Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by Jabroniville »

I don't think the books indicate the exact point the damage leaves. It just says "times per minute equal to your rank", with, which Regeneration 2 means "every five rounds". I think ending it on his round or the round as a whole is fine. From what I've read, you can only take off the "-1" stuff first, THEN you can take off a Dazed, however.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, logistically, all turns in a round take place in the same 6 second period. So on that logic, Yeah, it doesn't largely matter when in the round regen 'procs'. However, traditionally, anything that automatically removes damage only occurs on your own turn as removing it at the top of the round can deny enemies the opportunity to benefit from the penalty or condition. That's why I said on his turn, more from a game balance perspective.

I have also never seen anyone try to have regeneration remove damage outside of their own turn. But you are right, nothing anywhere suggests when the damage should come off except to say it is spread out over the minute based on ranks in the power.

Either way, regen isn't removing Dazed before the two -1 penalties, so that definitely won't drop off until the end of his next turn as normal for daze inflicted by damage.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Was there ever an official ruling on that? I’m curious as to the timing now.

Ps I’ve been statting up Regen-using characters for years, and I think this is the first time I’ve actually looked at the math since the rule book came out :).

I would think doing it on a character’s turn made the most sense. Too much work figuring out when the last damage was done.

It’s weird- why does Regen take off the minuses first, while regular recovery take off the big conditions first?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Because Regen is supposed to work slowly but constantly, while Recovery would conceptually be done OUT of combat.
It's like the difference between Spider-Man's healing and Wolverine's.Spidey's needs time to work(hence why it would be under Recovery), while Logan's is constantly working(and the reason it's under Regen)...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 am It’s weird- why does Regen take off the minuses first, while regular recovery take off the big conditions first?
It is wierd that way. That's why as a GM I've never done minuses first and conditions separate. My regular gaming group has always done "your time interval is up so you remove one minus one and then you remove the worst condition... then when your time interval is up you remove another minus one and then your next worst condition". Essentially treating the healing of them similarly to the dealing of them, where one receives a minus one and then a condition.

The language is vague enough that I can see both interpretations being valid. So, as with many things with role-playing games, I prefer to look to how the GM wants to interpret them, rather than trying to worry about rules lawyering.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 am Was there ever an official ruling on that? I’m curious as to the timing now.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 amI would think doing it on a character’s turn made the most sense. Too much work figuring out when the last damage was done.
I hunted around, but there does not appear to be, but let me present it like this;
Regeneration has "No Action", so is always active and based on a 1 minute cycle. It makes sense that the minute starts and ends on your own turn, and so each interval that Regeneration would proc based on your ranks, would also be on your own turn. It's also a lot easier to track that way.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 amPs I’ve been statting up Regen-using characters for years, and I think this is the first time I’ve actually looked at the math since the rule book came out :).

Like I said, I've never seen anyone try to have Regeneration heal their conditions outside their own turn. During my search, I have seen people say that THEY have seen games where at the top of the round is normal as well. What's important is consistency.

With K'lara's Regeneration, she needs to cause damage, I just figured every second round that she does damage, even if there are multiple rounds in between where she does not, her Regen procs and recovers a penalty/condition. This gets more complicated when you factor in things like Prepared actions or Reaction damage.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 amIt’s weird- why does Regen take off the minuses first, while regular recovery take off the big conditions first?
I think it's so that if a character is knocked out, it doesn't get them immediately back on their feet, but still all beaten up so they just end up getting knocked out again. I will admit it's a little strange that Regeneration heals backwards compared to everything else.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

It’s a nice contrast between regen and healing.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Ken wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:46 am It is wierd that way. That's why as a GM I've never done minuses first and conditions separate. My regular gaming group has always done "your time interval is up so you remove one minus one and then you remove the worst condition... then when your time interval is up you remove another minus one and then your next worst condition". Essentially treating the healing of them similarly to the dealing of them, where one receives a minus one and then a condition.

The language is vague enough that I can see both interpretations being valid. So, as with many things with role-playing games, I prefer to look to how the GM wants to interpret them, rather than trying to worry about rules lawyering.
I can see where you are coming from on that, but, the wording does indicate to remove penalties each minute, then to remove more serious conditions each minute. The repetition of "each minute" makes it clear enough Regeneration is only intended to recover one thing each interval, not two. Regeneration would otherwise be much more powerful than a 1pp/rank power should be.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Regeneration Ruling: I'm thinking the Regeneration should take place at the start of the player's turn in Initiative. Just seems easier that way. As the rules indicate, you can remove the Dazed/Staggered stuff later.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Try these two hypothetical battles...

Spider-Man fights Wolverine. Eventually, Peter inflicts multiple blows, lets say 8, minus ones to Logan's Toughness checks and then Spidey staggers Logan.

Thor fights Wolverine. Thor whales on Logan with Mjolnir, staggering Logan with one shot.

The way I don't normally use Regeneration would mean Logan would be staggered for the 9 intervals it would take to heal from Spider Man's punches. But, it would only take two intervals to become unstaggered from to Thor's hammer strike.

The way the RCU players use Regeneration Logan would be unstaggered in just 1 interval. There would still be bruising that Peter delivered that would be healing, whereas the blow from Mjolnir would be completely healed, and that's still weird.

One of method has Logan clearing his head with the same speed; the other has Logan being staggered for noticeably longer from Spider-Man's blows than from Thor's.

I postulate that while both situations are flawed, that Wolverine being staggered longer by Spider-Man's blows than he would be by Thor's blow is inconsistent with the source material.

Also, my way doesn't make it impossible for Regeneration to affect dazed.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Also, my way doesn't make it impossible for Regeneration to affect dazed.
Not true if you had enough ranks of Regen. Either way, Dazed is hardly worth being concerned about. You don't lose your free actions, so sustained powers are unaffected, and it only lasts for 1 round.

To be fair, the 2E version of Regeneration, while far more complex, was more encompassing. When they overhauled it for 3E, they kind of overshot into the "too simple" territory.

Staggered isn't even THAT bad except that taking a second stagger from Damage (specifically) will Incapacitate. Note, taking a second Stagger from affliction doesn't do this (unless it has a cumulative effect leading to incapacitated). Stagger from damage is "sticky", so is more annoying to be sure and adds Hindered to the Dazed condition.

For a way around the situation with Wolverine there, I'd postulate he'd power stunt something off his regen to get off Staggered quicker. Alternatively a power construct like this: Healing X, Triggered (Failing a toughness save by 2 or more degrees), Limited(Self only) would help clear off dazed or staggered. It would require a standard action in advance, but still, clearing away such a condition quickly can make a difference.

There is also always the once-per-conflict Recovery action.

And all that being said, at least Damage doesn't Stun any more. THAT was what would kill a character quick, being stun-locked, sustain powers dropping, unable to act, basically helpless while receiving further pummeling.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Who all is still up among the Weapon Masters?
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm Who all is still up among the Weapon Masters?
From the first page of this thread (where I sticky it to keep better track of things... then add things because twice a day I'm reminded of something else I'd left out):

Flyby 22 (Agi 4)
Flail: 22 (Bruised -1)
Semilla 22 (Agi 2)
Silver Witch 22
Slyce 22
Mustang 21
Spear: 17 (Bruised -2)
Staff 16
Fist: 16

La Petit Hercule: 15 (Dazed, Bruised -2)
Halberd: 13
Dr. Mercury 12
Lasso: 12 (-1)
Galactica 8 (Fatigued, Bruised)
The Shield 6
Sword: 6 (Staggered, -3)

In short, Halberd, Staff & Fist are apparently invincible.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Galactica isn't bruised. She regenned that like 3 rounds ago :lol:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:32 pm In short, Halberd, Staff & Fist are apparently invincible.
No, Halberd isn't.
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 am
Ken wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am le Petit Hercule
HP: 1 Luck: 1 Condition: -1 (4 Dodge & 4 Parry) Initiative: 15 Round Counter: 5

With the red-clad sai-wielder and the cerulean-clad Asian-sword wielder down Adrian wasn't sure, but he was fairly certain the Victory League was no longer out-numbered by the Weapon Masters. But, with several of his teammates double-teaming some of the Masters, it seemed likely to Adrian that some of these guys would start to 'cut-and-run' soon. Still, Halberd (or 'Glaive', as Adrian thought of him) was the most immediate threat, from Hercule's perspective. Hercule improved his defensive stance a little, and went in for another punch: a jab at the grey-glaive wielder's solar plexus.
"'Clumsy strikes and poor reach will never get' you. Ç'est vrai."
Indeed. (or That's true.)
(lol- 17 vs. 25. He's dazed, but not much worse)

Halberd is clearly injured by the shot to his front, stumbling back a bit, but he doesn't fall. "UGH!! You'-- COUGH COUGH!!!-- pay for that, Frog..." he mutters, gasping for breath.