being introed to the ring, a familiar sight for anyone who had seen her matches before.

She holds the pose for a moment, letting it sink in for her teammates then relaxes the pose to a more neutral stance. "I am told though, that superheroes on Earth have super names as a means to be better associated with their powers and work. Apparently "Galactica" tested well in a...focus....group? A bunch of people in a room saying whether a name sounds good or not. Anyways, I was informed Galactica was a good name to separate my Federation days with now being a superhero. So I am Kosmic K'lara to the Federation, but as a superhero, I am Galactica!" and she poses again! The energy she is containing, equal parts anxious and exhilarated definitely coming out in her manner of speech and each movement she makes.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

MUSTANG
HP-1 Condition-Normal

Walking through the building earlier,Todd had stopped an talked to people he'd made friends with last time he was here,mostly catching up.He'd been quite shocked when Maynard himself had showed up at the Restaurant to Recruit him for this gig.After getting the go-ahead from the rest of the Family/Not-family(he knew his 'family tree' somehow got tangled up in another one,but he wouldn't Change it"For all the Tea in China"),todd immediately accepted....
Shaking his head lightly "To clear the Ghosts out"(Aunt Natalia was supposed to be a Russian Witch,after all),Todd turned a chair backwards,giving everyone behind him a chance to see(he was a big man,after all).After Maynard gave his speil and introduced Neville(he'd have to remember to have a private word with the man 'bout what he knew about that Formula his 'Dad' originally took),the introductions started flying,much to Mustang's Chagrin.

Pulling a muscular arm up,Mustang decided to comment
"While i agree with Le Hercule here,i also think it's a good idea to get to know each other a little better.Just so we don't "Step on Anybodies toes",as the saying goes..."

Turning to Galactica,Todd grins as he say's
"You know,i got some nephews/not-nephews that're BIG fans of yours.I'll try to remember to introduce them to you later...."

Now came the Ugly part,to Todd's way of thinking.If they all reacted poorly,then he'd ask Maynard to take him off the team,as he was gonna have enough of a PR problem without an Internal issue on top of it.Taking a deep breath,he stood up and said to the rest of The League
"I guess i'll be next.When i'm "in Uniform" i go by Mustang.Out of it,my name is Todd Beauregard and i'm the son of Clyde Beauregard,alias The Crusher.I'm faster than him,just as Strong but with a MUCH thicker hide and greater leaping distance...."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Unassuming, in the back, is an attractive young dark-haired woman in the professional clothes of a mid-level executive assistant. She's near the back, by the coffee dispensers. She'll smile at everyone and ask if they'd like coffee, tea, or some other beverage, and pour it for them.

When Dr. Mercury mentions being out this young woman will come forward with a fresh cup, steam rolling upwards and a strainer with the Dr's previously selected blend. She'll set it before the Asian woman. "Here you are, Ma'am." then withdraw to the back again.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Silver Witch

Ariana couldn't believe she was here of all places. Just six months ago this would have seemed like a dream. Dealing with her powers and the "quirky" nature of them which gave her this costume, learning how to control them while on the job so to speak. And just two weeks ago after busting up some of the Baseball Furries attacking civilians in "their territory", only to have a limo pull up afterward with an invitation here.

Good thing the building didn't stand out, no use drawing attention from super-villains. Inside just before Mr. Maynard shows up, she recognizes a few of those assembled. K'lara, it had taken some work but gaining access to alien broadcast signals to watch some of her matches had been worth it, they were like right out of an anime. Seeing her in person she couldn't help but stare a little.

The Shield, he was actually here, the legend himself. She wouldn't even be alive if not for him, during WWII her grandfather had served alongside him and been saved more than once by the super soldier. The tales her grandfather told of this man, she only hoped she was up to the task of being on a team with him.

Mustang she recognized, having worked alongside him sometimes while out on patrol or dealing with a particular case, in particular when she almost got in over her head dealing with several members of the DIno Crew at once. He is a good guy to have on your side, though she hopes to get to know him better.

Ack, Doctor Mercury! After the testing by the government agents turned up blank on the source of her powers, not even registering as a metahuman, her parents had taken her to see some specialists for help. Doctor Mercury was the last one she saw, after those tests she refused to go through any more torture just to have no answers once again.

A guy here who reminds her a lot of Uncle Jacob, short but don't underestimate him based on his size nor look down on him for it either. She noticed him turn and wave when the successor to Kid Hercules was mentioned, whoa. Definitely a powerhouse with a legacy like that.

The girl who brought tea over to Dr. Mercury...Ariana couldn't help but stare. This was the kind of girl every guy at her school would have been fighting over to try and date, the cheerleaders who be bugging to join, someone who could easily get work as a model.

Shaking herself of her trance, Ariana began to blush as she noticed at least one of the guys staring at her in her costume. Stupid powers, why'd they have to make it so skimpy? "Hi everyone, I'm Silver Witch. No, my powers aren't magical in nature. I've had tests done by government agents and various specialists, including Dr. Mercury here, to try and figure out the source and origin of my powers. I'm listed as a basic metahuman in the government database, but don't register as one, nor do I know how I got my powers. 6 months ago I just suddenly could channel cosmic energy in the form of silver energy, as a force field, for propulsion to fly with, and creating silver constructs out of it as well as project energy blasts. And before you comment about the costume, it came with the powers and I have no idea why it is so skimpy and won't let me change its appearance. I can transform into my costume at will and back into my regular clothes just as fast. I do have first aid training and I'm good with people. And please, please don't comment on my figure. I was a plain Jane until just a little over 6 months ago and I'm still getting used to it. Mom says all the girls from her side of the family are late-bloomers." She is noticeably blushing while talking about her costume and figure.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Flyby

Sawyer was too excited to really hear most of what was being said, I mean he heard all the important stuff when it came to the team, but couldn't really concentrate during the history lesson (though he almost laughed out loud at Superbot and his costume). He was mostly looking over his teammates, trying to get a feel for them. (color=darkblue)Quite the group we have here; Warriors, gladiators, tanks, witches, and me, a guy that flies fast and runs into stuff. No biggie, I always bring my "A" game and I can't wait to show them what I'm made of,[/color] he thought.

After some of the other introductions, he steps forward with a grin on his face. "I go by Flyby, in my off time my real name is Robert Sawyer, but you guys can call me Sawyer. My powers are generating a force field and being able to fly. The two may not seem like much, but add in the fact that I'm the best damn flyer in town and you all will be astounded with what I can do." Grin still on his face he takes a step back and waves on the next person.
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Mako

It was pretty rare for Maia to find herself in a room where she didn't stand out - being tall, dark skinned, and covered in tattoos tends to get yyou noticed. But here, even wearing the black kydex faux-armor breastplate and green neoprene pants her brothers had made her (styled after their father's black t-shirt and green trunks look) and with a golden trident leaning in the corner, she actually seemed to blend in to the crowd. Le Petit Hercule's minimalist approach to a costume made her's seem downright prudish and Kosmic K'la, er, Galactica (that was goign to take some getting used to) just naturally attracted the eye... and was that The Shield!? Wow. He'd really come.

"Kia ora, I think most of you know me and I think I know most of you. But let's make it official as." Maia said with a broad smile, her New Zealand accent declaring war on the American concept of how vowels are suppossed to work, "I'm called Taniwha, although I'm bet'known as 'Mako' in the press here. Just like Flybie, my powers are simple as. I can swim at about 800 knots, don't need to breathe, and can withstand the high pressure of the ocean floor. Cool sideffect of that is that on dry land, I jump hella high and see in the dark..."

She stretched out her arm, hand open, and with a soft thrum that sounded a bit like an electrical current, the golden trident in the corner seemed to leap into her hand like an excited puppy.

"And this gizmo is called the Trident of Posedin. It lets me control the weather..." her expression turned from a broad smile into something a bit more sheepish, "Well, in theory. Still haven't gotten it to do much other than rain and fog. Pāpā could generate small hurricanes, tropical cyclones, and even hail... I'm still getting the hang of if, ay."
Last edited by Batgirl III on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Rosa is going around offering refills of coffee. When she approaches Le Petit Hercule she falters and blushes at the man's minimal clothing. Her hand touches the hand-sized polished wood cross hanging low on her torso, but she continues her rounds. When the aqueous heroine calls attention to her weapon Rosa's gaze lingers on it a moment. Her eyes fall to the coffee pot in her hand again and she continues making her rounds with the coffee. She pauses again when she approaches The Shield, her eyes widening, then lowering again. She mumbles her offer to refill his drink.

If anyone asks for decaf or something else she acknowledges the request and will return with it after her round with regular black coffee. Her pockets have packets of sugar, sweetener, and cream as requested.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:18 pm Unassuming, in the back, is an attractive young dark-haired woman in the professional clothes of a mid-level executive assistant. She's near the back, by the coffee dispensers. She'll smile at everyone and ask if they'd like coffee, tea, or some other beverage, and pour it for them.

When Dr. Mercury mentions being out this young woman will come forward with a fresh cup, steam rolling upwards and a strainer with the Dr's previously selected blend. She'll set it before the Asian woman. "Here you are, Ma'am." then withdraw to the back again.
(OOC: Wait, who's this? Are you inventing an NPC here? There's nobody else in here but the team and your benefactor. Or isthis Rosa you're referring to?)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:18 pm Unassuming, in the back, is an attractive young dark-haired woman in the professional clothes of a mid-level executive assistant. She's near the back, by the coffee dispensers. She'll smile at everyone and ask if they'd like coffee, tea, or some other beverage, and pour it for them.

"Oh. Thank you, Rosa, darling."

Doctor Mercury accepts the cup. She smiles at Rosa for a second before shifting her gaze to Mustang. "Your father set my field of study back by a generation, you know. A generation, at least."

(OOC: I assume this is Rosa, anyway?)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 am

"Oh. Thank you, Rosa, darling."

Doctor Mercury accepts the cup. She smiles at Rosa for a second before shifting her gaze to Mustang. "Your father set my field of study back by a generation, you know. A generation, at least."

(OOC: I assume this is Rosa, anyway?)
Rubbing the back of his head sheepishly,Todd blushes a bit as he replies to the Doctor's statement
"All i can say to that Doc is that i'm not him and never will be if i'm still breathing.Later i'll try to fill you in on what i know 'bout the Serum used...."

Taking a cup of Straight Black Coffee from the(as far as Todd knew) admin,Mustang gives her a smile as he say's(while offering his hand)
"Thanks....Rosa,right?You can call me Todd."